Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Who are you asking? Me or the guy who I answered? If me - no it wasn't overclocked when I observed and resolved the problem. Now is another story.

I was asking you :( I haven't tried to over clock my system yet ... was wondering what you suggested

Sorry for the late reply but have friends in town visiting from home.

I just setup EFI for my video card yesterday... and will help you set yours up the same way. Just give me a day or so to get all the info organized so I can share

:(

Hey, thanks -- I got it actually (later that same day) with EFI, along with sound. Works beautifully. Now the only problem is Bonjour and AFP, if that were working, it would be perfect. Any success there?

I popped in a Motorola Bluetooth USB adapter and that works perfect too, so I picked up that Apple bluetooth keyboard (the super slim aluminum one) and a Logitech bluetooth mouse and they work awesome. I love this machine, it is wicked fast - most apps launch in one dock bounce or less. World of Warcraft runs better than Windows. I'm only maintaining a Windows drive for my other games - Crysis, TF2, Bioshock, etc.

thanks!

Rk

Hi All,

Thanks, the install went great

That was until I updated

I used the 10.5.0 retail image, then updated to 10.5.1 - no problems

I updated with some further instructions from kunijp

Did clean install from your guide, did update to 10.5.2 from DEVIN's guide,

redo step 4, permission repaired, reboot.

Stuck on grey screen, wait for 15 min? 20 min? wait till no more harddisk activities,

force reboot, at darwin hit F8, do a -v startup, install NVInstallerV.32.

reboot and all is great! Fast! 10.5.2 is fast!

But I got a mother of a panic

So I rebooted into single user the did fsck -fy - it didn't like that either - nothing but what you see in the pic

post-155359-1204375027_thumb.jpg

Hey, thanks -- I got it actually (later that same day) with EFI, along with sound. Works beautifully. Now the only problem is Bonjour and AFP, if that were working, it would be perfect. Any success there?

I popped in a Motorola Bluetooth USB adapter and that works perfect too, so I picked up that Apple bluetooth keyboard (the super slim aluminum one) and a Logitech bluetooth mouse and they work awesome. I love this machine, it is wicked fast - most apps launch in one dock bounce or less. World of Warcraft runs better than Windows. I'm only maintaining a Windows drive for my other games - Crysis, TF2, Bioshock, etc.

thanks!

Rk

Drop in the same network card I got... its in my sig, works natively with vanilla IONetworking Family... AFP, SMB, Bonjour... all milky

Do you like your 8800GT? I'm getting a new card and am on the fence!!! the 8800GT i had was bad... so am working out a replacement now

Hi All,

That was until I updated

So I rebooted into single user the did fsck -fy - it didn't like that either - nothing but what you see in the pic

Follow the 10.5.2 update guide from Devin... then come back and report

GL

LTL- following your guide right now. All was well until I got to 4a. Got the same error as one of the other people that posted. THEN, I went back and reread your "when its finished installing click enter" comment. I am such a dumbass! So now the the OS is installing! LOL. Your guide is really easy, copy and paste...change a few items here and there and voila'.

Have some other things to do after this, but will keep on posting with updates...

LTL- following your guide right now. All was well until I got to 4a. Got the same error as one of the other people that posted. THEN, I went back and reread your "when its finished installing click enter" comment. I am such a dumbass! So now the the OS is installing! LOL. Your guide is really easy, copy and paste...change a few items here and there and voila'.

Have some other things to do after this, but will keep on posting with updates...

You know, I end up coming back and cutting and pasting myself :blink: let me know how i can help you out... my system is now complete (as of today!!) so i can focus more on cleaning up my guild, keep the files up to date and lending a hand.

Awesome guide, just got it going on my ECS 945GCT-M/1333 mobo using the v2 filepack. I might be missing something, but I don't see a link for the v3 pack, I'd like to use it for the new SMBIOS. Is it a problem on my end or did the post update without the link?

Thanks a lot for this guide, I love knowing exactly what's going on with my install, the patched disks don't sit right with me - and I can use my legitimately purchased OSX disk, it feels a bit better that way.

For people with my board, here is a list of the kext's that I moved/used (basically 4a with a few of the others):

1. Do all of the steps in 4a.

2. Do these steps from 4.

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

sudo cp kext/AppleACPIPlatform /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext - once more for good measure.

Sweet!

m8, many thanks for the post.

I've used this and a few others to get up and running from retail disk, however the com.apple.boot.plist with the audio and gfx strings worked like a charm. I have the exact same setup (rev.1.1 of board) so it just slotted right in. The system seems a little snappier since doing this too. Might be my imagination!

