Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

chaosportal,

What's your luck with DVI output on the docking station?

I also just installed via iATKOS 2.0 today, and had very similar experience of yours (but I didn't go for 10.5.3). Everything worked except the DVI output. Also, the sleep feature seems working in an one way fashion. It can go to sleep, but waking up returns only a blank black screen.

I do hope the DVI output works out. This computer is meant to be used with photo and video collections. The lack of an external big screen certainly hurts there.

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this guide. With some small modifications to your instructions I now have OSX 10.5.3 running at almost 100% on my D630, the only things that arent working are my NIC (same for everyone else it seems), and my Wireless (its one of the Intel cards). For now im using a wireless pcmcia card but I ordered one of the Dell Truemobile 1390 cards to replace it, which my research tells me will work perfectly.

So after I get that truemobile card I will be at 98%....still no working NIC, but who cares....I have a PCMCIA wired NIC if I REALLY have to plug in.

My d630 has the Nvidia Quadro in it, and it also works perfectly with CI/QE enabled. I used the NVInstaller v52 to get that working.

My steps...

1. Download and install iAtkos 2.0i BS release.

* I did not change to AHCI, im not sure if im gimping my performance by keeping it set to ATA. *

2. Install with vanilla kernel. I used GUID rather than MBR, so YMMV on that.

3. Install sound drivers per your instructions.

4. Install PCMCIA drivers per your instructions.

5. Install nvidia drivers from the aforementioned source.

6. My wireless PCMCIA was detected as Airport and worked out of box.

***You can quit here if you are happy with running 10.5.2

7. Download and installed kalyway_10.5.3_ComboUpdate, followed the instructions within.

8. After starting back up, my video didnt have CI or QE support so I reinstalled the drivers as before and it went back to working 100%.

9. My battery meter and PCMCIA stopped working after the upgrade so I installed the PCMCIA and vanilla battery meter fix from this package. The PCMCIA and Battery meter files from your instructions may have worked but I wanted to see if I could get the two finger scrolling from the post installer package working and just went ahead and installed those from there. (the two finger scrolling didnt work out, i havent had time to figure out why)

If you have this laptop and have the Truemobile wireless already you should be at 98% functionality by following these steps, the only thing that wont work is the onboard wired NIC.

** oops....also I havent tried to use the VGA out, so im not certain if that works or not, I saw some posts from people who were having trouble with that. I dont use that functionality, so I dont really care.

Anyway, thanks again. Your post was a good source of info and gave me a great starting point.

I'm glad to hear that most of the guide worked for you! I'd like to test that universal dell installer and add it to the guide because it sounds like it could simplify everything.

chaosportal,

I also just installed via iATKOS 2.0 today, and had very similar experience of yours (but I didn't go for 10.5.3). Everything worked except the DVI output. Also, the sleep feature seems working in an one way fashion. It can go to sleep, but waking up returns only a blank black screen.

I do hope the DVI output works out. This computer is meant to be used with photo and video collections. The lack of an external big screen certainly hurts there.

I have heard that VGA out works with the nvidia quadro cards so you could use that, but image quality would not be as good on the external monitor.

I am also installing to a Dell D630. This is what I did to get a successful (minus the X3100 video) installationlspci.txt:

Installed from iAtkos 2.0i and did NOT delete the kexts for video at the end of the install.

Used the -x -v flags to boot into 10.5.2 and go through the initial config.

Installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel package and selected the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel for install. Once it completes and logs you out and back in, I checked with "uname -a" in terminal to make sure I was running the vanilla kernel.

I then followed the instructions for installing the Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate to get the system to 10.5.3 with the 9.3.0 vanilla kernel.

At reboot from the ComboUpdate install I used the -s flag and removed all the kexts per Roneil's instructions. This gives me dependable GUI boot from this point forward without the -x -v flags. I also went into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and edited com.apple.Boot.plist to set the kernel flag line to "Graphics Mode"-="1280x1024x32" - this gives me a workable resolution using my 19" widescreen LCD attached to the laptop. Without the LCD attached, you are still stuck at 1024x768.

At this point you have a consistently bootable 10.5.3 system with the vanilla 9.3 kernel. I used the DellPackage Post-Installer from this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start= and the new OSx86 Tools Utility from PCWiz to add in the extra kexts, etc.

