Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Thanks for the help out. I'll try from scratch again in the mean time. I have done it a number of times now so I have the process down pretty good. I haven't done anything that isn't easy to do over again as I have just been tinkering on the machine for now.

how are oyu doing so far? i'm back in town now

Do you have to burn Kalyway on a disc cause everytime I click on it,it brings up nero saying to paste it on a disc or something. Also if I put kalyway on a disc how do I access the DVD image? Also which one do I burn? The whole folder or KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 or MACOSX

Edit: Do you need to do something to activate it at start up

Don't click on it you go into Nero and find the option to burn disk from ISO image or similarly named option if you downloaded the .zip version then you need to extract it first then burn the ISO image to disk option, once done you should see a bunch of files/directories when the disk is mounted not the .iso file and you don't have to do nothing the image is already a bootable DVD when burned properly.

@LTL -> is your install procedure completer than that from LS8? There's more text that explains everything to do... If I look at his post he did everything by scripting (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165) and everything works on his project. Does everything works on yours?

I'm planning to buy a GA-P35-DS4 if it's still a good board for OSX...

@LTL -> is your install procedure completer than that from LS8? There's more text that explains everything to do... If I look at his post he did everything by scripting (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165) and everything works on his project. Does everything works on yours?

I'm planning to buy a GA-P35-DS4 if it's still a good board for OSX...

I went through hundreds of guides, spent countless hours and really only found a few guides that I felt a kind to. LS8's guide (he was at version 2 at that time) was one of them. I just found that his guide was not clear enough for a noob, so I elaborated on his guide and a handful of others like karaakeha1's guide. Then over time, I found my own little tweaks and things that worked best for me. So while we are in the same family of MOBO's, we are also similar in install methods and files we use. The DS4 is a great board, nothing wrong with it. I would have gotten one if they were available here in Thailand, but i'm really happy with my system, i jsut rebooted for the first time in 3 weeks... damn thing runs better than my MacBook Pro.. so its win win with either board

Wow, perfect timing on finding this thread. I'm planning on building one in the next two months and this guide looks like it will be invaluable.

Thank you for putting forth the effort to help others out. Like many others, I feel also feel the least people can do is to buy a retail copy of the OS.

In the instructions, there is this line:

File Preperation:

1. Create a folder on your desktop called EFI. Download my Archive.zip file and unzip the files into it.

Okay which desktop do you put the files on? Do you copy the files to the second drive? or do you install a version of the Kalyway disk, and copy them to a desktop there.

This is the only step I am unclear on, could someone explain?

THANKs.... smash...

In the instructions, there is this line:

File Preperation:

1. Create a folder on your desktop called EFI. Download my Archive.zip file and unzip the files into it.

Okay which desktop do you put the files on? Do you copy the files to the second drive? or do you install a version of the Kalyway disk, and copy them to a desktop there.

This is the only step I am unclear on, could someone explain?

THANKs.... smash...

You need it on the Kalyway install and the disk you are installing to for the retail must not be the same one as the Kalyway is on as to install the EFI bootloader the disk you install it on must not be in use by any partition/program ...

Hi there LTL! Good job! I will start reading through the entirety of this thread tomorrow. One of my enduring problems is getting a working Shutdown that doesn't require I hold the Startup/shutdown button in. Taruga + AppleHDA always kill it (on Kalway, though not on Iatkos, or at least not until you install Leopard Graphics Update on the latter). You mention something in one of your updates about an unmodified but patched AppleHDA.kext?

hi and a big thank you for this great guide and motivation you put in it!!

beacause of this thread now I know how I can use vanilla on the other releases(I'm a knoob, yes; my search function for this forum doesn't work and the mods don't bother replying me!)

how ever, using vanilla solves my problems partially!

(if you want to take a look you maybe have a suggestion

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95372 )

now I'm trying to istall from retail, but this brings up some problems I'm searching for the last days and nights with no luck!

