Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I need help, I've tried everything I know (which admittedly is not much with regard to OSX).

I have a Dell Inspiron D830 with Intel X3100, and display with 1680x1050 resolution. I have followed all steps in the guide with Kalyway 10.5.1, updated to 10.5.4 with the Apple Combo Update, and then installed the X3100 drivers and the sleep script. I always get a black screen after that. Twice or three times I have managed to get a response from the screen after leaving the laptop alone for a while, then touching the touchpad, but all I see is the mouse cursor in the upper left corner, immovable, and when I use the touchpad, a heavily distorted mouse pointer, made up of lines of changing colours, moves around the screen on a black background. Nothing more...

My laptop has 2GB of RAM, 120GB HD, a Core2Duo processor, Dell WiFi card, Bluetooth... it's a fairly standard D830, except maybe for the 1680x1050 display, which was an upgrade from the standard resolution. Could that be the cause of my problems with the X3100 drivers?

I'd be grateful for any ideas pointing to a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sergio, interesting, I am on the exact same situation. I haven't actually read of anyone explicitly with a D830 and x3100 working. All working reports are either D630 or NVDIA graphics. It dosen't make much sense because as far as I know it is exactly the same computer with different screen sizes and the x3100 apple driver should be able to handle the higher resolutions...

Hi Sergio, interesting, I am on the exact same situation. I haven't actually read of anyone explicitly with a D830 and x3100 working. All working reports are either D630 or NVDIA graphics. It dosen't make much sense because as far as I know it is exactly the same computer with different screen sizes and the x3100 apple driver should be able to handle the higher resolutions...

Hi LeoonDell! I have by now read nearly all pages of this post. I am pretty sure I have seen some claiming to have the D830 working. I've even seen your screenshot, and it looks exactly like my problem... I hope someone more knowledgeable will see our posts and take pity on us :P If you find any solution, pleas let me know. I'll do the same for you! Good luck!

This is odd, most people say that the bluetooth works out of the box. I don't have a bluetooth module, so I don't really know...

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I had noticed too, since there are so few posts regarding it. right now, there is no bluetooth icon in system preferences, and when I try to open up bluetooth explorer, it says it cannot detect anything.

For the people that have bluetooth on the D630 / D830: What are your bios settings? There are options related to bluetooth and the wireless switch, what are those set at!

I will be highly appreciative!

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I had noticed too, since there are so few posts regarding it. right now, there is no bluetooth icon in system preferences, and when I try to open up bluetooth explorer, it says it cannot detect anything.

For the people that have bluetooth on the D630 / D830: What are your bios settings? There are options related to bluetooth and the wireless switch, what are those set at!

I will be highly appreciative!

Hi Kirby, not that I'm a good example to follow, since I haven't been able so far to get graphics acceleration working on my D830 with X3100, but everything else that is supposed to work on the 630/830, I've had working, including the Bluetooth. When starting up, my BT indicator is already lit, and mi BIOS settings (BIOS version A12) has the following settings in the Wireless sections: INternal Bluetooth: Enabled, Internal WiFi: Enabled, Internal Cellular: Off (I don't think I have it), Wireless switch: "All", Wifi Catcher: Enabled (I don't know yet what this does, I have changed nothing with this setting). Good luck!

If it's not asking too much: have a think about what might cause my problems with the X3100 drivers... LeoonDell has exactly the same problems on his D830. I would be grateful for any help...

Kirby, did you get Vista on your machine? If so, did you implicitly choose the XP bluetooth module?

The Vista bluetooth module and the XP bluetooth module are actually the same, for hardware, but are different with firmware. The Vista one contains handicaps for a mentally-disabled OS and therefore doesn't work properly in OS X. However, you can boot into Windows (I believe you can do it in Vista or XP), download the XP bluetooth firmware, and flash the bluetooth module. I'm just theorizing, but if you do it in Vista it may disappear after you flash the XP firmware.

Though this may be a pain if you wiped off Windows, from what I've heard it should fix the issue.

Good Luck,

theStevo

It's actually a work computer, so I didn't customize it myself. However, I do believe that originally it had Vista on it...

And right now OS X is the only os on it, so I can't really boot into windows... but I might try installing windows to an external hard drive or something.

Would I get the firmware off of Dell's website, or is this a third-party thing?