I am currently still NOT able to get sound working on my D630 using either Roneil's kexts or the ones in the Post-Installer and the video is a problem because I CAN boot into OS X using either Roneil's or Errandwolfe's X3100 kexts and the Sleep Display script, but the top bar is distorted with a white apple and usually I have just enough time to verify that I am running accelerated video before the system completely locks up and I have to power reset the machine.

I have included my lspci.txt (thanks again to the OSx86 Tools Utility) so that I can help others and possibly find the "tweak" I need to get the video working with the proper X3100 kexts and also, hopefully, the sound as well. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

lspci.txt

chaosportal,

I dont have a docking station, so I cant say if that works or not. My sleep function is (not)working the same way as you, it will go to sleep but I cant wake it back up...I just have to power down and restart.

I am also installing to a Dell D630. This is what I did to get a successful (minus the X3100 video) installationlspci.txt:

Installed from iAtkos 2.0i and did NOT delete the kexts for video at the end of the install.

Installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 kernel package and selected the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel for install. Once it completes and logs you out and back in, I checked with "uname -a" in terminal to make sure I was running the vanilla kernel.

I then followed the instructions for installing the Kalyway 10.5.3 ComboUpdate to get the system to 10.5.3 with the 9.3.0 vanilla kernel.

At reboot from the ComboUpdate install I used the -s flag and removed all the kexts per Roneil's instructions. This gives me dependable GUI boot from this point forward without the -x -v flags. I also went into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and edited com.apple.Boot.plist to set the kernel flag line to "Graphics Mode"-="1280x1024x32" - this gives me a workable resolution using my 19" widescreen LCD attached to the laptop. Without the LCD attached, you are still stuck at 1024x768.

At this point you have a consistently bootable 10.5.3 system with the vanilla 9.3 kernel. I used the DellPackage Post-Installer from this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start= and the new OSx86 Tools Utility from PCWiz to add in the extra kexts, etc.

I am currently still NOT able to get sound working on my D630 using either Roneil's kexts or the ones in the Post-Installer and the video is a problem because I CAN boot into OS X using either Roneil's or Errandwolfe's X3100 kexts and the Sleep Display script, but the top bar is distorted with a white apple and usually I have just enough time to verify that I am running accelerated video before the system completely locks up and I have to power reset the machine.

I have included my lspci.txt (thanks again to the OSx86 Tools Utility) so that I can help others and possibly find the "tweak" I need to get the video working with the proper X3100 kexts and also, hopefully, the sound as well. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

lspci.txt

I don't know how many times I have told people this, but you cannot use the kexts I posted (which are the same as errandwolfe's) after leopard graphics update has been applied. This update has been included in the 10.5.3 package, so updating to 10.5.3 also installs leopard graphics update. To get your graphics card working, look for theSlug's post earlier in this thread.

lspci.txt

Alright, after trying like 10 times w/ kalyway 10.5.2 and iatkos 2.0i, this is what I did to get a near fully working 10.5.3 vanilla from iatkos 2.0i on my d630... maybe this will help:

iatkos v2.0i

bios

- set ahci

install

- disk utility, used GUID

- installed with defaults (no customize)

- first boot will fail; boot using -x

- select locale, create account

- backup /System/Library/Extensions folder

- sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel* and /System/Library/extensions.mkext <- this will stop the 630 from requiring -x to boot and having the white menu bar/screwed dock/various graphical artifactoids, system instability, etc.

- set sleep corner just in case (system prefs, spaces and expose); install errand sleep fix (add login item etc)

- reboot normal mode, no options <- will be VESA3

- install Mysticus C* 10.5.3 update; vanilla kernel and PS2 Trackpad/Keyboard fix, macbook smbios only additional options other than defaults

- reboot

- copy AppleHDA.kext (from roneil's sound_files.zip) to /System/Library/Extensions, delete Extensions.mkext, repair permissions (chmod and chown weren't enough to make sound work... puzzling. Thus I actually had to reboot twice when I say reboot below).

- reboot

... DONE!!

