[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Talisman,

Sorry about asking all the what seems to be Newbie questions.

That DSDT file you posted is basically for the graphics card. I will need NvinjectGO installed or don't install anything and let that installer do its thing?

I don't want nvkush.kext with this installer obviously so I will mv it as nvkush.kext.save and fix permisions I suppose.

Is this DSDT patcher only for the Graphics card to prepare for Snow Leopard or will other hardware need DSDT patching as well to work in SNow Leopard.

I have to read up on the DSDT thing!!

Also what did you install from the Sonotones Post installer? I seems to screw with my system, gives me a nice black screen at login. Right now it working great without any Post Installer? What is that Post installer suppose to fix on the M1530/M1330 that the iATKOS 5i installer is missing out on?

Hi, I've got the m1530 with the gef 8600 256mb card in it, and I've been trying to find info on how to get the video out working. or if it doesnt then I want to know so i can stop searching hehe.

I saw in macgirls awesome compilation theres a link on this subject for the 8400, but that link just loops back to the same page...

Sorry if this has been explained somewhere I missed.

Oh I currently have nvinject drivers installed, and when I plug in a vga cable and detect displays the screen blacks out, or if i boot up with the vga cable in the screen blacks out when it starts loading the os. if thats any help...

Talisman,

Sorry about asking all the what seems to be Newbie questions.

That DSDT file you posted is basically for the graphics card. I will need NvinjectGO installed or don't install anything and let that installer do its thing?

I don't want nvkush.kext with this installer obviously so I will mv it as nvkush.kext.save and fix permisions I suppose.

Is this DSDT patcher only for the Graphics card to prepare for Snow Leopard or will other hardware need DSDT patching as well to work in SNow Leopard.

I have to read up on the DSDT thing!!

Also what did you install from the Sonotones Post installer? I seems to screw with my system, gives me a nice black screen at login. Right now it working great without any Post Installer? What is that Post installer suppose to fix on the M1530/M1330 that the iATKOS 5i installer is missing out on?

Ok.... here it goes....

DSDT patch has nothing to do with the NVinject (and I did not post the dsdt file, it is the NVinstaller v0.52 for the Nvinject). DSDT is a hardware map which will primarily solve two problems, (i) save the system from crashing when updating to 10.5.6 due to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. (ii) Fix some problems with AppleRTC. Therefore, if you don't wish to update to 10.5.6 or wait for an install CD which has all of this then you don't need to get into DSDT patches.

The link in my previous post is for the NVinstaller 0.52 to get the 8600M GT working. I thought you wanted to know how to do this. You will not need the NVkush or any other kexts. After installing NVinject you will need to enable QE/CI/QGL, which you can find here:8600M GT

I used the Iatkos v4i and haven't tested the v5i. I used almost nothing from sonotone's package as I couldn't get much to work from there, so I did everything from scratch (takes more time but I learnt more!!). All I was saying was that I might have got the HDAEnabler.kext from there, when I initially used it. If you want you can open his package with Pacifist and extract the kext and install it with kext Helper .

Hope this helps.

Hi, I've got the m1530 with the gef 8600 256mb card in it, and I've been trying to find info on how to get the video out working. or if it doesnt then I want to know so i can stop searching hehe.

I saw in macgirls awesome compilation theres a link on this subject for the 8400, but that link just loops back to the same page...

Sorry if this has been explained somewhere I missed.

Oh I currently have nvinject drivers installed, and when I plug in a vga cable and detect displays the screen blacks out, or if i boot up with the vga cable in the screen blacks out when it starts loading the os. if thats any help...

I am attaching the modded kext. This it what it does:

1. QE/CI/QGL is fully supported and hardware accelerated in extended mode.

2. In mirror mode, the laptop display shuts off (I can see the mouse pointer only) and I get display on the external monitor only.