1: my build in keyboard and my mouse pad don't work at all!

and 2: my memory bus speed doesn't show up in the profiler!

do you know how to solve this?

also whos and/or which versions the kexts are in the the dl files?

regards

ps:not the same mobo but the principles should be the same

Toshiba Notebook (Intel centrino duo)

CPU: Intel Core Duo T2250 / 1.73 GHz; BusSpeed 533 MHz

chip: Mobile Intel 945PM Express

Memory: DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz

HDD: 120 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm

GFX: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache

Hi there LTL! Good job! I will start reading through the entirety of this thread tomorrow. One of my enduring problems is getting a working Shutdown that doesn't require I hold the Startup/shutdown button in. Taruga + AppleHDA always kill it (on Kalway, though not on Iatkos, or at least not until you install Leopard Graphics Update on the latter). You mention something in one of your updates about an unmodified but patched AppleHDA.kext?
I'm using a vanilla AppleHDA.kext patched with Taruga with EFI audio strings. Works great... had the same setup before with a modified AppleHDA and my sound would freak when I transfered large files
hi and a big thank you for this great guide and motivation you put in it!!beacause of this thread now I know how I can use vanilla on the other releases(I'm a knoob, yes; my search function for this forum doesn't work and the mods don't bother replying me!)how ever, using vanilla solves my problems partially!(if you want to take a look you maybe have a suggestionhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95372 )now I'm trying to istall from retail, but this brings up some problems I'm searching for the last days and nights with no luck!1: my build in keyboard and my mouse pad don't work at all!and 2: my memory bus speed doesn't show up in the profiler!do you know how to solve this?also whos and/or which versions the kexts are in the the dl files?regardsps:not the same mobo but the principles should be the sameToshiba Notebook (Intel centrino duo)CPU: Intel Core Duo T2250 / 1.73 GHz; BusSpeed 533 MHz chip: Mobile Intel 945PM ExpressMemory: DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHzHDD: 120 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpmGFX: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache
I think you are going to have to find someone who has had success with your notebook and follow his guide... sorry, but this thread is really for certain types of rigs, not notebooks. best of luck to you

hi, thanks for the guide :)

I'm gonna install as soon as I install the kalyway one.

As I'm a total noob and it's been hours i'm trying to learn the process, I first looked to understand some basic command lines, because I really want to understand what I am doing. I think I kinda get the sudo -s, sudo cp -r, cd, mkdir etc... , but what I'm not able to understand is the .ketxt names meanings and which part of hardware they are related to. I know it may sound obvious for you but for example I have no idea what the AppleSMBIOS.kext is modifying. What I mean is if I'm feeling comfortable with command lines and terminal and want to mod kext myself how do I know which one is related to my wi-fi card etc...

Thanks

Thanks for this extraordinary useful guide! Although I slightly tweaked your instructions for my Asus P5K-VM. Ditched my Kalyway install for this and Leopard is a lot smoother now.

Thanks again.

Thats great, and that's exactly what people should do. Do your homework and then make little tweaks for your install and the method works. My system runs better than my actual Apple...I really could not be anymore satisfied with the money spent and time invested.

Enjoy and maybe you can post your tweaks so someone with your board can use your work

Cheers!

hi, thanks for the guide :P

I'm gonna install as soon as I install the kalyway one.

As I'm a total noob and it's been hours i'm trying to learn the process, I first looked to understand some basic command lines, because I really want to understand what I am doing. I think I kinda get the sudo -s, sudo cp -r, cd, mkdir etc... , but what I'm not able to understand is the .ketxt names meanings and which part of hardware they are related to. I know it may sound obvious for you but for example I have no idea what the AppleSMBIOS.kext is modifying. What I mean is if I'm feeling comfortable with command lines and terminal and want to mod kext myself how do I know which one is related to my wi-fi card etc...

Thanks

here are some links you can read up on, clearly you can search for each one on your own:

Intel Apple Arch.

Kext Patching

Terms

About Kext

Awesome guide!

I was running iATKOS (which I used to install retail using your guide, see sig ;) ) and am so glad as a nub I could actually accomplish this.

This has inspired me to follow the links that you just recently posted and try to become more proficient and maybe contribute someday as well.

After the ooooing and aaaahing stopped, I have started on installing this for my friends and colleagues.

Thanks a million++ :)

--Mags

Long Time Listen: is sleep, reboot and shutdown working with this MoBo and this method?

Hi there,

I have a GA p35 DS3R mother board and installed Leopard with efi 8 and got everything working fine.

