Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Fair enough... and good thought. When your deep in the trenches... we will know :(

Managed to get in to install and update to 10.5.2; turned out I had to disable the JMicron ide controller and put my disks in ahci mode. Just now finished a fight with the Marvell onboard lan and got it to work. Tomorrow for the sound and the rest!

Very nice guide, it definately helped me on my way, cause there's a LOT of information but it's sometimes hard to know where to look :) .

Hey, I finally got the Leopard working! :D

I used a few different kexts from pcwiz's pack and i used a few different commands.

Here's a typo i think i found:

"sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

I used a -rf instead and it worked otherwise it didn't. Thanks for the great guide by the way. I've don't quite a few reinstalls using different kexts. I'm gonna try to use the new SMBIOS from macdotnub i think and have a legit serial.

Thanks again for the guide :lol:

Hi guys,

Quick question, I have now finally got my Retail Vanilla rig running fine, but am really interested in the "EFI Strings" method of installing the drivers for my hardware, instead of manually adding kexts & installers etc... Can someone please explain to me what EFI Strings are & how they work or even just a nod in the right direction?

Cheers guys

PS I'm now officially back to work :( lol!

Ok scratch that! I've found the netkas.org forum that explains it (thanks LTL) and man does that stuff look HARD!!!

Can anyone maybe tell if this hardware would be supported by EFI Strings:

Sparkle 256MB Nvidia 8500GT (PCI! not PCI-express - currently installed with NVInstaller .41)

Netgear WG111v2 (USB WiFi card - currently installed with Kalyway 10.5.2 RTL8187L kexts)

AD1988B Onboard sound (currently installed with AppleAzalia.pkg, but still intermittently appears & disappears)

Thanks again guys :)

Sorry, but I don't have your gear and am not here to research your parts for you. :D I presume you can get your card to work, the instructions are in the netkas forum, your going to have to dig like we all had to do. I have the EFI strings for my board and 8800GT posted here...yea, it was easy but I read the instructions and just tried it a few times

had been using Netkas latest SMBIOS...but it was causing issues with "back to my mac", so I just reverted back to my other SMBIOS that had been working perfectly... attached for your entertainment

Out of town alerts....I am going back to the USA baby!!! i will be away from my computer for 7 days, but not realy as i travel with my MBP...so just bare wtih me if you are here for hlep

whirled peas yo

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

Finally, I change my Motherborad to GA-945GM-S2 and CPU to E2180 (Cause not support to GA-945GM-S2)

and I work fine again. but only recognize 3.XGB Ram :)

Don't know does there have something in my board cause the kernel panic.

Now need back to my work, after finish the works (maybe few weeks later)

maybe try to change to G31M-S3L or other in order can use my CPU.

I am still experimenting with it.

At first it didn't work just plugging it in, but if I remember correctly (I will probably confirm at some point with a re-install)

But I followed instructions before they showed up on InsanelyMac from here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9689

But to the best of my memory ... I followed the guide here with the only change being I downloaded the leopard graphics update from Apple and applied it using the same method that was used to apply 10.5.2 update and it booted the first time and was recognized. No additional steps needed beyond using the install scripts from this thread and no nvinject.

So my memory is failing me ....

EFI strings still required.

Still no Time Machine for me. I get volume not found error every time and I have been through everthing in the time machine thread.

Still messing around with my system trying to find the right combination to get it up and running.

I am just about ready to accept that I won't get time machine running and will use an alternative.

So my memory is failing me ....

EFI strings still required.

Still no Time Machine for me. I get volume not found error every time and I have been through everthing in the time machine thread.

Still messing around with my system trying to find the right combination to get it up and running.

I am just about ready to accept that I won't get time machine running and will use an alternative.

Never give up! ;)

Seriously, it should work fine on your board.. even with the RTL8111b.

Did you try the Time Machine EFI Strings fix ?

It worked perfectly for me..