Hi LeoonDell! I have by now read nearly all pages of this post. I am pretty sure I have seen some claiming to have the D830 working. I've even seen your screenshot, and it looks exactly like my problem... I hope someone more knowledgeable will see our posts and take pity on us ;) If you find any solution, pleas let me know. I'll do the same for you! Good luck!

:D I got it! Finally!

Well to a 90% I would say. After reading the original thread where AJ Allen and simcolor published original their kexts, I did following. First downloaded the original simcolor kexts. Installed:

-AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext extracted of the Leopard GFX Update (LGU)

-AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from simcolor (downloaded from the original thread)

-Natit.kext from simcolor (downloaded from the original thread)

First sign of live! It booted at 1600x1000. I changed it to 1920x1200 and worked. Only thing is the mouse pointer was deformed (at 1920x1200 only) and there was no QE/CI. :P

So I decided to install the remaining files:

-AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

-AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

-AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

At this point I decided to use the one's extracted from the LGU. Rebooted, no luck.

Booted into -s and deleted this last installed files. Booted to Leopard and it worked again. So I decided to use the ones from the first post. It worked! Fully accelerated. But curiously only at 1600x1000. If I try to change to 1920x1200 the laptop freezes. Oh well, I was never a fan of the superlittle pixels anyway. At 1600x1000 I can live happy for the time-being. ;)

I'll attach the files I used so the other D830's can try them. If it doesn't work at first, try installing in the previously described steps (first X3100.kext, X3100FB.kext and Natit.kext reboot and then the rest).

Saludos!

P.S. Upload is not working, I'll try it later again.

Would I get the firmware off of Dell's website, or is this a third-party thing?

The bluetooth firmware is available on Dell's website under their hardware support area. Just choose XP as the OS and it'll show you at least 1 update for the bluetooth hardware. Under Vista is will show a similar update but that's the one that messes things up for OS X. The XP firmware updated bluetooth module will still work in Vista, at least it works fine for me in Vista. I have a D830 with the 2.2 Ghz dual cores and 4G memory running XP business or Vista business. I've paired the module with my desktop G4 Mac with a USB bluetooth dongle and with one of the MoGo X54 mouse and they both work fine in Vista, I've transferred files and use the mouse all the time. So I have no idea what the Vista version of the firmware is supposed to fix over what is in the XP version considering the XP firmware seems to work just fine and supports BT 2.1.

thumbsup_anim.gif I got it! Finally!

Well to a 90% I would say. After reading the original thread where AJ Allen and simcolor published original their kexts, I did following. First downloaded the original simcolor kexts. Installed:

-AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext extracted of the Leopard GFX Update (LGU)

-AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from simcolor (downloaded from the original thread)

-Natit.kext from simcolor (downloaded from the original thread)

First sign of live! It booted at 1600x1000. I changed it to 1920x1200 and worked. Only thing is the mouse pointer was deformed (at 1920x1200 only) and there was no QE/CI. sleep.gif

So I decided to install the remaining files:

-AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

-AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

-AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

At this point I decided to use the one's extracted from the LGU. Rebooted, no luck.

Booted into -s and deleted this last installed files. Booted to Leopard and it worked again. So I decided to use the ones from the first post. It worked! Fully accelerated. But curiously only at 1600x1000. If I try to change to 1920x1200 the laptop freezes. Oh well, I was never a fan of the superlittle pixels anyway. At 1600x1000 I can live happy for the time-being. wink_anim.gif

I'll attach the files I used so the other D830's can try them. If it doesn't work at first, try installing in the previously described steps (first X3100.kext, X3100FB.kext and Natit.kext reboot and then the rest).

Saludos!

P.S. Upload is not working, I'll try it later again.

Hola LeoonDell,

THANK YOU very much! I'll try your approach... I'll try finding those files, but keep looking here in case you've managed uploading in the meantime. I'll post my results. By the way, my native screen resolution is lower than yours, I opted for the 1680x1050 screen rather than the 1920x1200 - for the same reason you mentioned: I don't like the small pixels either...

Muchas gracias de nuevo!

Hi again LeoonDell!

as promised, I'm reporting back... my results are similar to yours: I get a distorted mouse pointer at my display's native resolution (1680x1050), but good results and full hardware acceleration at 1600x1000. The drivers' developers are nearly there! Congratulations on your hard work. Hopefully a solution to this can be found... if additionally the broadcomm wired NIC can be made to work, the Latitude D830 will be a near perfect Hackintosh!

Thank you very much for sharing! Hasta pronto

Update: after installing the .kexts as LeoonDell described, I changed the resolution back and forth between 1680x1050 and 1600x1000 serveral times, getting the same results as LeoonDell: when choosing my display's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looked fine except for the mouse pointer, which was distorted; and at 1600x1000 it looked fine. I continued installing the pc card drivers of the first post in this thread (Chun-Nan), and left it at that. Later I tried again to change the resolution to 1680x1050, and the computer would hang with a black screen. I restarted (thankfully the computer started with the last working resolution selected), so I activated VoiceOver before attempting this again. The computer managed to speak out the resolution while the screen changed to black; then the hard disk would show activity for a moment, and then hang, with no reaction to any key or mouse movements, and VoiceOver not "saying" anything...

Update: after installing the .kexts as LeoonDell described, I changed the resolution back and forth between 1680x1050 and 1600x1000 serveral times, getting the same results as LeoonDell: when choosing my display's native resolution of 1680x1050, everything looked fine except for the mouse pointer, which was distorted; and at 1600x1000 it looked fine. I continued installing the pc card drivers of the first post in this thread (Chun-Nan), and left it at that. Later I tried again to change the resolution to 1680x1050, and the computer would hang with a black screen. I restarted (thankfully the computer started with the last working resolution selected), so I activated VoiceOver before attempting this again. The computer managed to speak out the resolution while the screen changed to black; then the hard disk would show activity for a moment, and then hang, with no reaction to any key or mouse movements, and VoiceOver not "saying" anything...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've got.

En fin...

hey I just wanted to let you guys know, I tried the speedstep kext posted earlier (i forget who posted it) and it works great with the vanilla kernel. Also, I tried the link in thestevo's signature for the clamshelldisplay kext, and that worked great for enabling the lid sensor. Although it always worked to open the lid after sleep, shutting the lid never put the computer to sleep, but now it does.

also, I have a question for thestevo. Your signature says that your xbench score for your laptop is 138. Just out of curiosity, what is your disk score? My xbench is around 80, but that is mainly because of the gmax3100's abysmal performance (25 on the openGL test) and my disk test score (which i don't remember right now). Every other category is over 100. I am guessing that the main cause for the difference is the gfx card, but I have also wondered why I get such low disk scores with a 7200 rpm 320 gb hard drive.

EDIT: My disc score is 64

Xbench give me 105 with disk test activated and 120 without.

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel

Product: ICH8-M AHCI

Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

WDC WD3200BEVT-00ZCT0:

Capacity: 298.09 GB

Model: WDC WD3200BEVT-00ZCT0

Revision: 11.01A11

Serial Number: WD-WXE408CL8387

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

The disk results from xbench are this:

Results 56.20

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.4 (9E17)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model iMac7,1

Drive Type WDC WD3200BEVT-00ZCT0

Disk Test 56.20

Sequential 76.91

Uncached Write 83.68 51.38 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 92.54 52.36 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 50.09 14.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 107.69 54.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 44.28

Uncached Write 17.10 1.81 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 116.85 37.41 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 69.64 0.49 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 111.90 20.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Ill do the same test with ahci off and we'll see what happens. System Profiler reporting ahc8-m could be a clue, shouldn't this be ahc9?

Does anybody know if mbr patritions slow things down in osx?

/roos

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Dell D630 from eBay for $455 including shipping and installed iATKOS like the instructions provided by roneil4 in the beginning of this thread. It worked exactly like he said. Here is my configuration:

Dell D630 14" with iATKOS OSx 10.5.4

* Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz BIOS A13 (both core working)

* Seagate 80GB 7200RPM hard drive under ATA mode (did not work under ACHI mode)

* nVidia Quadro NVS 135M 1440x900 (working with nVidia installer)

* Wireless LAN Dell 1390 (working as AirPort)

* Battery Meter (working, but time is kind of messed up)

* Bluetooth Wireless 360 Module (working)

* Internal USB Slots (working)

* Firewire 1394 (working)

* Sigmatel HD Audio 9205 (working)

* CD/DVD-RW (pending buring CD/DVD)

* Sleep (did not try, since I disabled it)

* LAN Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx (not working)

* Shutdown and Restart (not working)

It also worked with my Panasonic KX-P7305 Full Duplex laser printer with manufacturer driver.

I am acquiring either a Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision or a Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro to use with Skype.

It's odd that the video driver messed up shutdown and restart process though, I am gonna spend some time figure that out regardless. Thank you very much roneil4, for providing this solution. Can't beat a Mac machine for this price.

vbboy

My Dear,

thanks for this wonderful guide now i have removed windows vista from my C drive and i am using the MAC OS 10.5.4 iATKOS after i followed your steps. I have minor problems with my laptop but i hope you can help me avoiding them :

1. When i shutdown the laptop it does not power off, it shutdown everything but it leave the power led and the bluetooth led, as well as if any external usb drive connected on even if i left it for hours.

2. the laptop sometimes freeze when i leave it for a while

3. the mute button does not mute the sound

thanks for your guide again. i was dreaming of being an mac along time ago.

I own a Dell Latitude D830. I have crawled through this somewhat lengthy thread, but I still need some advice...

I have bought Mac OS Leopard Retail, in order to install it on my iMac. Now I would like to install it on the Dell, too.

I know, I can use PC-EFI or boot-123 in some way, but what exactly do I have to do to get it running with all bells and whistles? Does a tutorial exist for this Retail DVD install? I only have found a tutorial for iAtkos so far, but I don't want to download iAtkos, because I already have the Retail, you know...

Has anyone with the D830 or D630 updated to 10.5.5 yet? Wondering if it will be safe to just go a head and download from the Software Update??

I just updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4 (iATKOS v4i) ... followed netkas instructions reposted here.. worked prefect.. only thing I had to do was reinstall the sound kext (AppleHDA.kext with Sigmatel 9205 Codec Dumb Hack/Patch). I guess I could have backed up the Extensions Folder, but I was just going to restore the whole thing from backup if I had any problems.

-Nick

I just updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4 (iATKOS v4i) ... followed netkas instructions reposted here.. worked prefect.. only thing I had to do was reinstall the sound kext (AppleHDA.kext with Sigmatel 9205 Codec Dumb Hack/Patch).

-Nick

That link is to instructions to updated to 10.5.3 not 10.5.5. So I take it to mean that the same apple kext must be kept from being installed per the script that keeps it from being installed in 10.5.3?

And can I just copy AppleHDA.kext to my desktop then put it back once I've allowed software update to do it thing to install 10.5.5 (while running the 1 line script mentioned in the 10.5.3 instructions)?

Brian

My Dear,

thanks for this wonderful guide now i have removed windows vista from my C drive and i am using the MAC OS 10.5.4 iATKOS after i followed your steps. I have minor problems with my laptop but i hope you can help me avoiding them :

1. When i shutdown the laptop it does not power off, it shutdown everything but it leave the power led and the bluetooth led, as well as if any external usb drive connected on even if i left it for hours.

2. the laptop sometimes freeze when i leave it for a while

3. the mute button does not mute the sound

thanks for your guide again. i was dreaming of being an mac along time ago.

For your first problem, everyone has this right now. It should be safe to hold down the power button to force the computer to turn off, because OS X can successfully stop the hard drive before shutdown hangs.

For the second problem, all I can reccomend is a reformat, because I have no idea why that would happen. My PC is rock-solid stable, but it may be because I am using an almost fully retail install from my own install disk.

For your third problem, everyone is also experiencing this.

Last, I am glad this guide worked so well for you!

I own a Dell Latitude D830. I have crawled through this somewhat lengthy thread, but I still need some advice...

I have bought Mac OS Leopard Retail, in order to install it on my iMac. Now I would like to install it on the Dell, too.

I know, I can use PC-EFI or boot-123 in some way, but what exactly do I have to do to get it running with all bells and whistles? Does a tutorial exist for this Retail DVD install? I only have found a tutorial for iAtkos so far, but I don't want to download iAtkos, because I already have the Retail, you know...

Its possible, but not easy. It would be much easier to use a premade disc (iatkos, kalyway, etc.), or make your own disc from a ripped version of the retail disc.

I just updated to 10.5.5 from 10.5.4 (iATKOS v4i) ... followed netkas instructions reposted here.. worked prefect.. only thing I had to do was reinstall the sound kext (AppleHDA.kext with Sigmatel 9205 Codec Dumb Hack/Patch). I guess I could have backed up the Extensions Folder, but I was just going to restore the whole thing from backup if I had any problems.

-Nick

Do you have a GMA x3100? I was looking through the package w/ pacifist to see which kexts it would modify, and I noticed that it includes new versions of the gmax3100 drivers. If they work for you, thats great! But if you don't have that gfx card, I would recommend users with this card to stay away from this update for a while (until someone tests it).