Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

hi LTL

I got stuck at noob guide Step 1 11.unmount the macintosh drive, doing so is making it invisible in step 3 open osinstall.mpkg

so i tried not to unmount it and install and typed all the command lines, and when it boots, it says non system disk, boot failure :help:

After 1 day try,

It seems not work with CS2.

When use ID or AI, sometimes it show shut down box. so that I need restart the computer.

Any hints?

Today I try to uninstall CS2 and install CS3,

when it almost finish the installation, it hang and show the shut down box again. :(

I think it maybe still some CS2 file work in background.

I reboot and try install CS3. it still can't finish the installation.

Then I try to reinstall the Retail Leopard, also I disable HDD S.M.A.R.T and No-Execute Memory Protect in bios (I don't know it relate or not).

And this time I can finish the installation of CS3, and now work half a day without the "shut down box".

I hope it will last longer. :)

hi LTL

I got stuck at noob guide Step 1 11.unmount the macintosh drive, doing so is making it invisible in step 3 open osinstall.mpkg

so i tried not to unmount it and install and typed all the command lines, and when it boots, it says non system disk, boot failure :)

OK

I retried to install today, and everything worked !!

thank you LTL :)

The installation went perfectly. I used two internal SATA hard drives, with Leo4AllV2 on one, and I installed the retail version to the other. Thanks for the wonderful Guide.

As is common, Time Machine doesn't work (it doesn't recognize my USB drive), but I know the fix (plus I just boot into Leo4All and use Time Machine from it, which also backs up the retail installation)[update: The fix fixed it]. Only a USB keyboard and mouse work, whereas I've always been able to use PS/2 versions on previous installations. Sound and graphics don't work (no audio device recognized and graphics is limited to 1024 x 768 only), and there is the constant problem of downloads frequently stopping after just a few MB.

Guest Snowski

Hi LTL, thx a lot for your guide but I have a question concerning EFI Strings.

I already have a GFX string for my 7800GT but how do I add your Audio & Ethernet hex strings to my plist?

Do I just add the string after my GFX string or do I have to do all in one go?

Thx

Hi LTL, thx a lot for your guide but I have a question concerning EFI Strings.I already have a GFX string for my 7800GT but how do I add your Audio & Ethernet hex strings to my plist?Do I just add the string after my GFX string or do I have to do all in one go? Thx
You are going to have to take the strings from E, A, and add it to your Video strings and then recompile the string for your plist all together. The guide is here EFIgood luck :)
The installation went perfectly. I used two internal SATA hard drives, with Leo4AllV2 on one, and I installed the retail version to the other. Thanks for the wonderful Guide.As is common, Time Machine doesn't work (it doesn't recognize my USB drive), but I know the fix (plus I just boot into Leo4All and use Time Machine from it, which also backs up the retail installation)[update: The fix fixed it]. Only a USB keyboard and mouse work, whereas I've always been able to use PS/2 versions on previous installations. Sound and graphics don't work (no audio device recognized and graphics is limited to 1024 x 768 only), and there is the constant problem of downloads frequently stopping after just a few MB.
Since you have a diff mobo, your going to have to do some tweaking to get things rolling just right..but i'm sure the solutions are there, please post them when you find them
Today I try to uninstall CS2 and install CS3, when it almost finish the installation, it hang and show the shut down box again. :( I think it maybe still some CS2 file work in background.I reboot and try install CS3. it still can't finish the installation.Then I try to reinstall the Retail Leopard, also I disable HDD S.M.A.R.T and No-Execute Memory Protect in bios (I don't know it relate or not).And this time I can finish the installation of CS3, and now work half a day without the "shut down box".I hope it will last longer. ;)
Please put your system specs into your signaturethanks
The installation went perfectly. I used two internal SATA hard drives, with Leo4AllV2 on one, and I installed the retail version to the other. Thanks for the wonderful Guide.As is common, Time Machine doesn't work (it doesn't recognize my USB drive), but I know the fix (plus I just boot into Leo4All and use Time Machine from it, which also backs up the retail installation)[update: The fix fixed it]. Only a USB keyboard and mouse work, whereas I've always been able to use PS/2 versions on previous installations. Sound and graphics don't work (no audio device recognized and graphics is limited to 1024 x 768 only), and there is the constant problem of downloads frequently stopping after just a few MB.
Have you tried THIS TM fix?

Guest Snowski

Oh ,thx for the reply LTL, I'll try this right away.

