Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I was using a Latitude D530. i just installed the leopardGraphicUpdate1.0.pkg from their site and after i reboot it shows a black screen and my hdd led was on all the time so i restarted again and it worked and still is

your laptop have a 1024X768 screen?

EIT: @all

anyone tested 101.5.3 update from kaly or jasser on D630?

Yes it's 1024X768.

anyone with working sleep and my cpu temp is always above 50 C how can i lower it cos normally it should be around 30-40

I was using a Latitude D530. i just installed the leopardGraphicUpdate1.0.pkg from their site and after i reboot it shows a black screen and my hdd led was on all the time so i restarted again and it worked and still is

Do you have a gmax3100? Updates are fine for people with the nvidia cards. If so, do you have QE/CI?

Hi Roneil4,

I can revert back with time machine, but in all cases i removed the previous kext before I installed the old ones. Would that still cause this issue?

It still does. Somehow leopard graphics update changes other parts of the system, and that makes the old kexts incompatible with the system until you reinstall the OS.

I am going to test it soon. I didn't want to do it right away because after checking the package with pacifist, I noticed that it includes new graphics kexts. I am assuming that these kexts are the same as the ones in leopard graphics update, so it probably isn't a good idea to install until we can get leopard graphics update to work. I just needed some time to back up my files. I will try to first get leopard graphics update to work.

Yes it's 1024X768.

anyone with working sleep and my cpu temp is always above 50 C how can i lower it cos normally it should be around 30-40

I am unfamiliar with your specifications and your laptop so I can't really help you much. This thread is for D630s and D830s, so it is probably the wrong place to ask.

ron, the D530 have the same tecnology of 630/830 same chipset, same vga.

i presume the GA problem is only on screen with non convensional (1024X768) resolution. :(

you have 1280X900 or (my same) 1440X900?

bye

ron, the D530 have the same tecnology of 630/830 same chipset, same vga.

i presume the GA problem is only on screen with non convensional (1024X768) resolution. ;)

you have 1280X900 or (my same) 1440X900?

bye

I have a 1440x900 screen, but resolution shouldn't make a difference unless you have a 1024x768 screen, which should make things work more easily.

so ron can u pls help me with sleep, my laptop can go to sleep but never wakes up

What is your graphics card? And what kernel are you using? If you are using the vanilla kernel, try the sleep fix kexts I posted in the first post.

I have a 1440x900 screen, but resolution shouldn't make a difference unless you have a 1024x768 screen, which should make things work more easily.

What is your graphics card? And what kernel are you using? If you are using the vanilla kernel, try the sleep fix kexts I posted in the first post.

under windows it says intel 965 Express under mac its GMA X3100 and using Darwin 9.2.0, and my cpu fan is not spinning at all

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is my first time trying to make an OSX install on a PC, and my first post.

I am trying to install iATKOS v1.0ir2 on an external usb hard drive. During installation i never get the install succesful prompt, my computer jsut restarts and will not boot off of the usb harddrive. Any suggestions?

I keep trying to install the stock kernal and the install hangs very early on in the process.

my comp is a 630 with a nvidia quadro

Gotrpms: I did the same thing as you are trying at for me it worked. I have a d630 with a NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M. I installed iAtkosv1.0R2 on an external hdd connected via usb. I remember that it took a really long time to copy the files from the install dvd to the drive, like over an hour. The mouse was responsive all the time. When does your install hang?

When the install was complete it didn't boot properly from the usb-drive. I installed Ubuntu and Grub on it, edited the grub.conf file to load OSX from /dev/sdb3 or something and it worked like a charm. Later on I installed iAtkos v2.0 to a partition of my internal HDD when I was convinced it all ran smoothly and used the XP boot loader.

Another idea for you might be to try iAtkos v2.0

Good luck,

Mr. Blond

Is there a guide to installing ubuntu and grub to get osx to boot?

I believe that now my install did complete successfully, but i still cannot get OSX to boot from the USB hard disk. Are there any ideas here?

Im now getting the blinking cursor of death, i have flagged my partition using the method on the first page of the guide, via

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...77596&st=20 i am going to try Hirens boot cd

i have reinstalled my hack,

iAtkos 2.0i, moved vga kext, installed Mysticus C* pack(only update & default vanilla kext) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

used this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465

tnx to AJ.Allen & simcolor.

& Errand sleep trick

WORKS PERFECLY!

byebye :unsure:

theSLug

EDIT:

natutally all test on a D630

i now installed patched AppleHDA.kext, sond works on 10.5.3, but shoutdown not plus works!

