Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I have the d830 with the NV140 graphics card and I'm looking at about as close to 100% as I've read was possible given the hardware. The laptop started out as a Vista install and using Gparted I set it up to triple boot Vista / OSX / Ubuntu 8.04.1. The only problem that I had was the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk wouldn't boot at all, and the 10.5.1 disk took me 4 or 5 tries to get it booted up right. When I hit customize I left the nvinject kexts out until after I had the OS up and running. Then I immediately tried to run an update to 10.5.4, something went wrong there and I'm not sure what. I had the command to remove the powermanagment kext in the background and just out of nowhere during the install I got the greyed out reboot screen and it kept coming up during boot. After re-installing everything using the same steps the 10.5.4 update went just fine. I'm currently trying to keep on the bleeding edge of the wired network card and reboot functionality and haven't found anything yet.

I'm using GFX Grub as my boot loader and it successfully chain loads to both Vista and OSX (OSX Uses the boot_v8 from PC_EFI). Overall I'm pretty happy with everything and just have to work out a few bugs on the linux side (stupid wireless card won't come up during boot) and I'll be happy!

I have the d830 with the NV140 graphics card and I'm looking at about as close to 100% as I've read was possible given the hardware. The laptop started out as a Vista install and using Gparted I set it up to triple boot Vista / OSX / Ubuntu 8.04.1. The only problem that I had was the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk wouldn't boot at all, and the 10.5.1 disk took me 4 or 5 tries to get it booted up right. When I hit customize I left the nvinject kexts out until after I had the OS up and running. Then I immediately tried to run an update to 10.5.4, something went wrong there and I'm not sure what. I had the command to remove the powermanagment kext in the background and just out of nowhere during the install I got the greyed out reboot screen and it kept coming up during boot. After re-installing everything using the same steps the 10.5.4 update went just fine. I'm currently trying to keep on the bleeding edge of the wired network card and reboot functionality and haven't found anything yet.

I'm using GFX Grub as my boot loader and it successfully chain loads to both Vista and OSX (OSX Uses the boot_v8 from PC_EFI). Overall I'm pretty happy with everything and just have to work out a few bugs on the linux side (stupid wireless card won't come up during boot) and I'll be happy!

A quick tip for you, on ubuntu, you need to use ndiswrapper. The built in restricted-drivers utility doesn't work.

Do you have a GMA x3100? I was looking through the package w/ pacifist to see which kexts it would modify, and I noticed that it includes new versions of the gmax3100 drivers. If they work for you, thats great! But if you don't have that gfx card, I would recommend users with this card to stay away from this update for a while (until someone tests it).

Roneil4,

Thanks for the great Guide I used it to setup my D630 and I am completely Vista free...

I do have the gmax3100..and use your little sleep display trick (tho I edited the script file to lock the computer on boot; so I have the auto-login w/script to fix the display and some kinda security, tho not perfect).

I did NOT have to the reinstall the gmax3100 drivers/patch...kinda weird if indeed Apple did update those kexts...

Only things I reinstalled were the sound kext and the battery/power mgmt package (I didn't notice the battery icon was gone till yesterday).

NOTE: I used the combo update not delta update...if it matters.

-Nick

Hey guys,

Its been almost three months that i have been on MAC

started of with iATKOS 2.0i on the Dell D630.

All thanks to this ubercool guide i was able to get up and running in a matter of days.

Then i had a space crunch on my root partition. have been tryin to figure out how to solve it..

i have a spare partition of 10gb which can be digested into the present partition if someone knows how to do it.

but thats a different issue

Recently when apple came out with the 10.5.5 combo update i tried applying it using netas method.

The Problem was that it got stuck at the "Configuring Installer" stage.

so i downloaded Pacifist and installed the Update.

had to restore AppleAHCIport, IOSerialPort, IOAHCIpost.kexts

apart from the trackpad drivers

my only problem remains is sound,

somehow after the upgrade my sound has gone mute.

i tried taruga';s patch and kexts.

the volume controls are working but no sound from either the internal speakers or the line out.

Anyone who can help me out.

