Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

did you install the extended X86 driver for temperature monitor? capturadeventana1kj7.png
is that in iStat?
did you install the extended X86 driver for temperature monitor? capturadeventana1kj7.png
\Installed but still not reading my temps...boohooo

strange thing!

capturadeventana2va9.png

capturadeventana1rv9.png

At least its something.. On what board are you running this ?

edit:

hm, the release notes of Temperature monitor state:

Support for on-core temperature sensors of Intel processors based on 45 nm technology ("Penryn") has been modified: As confirmed by Intel, the core sensors behave no longer linear enough for the display of absolute readings in low temperature ranges. For this reason, support for core temperature sensors in 45 nm technology has been removed in Temperature Monitor.

to LTL ...

Thanks so much for putting this guide together and keeping it updated. I am new to Macs and it has enabled me to get a hackintosh up and running without a lot of fuss using a retail DVD I purchased at the Apple store.

I just got my MacBook Pro this weekend and this will be an excellent desktop companion to it.

I do have a quick question about the networking card. When you say the Trendnet card is supported natively, does that mean, plug-it-in and it will work? No additional steps needed?

to LTL ... Thanks so much for putting this guide together and keeping it updated. I am new to Macs and it has enabled me to get a hackintosh up and running without a lot of fuss using a retail DVD I purchased at the Apple store. I just got my MacBook Pro this weekend and this will be an excellent desktop companion to it. I do have a quick question about the networking card. When you say the Trendnet card is supported natively, does that mean, plug-it-in and it will work? No additional steps needed?
Same setup as me... MacBook Pro and Hackintosh... its a great combo! Just take the card, plug it in... and your done... nothing else to do, it will recognize it as an Apple 8169.Really glad I could help :P
At least its something.. On what board are you running this ?edit:hm, the release notes of Temperature monitor state:Support for on-core temperature sensors of Intel processors based on 45 nm technology ("Penryn") has been modified: As confirmed by Intel, the core sensors behave no longer linear enough for the display of absolute readings in low temperature ranges. For this reason, support for core temperature sensors in 45 nm technology has been removed in Temperature Monitor.
So clearly I'm not retarded... thank you :D INTELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

First of thanks LTL for all your work on this.

I'm currently running 10.5.2 on a e6600, asus p5b deluxe using kalaway 10.5.1 and then his combo update. I want full sound support though, including audio in, so I ordered your board and would like to do a retail install like you did.

I've read through your post numerous times and its a bit hard to follow after all the updates that have happened to it. I just want to clear up what my steps are going to be once the new board comes, I also ordered your network card.

Seems like I can follow your march 14th post.

1. Do step one to prep the drive

2. Pre-patch.sh from v1 download

3. Install retail (step 3)

4. Install 10.5.2 from apple download

5. post-patch.sh from v1 download

6. Reboot

7. Drop ALC889Adump into HDA Patcher (enables full audio)

I also have a 8800gt, so I'm not entirely sure how you added it. To get it working with kalaway I updated to 10.5.2, then updated the system using apple update, then ran nvinject v41 and told it I had a 512 mb card. Did you do something different?

Its not clear what the FilePack is used for. You had some mention of removing the "Hackintosh", and I'd like to do that to. What all will I need out of the FilePack?

And finally, I'd like to dual boot, based on the research I should be able to install osx, then install vista to a seperate partion and tell the vista bootloader about osx. Have you had any experience doing this with your setup?

Thanks again.

I'm rushing to the airport right now, but if you follow the advanced guide, you will be alright, no hackintosh, full sound, polished install, you won't need to do anything else... Sounds like you got the idea tho

If you follow the advanced guide, the Install Pack is all you need. It has EVERYTHING

In regards to your video... I have a com.apple.boot.plist for you that included EFI strings for the 8800GT, LAN, and Sound for the motherboard you ordered. Your just going to have to wait a week for it when I get back into town...if I can find it and upload it while i'm away, ill do that for you

I'm currently running 10.5.2 on a e6600, asus p5b deluxe using kalaway 10.5.1 and then his combo update. I want full sound support though, including audio in, so I ordered your board and would like to do a retail install like you did.

I've read through your post numerous times and its a bit hard to follow after all the updates that have happened to it. I just want to clear up what my steps are going to be once the new board comes, I also ordered your network card.

6. Reboot

I also have a 8800gt, so I'm not entirely sure how you added it. To get it working with kalaway I updated to 10.5.2, then updated the system using apple update, then ran nvinject v41 and told it I had a 512 mb card. Did you do something different?