This was al thats needed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	 <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	 <dict>
		 <key>built-in</key>
		 <string>0x01</string>
	 </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Of course you need to find your own PciRoot with gfxutil, but that should be easy!

I'm running with vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, Time Machine works perfectly.

I did have to disable Time Machine first (set the disk to None), and then change it back.

Never give up! :P

Seriously, it should work fine on your board.. even with the RTL8111b.

Did you try the Time Machine EFI Strings fix ?

It worked perfectly for me..

This was al thats needed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
	  <key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	  <dict>
		  <key>built-in</key>
		  <string>0x01</string>
	  </dict>
 </dict>
 </plist>

Of course you need to find your own PciRoot with gfxutil, but that should be easy!

I'm running with vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext, Time Machine works perfectly.

I did have to disable Time Machine first (set the disk to None), and then change it back.

I'll look into this.

Still very much a newb to Mac and Hackintosh so I am learning as I go.

Finally, I change my Motherborad to GA-945GM-S2 and CPU to E2180 (Cause not support to GA-945GM-S2)

and I work fine again. but only recognize 3.XGB Ram :P

Don't know does there have something in my board cause the kernel panic.

Now need back to my work, after finish the works (maybe few weeks later)

maybe try to change to G31M-S3L or other in order can use my CPU.

I try one more time on my board, GA-P35-DS3L

I found that if I just install one 2 GB Ram on it, it will run smooth

but when I install two 2 GB Ram on it (either on same channel or not)

it will hang sometime. :P

Does we need any patch on more 2 GB Ram?

THANKS!

I try one more time on my board, GA-P35-DS3L

I found that if I just install one 2 GB Ram on it, it will run smooth

but when I install two 2 GB Ram on it (either on same channel or not)

it will hang sometime. :)

Does we need any patch on more 2 GB Ram?

THANKS!

Most people experiencing the same problems as you do just switch on AHCI and never get those problems again. Afaik the problems arise when you use your SATA disks in IDE mode.

Btw., see my sig for the specs of my machine. The board is very similar to the DS3L, but i don't have any problems running 6 GB of ram with AHCI enabled (and all ports working as well).

Most people experiencing the same problems as you do just switch on AHCI and never get those problems again. Afaik the problems arise when you use your SATA disks in IDE mode.

Btw., see my sig for the specs of my machine. The board is very similar to the DS3L, but i don't have any problems running 6 GB of ram with AHCI enabled (and all ports working as well).

Thanks for your reply,

I already switch on the AHCI in bios (Integrated Peripherals)

and Enable the Native Mode (do I need Disable it?)

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply,

I already switch on the AHCI in bios (Integrated Peripherals)

and Enable the Native Mode (do I need Disable it?)

Thanks!

That's right and for safe measure, disable the IDE controller (JMicron). That is the cause of the hangs. I use an all SATA system with JMicron disabled and AHCI on and it works well.

That's right and for safe measure, disable the IDE controller (JMicron). That is the cause of the hangs. I use an all SATA system with JMicron disabled and AHCI on and it works well.

DITTO

Question to LTL regarding install script....

Earlier in this thread I thought you mentioned that you were using the vanilla IOTAfamily and IOnetworking kexts, yet your install script does a replacement of those?

Since I am not using the onboard ethernet and am using the native support trendnet card like you should I not be doing that replacement?

So, is this guide going to get updated to reflect that new system install disk (full blown 10.5.2..woohoo, no downloads!) that is floating around the net?

PS: this guide rocks, worked the best out of all the others I tried.

