Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Just checking-in to report success with this guide.

I have a fully functioning "so far" (Apple Newbie so I haven't really tried that much yet) Hackintosh system up and running using the files in this guide.

I resolved my video issues by changing to an 8800 GT that I had in my PC system instead of the 8600 GT that I was using and used the com.apple.boot.plist file uploaded in post 141 of this thread.

The one thing that I have been unable to get figured out is Time Machine.

LTL ... Do you have it working on your machine and if so what did you do to get it to work?

I have tried the replacement of the IONfamilynetworking deal but am still getting errors. My network card is the same as yours and is identified as en0.

I installed the TRENDNT TEG-PCITXR PCI Ethernet card and can report total success. Card was natively supported by MacOS and Bonjour works like a charm. I even got Bonjour working on XP running in a VMWare Fusion environment. The card also solved an annoying slowness in regular web browsing where loading is slow every time you hit a new site.

Hmmmm can someone please answer??I dont know why im getting 'ignored'. Help is much appreciated.THX!!
I'm sorry, but I do not know much about what your talking about... i believe that there are guides on how to do this in the forum and this guide is about installing via retail DVD...so maybe no one is ignoring you, your just barking up the wrong tree
I ran nvinject on a kalaway install. I was just trying to get it all working so I wasnt too focused on the 'correct' way at the time. It worked, but now I want to do it for real, hench buying the new MB and writing the post to you :). When the MB comes I'll be wiping it all and starting fresh this weekend, thats why I wanted to get the steps nailed down.Sounds like I should be able to do steps 1-5 then using the new com.apple.boot.plist and that should be all I need to do for a fully working system. ALCinject is by default commented out in the post-patch, and nvinject isnt in there. Looks like I can remove the HDA.zip copy too if you say the plist will cover it all. I'll report back on how well all this works after I attempt to flatten it on friday.Thanks again for your help.
The HDA.zip is something you will need... the ALCinject is not needed because of the EFI strings, but you will need to use the files in the HDA.zip to modify your AppleHDA file... :P
cool guide
THANKS!
I got a "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds of press the restart button." error on boot up after trying the 4a install method. Basically a panic attack before I'm in OS X. Thanks for the time to post a guide, for now I'm going to reinstall a clean kalyway install. For those having issues with this guide and want something that just works, this guide for kalyway is fairly bulletproof: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83689
Sounds like your not following the directions... try the nuuub guide... the advanced requires mods to work if you do not have exactly my hardware, you should also fill out your signature so we know what your trying to install on
Hi ;)I'm a bit new to mac stuff but I really like it so far and tried your guide .9I have a working Kalaway installation but sometimes it crashes (screen gets darker and says I have to reboot) I think it happens when I use application with heavy network usage sometimes. Is there a way to find out what cased that screen ? :)I followed your guide and nothing produced an error except the following line:sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkextwhich said that the file to delete could not get found.after rebooting on the new hard drive I get the white apple screen with the rotating sign which takes longer then my kalaway boot and after some time I get some kind of broken sign in the middle of the screen.Is there a way to enter boot options (-v) so I can watch what goes wrong ? On the kalaway install there is a timer but the retail thing boots instantly .9My mainboard is a p35-ds3p and I have a x1950 graphics card. I'd appreciate any help :P
Please follow the noob guide carefully... the reason the error happened is because its a new install and the extensions.kext will not be created until you bootThe x1950 card, i think you can find a natit from netkas
Just checking-in to report success with this guide. I have a fully functioning "so far" (Apple Newbie so I haven't really tried that much yet) Hackintosh system up and running using the files in this guide. I resolved my video issues by changing to an 8800 GT that I had in my PC system instead of the 8600 GT that I was using and used the com.apple.boot.plist file uploaded in post 141 of this thread. The one thing that I have been unable to get figured out is Time Machine. LTL ... Do you have it working on your machine and if so what did you do to get it to work? I have tried the replacement of the IONfamilynetworking deal but am still getting errors. My network card is the same as yours and is identified as en0.
Glad to hear you had a successIn regards to the time machine. I use the the EFI strings and vanilla IONetworking and all is good...time machine works perfectly
I installed the TRENDNT TEG-PCITXR PCI Ethernet card and can report total success. Card was natively supported by MacOS and Bonjour works like a charm. I even got Bonjour working on XP running in a VMWare Fusion environment. The card also solved an annoying slowness in regular web browsing where loading is slow every time you hit a new site.
Yea, that card is the bomb...