Its not clear what the FilePack is used for. You had some mention of removing the "Hackintosh", and I'd like to do that to. What all will I need out of the FilePack?

And finally, I'd like to dual boot, based on the research I should be able to install osx, then install vista to a seperate partion and tell the vista bootloader about osx. Have you had any experience doing this with your setup?

Thanks again.

In regards to MBR... MBR will work fine with this method if you want to Dual Boot. Just choose MBR as your option when setting up your partition, remember that GUID will be used by default so you have to change that option in Disk Utility.

I will add something about that to guide in the next few days.

Thank you!

Good Luck! :)

Thanks LTL...

When I choose MBR, in the Leopards installer I cant't select that partition because the installer needs it to be GUID... What are I'm doing wrong? Excuse me for my english...

Thanks

LTL, thanks for the great guide.

I've reached the point where I would like to get Bonjour/AFP working (for a networked printer) and need a clarification. Your sig lists 2 network items.

Built in LAN: Realtek 8111B - OK, Bonjour working, SMB working, AFP working

Network: TRENDNT|TEG-PCITXR GIG - working Natively all services

Is it possible to get Bonjour working with the onboard 8111b chip? If so how?

If the 8169 card is required, should I disable the onboard networking and are any drivers required?

Thanks.

CPU: Q6600 2.4 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R | RAM: 2GB (1GBx2) Corsair | Graphics: ASUS 7300GT 256MB | Optical: Samsung SATA DVD burner

I had Kalyway installed but I wanted a cleaner/more functional installation so I went through your advanced guide. I followed each step precisely (guid partition). The image below is what I get when trying to boot from my retail install drive.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Q6600 Quad Core Processor 2.4ghz

GSkill 2 x 2GB

300gig sata

250gig sata

500gig sata

EVGA 8800GT 256mb

retail_boot.jpg

I had Kalyway installed but I wanted a cleaner/more functional installation so I went through your advanced guide. I followed each step precisely (guid partition). The image below is what I get when trying to boot from my retail install drive. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3LQ6600 Quad Core Processor 2.4ghzGSkill 2 x 2GB300gig sata 250gig sata 500gig sataEVGA 8800GT 256mbretail_boot.jpg
You should then follow the noob guide... and choose option 4a vs. 4. Then you can start to add and subtract files as per your research into the hardware you have. Your machine will boot with 4a, get back to me and let me knowIf you want to use the adv guide, I just did my advanced guide on my machine a week ago...worked perfect, have had some friends test and all had good success. Open up the post-script.sh and take a look at it. You may need to make some mods to it for it work. I promise you, that if you get it tweaked for your hardware, it will be a 100% polished install.

LTL, thanks for the great guide. I've reached the point where I would like to get Bonjour/AFP working (for a networked printer) and need a clarification. Your sig lists 2 network items.Built in LAN: Realtek 8111B - OK, Bonjour working, SMB working, AFP workingNetwork: TRENDNT|TEG-PCITXR GIG - working Natively all servicesIs it possible to get Bonjour working with the onboard 8111b chip? If so how?If the 8169 card is required, should I disable the onboard networking and are any drivers required?Thanks.CPU: Q6600 2.4 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R | RAM: 2GB (1GBx2) Corsair | Graphics: ASUS 7300GT 256MB | Optical: Samsung SATA DVD burner

Here is the dealio... I tried up and down and back and forth to get my onboard LAN to work 100%...and in the end I got it to work, but did not like the solution. So i slapped in the 8169 and its been perfect in regards to networking since - I highly recommend it. You will not need any software, changes, etc... OS X sees it as an APple 8169 :P happy days are here again!!!

6. Reboot

Thanks again.

OK Kiddo - you should have NEVER of run nvinject v41, it clearly states its for those people who want to stick with 10.5.1 and want the updated NVIDIA drivers ... you may want to re-install, I would after a mistake like that.

My instructions, if you read them carefully are very clear as to which file pack to use. You should RTFM

In the future use this boot.apple.com.plist in your system. It covers your 8800GT, onboard LAN, Sound. Make sure you remove the NVinject.kext and ALCinject.kext first. com.apple.boot.plist.zip

Is it actually possible to use MBR with PC-EFI and have a nice triboot (with Vista x64 and Linux) ?

Should i use GRUB or Darwin bootloader? I would like the Darwin one, then i guess i have to install OS X as last OS?