3. In mirror mode, QE is not supported in the laptop display, but is supported in the external monitor.

What I changed in this kext is the NVCAP value in NVinject.kext/Contents/Info.plist to : 04000000 00000100 06000000 00000000 00000000

(Chrysaor)

Hope this helps.

NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip

You can use this DSDT for M1530, it is patched with fassl's patcher and some of the changes Superhai made.

M1530_DSDT.aml.zip

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=997924

Anyone tried this new AppleHDA for working internal mic?

I haven't had success with it for internal mic, but it adds auto switching for headphones.

I don't think this will work. The pathmap is not what we have in the M1530. I guess the 1525 either has a different pathmap or a different cardversion. But I will still try it. As I mentioned before, I can get the int mic to be recognized but it cannot get signals.

And I always had autoswitching for headphones with my kext, regardless of the mic. Try this:

AppleHDA with auto Headphone Switching, Mute and Reboot Fixed for M1530

Thanks for the DSDT. I will check it out.....

ques: Is there a way to disable Darwin Bootloader to check if I can boot into mac without a mac bootloader. (GRUB now goes into Darwin where I choose Mac). I know I can put a kernel flag which will point at the mac partition and set the quiet boot optionto yes , but does that mean I am still using the Darwin Bootloader?? In short does setting the yes on Quiet Boot disable the Darwin bootloader or just ignore the messages...??

I don't exactly know what a "Darwin Bootloader" is.

EFI = Netkas EFI emulation

Darwin = MacOS Kernel

This is the chain I use: GRUB -> EFI (v9) -> Darwin

And I just updated PC_EFI_v8 -> v9 to accommodate for 10.5.6. I also generated the patched DSDT.aml and placed it in root.

I noticed that netkas suggests renaming dsdt.aml > DSDT.aml in his november posting, which he doesn't mention in his december posting anymore. Just to be sure I renamed it as well. As others mentioned in the comments to netkas blog: Can't really tell whether works (and picks up DSDT.aml or whether a boot option is required for that), but at least it boots.

I don't exactly know what a "Darwin Bootloader" is.

EFI = Netkas EFI emulation

Darwin = MacOS Kernel

This is the chain I use: GRUB -> EFI (v9) -> Darwin

And I just updated PC_EFI_v8 -> v9 to accommodate for 10.5.6. I also generated the patched DSDT.aml and placed it in root.

I noticed that netkas suggests renaming dsdt.aml > DSDT.aml in his november posting, which he doesn't mention in his december posting anymore. Just to be sure I renamed it as well. As others mentioned in the comments to netkas blog: Can't really tell whether works (and picks up DSDT.aml or whether a boot option is required for that), but at least it boots.

To start with I installed from Iatkos v4i

This is what I have:

1. Hard drive partitioned to: (hd0,1)Vista, (hd0,2) Recovery, (hd0,3)Mac OS X, (hd0,4)/boot [bSD naming scheme]

GRUB is in the /boot partition (Fedora in an extended LVM which does not show up here). I can use either PC_EFI V8 or chainloader +1 to boot into (hd0,3) [i prefer chainloading]

2. When I turn on the machine: It shows the blue GRUB screen with options for each entry in grub.conf. I choose mac

3. It then goes to a black and white screen which says Darwin x86 and on the press of a key gives the list I mentioned above. I choose mac here as /boot is highlighted by default as it is the active partition of the drive.

4. mac boots up.

this is what I call a Darwin Bootloader: (not mine)

pic20fullmu0.th.jpg

Question: Can I keep my setup and still get GRUB to recognize the DSDT.aml when it boot with PC_EFI v9??

Does anyone have Netkas' patched EFI V9. I have downloaded one which he refers to in his blog but in November and I am not sure it is the latest one.

Thanks....

I have not tried it yet. I would say it will work with no problems. WHy would it not work? CLose to 100% of anything USB works in Leopard. I will try it now

I tired it. Works 100%. It is seen as a USB Modem.

WHen I went into preferences and clicked on network it said new device and it loaded it fine.