Gotrpms: the blinking cursor of death is exactly what I got as well...

how I installed ubuntu and got osx to boot(will have to repartition the usb drive, will loose all data on drive, and you will have to reinstall osx on the drive):

boot ubuntu from live cd (free downloadable from internet)

start ubuntu installation

(re)format usb disc with at least 10GB left for OSX, format this part to FAT32 and let ubuntu create the other necesarry partition

complete the installation

reboot from usb drive into ubuntu

install grub

reboot from osx install cd

install osx on the fat32 partition (reformat it as HFS+ journaled first)

reboot, you will get the blinking cursor of dead...

boot from ubuntu livecd

repair grub (use google for simple guide) and/or use gparted to set the right partition as bootable

edit /boot/grub/menu.1st to be able to boot the osx partition from grub

reboot and start osx, and smile (I hope so)...

I think I remember I used http://cybernet1.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-...s-mac-os-x.html as a guideline

Good luck,

Mr. Blond

D830 notes:

Kalyway 10.5.2 does not work on the D830 at all. I guess you can do a 10.5.1 install according to some and then do the update. Instructions aren’t very clear with 10.5.1 though, I tried a couple of times with varying settings with no luck. There is talk about using the vanilla, tried it with and without, tried selecting EFI and also tried deselecting GUID (which isn’t mentioned). Case in point, following this guide you can’t install 10.5.1 on the D830.

iATKOS v2 works fine without any BS. Other than doing the commands for the video drivers right as the install finishes you don’t have to do anything, it just works. Your video will be stuck at 1024x768 though.

Problem with this guide however: following the x3100 instructions it totally screws the install. You see a quick blue screen and then black, I waited for 30ish minutes for something to happen. I also tried your fix, by booting in with –s and repeating the commands you posted to fix this issue. Doesn’t work.

Time to reinstall for the fifth time.

Ok well i was hoping that by updating to 10.5.2 the vga our and dual monitor would work but somehow the update messed my system up. I am going to start over but while im waiting, has anyone gotten the vga out or dual monitor working.

My specs

d630

nvidia quadro

iaktos v1.0r2

Ok i have one more question guys. Since im new to the Hackinosh thing, what is the proper way to update to 10.5.2? I have seen several guides and im just not sure what steps apply to my setup? Any advice?

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed with most things working. The main issue I have is that the CDRW/DVD drive is not visiable and will not mount any discs. Does anyone have an idea about this?
I have never experienced this issue, and I am unsure about how you would fix it. Is this on a Dell Latitude d630 or d830?
Is there a guide to installing ubuntu and grub to get osx to boot?I believe that now my install did complete successfully, but i still cannot get OSX to boot from the USB hard disk. Are there any ideas here?Im now getting the blinking cursor of death, i have flagged my partition using the method on the first page of the guide, via http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...77596&st=20 i am going to try Hirens boot cd
I was never able to get os x to boot from an external drive either, but I only tried it with kalyway.
i have reinstalled my hack,iAtkos 2.0i, moved vga kext, installed Mysticus C* pack(only update & default vanilla kext) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102used this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465tnx to AJ.Allen & simcolor.& Errand sleep trickWORKS PERFECLY!byebye :) theSLugEDIT:natutally all test on a D630i now installed patched AppleHDA.kext, sond works on 10.5.3, but shoutdown not plus works!
This is great! I'll add this information to the first post when I get some time.
D830 notes:Kalyway 10.5.2 does not work on the D830 at all. I guess you can do a 10.5.1 install according to some and then do the update. Instructions aren’t very clear with 10.5.1 though, I tried a couple of times with varying settings with no luck. There is talk about using the vanilla, tried it with and without, tried selecting EFI and also tried deselecting GUID (which isn’t mentioned). Case in point, following this guide you can’t install 10.5.1 on the D830.iATKOS v2 works fine without any BS. Other than doing the commands for the video drivers right as the install finishes you don’t have to do anything, it just works. Your video will be stuck at 1024x768 though.Problem with this guide however: following the x3100 instructions it totally screws the install. You see a quick blue screen and then black, I waited for 30ish minutes for something to happen. I also tried your fix, by booting in with –s and repeating the commands you posted to fix this issue. Doesn’t work.Time to reinstall for the fifth time.
MBR/GUID settings are dependent on the setup you are using. In most cases MBR is the right choice. I assumed that someone would know enough about partition schemes to deselect that. This guide is not compeletely noob proof! If you install iATKOS with 10.5.2, you can't use the kexts I posted earlier, because the iATKOS installation includes the leopard graphics update. Same thing goes for kalyway 10.5.2. Also, you may have incorrectly installed the the sleepdisplay script. I haven't updated the guide for a while, so I didn't include which versions of the discs to use. When it was written, all of the discs included only 10.5.1. theSlug has found a way of using 10.5.3 (which includes the graphics update) w/ the gmax3100, so I need to update/rewrite many parts of the guide anyways, so I will make sure to include that. I will try to update the guide soon, but I am still in school and we have final exams this coming week, so I don't know when I will be able to update it.
Ok i have one more question guys. Since im new to the Hackinosh thing, what is the proper way to update to 10.5.2? I have seen several guides and im just not sure what steps apply to my setup? Any advice?
Use the unmodified update, and follow the instructions posted on netkas's site. Once it is complete, reboot, and everything will be updated. You will need to reapply all patches (except the graphics ones) in the first post, but that is fairly quick.