Great work :(

Rand

LTL...u said this in mar.4 update in ur post "i was able to sort out my LAN issues by installing the cheap 8169 card which uses native Apple drivers" what issues u have in ur Built in LAN (8111b)?do i have to buy 8169 card? there is no link in your latest package..unable to DL

Does hackintosh still show up in the about this mac?
With File Pack 3, it should not. I just uploaded it....was having network errors so am using rapidshare now. :wallbash:
Awesome guide, just got it going on my ECS 945GCT-M/1333 mobo using the v2 filepack. I might be missing something, but I don't see a link for the v3 pack, I'd like to use it for the new SMBIOS. Is it a problem on my end or did the post update without the link?Thanks a lot for this guide, I love knowing exactly what's going on with my install, the patched disks don't sit right with me - and I can use my legitimately purchased OSX disk, it feels a bit better that way.For people with my board, here is a list of the kext's that I moved/used (basically 4a with a few of the others):1. Do all of the steps in 4a.2. Do these steps from 4.

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kextsudo cp kext/AppleACPIPlatform /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext - once more for good measure.

Sweet!

Was having upload issues...something is wrong with the website...so I just uploaded it and linked to rapidshare for the v.3 file pack... try it out :hysterical:
m8, many thanks for the post.I've used this and a few others to get up and running from retail disk, however the com.apple.boot.plist with the audio and gfx strings worked like a charm. I have the exact same setup (rev.1.1 of board) so it just slotted right in. The system seems a little snappier since doing this too. Might be my imagination!Great work :)Rand
Its :hysterical: snappier!!! believe it believe it!!!
LTL...u said this in mar.4 update in ur post "i was able to sort out my LAN issues by installing the cheap 8169 card which uses native Apple drivers" what issues u have in ur Built in LAN (8111b)?do i have to buy 8169 card? there is no link in your latest package..unable to DL
File Pack now listed8111b does not work well with Bonjour and AFP. I got the card for like 15$ off newegg and it worked perfectly... the 8169 chipset is natively supported. you can actually see the 8169 drivers in the IONetworkingfamily.kext.It's a great solution :(

has anyone noticed that network time is not working properly? The service is having a hard time launching

Let me know what you see... i'm out of time! hahaha :angel:

3/5/08 1:45:14 PM com.apple.service_helper[5142] launchctl: Error unloading: org.ntp.ntpd

3/5/08 1:45:14 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.ntp.ntpd) Unknown key: SHAuthorizationRight

Hi All,

That was until I updated

try to boot with -f -v options, then if u go well u have to delete the caches.

Hi all! I just reloaded my unit following LTL's instructions. Unit is running good. Used the V3 pack, no more Hackintosh. Also, during my endeavor, I tried cjam's: "sudo cp kext/AppleACPIPlatform /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/MacOS/" but it didn't work. said the command wasn't right or something.

Just some information to tell:

Network: Go

Audio: Go with correct patches installed

Restart: No Go

Shutdown: Go

Time Machine: Seems to work. Picked up the raid drive that I want to use for it.

Haven't really tested anything else. If anyone needs anything tested, let me know, especially if you have my mobo

Here is what I have done so far:

Used these instructions to load a retail version of Leopard. It is by far the best at getting things going: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

LTL is the best!

Ran repair permissions like a million times. The only issues that show up are iLife or iPhoto {censored}. Not worrying about it. Got rid of the UUID error, I think. Will see tomorrow when I get back to work if Superduper is still having issues making the raid the start up device.

Did the 10.5.2 update using Devin's instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry618748

Devin is also great!

Again, follow the directions to the "T" Got the usual issues afterwards. The about this MAC window was all goofy. If my feeble attempts at fixing it were not successful, I will go back and do LTL's 4a steps. That should take care of it.

Since I have DFI LanParty Dark P35-T2RS, everything is not all plug and play. However, with my drives all connected to the onboard SATA and AHCI enabled, I was able to set up RAID sets thru Disk Utility. That was pretty exciting. Currently I have 2 Rosewill RC-211 with the Sil-3132 chips and the drives connected to them.

So far, everything works except for restart and am uncertain about sleep. I don't let my machines go into sleep, so I probably won't worry about it too much. I Will continue to troubleshoot restart. I may not even worry about it. Time Machine works like a champ and backs up to my designated raid set. I have also have a 160Gb and 200Gb individual drives.

Gotta go for now. If you need help, drop me a line.

Here is what I have done so far:

Used these instructions to load a retail version of Leopard. It is by far the best at getting things going: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

LTL is the best!

Ran repair permissions like a million times. The only issues that show up are iLife or iPhoto {censored}. Not worrying about it. Got rid of the UUID error, I think. Will see tomorrow when I get back to work if Superduper is still having issues making the raid the start up device.

Did the 10.5.2 update using Devin's instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry618748

Devin is also great!

Again, follow the directions to the "T" Got the usual issues afterwards. The about this MAC window was all goofy. If my feeble attempts at fixing it were not successful, I will go back and do LTL's 4a steps. That should take care of it.