To start with I installed from Iatkos v4i
You are loading a vanilla kernel I see from your signature.
I can use either PC_EFI V8 or chainloader +1 to boot into (hd0,3) [i prefer chainloading]

There's a difference between chainloading and loading netkas PCEFI.

netkas PCEFI is the 60kb boot file which you load and execute by GRUB. If you do that with the most recent version v9 your boot string of EFI will look a little bit different to what you posted:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.12
Build date: 2008-11-16 17:37:29

If you chainload not your PCEFI file is executed, but the first sector of the (hd0,3) partition and will continue to load some "Bootloader" (I don't know the right Mac OS term for this particular bootloader). This bootloader is contained in (hd0,3) within its first sectors. In your case this bootloader will most likely be different from PCEFI v9. It may look similar, but compare the build date or whether it says "Chameleon v1.0.12".

Question: Can I keep my setup and still get GRUB to recognize the DSDT.aml when it boot with PC_EFI v9??
I think so, but I doubt GRUB has to regonize the DSDT.aml it. It will be the "bootloader" or PCEFI_v9 which will recognize it.

Does anyone have Netkas' patched EFI V9. I have downloaded one which he refers to in his blog but in November and I am not sure it is the latest one.

The one mentioned in november is the latest one and according to the notes it does contain the DSDT.aml functionality:

http://netkas.org/?p=74

What does your bootscreen say when you chainload and when you load by means of PCEFI_v9?

I have the 1530, with a i think ich8 and ultra ata drive, 1505 WLan wireless mini card, core2 duo 2.16ghz. What version would be best for me?

While you definitely need to do some reading you can go with iDeneb, iAtkos 4, iAtkos 5, Kalyway, or retail.

netkas PCEFI is the 60kb boot file which you load and execute by GRUB. If you do that with the most recent version v9 your boot string of EFI will look a little bit different to what you posted:

If you chainload not your PCEFI file is executed, but the first sector of the (hd0,3) partition and will continue to load some "Bootloader" (I don't know the right Mac OS term for this particular bootloader). This bootloader is contained in (hd0,3) within its first sectors. In your case this bootloader will most likely be different from PCEFI v9. It may look similar, but compare the build date or whether it says "Chameleon v1.0.12".

I think so, but I doubt GRUB has to regonize the DSDT.aml it. It will be the "bootloader" or PCEFI_v9 which will recognize it.

The one mentioned in november is the latest one and according to the notes it does contain the DSDT.aml functionality:

He doesn't have Chameleon installed yet...that's what we were discussing a few posts up.

Hey guys, i hope I can put my question in here, because it's a tut-thread...

I need your fast help, I installed Sonotone's Dell Package with the CPUS=1 option and the Sleep enabler, to get sleep and both cores working.

Now, I've got sleep and a 2 Cores, but sound, USB, and the fingerprint reader don't work anymore. 

Here's an extract from "uname -a"

-

Darwin XPS 9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Fri Jul 25 10:00:26 CDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13.obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

-

Can anyone help me?

Thx

Hey guys, i hope I can put my question in here, because it's a tut-thread...

I need your fast help, I installed Sonotone's Dell Package with the CPUS=1 option and the Sleep enabler, to get sleep and both cores working.

Now, I've got sleep and a 2 Cores, but sound, USB, and the fingerprint reader don't work anymore.

First of all the M1530 and M1330 don't have the dual core problems. You don't need CPUS=1 to get both cores working.

Now sound has nothing to do with USB so we'll tackle that later. The fingerprint reader is a USB device so that's why it isn't working. I'm willing to bet that something is wrong with your installation of of EHCISleepEnabler. Run kextstat on the command line and make sure that EHCISleepEnabler is loaded as well as the AppleEHCI kexts. Also check Console to see if EHCISleepEnabler loaded correctly at startup.

I have personally found that Sonotone's Dell Package will incorrectly install EHCISleepEnabler on occasion. Go to http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html and read his installation directions. Ensure the kext is properly installed.