Another question while you are around. I got this new rig since yesterday right, before I had an X2 AMD system with leopard running. Now when I tried to boot the AMD installation yesterday and it actualy worked, go figure.

What seems odd to me is that AMD system recognized my Quad Core in About this mac (it showed up properly) whereas now with retail it shows unknown 2,4GHz. I could manualy edit it but do you have any idea why it showed up properly on my AMD system and how I could get this on th Intel?

Thx bro

Oh ,thx for the reply LTL, I'll try this right away.

Another question while you are around. I got this new rig since yesterday right, before I had an X2 AMD system with leopard running. Now when I tried to boot the AMD installation yesterday and it actualy worked, go figure.

What seems odd to me is that AMD system recognized my Quad Core in About this mac (it showed up properly) whereas now with retail it shows unknown 2,4GHz. I could manualy edit it but do you have any idea why it showed up properly on my AMD system and how I could get this on th Intel?

Thx bro

Read my guide, mostly everyone has to manually edit ;)

Guest Snowski

Sorry, quick question again. I used the guide for GFX EFI long time ago bud.

Do you mean these strings or? PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)

Sorry of I sound stupid. I reall want to learn but I'm not as quick as I used to be anymore;)

Thx again

Update: I unpacked pciutils from that download link, installed it but without a clue what it was. Now its installed somewhere I dont know about and have no need for it. I guess I'll wait for the other strings cause I'm starting to mess my system up this way.

Thx though for info bud

Sorry, quick question again. I used the guide for GFX EFI long time ago bud.

Do you mean these strings or? PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)

Sorry of I sound stupid. I reall want to learn but I'm not as quick as I used to be anymore;)

Thx again

You dont' sound stupid at all, this is not our professions and we are all smart enough to have found each other and figured most of this stuff out

with that said... i have not done it ina few months either... so you are going to have to follow the instructions

its really late here in Asia right now, my GF is waiting for me in bed and i don't have time to do a refresher course (its all ball bearings these days)

i can send you the files you will need tomorrow if you can wait

let me know..goign to bed

Guest Snowski

That would be great bud. Another last quick question, Do you use the vanilla kernel cause when I use it I don't have a working restart anymore. The netkas sleep kernel woks fine and sleep is instant on/off.

UPDATE: nevermind, I just noticed you use the netkas too. Sorry bud, been at it all day now.

Thx and sleep well my friend

AIRPORT EXPRESS?

i am running DS4 mobo with 10.5.2, PC-EFI 8, and Retail DVD. all seems to work great but i cant get my hak to acknowledge my airport express. i am using an ethernet cable to connect the onboard LAN to the airport express and get WIFI this way.

anyone else trying this? doesn't seem to find the airport express when i try to run airport utility....

express works well this way on another real mac and a pc elsewhere on the network but not with the hakintosh.

anyone else trying to do this?????

Awesome guide, just got it going on my ECS 945GCT-M/1333 mobo using the v2 filepack. I might be missing something, but I don't see a link for the v3 pack, I'd like to use it for the new SMBIOS. Is it a problem on my end or did the post update without the link?

Thanks a lot for this guide, I love knowing exactly what's going on with my install, the patched disks don't sit right with me - and I can use my legitimately purchased OSX disk, it feels a bit better that way.

For people with my board, here is a list of the kext's that I moved/used (basically 4a with a few of the others):

1. Do all of the steps in 4a.

2. Do these steps from 4.

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo cp kext/AppleACPIPlatform /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext - once more for good measure.

Sweet!

Are you using the onboard GMA950? I have the exact same board. I did an initial install using the kalyway 10.5.1 dvd, then did a retail install from my retail 10.5.0 disk, installed the 10.5.2 update, leopard graphics update(both from apple) and the system boots but I can not change screen resolution. copying the AppleIntelGMA* kexts from the kaly install got it mostly working but have the huge ugly artifacts on all menus so it's useless.

i'll give this guide a whirl in a bit, gotta go run some errands first.

Guest Snowski

I just noticed I get this after waking up from sleep. I'm using the netkas sleep kernel btw.

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel System Sleep

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel System Wake

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

and it keeps flooding with the invalid error msg.

Any ideas lads?

I have done the GFX string but have no idea if that has something do do with it.