So roneil is their anyway you know of to enable the vga out for dual monitors on iATKOS. Also another poster in this thread suggested that leo4all solved his dual display issue, any tips or suggestions on installing leo4all? Is the procedure the same? Can the 10.5.3 update be applied in the same way with the netkas tutorial?

I have never experienced this issue, and I am unsure about how you would fix it. Is this on a Dell Latitude d630 or d830?I was never able to get os x to boot from an external drive either, but I only tried it with kalyway.This is great! I'll add this information to the first post when I get some time.MBR/GUID settings are dependent on the setup you are using. In most cases MBR is the right choice. I assumed that someone would know enough about partition schemes to deselect that. This guide is not compeletely noob proof! If you install iATKOS with 10.5.2, you can't use the kexts I posted earlier, because the iATKOS installation includes the leopard graphics update. Same thing goes for kalyway 10.5.2. Also, you may have incorrectly installed the the sleepdisplay script. I haven't updated the guide for a while, so I didn't include which versions of the discs to use. When it was written, all of the discs included only 10.5.1. theSlug has found a way of using 10.5.3 (which includes the graphics update) w/ the gmax3100, so I need to update/rewrite many parts of the guide anyways, so I will make sure to include that. I will try to update the guide soon, but I am still in school and we have final exams this coming week, so I don't know when I will be able to update it.Use the unmodified update, and follow the instructions posted on netkas's site. Once it is complete, reboot, and everything will be updated. You will need to reapply all patches (except the graphics ones) in the first post, but that is fairly quick.

Use the iATKOS DVD and works without any issues, Kalyway had issues with the ATA controller in the D630 so no DVD once it was installed

So roneil is their anyway you know of to enable the vga out for dual monitors on iATKOS. Also another poster in this thread suggested that leo4all solved his dual display issue, any tips or suggestions on installing leo4all? Is the procedure the same? Can the 10.5.3 update be applied in the same way with the netkas tutorial?

I don't know of any way of doing this, because I am unfamiliar with your graphics card. Because you have the nvidia quadro card, updating to 10.5.3 could help fix any graphics issues you have. To upgrade to 10.5.3, follow the same procedures as for 10.5.2.

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this guide. With some small modifications to your instructions I now have OSX 10.5.3 running at almost 100% on my D630, the only things that arent working are my NIC (same for everyone else it seems), and my Wireless (its one of the Intel cards). For now im using a wireless pcmcia card but I ordered one of the Dell Truemobile 1390 cards to replace it, which my research tells me will work perfectly.

So after I get that truemobile card I will be at 98%....still no working NIC, but who cares....I have a PCMCIA wired NIC if I REALLY have to plug in.

My d630 has the Nvidia Quadro in it, and it also works perfectly with CI/QE enabled. I used the NVInstaller v52 to get that working.

My steps...

1. Download and install iAtkos 2.0i BS release.

* I did not change to AHCI, im not sure if im gimping my performance by keeping it set to ATA. *

2. Install with vanilla kernel. I used GUID rather than MBR, so YMMV on that.

3. Install sound drivers per your instructions.

4. Install PCMCIA drivers per your instructions.

5. Install nvidia drivers from the aforementioned source.

6. My wireless PCMCIA was detected as Airport and worked out of box.

***You can quit here if you are happy with running 10.5.2

7. Download and installed kalyway_10.5.3_ComboUpdate, followed the instructions within.

8. After starting back up, my video didnt have CI or QE support so I reinstalled the drivers as before and it went back to working 100%.

9. My battery meter and PCMCIA stopped working after the upgrade so I installed the PCMCIA and vanilla battery meter fix from this package. The PCMCIA and Battery meter files from your instructions may have worked but I wanted to see if I could get the two finger scrolling from the post installer package working and just went ahead and installed those from there. (the two finger scrolling didnt work out, i havent had time to figure out why)

If you have this laptop and have the Truemobile wireless already you should be at 98% functionality by following these steps, the only thing that wont work is the onboard wired NIC.

** oops....also I havent tried to use the VGA out, so im not certain if that works or not, I saw some posts from people who were having trouble with that. I dont use that functionality, so I dont really care.

Anyway, thanks again. Your post was a good source of info and gave me a great starting point.