As for sound, also check kextstat to ensure both HDAEnabler and AppleHDA are loaded. If the extensions are installed but not loading, check Console or boot in -v mode to see why. Make sure your extensions directory has the corrent permissions (ie do a permissions repair from Disk Utility).

There are noch EHCI kexts loaded. How can I do this (I'm a noob^^)?

I couldn reinstall EHCISleepEnabler because my Fingerprint reader doesn't work, so I only did these steps:

-

Open Terminal and write "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/EHCISleepEnabler.kext" without the quotes

Enter your admin password

Write "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/EHCISleepEnabler.kext"

Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache"

Write "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

Reboot

-

For sound, only the AppleHDA and the AppleHDAController were loaded at the startup...

I couldn reinstall EHCISleepEnabler because my Fingerprint reader doesn't work, so I only did these steps:

-

Open Terminal and write "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/EHCISleepEnabler.kext" without the quotes

Write "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/EHCISleepEnabler.kext"

Reboot

-

For sound, only the AppleHDA and the AppleHDAController were loaded at the startup...

Do you have HDAEnabler installed? Have you tried sleeping and then waking up and seeing if sound works?

To fix USB the kext AppleUSBEHCI needs to load. It is not loading because EHCISleepEnabler is not loading. First of all ensure that IOUSBFamily.kext exists in /System/Library/Extensions and also ensure that AppleUSBEHCI.kext exists in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. If these do not exist then Sonotone's installer did not move them back. Check in the root of your drive for a directly corresponding to the Dell Post Installer. There will be a backup folder in there. Move the kexts back (you know you can manually type in your password instead of using the fingerprint reader right?). Now, move EHCISleepEnabler.kext into the same directory that AppleUSBEHCI.kext is in (/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/). Make sure that AppleUSBEHCI.kext's Info.plist (which is in AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/) is correctly modified as per Superhai's readme. To do this, drag the Info.plist out onto your desktop, do the edit, then drag it back into the kext. If you do it from the terminal, use a "sudo nano -w Info.plist", do the edit, save and exit. Clear your extensions cache, do a permissions repair, reboot.

You are loading a vanilla kernel I see from your signature.

There's a difference between chainloading and loading netkas PCEFI.

What does your bootscreen say when you chainload and when you load by means of PCEFI_v9?

Yes, I do know the details that you mention:

1. I installed from Iatkos v4i and then updated to Vanilla Kernel 9.5.0

2. Regardless of whether I chainload or PCEFI_V8 I go into the same boot screen which looks like the one in the picture. In the Iatkos V4i DVD it was called the Darwin Bootloader, hence the name.

3. In GRUB I give the following boot command

for PCEFI:

root (hd0,4)

kernel /boot_V8

boot

for Chainloading:

rootnoverify (hd0,3)

chainloader +1

boot

boot_V8 is the PCEFI_V8 file

The big question is will PCEFI_V9 bypass whatever bootloader I have in Mac or will it just pull up the bootloader from the first sector of the Mac partition??

and

Can I delete this bootloader from IATKOS and just use PCEFI from GRUB or at least update it to what is called Chameleon. (Unless I am already using the same unknowingly!!)

Can I delete this bootloader from IATKOS and just use PCEFI from GRUB or at least update it to what is called Chameleon. (Unless I am already using the same unknowingly!!)

ok.... problem solved!!

The PCEFI_V8 that I had in the /boot looked deceptively similar to the bootloader that I had in the first sector of my Mac partition.

Now: I put in PCEFI_V9 in the /boot sector and it is, as 7oby said, giving the Chameleon version and the build date.

I will go ahead and do the DSDT patch sometime.....

Conclusion: Look before you leap, but do leap after you have looked carefully enough....!!