Question to LTL regarding install script....Earlier in this thread I thought you mentioned that you were using the vanilla IOTAfamily and IOnetworking kexts, yet your install script does a replacement of those?Since I am not using the onboard ethernet and am using the native support trendnet card like you should I not be doing that replacement?
I would # the IOnetworking to use vanilla and let it install IOTAfamily... as I stated in the instructions, everyone should examine the script and customize it as needed let me know how that works, you can always experiment me!!
So, is this guide going to get updated to reflect that new system install disk (full blown 10.5.2..woohoo, no downloads!) that is floating around the net? PS: this guide rocks, worked the best out of all the others I tried.
considering the fact that a majority of people have 10.5.0 disks, less having .1, and very few .2... I think I will leave the guide as is. if you have .2, then you should know you can leave out the .2 update section. If i have time, I will add a blurb about that. I'm currently on holiday cheers :D
So, is this guide going to get updated to reflect that new system install disk (full blown 10.5.2..woohoo, no downloads!) that is floating around the net? PS: this guide rocks, worked the best out of all the others I tried.
and thanks for the compliment :D guide was a lot of work

I would # the IOnetworking to use vanilla and let it install IOTAfamily... as I stated in the instructions, everyone should examine the script and customize it as needed let me know how that works, you can always experiment me!!

I misspoke ... IOTAFamily is the only .kext being replaced in my install script. Not IOnetworking, it's still vanilla.

I added the EFI strings for my ethernet card as suggested in this thread and will try running the install script again. Still searching for that working time machine.

EDIT:

After a fresh clean install I am seeing the same Time Machine errors as before, backup volume not found. But at least I think I have perfected the install process and everything else seems to be running fine.

In the console I get the following message when I pick the drive to back-up to:

System Preferences - Failed to get MAC address for machine

Which is strange because my MAC is listed under my ethernet card and my ethernet card is en0.

I am stuck for now.

Finally, I buy a IDE to SATA Converter to install on the PATA HDD

and replace a SATA DVD-RW

and follow this guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

Disable the AHCI in bios.

Now it work smooth.

Thanks -DuNe- and LTL

I will test the system in these few days, hope it work! :angel:

BTW how to disable the IDE controller?

THANKS!

Hello again!

I have purchase hardware and installed Kalyway 10.5.2 distribution. Now I am trying to install retail with the wisdom of this wonderful guide. I have overcome some (evidently not all) of my own limitations and have made it all the way to the apple screen at boot. Then I get a kernel panic and I am prompted to re-start.

I am fairly confident that I applied the pre patch scrip successfully (earlier I could not get past the disk pool verification of bios because I had an mistake in the pre patch scrip the result of which was that pc efi was not installed correctly) I fixed it and was able to resolve that issue with bios hanging.

potential concerns that I have about my installation. I am not sure that I installed the 10.5.2 update correctly. I double clicked in the downloaded dmg then double clicked on the install package and followed the instructions. (i did apply the update to the correct hard drive) Perhaps I was supposed to use terminal to install the update?

Another concern is that I replaced the com.apple.boot.plist with the version from post 203 which LTL was kind enough to explain had efi strings for my video card and sound.

I am aware that this post is not as specific as I would like and I will gladly provide more information once I have been educated.

Thanks very much

Success!!!

I am now 100% up and running (or so it seems so far) Slepp, Restart, Shutdown all good. (Sleep only wake from power button)

Time Machine backup works and it looks like I haven't broken anything else in the process.

After digging further into the log I saw the UUID error and some searching revealed this page and fix:

http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...ension-fix.html

After applying the fix, time machine recognized the drive and created a flawless backup. Not sure why I had to do this when an almost identical set-up is working flawlessly for LTL, but the good news is it's fixed and running, thanks to the community here.

I am happy to report my first successful retail install!

I replaced the com.apple.boot.plist with the version included in v2 and I was able to install and boot successfully!

Then I installed nvinject

Next I installed everything from software update (10 items)

I am just beginning to test the system so I am sure that I will be asking for help if I have problems that i cant solve.

As of now the only issue that I have discovered is that sleep and restart from the Apple menu are not working.

I thought that the post-patch script installed Mach_Kernel at volumes/$destination/ but I don't see it. Does this mean that it was not installed (or that one of the items in software update removed it?) and i am running the vanilla kernel thus accounting for my sleep and restart issues?

LTL- I am very excited about the retail install as it just feels right.

Many thanks