Couldn't test PCMCIA, battery meter not working in any capacity (tho will try the one you mentioned here), and I have the damn i3965 so no wireless (have an old HP with an atheros minipci card in it and plan on giving that a shot a little later this week)

So.... in the mysticus c* update there must be an appropriate x3100 driver for 10.5.3 on the 630. I was overjoyed when I rebooted post update to discover a damn near perfectly working lappy... so, maybe give his package a shot :)

I installed the X3100 kexts from theSlug's post and have a perfectly working accelerated 1440x900 D630 laptop working both in and out of dock. Thanks for pointing out the appropriate post to look for them in. You might take into consideration that after reading 13+ pages of a single post and several other posts besides, I didn't even know what it was that theSlug had fixed with those kexts. I know it would benefit me and probably tons of others to just put those in the original instructional post as the alternative kexts for X3100 after a 10.5.3 update. But once again, thank you for your help.

Ok - I also managed to run through enough searches and try enough kexts to find the answer to my sound problem in this forum topic post #43 by paulo-131: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...77926&st=40

At this point I'm fully functional with the exception of the ethernet just like everyone else.

Once again thank you to the community for all of the awesome information and pointers and thanks to Roneil for starting with his excellent guide.

I installed the X3100 kexts from theSlug's post and have a perfectly working accelerated 1440x900 D630 laptop working both in and out of dock. Thanks for pointing out the appropriate post to look for them in. You might take into consideration that after reading 13+ pages of a single post and several other posts besides, I didn't even know what it was that theSlug had fixed with those kexts. I know it would benefit me and probably tons of others to just put those in the original instructional post as the alternative kexts for X3100 after a 10.5.3 update. But once again, thank you for your help.

It's great that your graphics work too, I haven't gotten a chance to test 10.5.3 (or anything hackintosh related for a month or more) but hopefully I'll be able to update the first post soon, now that school is out for summer.

Ok - I also managed to run through enough searches and try enough kexts to find the answer to my sound problem in this forum topic post #43 by paulo-131: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...77926&st=40

At this point I'm fully functional with the exception of the ethernet just like everyone else.

Once again thank you to the community for all of the awesome information and pointers and thanks to Roneil for starting with his excellent guide.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your sound? I'd like to change the instructions in the first post so that they work for everyone.

I replaced the AppleHDA.kext downloaded from paulo-131 with KextHelper and did a "diskutil repairPermissions /" and actually before I even rebooted, the sound was working and has been working since without issue. I have not tried using external speakers yet.

Great thread and lots of usefull information. I was finally able to get an install up and running but I am stuck at one critical point.When the system loads i get to a point and it tells me that the keyboard can not be identified. at this point the trackpoint/touchpad does not work and neither does the keyboard... Any ideas? I did try holding "z" and "/" durring the boot process but that did not help.Dell Latitude D630 A12 bios2gig mem320gig driveIntel graphicswell its working... sort of.on a whim I plugged in a usb keyboard and mouse and they work so that is good I am actually posting this from osx on my latitude.Anyone know how to make the onboard keyboard work? I will keep looking but was just wondering

EDIT: It's magic.. After a few app installs and reboots the keyboard and touchpad are magically working... Go figure.

Ok so I know I am new and I am sorry for the probably stupid question.

I got everything working just perfect, installed many apps and got all used to my OSX goodness. Then i fired up VMware Fusion and came to the realization that I had skipped over the video driver update section and was just using the base driver. So i went back and got GMAX3100_Files.zip followed the instructions just like I did for sound and all the other junk. The problem is when I reboot I am now seeing about 2 seconds of blue followed by a black screen. I have seen posts before that say to wait 12 min or so and hit a key and the video will come up but not so for me. If I plug in an external monitor and hit Fn-F8 I see scrambled video which will then come to the LCD if I hit Fn-F8 again. I know I followed the instructions but I am wondering if the GMAX3100_Files.zip is for my card? I have the Intel 965 Express Chipset (at least that is what my Vista box says)

Did I miss something?

Phil - if you look back at Roneil's first post you will find a link and description of what to do to have a SleepDisplay script run at boot each time you start your machine. Also, it is highly recommended to set a Hot Spot in the settings under Screensaver so that you can sleep the display for just a second which brings you back to your normal desktop. Try that and see if it resolves the issue for you.

Well I did go into the login section and set the sleepdisplay part to auto load but that was before applied the kext scripts. How do I recover at this point? Is there a way to roll back so that I can try again without me having to format the whole thing and start over?

I will definately learn about the hot spots before I try to install the vid drivers again....

EDIT:OK so i figured it out on my own

I booted with the -s switch and was presented with the single user command prompt mode and did the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

this got us into read-write mode. Then:

cd /Volumes/drivename/System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf AppleIntell* (this is what I did you might want to just remove the list) The only ones i saw were those.

then typed exit and it brought me up...

Code, I too am having the same issue you had here, but can't seem to figure it out. Can you help me at all? I too am running a d630 and have spent the last 3 days looking for the right answer.

thanks,

MooreDrums

This is the text from theSlug's post. Hopefully, it will help. It isn't easily recognizable for solving the X3100 kext problem. Also, although my laptop uses the right resolutions in and out of the docking station with my Dell 19" widescreen LCD, it will absolutely not work with my Viewsonic VG2230wm LCD at work. Curioser and curioser....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have reinstalled my hack,

iAtkos 2.0i, moved vga kext, installed Mysticus C* pack(only update & default vanilla kext) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

used this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465

tnx to AJ.Allen & simcolor.

& Errand sleep trick

WORKS PERFECLY!

byebye wink_anim.gif

theSLug

EDIT:

natutally all test on a D630

i now installed patched AppleHDA.kext, sond works on 10.5.3, but shoutdown not plus works!

I just updated the guide to include instructions for 10.5.3. Nvidia Quadro users: I don't know how to get the graphics on your systems working, because I don't have this card, so could you tell me exactly how you got it working so that I can add it to the guide? Thanks. Also, I don't have the iATKOS disc anymore, so I can't check which install options to use, so if someone using iATKOS could tell me which options they used, I could add that to the guide too. Lastly, I haven't tried the new versions of the kalyway or iATKOS discs, so I don't know if the install options I talked about work on those discs.

I don't have any of these discs anymore because I have been using my own custom disc. Would anyone be interested in a guide on how to make your own install disc? The benefit to doing this is that you can install a completely unmodified copy of leopard, unlike iATKOS and Kalyway. You only have to install the kexts you need, giving you better performance.

Upgraded to 10.5.3 yesterday and ever since my keyboard and touchpad have ceased to work. I am having to use USB keyboard and mouse. This happened to me on first boot of 10.5.1 but mysteriously fixed itself during all the kext updates for sound/battery stuff. Anyone seen this?

EDIT: OK sorry guys for cluttering up the forum but I figured out that it had something to do with the AppleACPIPlatform.kext which made me go AhhhHa! I had forgotten to run the sleep_fix kexts which has one with that same file name. Added the two, rebooted and viola! Keyboard and Trackpoint working like a charm.

Hi All

My experience with Dell and OS X 10.5, went over several months of trial and error. The first laptop was Dell Latitude D820 and then later D830 with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140.

So Where to begin. I got hold of the original disk of OS X 10.5. I ripped it using a friends mac. From there on i used the Brazilmac patch to shrink it down to one DVD, and replacing the kernels, and to make it bookable for normal pc. I run through the installation unticking everything in the options menu before installation, afterall you just want the OS, and the rest of the files been stripped out to shrink the installation to one dvd.

Next, i found this realy neat little script file that does all the boot and dual boot stuff for you. Optimizing the boot up, adding a 8sec delay, and to choose which os you want to use. Wonderful. It boots up, perfectly, no trouble no glitches, and no kernal panics.

The only problem was if i update to 10.5.2 it give me kernal panic while installing the update. sigh

Secondly i used the Nvidia Instller for the graphics, working beautifuly with quartz active and alll, playing world of warcraft like a charm.

But im still strugling with my sound,wifi and my pcmci cards that i add does not work...

can any one please advice as to how i could fix this. I want to send windows packing... thanx :D

PS. if any one wants the files to patch pre and post boot, send me a PM with your email address and i will email it to you.

ok, i have tried your kext for sound and pcmci card, but still no joy... i have replaces the kext files, and did a repair permission, but nothing, no sound, after the first restart, i got a kernl panic and then on the second restart i could go in... help anyone, please.