Since I have DFI LanParty Dark P35-T2RS, everything is not all plug and play. However, with my drives all connected to the onboard SATA and AHCI enabled, I was able to set up RAID sets thru Disk Utility. That was pretty exciting. Currently I have 2 Rosewill RC-211 with the Sil-3132 chips and the drives connected to them.

So far, everything works except for restart and am uncertain about sleep. I don't let my machines go into sleep, so I probably won't worry about it too much. I Will continue to troubleshoot restart. I may not even worry about it. Time Machine works like a champ and backs up to my designated raid set. I have also have a 160Gb and 200Gb individual drives.

Gotta go for now. If you need help, drop me a line.

Thats great to hear, GRATS!!! very glad to have been able to help.

Let me first start out by saying thanks LTL for posting this guide. I am suprised I ran across it because everything in this forum gets buried but I found it. I was looking for the best motherboard to get that worked well with 10.5 and I got the Gigabyte P35-DS4. I purchased a MacBook Air and loved the OS, but it was too damn slow so i returned it and found the osX86 project and just had to get it going at home. After I returned the MBA I had been testing your method (post #1) on a laptop and was able to learn a few things but also got very frustrated... However, using your method on the P35-DS4 was MUCH easier - anyways, I wanted to post some things that might help people down the road (if they get this far in the thread :angel: )

• Dont use a 10.4.x version to try this because when you try 'open OSinstall.mpkg' it will error out after you pick the destination - just save yourself time and use some 10.5 version
  • When looking for the Kalyway build, save yourself time and find the the 10.5 version that is marked as SSE2 and SSE3. If you get the 'SSE3 ONLY' one it may drive you insane, the SSE2 and SSE3 build seems better
  • Oh, if you get one of these images from your friends or the net and it just boots into 10.5 and not giving you the option to install, then reboot and hit F8 as soon as you see it reboot or keep hitting F8 until it asks you if you want to add a command at start up. Use "-v -x" (without the quotes) to start the install process (this drove me insane because it would keep booting and i didnt know I should do F8 then -v -x)
  • when you are doing this process, try and have a video solution in place in case you dont get a video driver after the install is done - it is very hard to work without a good video driver - especially if you have to scroll and move documents!
  • After the install dont try and do the apple update, it wont boot afterwards - make sure to follow the process listed in post #1. NOTE: Save yourself time and grief, redo step 4 after you do the update but before you reboot... After I was able to get it boot after the update (had to boot into single user mode and then reboot, seemed to come back but not like before) - i had to redo step 4 and I was able to get all my things back like reboot, sound, 'About this Mac', etc...

My rig rocks! I think the bios boot takes longer than the OS boot!!! It shows that I have 1 processor with 4 cores, 2 gigs of RAM and my Nvidia 8800 with 768megs of RAM. I cant wait to buy iLife08, Toast Platinum, Parallels and 6 more gigs of RAM! I already bought the OSX cd, best $129 I ever spent! I think that if this works out I will buy the full MAC 24" !!! However, I do miss the screen on the MBA :angel:

I have followed your install method from a retail 10.5.0 DVD. After I reboot to the disk where i've done the fresh install, it hangs. Ive tried both the Archive2 kexts and the files_v3 kexts. Are these kexts too new for 10.5.0?

Are you using the same motherboard as listed in post #1? Did you go through all the steps? If you forget to do the ownership step, it wont work when you reboot.

Hey,

You may want to update your guide for this. I followed all your steps but after i'd installed the retail image (10.5.0) I installed the 10.5.2 combo update immediately. I then followed the rest of your guide and applied all the kext files in your filesv3.zip.

When I restarted it worked, no need to follow any guide of installing 10.5.2, it installed fine at 10.5.2. It booted as if I had a new mac - took me through the setup screens :)

It works so much faster than the kalway install I was using and its 99% vanilla install.

Cheers for the excellent guide.

Hey,

You may want to update your guide for this. I followed all your steps but after i'd installed the retail image (10.5.0) I installed the 10.5.2 combo update immediately. I then followed the rest of your guide and applied all the kext files in your filesv3.zip.

When I restarted it worked, no need to follow any guide of installing 10.5.2, it installed fine at 10.5.2. It booted as if I had a new mac - took me through the setup screens :unsure:

It works so much faster than the kalway install I was using and its 99% vanilla install.

Thats interesting, I wrote it after I was already running 10.5.1, so thats something I never explored, but it makes sense and i'm glad to hear that.

My system totally rocks. It's been up and running for a week now, no reboot, just smooth sailing. I'm so happy and satisfied. All i need are a pair of fatty monitors and i'm all set!

Hey,

When I restarted it worked, no need to follow any guide of installing 10.5.2, it installed fine at 10.5.2. It booted as if I had a new mac - took me through the setup screens :D

How and when did you exactly install the combo update? Did you also install it via the terminal? Please could you be more specific?

Thx :)