Sounds like your not following the directions... try the nuuub guide... the advanced requires mods to work if you do not have exactly my hardware, you should also fill out your signature so we know what your trying to install on

I have done both the "nuuuub" guide and the advanced and a mix of the two Both the same result, thanks anyways.

Hi, i really need a fast answer, what does './startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8' actually do? Is this essential? I am using the method by copying boot_v8 to /boot on my Linux partition and letting GRUB pointing to it, do i still have to do that command then? What does it do exactly and whats startupfiletool?

Thx LTL for the nice guide ;)

I have done both the "nuuuub" guide and the advanced and a mix of the two Both the same result, thanks anyways.
Then clearly your doing something wrong - your the only one having issues
LTL can you go into more detail about the "EFI strings and vanilla IONetworking" for time machine? I still get volume not found errors.
What hardware are you using? Please fill out your signature before asking for help with your machine specsthanks!!!

Then clearly your doing something wrong - your the only one having issues

I think it's just my motherboard, was a slightly different model. I have the DS3L which doesn't work with retail. I ordered a DS4 though and plan to use Ls8's guide. His scripts are nearly identical to yours, but more up to date. Better copy and paste the new ones.

Hi, i really need a fast answer, what does './startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s2 ./boot_v8' actually do? Is this essential? I am using the method by copying boot_v8 to /boot on my Linux partition and letting GRUB pointing to it, do i still have to do that command then? What does it do exactly and whats startupfiletool?Thx LTL for the nice guide :(
I would go ahead and ask netkas, or the higher ups to created PC-EFI. I'm afraid that is outside the scope of what I have learned so far.When I look at the command, it makes me think that it is setting the disk active to boot v8 of PC-EFI and that would mean, yes.. yuou need it.
I think it's just my motherboard, was a slightly different model. I have the DS3L which doesn't work with retail. I ordered a DS4 though and plan to use Ls8's guide. His scripts are nearly identical to yours, but more up to date. Better copy and paste the new ones.
I respect LS8's work a lot, but my files are a little different than his. I also add EFI strings, Apple HDA patcher... as per my last install, everything went perfect with the given scripts, files, etc. Thats funny, up to date... your a real clown. Anyway, sorry it does not work for you, it has worked for a lot of us.
LTL can you go into more detail about the "EFI strings and vanilla IONetworking" for time machine? I still get volume not found errors.
BTW.. if you read thru my guide, there is some info about fixing your time machine, and a patch... you may want to try that

Hey LTL, can you please provide me a fast answer to my question 2 posts above this?

1. What does that command do, 2.what is startupfiletool and 3.is that step necassary if i just copied boot_v8 to the right folder on my HD?

Ty

I'll take a crack at it . . .

BIOS looks to boot from a specific region of the hard drive, startupfiletool sets the HFS+ startup file info. Basically, the BIOS has to release to some sort of bootloader, startupfiletool tells it what that will be.

The dd commands copy the actual bootstrap code to the hard drive, in the specific spots where the BIOS will be looking.

When you use GRUB, you are doing a completely different boot method, so this isn't necessarily required. The startupfiletool, in my case, is allowing me to do a native boot to a vanilla(unpatched) kernel on a non-EFI based system.

I'll take a crack at it . . .

BIOS looks to boot from a specific region of the hard drive, startupfiletool sets the HFS+ startup file info. Basically, the BIOS has to release to some sort of bootloader, startupfiletool tells it what that will be.

The dd commands copy the actual bootstrap code to the hard drive, in the specific spots where the BIOS will be looking.