-

Reboot

-

To get USB working you need these kexts loaded:

35   10 0x5aa0f000 0x28000	0x27000	com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.1.5) <7 6 5 4>
 36	0 0x5aa5e000 0xe000	 0xd000	 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.1.5) <35 17 7 6 5 4>
 37	1 0x5ab8f000 0x12000	0x11000	com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.1.5) <35 17 7 6 5 4>
 49	0 0x5b1ea000 0x2000	 0x1000	 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <35 6 5 4>
 54	0 0x5b44f000 0xb000	 0xa000	 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.1.5) <35 6 5 4>
 63	0 0x5b874000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <35 5 4>
 65	0 0x5ba07000 0x7000	 0x6000	 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController (2.1f17) <64 35 12>
 66	1 0x5bab5000 0x5000	 0x4000	 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.1.0) <35 22 6 5 4>

Note: I have a USB mouse plugged in and the Bluetooth running. In addition to all these the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext gets loaded when you plug in a USB storage device. In 10.5.5 it is a separate kext, but earlier, I think, it was a part of the IOUSBFamily.

These are the EHCI kexts that you need:

37	1 0x5ab8f000 0x12000	0x11000	com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.1.5) <35 17 7 6 5 4>
 38	0 0x5abaa000 0x3000	 0x2000	 com.superhai.driver.EHCISleepEnabler (1.0.1b1) <37 35 17 7 6 5 4>

As wingrunr21 said: Go to Superhai's website: http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

Download EHCISleepEnabler and place it in your Extensions folder. chmod and chown and touch or better still just use this app: Kext Helper

Make sure you read the README on that website for EHCISleepEnabler and make the changes that are suggested.

For the fingerprint reader: It should start working as soon as the USB does. If not reinstall the Protector Suite: If you are having trouble with admin work, you can still type in your password when the authentication box comes up, uless you set it to fingerprint only. In that case change it to fingerprint and password.

For the sound: Use this kext. Install and Repair Permission using Disk Utility: AppleHDA_Stac9228_M1530

Hope this helps

And for all who care to know...

The sound stuttering that I had after upgrading to 9.5.0/10.5.5 just went away after I booted with PCEFI_v9!!!

And... Once in Chameleon, it boots into mac directly, regardless of the active partition.... thats exactly what I wanted....

Updated to 10.5.6, working fine but USB ports on the left side stopped working for some reason (right one works fine).

Anyone else got this?

Hmm, have you tried restoring the EHCI kext from 10.5.5? I glanced at the change log and didn't see anything that would effect USB unless it could be caused by the DSDT patch.

<br />Do you have HDAEnabler installed? Have you tried sleeping and then waking up and seeing if sound works?<br /><br />To fix USB the kext AppleUSBEHCI needs to load. It is not loading because EHCISleepEnabler is not loading. First of all ensure that IOUSBFamily.kext exists in /System/Library/Extensions and also ensure that AppleUSBEHCI.kext exists in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. If these do not exist then Sonotone's installer did not move them back. Check in the root of your drive for a directly corresponding to the Dell Post Installer. There will be a backup folder in there. Move the kexts back (you know you can manually type in your password instead of using the fingerprint reader right?). Now, move EHCISleepEnabler.kext into the same directory that AppleUSBEHCI.kext is in (/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/). Make sure that AppleUSBEHCI.kext's Info.plist (which is in AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/) is correctly modified as per Superhai's <a href="http://www.superhai.com/EHCISleepEnabler.readme.html" target="_blank">readme</a>. To do this, drag the Info.plist out onto your desktop, do the edit, then drag it back into the kext. If you do it from the terminal, use a "sudo nano -w Info.plist", do the edit, save and exit. Clear your extensions cache, do a permissions repair, reboot.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

well, Wingrunr21, now I've got USB working.

Now, I lost my 2 Fingers scrolling functionality. Anyway the sound is not working.

I think it's because I don't have the AppleUSBEHCI.kext in my IOUSBFamily.kext plugins folder.

Thanks for all your help so long (: