ZOMG!!! WTF?

Anyone try this out yet?

EDIT:

Seems to be a fake so far...

I think I'd rather wait and find out that it's not either

1) A couple GB worth of 0's

2) An altered/skinned version of Vista full of viruses

3) An altered/skinned version of Vista full of spyware/adware

After all, the supposed "leaked" screen shots don't show much of a difference, so it could easily be 2 or 3.

And besides, if there is a real one, I'd rather wait until enough people get it and I can get a good download speed.

After all, the supposed "leaked" screen shots don't show much of a difference, so it could easily be 2 or 3.
There isn't much of a difference because there simply won't be much of a difference in M1, here's why explained by someone else:

"The thing to remember, however, is that this is the end of M1 (i.e. milestone 1), and there are three milestones. There won’t be any major visual refresh until after M2 (i.e., everything will be implemented with the Vista look-and-feel until after M2). Whatever the new visual look of Win7 will be will be kept under wraps for quite a while. This is no different from Luna for XP and Aero for Vista."

Taken from here, so this is in no way definite but it seems likely and apparently follows how previous versions of Windows development panned out.

And yeah, it seems they're fake, unfortunately.

Yes and no, but mostly yes; so far it's known as MinWin.

A minimalistic variation of the Windows kernel, known as MinWin, is being developed for use in Windows 7. The MinWin development efforts are aimed towards componentizing the Windows kernel and reducing the dependencies with a view to carving out the minimal set of components required to build a self-contained kernel as well as reducing the disk footprint and memory usage.[13] MinWin takes up about 25 MB on disk and has a working set (memory usage) of 40 MB.[14] It lacks a graphical user interface and is interfaced using a full-screen command line interface.[15][14] It includes the I/O and networking subsystems.[13][15] MinWin was first demonstrated on October 13, 2007 by Eric Traut. The demo system included an OS image, made up of about 100 files, on which a basic HTTP server was running.[14][16]

Incidentally, the name MinWin was also used earlier to refer to what is currently known as Server Core in Windows Server 2008.[13][15] However, the two are quite different. While both efforts are to consolidate and componentize the core of Windows, with server core, the functionality of the OS is constrained according to server roles, and unneeded components (which will never be used as the role isn't supported) are removed from the binary image. However, the dependencies still exist in code, and the code cannot compile without the components. In contrast, with MinWin, the dependencies are consolidated into MinWin and what is not needed is removed at the code level itself. As a result, the code compiles even without any extraneous components and builds a stripped-down self-contained OS kernel image.

Eric Traut's demo

Windows 7 previewed with MinWin

"The presentation install of MinWin contained approximately 100 files and was running a simple HTTP server inside a Virtual PC instance. Traut said, "compare that to the normal 5,000". The host OS, which was Microsoft Vista, was able to use Internet Explorer to communicate with the MinWin server. The main page had three links on it and from there Traut could get a file listing, show running processes, and give a summary of how much memory was being used. All told the machine was given 40 MB of memory as a Virtual PC setting, and it had 7 MB free after booting up and hosting the web server.

Perhaps one of the more interesting comments was that Traut said, "It's not as small as I'd like to see it yet," implying that it could be made smaller. In fact, he indicated that a core operating system very similar to this MinWin version, which is currently only used internally within Microsoft, is at the heart of Windows Media Center, server operating systems, even mobile products."

Windows 7 so far is looking good, quite good.

I'm afraid that the amount of posts posted on this forum would decline dramatically if people actually read the other person's posts just above because half of you just repeat other people or ask questions that have already been answered.

I'm afraid that the amount of posts posted on this forum would decline dramatically if people actually read the other person's posts just above because half of you just repeat other people or ask questions that have already been answered.

Post counts. That's all it is robot. And to not contradict myself, I will now say something about the topic.

I wouldn't doubt that it's leaked. But I'm not gonna try it. I personally won't know the difference all that much. Unless it's faster. But if there's like security bumps and things like that, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And I don't understand the new MinWin kernal. Other than I know it's small and I'm guessing they use that to make the OS. I'll just wait 8 years til the 'final' beta comes out and then wait another year and a half til it's finally out. Finally, I'll wait a week til people post serials for it and all that. I'm waiting til M2 is done so I can know what it looks like.

MinWin is just a smaller version of the NT kernel. Since it's small, it naturally uses less RAM and moves more things outside of the kernel so that if something close to the system crashes the system won't come down.

Post counts. That's all it is robot. And to not contradict myself, I will now say something about the topic.

I wouldn't doubt that it's leaked. But I'm not gonna try it. I personally won't know the difference all that much. Unless it's faster. But if there's like security bumps and things like that, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. And I don't understand the new MinWin kernal. Other than I know it's small and I'm guessing they use that to make the OS. I'll just wait 8 years til the 'final' beta comes out and then wait another year and a half til it's finally out. Finally, I'll wait a week til people post serials for it and all that. I'm waiting til M2 is done so I can know what it looks like.

People still care about posts count, what is this, 2004? Maybe someone should post some leet Photoshop tutorialz using Photoshop 6.
Windows 7 is following the same development style as XP and Vista did.
How so?

Right now the "leaks" out there are just fake ISO files.

Most of them are just files containing all 0's if you check them out.

On the other side of this I know for a fact that as of October they were still in the mapping phase and were doing some basic planning with coding to start in January.

I don't think anyone is going to be getting a build anytime soon though.

On the other side of this I know for a fact that as of October they were still in the mapping phase and were doing some basic planning with coding to start in January.

I don't think anyone is going to be getting a build anytime soon though.

Proof?