When you use GRUB, you are doing a completely different boot method, so this isn't necessarily required. The startupfiletool, in my case, is allowing me to do a native boot to a vanilla(unpatched) kernel on a non-EFI based system.

Ok i think i understand it! Hey thx nuditarian :lol:

if you read thru my guide, there is some info about fixing your time machine, and a patch... you may want to try that

Thanks, I must have missed it, I'll read again. Also apologies, realized I never put my full machine specs in my posts. I have put them in my signature now, it should look very familiar to you. I believe we are nearly identical in rig, except for the small differences in motherboard.

Thanks, I must have missed it, I'll read again. Also apologies, realized I never put my full machine specs in my posts. I have put them in my signature now, it should look very familiar to you. I believe we are nearly identical in rig, except for the small differences in motherboard.

Its ultra close... I am using a vanilla ionetworkingfamily.kext and can send you my personal plist if you want... when I return to my office, i'm still on holiday in Europe, but will be back in a few days.

Its ultra close... I am using a vanilla ionetworkingfamily.kext and can send you my personal plist if you want... when I return to my office, i'm still on holiday in Europe, but will be back in a few days.

That's very much appreciated. I pretty much built my machine based on reading this thread. I had decided on the board a while back, but was hesitant to do Kalyway, and was very excited about the possibility of running retail.

I tried the patch again, (turns out it's the same patch program I found in another thread) and I still have a volume not found error on Time Machine. I'll keep tinkering with it while I await your return. Seriously though, thanks for writing such a great guide and providing the install scripts. It works great even for a noob to Mac/Hackintosh such as myself.

That's very much appreciated. I pretty much built my machine based on reading this thread. I had decided on the board a while back, but was hesitant to do Kalyway, and was very excited about the possibility of running retail.

I tried the patch again, (turns out it's the same patch program I found in another thread) and I still have a volume not found error on Time Machine. I'll keep tinkering with it while I await your return. Seriously though, thanks for writing such a great guide and providing the install scripts. It works great even for a noob to Mac/Hackintosh such as myself.

If I have to create an ISO of my install for you to restore, I will... lets see what we can do... should just be a couple files to get this up and running

LTL, I completely agree with you to buy the real Retail Leopord and patching it from there. The OS is cheap and its the best around(my opinion). I've ordered my motherboard a long time ago and there was a mixup with newegg. I ended up getting a DS3R instead of the DS3P. I finally got it not too long ago. Now I'm waiting for my friend to get me my Leopard that I asked him to buy. Soon I can finally build a nice Leopard PC :rolleyes:

If I have to create an ISO of my install for you to restore, I will... lets see what we can do... should just be a couple files to get this up and running

Thanks for the help out. I'll try from scratch again in the mean time. I have done it a number of times now so I have the process down pretty good. I haven't done anything that isn't easy to do over again as I have just been tinkering on the machine for now.

LTL, I completely agree with you to buy the real Retail Leopord and patching it from there. The OS is cheap and its the best around(my opinion). I've ordered my motherboard a long time ago and there was a mixup with newegg. I ended up getting a DS3R instead of the DS3P. I finally got it not too long ago. Now I'm waiting for my friend to get me my Leopard that I asked him to buy. Soon I can finally build a nice Leopard PC :D
Let me know if I can help
Thanks for the help out. I'll try from scratch again in the mean time. I have done it a number of times now so I have the process down pretty good. I haven't done anything that isn't easy to do over again as I have just been tinkering on the machine for now.
installing a few times may help as well... since i'm using that same install pack and having good success ... even on test installsi'm back home, but wont be in the office until mondaytill then

Let me know if I can helpinstalling a few times may help as well... since i'm using that same install pack and having good success ... even on test installsi'm back home, but wont be in the office until mondaytill then

Do you have to burn Kalyway on a disc cause everytime I click on it,it brings up nero saying to paste it on a disc or something. Also if I put kalyway on a disc how do I access the DVD image? Also which one do I burn? The whole folder or KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3 or MACOSX

Edit: Do you need to do something to activate it at start up