Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

Hey,

You may want to update your guide for this. I followed all your steps but after i'd installed the retail image (10.5.0) I installed the 10.5.2 combo update immediately. I then followed the rest of your guide and applied all the kext files in your filesv3.zip.

When I restarted it worked, no need to follow any guide of installing 10.5.2, it installed fine at 10.5.2. It booted as if I had a new mac - took me through the setup screens :)

It works so much faster than the kalway install I was using and its 99% vanilla install.

Cheers for the excellent guide.

Am testing out the netkas sleep shutdown kernel... will update soon

How and when did you exactly install the combo update? Did you also install it via the terminal? Please could you be more specific?

I was having issues booting to my retail 10.5.0 install - I think the kexts I was using were too new (both the ones in archive2.zip and filesv3.zip) and 10.5.0 didn't like them.

Basically I followed LTL's guide up to, but not including, where he talks about installing the kexts. I then opened the OSX 10.5.2 combo update (by double clicking on the desktop - not via terminal) and installed it to the disk where i'd installed retail OSX. Cos your installing to another disk it doesnt require a reboot, nor does it install any startup script so there is no need to follow the widely published hackint0sh 10.5.2 update guide. I then continued to follow the guide by LTL and installed the kexts from the filesv3. Then I rebooted to the disk where i'd installed retail OSX + 10.5.2. I crossed my fingers and it booted up with no problems :angry: It took me through the regular new mac setup screens. When I checked in 'about this mac' it said I was running 10.5.2. So essentially i'd slipstreamed my install to 10.5.2.

Not had any problems at all, and as I stated earlier, its a 99% virgin install running fast as hell on a GUID partition.

I was having issues booting to my retail 10.5.0 install - I think the kexts I was using were too new (both the ones in archive2.zip and filesv3.zip) and 10.5.0 didn't like them.

Basically I followed LTL's guide up to, but not including, where he talks about installing the kexts. I then opened the OSX 10.5.2 combo update (by double clicking on the desktop - not via terminal) and installed it to the disk where i'd installed retail OSX. Cos your installing to another disk it doesnt require a reboot, nor does it install any startup script so there is no need to follow the widely published hackint0sh 10.5.2 update guide. I then continued to follow the guide by LTL and installed the kexts from the filesv3. Then I rebooted to the disk where i'd installed retail OSX + 10.5.2. I crossed my fingers and it booted up with no problems :D It took me through the regular new mac setup screens. When I checked in 'about this mac' it said I was running 10.5.2. So essentially i'd slipstreamed my install to 10.5.2.

Not had any problems at all, and as I stated earlier, its a 99% virgin install running fast as hell on a GUID partition.

Sounds like I need to do an update to my guide! Am also working on an installer for all the files.. I have most of it together, but have never created an installer before, so need some help!

;)

LTL: Thank you so much for creating this guide ! ;)

Im kinda new to all this, although i've been using (real) macs for like 4 years now.

Last weekend i decided it was time to build a hackintosh, and i ordered some hardware (e8400, ga-p35-ds3p 8GB RAM etc)

The hardware arrived today, so i put everything together :D

Followed your guide, installed kalyway, then retail > update to 10.5.2 .. everything worked flawlessly :D

Still need to fix my gpu/audio, but i doubt its gonna be a problem :D

hey LTL, great guide mate~ thanks a lot, but i have a question, does this vanilla 9.0.2 kernel support HPET? It doesn't show "HPET enabled on your system" with the -v flag, though i know it did with modified kernels like the on in kalyways initial install, any ideas how to enable it? All settings for it are enabled in the BIOS, cheers

Best option I think is to make a .sh script and run it through terminal...or an installer for n00bs would be great

While creating the installer, i somehow messed up my pristine main install... so am hating right now. Going to be sticking to building a script for now... its nearly complete. Testing phase now.

hey LTL, great guide mate~ thanks a lot, but i have a question, does this vanilla 9.0.2 kernel support HPET? It doesn't show "HPET enabled on your system" with the -v flag, though i know it did with modified kernels like the on in kalyways initial install, any ideas how to enable it? All settings for it are enabled in the BIOS, cheers

Thats a very good question!! How do we find that out?

well i guess it enables it.. but just the message isn't visible? No idea, i know the message did show up on modified kernels, just this unmodified one doesn't, i wonder....

I tested the new scripts I posted and I did the full install in about 15 minutes... Partition, PC-EFI script, 10.5.1, update to 10.5.2, and post script. Done...

I am going to clean up the instructions sometime this weekend when I have time. Its so slick now, installs your EFI strings and everything. Give it a shot..

Hey,

You may want to update your guide for this. I followed all your steps but after i'd installed the retail image (10.5.0) I installed the 10.5.2 combo update immediately. I then followed the rest of your guide and applied all the kext files in your filesv3.zip.

When I restarted it worked, no need to follow any guide of installing 10.5.2, it installed fine at 10.5.2. It booted as if I had a new mac - took me through the setup screens :)

It works so much faster than the kalway install I was using and its 99% vanilla install.

Cheers for the excellent guide.

Updated guide... thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering how did you get about this mac to recognize your E8500 chip?

You can just mod your "About this Mac"

This requires a edit of the 'AboutThisMac.strings' file. You can use textedit. Must have hidden files showing, you can do that with onyx. Here's how to edit the file:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

Right click and click "Show Package Contents" on loginwindow.app

To change the CPU Name. It says Core 2 Duo for most of us even though thats not always correct. Heres how to fix that:

Once inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj

You should see a file called "AboutThisMac.strings" inside English.lproj

Drag a copy to your desktop and open it up with TextEdit

Depending on weather you have a single or dual processor, scroll down to one of the following lines of code:

Single CPU here:

"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

For multiple CPU look here:

"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";

Change the %@ to whatever you want your new CPU to be.

Now Replace the loginwindow.app with the version with you edited, repair permissions and you're done. You may need to reboot to see all of the changes.

gonna try your install scripts, just one question:

do I install de combo-update from my working 10.5.1 kalyway partition?

iow, can I select a target disk for de comboupdate?

yes, you do all the work for the Kaly install. You will be able to select target disk using the combo updater

then run your scripts... then boot into the target install

let me know how it goes

For some reason I am not able to get past step three on the Noob guide for osx10.5. When I try to open OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal I get the following: (Open Failed- Could not open "OSInstall.mpkg"). I am opening it from an .iso image that is mounted on my desktop.

Even when I try to open the file from Finder I get the same message. I am able to open the same image on my G4 with no issues but not on my Intel Hackintosh Jas10.4.

Any ideas? Would it be a permission issue? I am working with a freashly installed Jas10.4.

For some reason I am not able to get past step three on the Noob guide for osx10.5. When I try to open OSInstall.mpkg via Terminal I get the following: (Open Failed- Could not open "OSInstall.mpkg"). I am opening it from an .iso image that is mounted on my desktop.

Even when I try to open the file from Finder I get the same message. I am able to open the same image on my G4 with no issues but not on my Intel Hackintosh Jas10.4.

Any ideas? Would it be a permission issue? I am working with a freashly installed Jas10.4.

I have never heard of seen that error. Does your G4 have 10.4 or 10.5 on it? I think that the installer will not open in 10.4 maybe?

yeah i heard the installer will not work on Tiger, you should start it another Leopard installation

Thought that that was it... yea...makes sense

I have to say, the netkas sleep kernel really makes things run nicely...

So, I saw another post concerning audio disappearing after a reboot. I believe he stated that the applehda.kext would not stick after reboot. in order to get sound, the applehda.kext and alcinject.kext would need to be removed, and Taruga v1.20 with correct audio dump would need to be done again.

Anyone hear of this? I am so close to the perfect hackintosh, its not even funny.

So, I saw another post concerning audio disappearing after a reboot. I believe he stated that the applehda.kext would not stick after reboot. in order to get sound, the applehda.kext and alcinject.kext would need to be removed, and Taruga v1.20 with correct audio dump would need to be done again.Anyone hear of this? I am so close to the perfect hackintosh, its not even funny.
My hack is perfect... what are you waiting for :DIn regards to audio... I am using the EFI strings in my guide, stock AppleHDA ... and then the dump I have listed for my motherboard dragged into Targas... both of which are included in my file downloadsI have no issues with sound at all
LTL, do your temperature sensors work ?I tried Temperature Monitor, iStat pro , but the sensors are not detected... it will only show HDD temperatures here.This is on a GA-P35-D3SP.
Thats a good question, no . .. mine are not being read by iStat pro. I do not know why...but I was going to get a probe this coming weekend and just added another fan to my case 10 minutes ago... can you see the pretty red light?!any ideas? I have already tried to read from my VMWARE install but that does not work...
i patched my sound using taruga's 1.20, without removing any kexts, and the sound works perfect
Sounds right!