[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I did a reply only to this post and I did not seem post even they it was successful when I clicked on reply.

Anyhow with what you mentioned about SATA with AHCI.

CAn I choose both with and without since my D820 does not have SATA? Only the D*30 and M1530 has it?

You also mentioned to me about DSDT. IS that just for the the M1530 because you did not mention it to the last person asking about which options to choose.

One more thing there is a Sleep/Restart fix on SuperHai's site. You have to paste some script into the EHCI... kext forgot which one.

I thought the NVInject was not working in 10.5.5 or is that only the Case for the Dell Latitude D820/D830 using the NV Go cards? SO NVinject works on the M1330/M1530 Laptops?

WHat options did you choosein Sonotones Post installer?

Thanks again

PS

That ADD REPLY tp this post feature is not working is it? I have used that about 5 times in the last month and I never see my post after clicking Add Reply.

d94: Yes

I thought NVINject was not working in 10.5.5 yet? I chose NVKush. I know the NVInject Mobile for my other two laptops the D820/D830 does not work unless NVINject was updated recently? Maybe NVInject works on the 1330/1530 Laptops?

DO you still have to apply the fix on SuperHai's site? SOme script you have to add to the EHCI to stop sleep from restarting the Laptop?

Last Question. Can I choose both SATA with AHCI and the Option without? Reason is, the D820 does not have SATA and the D830/M1530 does. CAn I choose both options?

Does SOnotone have a post installer for the M1530, D820 and D830?

What does his post installer do? Which Kexts does it update?

Also you mentioned to me about the DSDT Patcher? You don't need that in the M1330 only in the M1530?

NVInject does work. I'm using it now.

Yes you still must apply EHCISleepEnabler. Thanks for reminding me of that I had forgotten. So newtoOSX86 you will need that kext as well.

Yes you can choose both. I don't see a problem.

Yes Sonotone's installer is for all Dells. It updates whatever kexts you choose in it. See his thread for more info (link on first page of this thread).

DSDT Patcher is needed for the 10.5.6 update that is upcoming. Superhai created a DSDT that is already patched for the 1330. It's somewhere in the past few pages (one or two pages ago I made a post with a bunch of links to things like this. You can find it there.)

macgirl, if you are not going to update the first page then I think I'm going to create a new thread. Since this one is rather long and people are having trouble finding the correct information easily it seems like a better option. Let me know if you object.

d94: Yes

NVInject does work. I'm using it now.

Yes you still must apply EHCISleepEnabler. Thanks for reminding me of that I had forgotten. So newtoOSX86 you will need that kext as well.

Yes you can choose both. I don't see a problem.

Yes Sonotone's installer is for all Dells. It updates whatever kexts you choose in it. See his thread for more info (link on first page of this thread).

DSDT Patcher is needed for the 10.5.6 update that is upcoming. Superhai created a DSDT that is already patched for the 1330. It's somewhere in the past few pages (one or two pages ago I made a post with a bunch of links to things like this. You can find it there.)

macgirl, if you are not going to update the first page then I think I'm going to create a new thread. Since this one is rather long and people are having trouble finding the correct information easily it seems like a better option. Let me know if you object.

thanks! i think you should. Honestly, iv been trying to get osx running on my m1330 for the past year, last time i gave up but i started again about two weeks ago and just last knight i was finally able to get it working..should be simpler i know and even though i have great knowledge about hardware and software, to get osx working right is tricky

few more Q's for ya if you wouldnt mind answering them..lol

1. at the moment there is no way to get restart/shutdown working?

2. if i used the post installer dell package to update my kernal to dual core would that effect its upgradeability

3. Can i clean up my dual boot?

I am going to update, I have a lot of work right now, but I will be on vacation from 20th thru Jan 5th so I will have the time to do a lot of my pending duties here.

My method is no standard, because I didn't use iATKOS or Kalyway or other.

I use a real Mac, install with the retail DVD, then update to the latest with combo update, after that I put the required kexts needed to boot on the XPS then install Chameleon to make it bootable on PCs.

It is faster than install on the XPS directly.

I even made an usb disk install which I use for other firends, I just change the kexts for each model and copy the whole partition.

These are the kext I use:

post-123-1226884107_thumb.png

Probably AppleDecrypt instead of dsmos

Can you please give me the links where to get those extension? because I want to have the same as you.