Hmmmm can someone please answer??

I dont know why im getting 'ignored'. Help is much appreciated.

THX!!

OK Kiddo - you should have NEVER of run nvinject v41, it clearly states its for those people who want to stick with 10.5.1 and want the updated NVIDIA drivers ... you may want to re-install, I would after a mistake like that.

My instructions, if you read them carefully are very clear as to which file pack to use. You should RTFM

In the future use this boot.apple.com.plist in your system. It covers your 8800GT, onboard LAN, Sound. Make sure you remove the NVinject.kext and ALCinject.kext first. com.apple.boot.plist.zip

I ran nvinject on a kalaway install. I was just trying to get it all working so I wasnt too focused on the 'correct' way at the time. It worked, but now I want to do it for real, hench buying the new MB and writing the post to you ;). When the MB comes I'll be wiping it all and starting fresh this weekend, thats why I wanted to get the steps nailed down.

Sounds like I should be able to do steps 1-5 then using the new com.apple.boot.plist and that should be all I need to do for a fully working system. ALCinject is by default commented out in the post-patch, and nvinject isnt in there. Looks like I can remove the HDA.zip copy too if you say the plist will cover it all.

I'll report back on how well all this works after I attempt to flatten it on friday.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is the dealio... I tried up and down and back and forth to get my onboard LAN to work 100%...and in the end I got it to work, but did not like the solution. So i slapped in the 8169 and its been perfect in regards to networking since - I highly recommend it. You will not need any software, changes, etc... OS X sees it as an APple 8169 :D happy days are here again!!!

Got it. Native Apple support = 1 less thing to break in the future. :P Thanks.

I got a "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds of press the restart button." error on boot up after trying the 4a install method. Basically a panic attack before I'm in OS X. Thanks for the time to post a guide, for now I'm going to reinstall a clean kalyway install. For those having issues with this guide and want something that just works, this guide for kalyway is fairly bulletproof: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689

Hi ;)

I'm a bit new to mac stuff but I really like it so far and tried your guide .9

I have a working Kalaway installation but sometimes it crashes (screen gets darker and says I have to reboot) I think it happens when I use application with heavy network usage sometimes. Is there a way to find out what cased that screen ? :)

I followed your guide and nothing produced an error except the following line:

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

which said that the file to delete could not get found.

after rebooting on the new hard drive I get the white apple screen with the rotating sign which takes longer then my kalaway boot and after some time I get some kind of broken sign in the middle of the screen.

Is there a way to enter boot options (-v) so I can watch what goes wrong ? On the kalaway install there is a timer but the retail thing boots instantly .9

My mainboard is a p35-ds3p and I have a x1950 graphics card.

I'd appreciate any help :)

hello all,

sorry if this question has been answered already, but I can't find a solution anywhere. When running the pre script, I get a "cannot execute binary" error at the ./startupfiletool section...which is very early in this process. Any ideas? I am running Kalyway, and looking to install Retail DVD with Vanilla kernel on a separate SATA drive. I only ran Kalyway so that I have a "mac" to run the scripts on. Target SATA drive has been partitioned as GUI, I've changed all necessary disk identifier names in the pre script. Motherboard is ASUS Commando (P965 chipset).

Thanks for any help.

Hi, this is a fascinating to me. I'm new and learning about Hackintosh, and currently have a working AMD Hackintosh thanks to these forums. But I want to run a Intel one, and running as close to vanilla as possible sounds amazing! But my intel board is ASUS.

Is it likely that this setup will work on ASUS P5E? It seems everyone here is building this on a single Gigabyte board. But I can't go out and spend money over again since my ASUS board is very new.

Is it possible to make this P5E board work like this?

I'm worried the answer is no.

I tried to build on an old Intel board but I'm afraid it's past it's due date. :whistle:

Thanks for any advise,

Aescleal

Oh, specs on my newest system are:

Motherboard: - ASUS P5E - - Intel® X38 / ICH9R chipset

Built in LAN: - Marvell88E8056® PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET2

Built in Audio: - SupremeFX II Audio card ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition

Processor: - Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 3.0 GHz - 45 nm, LGA775 - 6 MB L2 Cache - FSB 1333 MHz

Hard Drives: - 34 GB Raptor 10k SATA, Seagate 250 GB SATAII

Memory: - 8 GB OCZ 6400 Platinum

Graphics: - ASUS ATI 3870

PS. I originally bought this board because it supports 2 x PCIe2.0 x16 (both @ x16 mode)