However, everytime I shutdown, it shuts down the computer but then restarts again. I can't get the computer to shutdown completely. Any help would be great!

Many thanksm

Miro

Hi there,I have a GA p35 DS3R mother board and installed Leopard with efi 8 and got everything working fine.However, everytime I shutdown, it shuts down the computer but then restarts again. I can't get the computer to shutdown completely. Any help would be great!Many thanksmMiro
Which Kernel are you using? Try the netkas sleep kernel..its in my file kit.I keep hearing about issues with the DS3R, i'm starting to wonder if it's a problematic board
Awesome guide!I was running iATKOS (which I used to install retail using your guide, see sig :D ) and am so glad as a nub I could actually accomplish this.This has inspired me to follow the links that you just recently posted and try to become more proficient and maybe contribute someday as well.After the ooooing and aaaahing stopped, I have started on installing this for my friends and colleagues.Thanks a million++ :D --Mags
Thats great to hear. I spent a lot of time archiving what I learned into that guide and I know when people say that it did not work that they just did not follow the directions.Make sure you image your install for quick and easy re-installs :wacko::D

HI, thanks your guide.

before I buy the leopard disc, I want to ask.

does all software update work fine? except the 10.5.2 (use Devin's guide).

And can I use KALYWAY 10.5.2 Intel AMD disc (the new release) to install on the small partition, or it need use the 10.5.1 one?

or can I use other release such as Leo4all?

THANKS!

Since I have a bad experience on KALYWAY, it always hang when I use AI or In. (It show a shut down box). :wacko:

But It work fine on Leo4All. :rolleyes:

Also can I CCC the Leopard to the small partition instead of clean install? :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again!

Here my spec.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Processor: E6550

Drives: 160 Seagate SATA, 250 Seagate PATA

Optical: 20x LITEON PATA DVD-RW

RAM: Kingston 667 2x2 4GB

Graphic: ASUS ATI 2600XT

LTL,

Awesome guide. I tried it and it worked the first time. The only thing I have to patch is Time Machine. Everything else is vanilla (with the exception of the few things that were changed with you guidance). I am running on the updated 10.5.2 with a registered machine. Great job.

Docp4

I'm hesitating between the GA-P35-DS4 and GA-P35-DS3P. There's a difference but it's not so big. I'm not taking this new GA-EP35-xxx as I saw problems with that one
For me, buying the hardware was one of the toughest parts ... I really put a lot of time into it. I think going with either the DS4 or DS3P is win win (you know I'm partial to my the DS3P _ i love my board), both boards have a lot of good stories... good luck
HI, thanks your guide.before I buy the leopard disc, I want to ask.does all software update work fine? except the 10.5.2 (use Devin's guide).And can I use KALYWAY 10.5.2 Intel AMD disc (the new release) to install on the small partition, or it need use the 10.5.1 one?or can I use other release such as Leo4all?THANKS!Since I have a bad experience on KALYWAY, it always hang when I use AI or In. (It show a shut down box). :( But It work fine on Leo4All. :) Also can I CCC the Leopard to the small partition instead of clean install? :D Thanks again!Here my spec.Define AI, In, and CCC number 1Secondly, your questions are quiet noob. Updates, I can't predict how each one will go, no one can... everyone in the community, regardless of your install method, has to deal with updates one patch at a time. 10.5.1 was from software update for us, but .2 was not so easy for everyone.So do your install and join the community and see how it goes.You can use almost ANY method to install on the small one, Kalyway/iAtkos/etc 10.5 and up required. You are going to need to check with netkas regarding the natit for your video cardand if CCC has anything to do with copying .. then you need to read my guide regarding "images" I have already answered those questions.Installing from retail with the right hardware is the most Apple like install possible.Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3LProcessor: E6550Drives: 160 Seagate SATA, 250 Seagate PATAOptical: 20x LITEON PATA DVD-RWRAM: Kingston 667 2x2 4GBGraphic: ASUS ATI 2600XT

For me, buying the hardware was one of the toughest parts ... I really put a lot of time into it. I think going with either the DS4 or DS3P is win win (you know I'm partial to my the DS3P _ i love my board), both boards have a lot of good stories... good luck

Am I miss something?