Ok... trying to do DSDT patch for M1530.... have the files, read the README..... but have questions...

1. Is it necessary to have the Chameleon Bootloader or will any other bootloader do??

why??.... because I have the Grub bootloader (in /boot on an extended Linux partition different from the Mac OS X partition) which chainloads into the Darwin Bootloader which loads Mac OS X...

2. Has anyone tried the DSDT patcher in an M1530 and would like to share some pearls of wisdom with me before I junk my Mac distro or worse brick my tin-can in an attempt to patch the DSDT....

As always, thanks folks.....

I am going to update, I have a lot of work right now, but I will be on vacation from 20th thru Jan 5th so I will have the time to do a lot of my pending duties here.

Ok sounds good.

1. Is it necessary to have the Chameleon Bootloader or will any other bootloader do??

why??.... because I have the Grub bootloader (in /boot on an extended Linux partition different from the Mac OS X partition) which chainloads into the Darwin Bootloader which loads Mac OS X...

2. Has anyone tried the DSDT patcher in an M1530 and would like to share some pearls of wisdom with me before I junk my Mac distro or worse brick my tin-can in an attempt to patch the DSDT....

You need to have a patched Chameleon in order to load the DSDT file. You could always just use Grub to load the partition with Chameleon installed on it.

I can't answer for #2 sorry.

Someone... has already checked this?....

http://store.psystar.com/opensource/openhaltrestart

Doesn't work on our machines.

And you don't have to modify your install per se you just need to have PC EFI v9 and a patched DSDT created before updating. That /Extras part isn't even necessary (I don't run my system that way. All I have to do post updates is move the correct AppleHDA back to get sound and I'm good to go).

DO I need this in the files to grab if I did not choose any ACPI in the iATKOS 5i Installer?

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext.zip

Do I still need the HDAEnabler with the APpleHDA file provided at the beginning of the post?

I leave Speedstep blank correct on the iATKOS 5i installer?

Do not tick OHR? What takes the place of OHR and speedstep? Superhai's GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext?

I chose Graphics Update besides nvkush and no strings is that ok?

I am getting crash reporter and I beleive it happened after SONOTONES Post Installer.

I don't believe its from SuperHai's GenericCPUPowerManagement. I moved it to kext.save to see if that is what is causing it.

Basically all I chose in the SOnotones Post installer was I Ticked the M1530 only one option. I think the Post installer messed up my system?

Remember now I have the 2.6 Processor 45 nm so not sure if this GenericCPUPowerManagement by SuperHai will work on that Processor or not?

Could NVKush from iATKOS 5i and Sonotones Post installer cause the black screen?

I am installing iATKOS again on Parttition 2 just to play around to see what is causing this Black screen. I saw this before to after a Post installer and or installing a speedstep kext from either iTAKOS 5i or iDENEB v1.3 10.5.5.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

EDITED:

Just want to mention that NVInject does not work as I said before in 10.5.5. CI=Software QE=not supported/

nvkush CI=Hardware Accelerated QE Supported

I can answer only this one....

GPCM works with all new Intel CPUs. In fact I would recommend GPCM for these C2Ds. (The 45 nm is just the die architecture, so it means that you have the same processor on a smaller piece of silicon since the size of the active elements is smaller.)

Remember now I have the 2.6 Processor 45 nm so not sure if this GenericCPUPowerManagement by SuperHai will work on that Processor or not?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

You need to have a patched Chameleon in order to load the DSDT file. You could always just use Grub to load the partition with Chameleon installed on it.

Thanks wingrunr21.... just to clarify this...

1. Chameleon will replace the Darwin Bootloader.

2. I can install the Chameleon Bootloader without having to reinstall Mac OS X. (Has someone written a documentation for any system where it has worked??)

SO I don't need to choose OHR and Speestep options from the iATKOS 5i installer? The GPCM does what both the speedstep and OHR kexts do?

I have a M1530 and don't use the OHR. I just use the GCPM. I am not sure, but I think the OHR does not work on an XPS M*

Thanks wingrunr21.... just to clarify this...

1. Chameleon will replace the Darwin Bootloader.

2. I can install the Chameleon Bootloader without having to reinstall Mac OS X. (Has someone written a documentation for any system where it has worked??)

Yes. The Chameleon installer will work fine for it. Then you need to go to netkas.org and download his updated bootloader. This will download a file called "boot". You need to replace the "boot" file at the root of your hard drive with the one downloaded from netkas.org. For the Chameleon installer you need to go to chameleon dot osx86 dot hu.

talisman,

Did you have to install the HDAEnabler.kext along with a file you are sharing a few posts up, the AppleHDA.kext.

Yes, unless you use EFI strings for your Audio (if you don't know what those are then you don't use them) then you will need HDAEnabler along with the modified AppleHDA.

wingrunr21,

Thanks for the reply. COuld you answer some of those other questions I had a couple posts up. About the"

"DO I need this in the files to grab if I did not choose any ACPI in the iATKOS 5i Installer?

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext.zip "7

And the OHR and speedstep optons in th iATKOS installer.

I think I am staying away from Sonotones post installer it causing a black screen after. maybe because I am not using nvinject and EFI strings?

"DO I need this in the files to grab if I did not choose any ACPI in the iATKOS 5i Installer?

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext.zip "7

And the OHR and speedstep optons in th iATKOS installer.

I think I am staying away from Sonotones post installer it causing a black screen after. maybe because I am not using nvinject and EFI strings?

For the XPS 1330 no, I don't know about the other two Dells.

As for Sonotone's installer, try the nvinject here on your XPS 1330.

Also for your XPS 1330 here is Superhai's DSDT.aml for the XPS 1330.

talisman,

Did you have to install the HDAEnabler.kext along with a file you are sharing a few posts up, the AppleHDA.kext.

I do have the HDAEnabler.kext in my extensions folder but I did not install it myself. I think it came from Sonotone's package when I installed AppleHDA from it initially.

Yes. The Chameleon installer will work fine for it. Then you need to go to netkas.org and download his updated bootloader. This will download a file called "boot". You need to replace the "boot" file at the root of your hard drive with the one downloaded from netkas.org. For the Chameleon installer you need to go to chameleon dot osx86 dot hu.

Seems pretty straight forward. However, there remains two more concerns,

1. There is no file called "boot" in the / folder in my Mac. I hope I understood you right.

2. Is there a way to not use any bootloader but still be able to use the DSDT file. Ideally I would like to disable any Mac bootloaders and just use GRUB. GRUB can use a PC_EFI V8 file to boot mac. I do not know if there exists a V9 version for it.

ps. Both me and oSxFr33k have M1530.

Seems pretty straight forward. However, there remains two more concerns,

1. There is no file called "boot" in the / folder in my Mac. I hope I understood you right.

2. Is there a way to not use any bootloader but still be able to use the DSDT file. Ideally I would like to disable any Mac bootloaders and just use GRUB. GRUB can use a PC_EFI V8 file to boot mac. I do not know if there exists a V9 version for it.

ps. Both me and oSxFr33k have M1530.

The boot file will be there after you install Chameleon. It is required by Chameleon. As for grub, netkas seems to think that if you just replace the boot file in your grub folder with his new one you should be able to boot using that boot file with the patched DSDT. See: http://netkas.org/?p=78#comments

I thought someone recently had a 1330. Whatever. People are starting to blend together...

The boot file will be there after you install Chameleon. It is required by Chameleon. As for grub, netkas seems to think that if you just replace the boot file in your grub folder with his new one you should be able to boot using that boot file with the patched DSDT. See: http://netkas.org/?p=78#comments

I thought someone recently had a 1330. Whatever. People are starting to blend together...

Thanks a heap.....

So this is what I am going to do.

1. get the boot file and place a copy in the /boot (active partition) of my hard drive. I know how to do this because I used PC_EFI V8 before to boot from GRUB.

2. I apply the DSDT patch and get the DSDT table.

Things should look good after this.

ques: Is there a way to disable Darwin Bootloader to check if I can boot into mac without a mac bootloader. (GRUB now goes into Darwin where I choose Mac). I know I can put a kernel flag which will point at the mac partition and set the quiet boot optionto yes , but does that mean I am still using the Darwin Bootloader?? In short does setting the yes on Quiet Boot disable the Darwin bootloader or just ignore the messages...??