Thx

UPDATE: seems to be cause of setting sleep mode to S3 in BIOS. I have changed it to S1 and the error messages dissapeared but the sleep function doesnt seem to be working properly anymore. Wakes up then shuts down again and then wakes up again and stays on.

Also ,there is a difference between the two modes.

On S3, sleep goes shutds everything and wakes up again from whee I left it, all very, very fast. In S1 sleep turns of hardware but the fans keep spinning. Mind you, I never really used sleep, even in windows, so this might all sound stupid.

I would love to have that fast S3 sleep mode though. Any ideas on the above error message?

I just noticed I get this after waking up from sleep. I'm using the netkas sleep kernel btw.

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel System Sleep

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel System Wake

20/04/08 20-apr-08 17:45 kernel FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

and it keeps flooding with the invalid error msg.

Any ideas lads?

I have done the GFX string but have no idea if that has something do do with it.

Thx

UPDATE: seems to be cause of setting sleep mode to S3 in BIOS. I have changed it to S1 and the error messages dissapeared but the sleep function doesnt seem to be working properly anymore. Wakes up then shuts down again and then wakes up again and stays on.

Also ,there is a difference between the two modes.

On S3, sleep goes shutds everything and wakes up again from whee I left it, all very, very fast. In S1 sleep turns of hardware but the fans keep spinning. Mind you, I never really used sleep, even in windows, so this might all sound stupid.

I would love to have that fast S3 sleep mode though. Any ideas on the above error message?

Did you follow the guide re: BIOS settings? Have you followed the guide to the T? I find that those who have issues do not follow or made a little mistake along the way

my entire machine works perfectly... actually runs better than my MacBook Pro

Guest Snowski
Did you follow the guide re: BIOS settings? Have you followed the guide to the T? I find that those who have issues do not follow or made a little mistake along the way

my entire machine works perfectly... actually runs better than my MacBook Pro

Are you using S1 for sleep mode in BIOS?

I did the guide but used the ultra vanilla mode so I did not install all the kexts. I also couldnt boot after the 10.5.2 combo update but that was fixed by removing applecpupowermanagement kext and the ultra vanilla kext replacement.

Should I replace all the kexts then?

Thx

Are you using S1 for sleep mode in BIOS?

I did the guide but used the ultra vanilla mode so I did not install all the kexts. I also couldnt boot after the 10.5.2 combo update but that was fixed by removing applecpupowermanagement kext and the ultra vanilla kext replacement.

Should I replace all the kexts then?

Thx

You need to follow my advanced guide ... BIOS settings from Noob Guide

And then you will be ok

Take your time and follow the instructions carefully and your system will run great.

Now I have discovered that my IDE DVD drive does not work completely on my main install.

I get a kernal panic when I try to copy a lot of files.

I found this out when I tried to install OS 9 using sheepsaver (for some old games). I had to create a dics with OS 9 on it then move hundreds of tiny files.

Oh well, I just ordered an IDE to SATA converter. Hopefully that will work.

Guest Snowski

I need others with similar mobo's (firewire) to try this:

- Set Sleep mode to S3 (str) in BIOS

- If you did not use FW before make sure it is enabled now

- Start console and select to show all messages

- Put PC to sleep and then wake up

- Check console for Firewire GUID 000... is invalid flood msg.

- I bet 99% will have the same issue as me. This one probably needs another FW kext.

Laters

hi

does anyone use the board's F1_1394 (IEEE 1394a header) connector, it's the one who's usually connected to the chassis front panel firewire port.

I tried with my iPod, it's charging the battery but doesn't mount. Then I tried with the F_USB1/F_USB2 (USB Headers), both connected to the chassis front panel's USB and it does mount.

hi

does anyone use the board's F1_1394 (IEEE 1394a header) connector, it's the one who's usually connected to the chassis front panel firewire port.

I tried with my iPod, it's charging the battery but doesn't mount. Then I tried with the F_USB1/F_USB2 (USB Headers), both connected to the chassis front panel's USB and it does mount.

'

My front panel's firewire and usb ports all work. I've mounted an external hard drive via firewire and I can use my mp3 player with the usbs.

'

My front panel's firewire and usb ports all work. I've mounted an external hard drive via firewire and I can use my mp3 player with the usbs.

you used LTL's method ? I installed it retail via the advanced user guide (it all works great by the way, and my cinebench scores are tremendous)

So I checked in Vista if maybe the port wasn't working or something, but it does mount firewire devices. I don't know which ketxt or string deal with this port.