iPod Touch Owners Protest $20 Upgrade

Hikari

What do you think about Apple screwing over Early Adopters?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you shelling out $20 for the January update your iPod touch?

• Yes
    • No, and I'm outraged at this decision because iPhone, ATV and new iPod Touchs gets the updates for free
    • No, and I'm going to jailbreak in order to get the apps

20 posts in this topic

When Steve Jobs announced five new apps for the iPod Touch yesterday, people were ecstatic -- for about ten seconds. Once he mentioned the upgrade would cost current iPod touch owners $20 (they're included on all new units), most of the comments from participants following the keynote in TUAW's IRC channel were largely unprintable.

Apple's customers aren't usually the sort to take things lying down, however, so now there's an online petition calling on Apple to make the apps free to current customers. As I write this, there are close to 600 signatures and climbing.

It's worth noting that Michael Rose and John Gruber pondered the possibility of iPod touch updates and user costs back in October 2007, as Apple's quarterly earnings report indicated that the iPhone's subscription accounting model was not being used for the touch. At the time it wasn't clear what would happen when functional updates to the iPod touch were released; now we know that they come with a price tag.

Source: TUAW

iPod Touch Jailbreak Instructions - Unlocks iPhone apps as well

Whatever... I paid for it and stopped hacking the iPod.

Third party apps will be with us shortly, and I had mainly hacked it for the iPhone apps anyways, so what's another twenty bucks? I'd rather be legal...

I think it wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't have put the apps on newly bought iPods. Someone explain that to me, please...really. I bought mine a month ago and I have less right to a software update then the guy who bought it yesterday?

Can you say 'ridiculous?'

I think it wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't have put the apps on newly bought iPods. Someone explain that to me, please...really. I bought mine a month ago and I have less right to a software update then the guy who bought it yesterday?

Can you say 'ridiculous?'

I'm in the same boat man :)

$20 isn't much. Less than £10 actually. But that's an extra £10 I would have to pay, which late purchasers don't. Either we should both pay the $20 or it should be free for both. I could maybe understand if it was being FedEx'd personally but it isn't.

I doesn't seem right to make people who go and buy apple products relatively early (apple fans basically) constantly pay more than the ones who decide they might as well give it a go (window shoppers).

And yeah Prawker, brilliant comment.

20 bucks is a lot. It would definitely dictate what I eat for a week atleast, or what groceries I get. Its pretty ridiculous when you think about what that 20 bucks is actually getting you. A mail app, really crappy notes widget, and google maps? Isnt that kind of stuff usually FREEWARE? Apple must be really arrogant if they think they can charge early adopters for something that new buyers are getting for free at the same price, especially for {censored} that is no where close to being worth $20.

When it comes to electronics, you always pay more when you're an early adopter. Did Apple really need to charge for a simple software update? Probably not, those apps should have been included in the first place. But when you're one of the first to get a product, you have to realize that you're going to pay more than someone who gets it in a few months.

I'm signature number 7403. I have all these apps through jailbreak, and then Apple wants me to pay $20 to get apps I already have: a touch decision :(

Very original...

I certainly wouldn't pay it.. i think its a rip off... on an iPod your not really gonna fully use those apps, better to spend it on Wii Points and have a chat with Link about how much your outraged...:D

QUOTE(rollcage @ Jan 18 2008, 08:38 PM)

When it comes to electronics, you always pay more when you're an early adopter.

(Maxintosh @ Jan 18 2008, 11:18 PM)

Exactly! It comes with the territory. Get used to it people

Just look at the old intel 17" iMac's compared to now... we get a 3" extra:P

Think Mark

I paid it reluctantly. Got the iPod Touch for Christmas, not even a month old yet! As a two year old switcher and something of an apple convert from the dark side, this was the first time I've found maggots in my fruit from the Orchard. Then to make matters worse I think, oh well, the Apple TV will be cheaper and better when I eventually save up for it. Not this side of the pond! No price cut here. Why is that? We already pay a premium here for all this stuff. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds!

i grudgingly brought the apps for my iPod £12.99 so thats actually $25.3 (so what you Americans moaning at - we pay way more than you for anything from apple :) well anyone to be honest with you)

the only reason i did it was i wanted the mail app but i din't want to jailbreak etc.