Some other issues which i am facing for quiet some time

- Time machine backup fails. Error says : Couldn't find backup Volume

- Final Cut Pro Fails to start. It loads everything, confirms on the absence of firewire device and then gets stuck on the splash screen

- About mac gives strange data

- processor listed with wrong cpu speed but correct CPU id,

Any help on these would be appreciated

Adios,

wire_surfer

So has anyone tested 10.5.5 with an Nvidia graphics card? If so what were your results? If they were good, can you give us your procedure in detail?

Yes worked, i used the instructions for the 10.5.3 update and the standalone combouptade from apple.

Hey guys,

All thanks to this ubercool guide i was able to get up and running in a matter of days.

Then i had a space crunch on my root partition. have been tryin to figure out how to solve it..

i have a spare partition of 10gb which can be digested into the present partition if someone knows how to do it.

Recently when apple came out with the 10.5.5 combo update i tried applying it using netas method.

the volume controls are working but no sound from either the internal speakers or the line out.

- Final Cut Pro Fails to start. It loads everything, confirms on the absence of firewire device and then gets stuck on the splash screen

Adios,

wire_surfer

sound: I use dellpackage 0.3.3 to restore sound and pcmcia when it breaks. It always work for me, try it (there should be a link in a former post of mine, i think)

Time machine: yes it fails on certain os versions for me too, i dont dare trusting it so i dont use it, backups if anything should be rock solid stable.

About: well yes, but i don't care that much

processor: There is work in progress on a speedstep kext. I have autothrottling and manual throttling working from 800-2000 with 9.5 vanilla kernel but only with a certain beta version of the kext and CPUPMControl. Newer betas only give me 1200-2000.

/roos

Roneil4,

Thanks for the great Guide I used it to setup my D630 and I am completely Vista free...

I do have the gmax3100..and use your little sleep display trick (tho I edited the script file to lock the computer on boot; so I have the auto-login w/script to fix the display and some kinda security, tho not perfect).

I did NOT have to the reinstall the gmax3100 drivers/patch...kinda weird if indeed Apple did update those kexts...

Only things I reinstalled were the sound kext and the battery/power mgmt package (I didn't notice the battery icon was gone till yesterday).

NOTE: I used the combo update not delta update...if it matters.

-Nick

Using the comboupdate shouldn't make any difference. Its great that this worked for you! Although it sounds like the update worked OK for you, I'm going to wait a while longer until some more people can confirm, because right now I can't risk anything going wrong w/ my computer (schools really busy, and I need this computer for almost all schoolwork).

Hey guys,

Adios,

wire_surfer

Final cut is most likely crashing because of your gfx card. It will not work with a gmaX3100 (and that includes the macbook), but I'm not sure about the quadro cards. Roos post covered everything else you asked about I believe.

Yes worked, i used the instructions for the 10.5.3 update and the standalone combouptade from apple.

sound: I use dellpackage 0.3.3 to restore sound and pcmcia when it breaks. It always work for me, try it (there should be a link in a former post of mine, i think)

Time machine: yes it fails on certain os versions for me too, i dont dare trusting it so i dont use it, backups if anything should be rock solid stable.

About: well yes, but i don't care that much

processor: There is work in progress on a speedstep kext. I have autothrottling and manual throttling working from 800-2000 with 9.5 vanilla kernel but only with a certain beta version of the kext and CPUPMControl. Newer betas only give me 1200-2000.

/roos

Your speedstep results are very odd. I get a range of 800-2400 MHz, w/ the newer versions.

I installed iATKOS v4i for 2 months and haven't experienced any crash until now, my question is there any luck with the shutdown yet? I find it strange since it's okay when the laptop is plugged... :(

No, there is no solution.

ohk..

so as of now..

Final Cut Pro : No GFX card..no FCP! so mission aborted!

TIME MACHINE : Haven't had a single backup till now.. will hunt for a soln.

Sound & pcmcia : will try it now.. will post an update

Speedstep.... will try that too...

i mean seeing a 1.2ghz processor when u actually have a 1.8 is not that encouraging is it!

wire_surfer

I cant even get to the installation screen. Help

Dell D630

Intel Core2Duo T7250

2GB Ram

Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset

GMA X3100 Video

SigmaTel Audio

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Network Card

Dell Wireless 1490 WLAN Card

I changed bios setting to ACHI and also upgraded to the latest bios. I tried both the Kalyway and iDeneb and gets the same msg.

"IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23"

7c0f8cae.jpg

I cant even get to the installation screen. Help

Dell D630

Intel Core2Duo T7250

2GB Ram

Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset

GMA X3100 Video

SigmaTel Audio

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Network Card

Dell Wireless 1490 WLAN Card

I changed bios setting to ACHI and also upgraded to the latest bios. I tried both the Kalyway and iDeneb and gets the same msg.

"IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23"

7c0f8cae.jpg

try iATKOS 4.

Final cut is most likely crashing because of your gfx card. It will not work with a gmaX3100 (and that includes the macbook), but I'm not sure about the quadro cards. Roos post covered everything else you asked about I believe.

No, there is no solution.

hmm.. weird.. it works with me... and i'm using gmaX3100... ^_^

sigh... so there's no solution then..

:(

Hey guys.

I have a 10.5.1 Kalyway Vanilla install upgraded to 10.5.4 using netkas' method. I'm about to try 10.5.5 using the same steps. I'll report back (maybe not from OSX, lol). I figure I just have the install to mess around with it anyways so I'll sacrifice it for the good of the dx30 user base.

Success!

I have a D830 with the NV140 chipset and the upgrade ran without a hitch. Well, other than the normal things that happen during the upgrade. I lost PS2 devices (internal keyboard/mouse) so I recommend you setup SynergyKM and get it working with another computer prior to update or have a spare usb keyboard/mouse handy. Afterwards re-apply the drivers for power management mentioned in the first post and your off!

Hey guys.

I have a 10.5.1 Kalyway Vanilla install upgraded to 10.5.4 using netkas' method. I'm about to try 10.5.5 using the same steps. I'll report back (maybe not from OSX, lol). I figure I just have the install to mess around with it anyways so I'll sacrifice it for the good of the dx30 user base.

Success!

I have a D830 with the NV140 chipset and the upgrade ran without a hitch. Well, other than the normal things that happen during the upgrade. I lost PS2 devices (internal keyboard/mouse) so I recommend you setup SynergyKM and get it working with another computer prior to update or have a spare usb keyboard/mouse handy. Afterwards re-apply the drivers for power management mentioned in the first post and your off!

This is great! Now we just need to get confirmation on the GMAx3100...

Look at the 10.5.5 topic on the front page, it links to it. Basically you run a command prior to installing the combo update and use ctrl C to cancel it after the update finishes, then edit a text file and your done.

On to another topic, does anyone have any suggestions for qe/ci on the nvs140? My system is showing nvinject 0.1.0 installed and I'm not sure how to go about updaing the graphics drivers...

kreez_2k - can u post ur codec dump and AppleHDA.kext

One more thing.. did FCP work for you natively? or did you go through some hacks to get it working!

Let me know about it

thnx anyway

wire_surfer

well i used roneil's codec dump and appleHDA.kext from the dell post installer driver at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966 and i think it's the same with the one roneil attached, but there you goes... -_-

well i guess FCP works natively for me since i didn't do anything to it..

i installed the final cut pro and it just runs without any crash nor problems..

edited: ah i remember.. FCP used to crash too, but after I update it through Apple software updater it runs perfectly now..

good luck...

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I'm receiving my new harddisk for my D830 this evening, because I was planning to install also OSX on it I tried to install iatkos on my extern HDD.

That worked out just fine, but it didn't support my sigmatel 9205, intel wlan 4965 nor my Nvidia nvs140.

I heard that it would support the Nvidia when I update to 10.5.4, but the problem is, how to get updates.

Is there a USB wireless receiver that is supported by OSX?

Thanks to Loepere's post (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry863432), I was able to get the Broadcom BCM 5755M (device id 1673) working flawlessly on my Dell Latitude D830 running Leopard 10.5.4 (no more GSOD or "freezing" after limited use).

I used EternalEmpty's AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (downloaded BCM57XX.zip from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114605&st=0). I followed the directions in the tutuorial, but did not replace my existing IONetworkingFamily.kext.

I then changed the entry in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

pci14e4,167d to pci14e4,1673 (my device id)

Then I copied /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet to my home folder so I could edit it with Hexedit, and replaced all occurrences:

"66 81 FA 7D 16" with "66 81 FA 73 16"

to match my device id.

Note: I did not change address 37554, 37555 of "75 71" to "EB 71" to bypass the call to InitNVRam - I left it as it should be ("75 71").

And now here is the elusive solution...

I located the section BCM5751Enet::getAdapterInfo and found the identical code which Loepere refers to. I changed "jne L1" into a "je L1" which using Hexedit simply translates to:

address 376C0: replace "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59"

Copied the modified AppleBCM5751Ethernet back to the original location in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS.

MAC address gets assigned correctly to en0, and DHCP works perfectly.

I'm receiving my new harddisk for my D830 this evening, because I was planning to install also OSX on it I tried to install iatkos on my extern HDD.

That worked out just fine, but it didn't support my sigmatel 9205, intel wlan 4965 nor my Nvidia nvs140.

I heard that it would support the Nvidia when I update to 10.5.4, but the problem is, how to get updates.

Is there a USB wireless receiver that is supported by OSX?

Don't you have another computer to download the updates? Just thumbdrive or burn a CD and copy it over. If you're dual booting, OSX recognizes most other partition types, so you could download it on another operating system then boot to OSX and copy it from there as well. There are a brazillion different ways to do it without a network adapter.

Thanks to Loepere's post (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry863432), I was able to get the Broadcom BCM 5755M (device id 1673) working flawlessly on my Dell Latitude D830 running Leopard 10.5.4 (no more GSOD or "freezing" after limited use).

I used EternalEmpty's AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext (downloaded BCM57XX.zip from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114605&st=0). I followed the directions in the tutuorial, but did not replace my existing IONetworkingFamily.kext.

I then changed the entry in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist:

pci14e4,167d to pci14e4,1673 (my device id)

Then I copied /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBCM5751Ethernet to my home folder so I could edit it with Hexedit, and replaced all occurrences:

"66 81 FA 7D 16" with "66 81 FA 73 16"

to match my device id.

Note: I did not change address 37554, 37555 of "75 71" to "EB 71" to bypass the call to InitNVRam - I left it as it should be ("75 71").

And now here is the elusive solution...

I located the section BCM5751Enet::getAdapterInfo and found the identical code which Loepere refers to. I changed "jne L1" into a "je L1" which using Hexedit simply translates to:

address 376C0: replace "F8 08 75 59" with "F8 08 74 59"

Copied the modified AppleBCM5751Ethernet back to the original location in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext/Contents/MacOS.

MAC address gets assigned correctly to en0, and DHCP works perfectly.

This is really great! This laptop is now very close to running flawlessly w/ os x. Just to make things simpler, could you post the kexts you used? These laptops should all have the same dev id, so that should work fine.

Noahbody99 just posted a kext, and it works fine! I followed his procedure he posted for creating the kext to the T, but it didn't work for me in the end. Somebody must of missed something, and it could have been me.

So, confirmed. Now two people with working BCM5755M on D860/630!

Kext here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=34636

P.S. Roneil4, Try Chun-nan's Battery kext. Gives time perfect, a lot more information in system profiler, and doesn't require any updated powermanagement.bundle. And, for graphics, I don't think you need all the pre-graphics update kexts, just the framebuffer. Errandwolfe mentioned it, and I found it to be true when I got X3000 working.

Noahbody99's Kext worked for me instantly, much easier then the previous installation. Just drop the kext into KextHelper and as soon as you do the install it pops up about a new interface, doesn't even require a reboot to pick it up.

Also I got QE/CI using the link in TheStevo's signature. I do however have some Firefox weirdness when scrolling as a result, anyone else had those issues?

Turns out it isn't just firefox, it is all scrolling system-wide that is jacked up. Parts of the screen scroll, others don't, sometimes it's like one line at the top that scrolls and the rest is frozen. Also happens in Safari and the left side of the Finder window.

Edit: Entourage scrolls just fine.