P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Hi alll. the link for KEXTS PACK INSTALLER is not working. can someone please update the link or provide a new one. BTW. I made sure that I was logged in before clicking the link but it always kicks me to the front page of insanelymac website :(

Thanks

In theory it should load IDE devices, but some old IDE do not work, so try getting a S-ATA device instead, or borrow one for the intallation.

The problem was really the IDE device. I got a S-ATA DVD and everything went smooth.

Up and running MAC OS 10.5.6 on P5K-SE

Thanks!!!

I have a P5K-Pro with an Intel E8500, and 4 gigs of ram, and an EVGA 8800GT 512.

So far I have been able to follow Jimmy's directions and get a bootable drive with the sound

working (ACL883). I have not yet tried the LAN (88E8056) fix from the FAQ yet because My

Raidmax Smilodon case has not come in yet, so everything was bare board and power

supply on my kitchen table, and my cable modem is at the other end of the house.

My current issue is my 8800GT card. I chose the 8800GT 512 in the Universal Installer,

but the apple system profiler does not see but 32 megs of ram, and I get no Quartz

Extreme. and when I have a long text box where I have to scroll, the center text

stays still, and I get like one line of scrolling at the very bottom, and also I get really

bad artificing when I move a window on he desktop.

The has any one else had this issue, I sure could use some help

Thanks

Chuck E.

hi, first, be sure you don´t have any injector installed, then, clean your com.apple.boot.plist, then run universal installer again, choose custom nvidia, and give the values for your vga

I have a P5K-Pro with an Intel E8500, and 4 gigs of ram, and an EVGA 8800GT 512.

So far I have been able to follow Jimmy's directions and get a bootable drive with the sound

working (ACL883). I have not yet tried the LAN (88E8056) fix from the FAQ yet because My

Raidmax Smilodon case has not come in yet, so everything was bare board and power

supply on my kitchen table, and my cable modem is at the other end of the house.

My current issue is my 8800GT card. I chose the 8800GT 512 in the Universal Installer,

but the apple system profiler does not see but 32 megs of ram, and I get no Quartz

Extreme. and when I have a long text box where I have to scroll, the center text

stays still, and I get like one line of scrolling at the very bottom, and also I get really

bad artificing when I move a window on he desktop.

The has any one else had this issue, I sure could use some help

Thanks

Chuck E.

Fixed, try again! ;)

Hi alll. the link for KEXTS PACK INSTALLER is not working. can someone please update the link or provide a new one. BTW. I made sure that I was logged in before clicking the link but it always kicks me to the front page of insanelymac website :(

Thanks

Well, I have noticed p5k-se epu have some issues once in a while...

for vga, use the "custom nvidia" option, don´t worry about ahci, it is default..

Did you overclock your system, set the memory option to auto... other than that probably your DVD burner must have some issues...

Try the settings..

Hello Jimmy,

I just build a hackintosh for a friend and when burn DVDs with TOAST 9 or 10 at 10% got Kernel Panic, with Sympleburn didn't start to burn... his hardware:

MOBO: P5K-SE/EPU

CPU: Intel Q9400 2.66 Ghz

RAM: 8 GB @ 800 MHz Ozc

HDD: WD 320 GB SATA II x 3

VIDEO: nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB (EFI STRING AS 8600GTS as 8600GT DIDN'T WORK)

LG DVD RECORDED SATA (Works fine at Vista 64 bit)

WiFi USB EDIMAX

I did install the Retail version 10.5.4 then Combo Update 10.5.6 with boot, kexts & com.boot.plist at EFI Partition.

I just remember that in Bios I can's set-up Sata as AHCI, maybe this can be the problem??

Please I need your help!

Thanks!!

Roy

Thanks for the quick Reply Jimmy,

I have a several questions,

How do I "Clean" the "com.apple.boot.plist" ?

I understand running the Universal installer and choosing the "Custom nvidia" from the

bottom of the list, but what sort of values am I going to need to enter, and where would I

find them, and will the Universal Installer ask for these, or are they edited into a file somewhere?

Also when running the Universal Installer is the "Apply Kext Package" Option supposed to be

selected?

Currently I have all of the parts for the computer disassembled, as I am waiting for the case

to come in on friday, and I don't want my 3 cats to decide the parts on the table would be fun to

play with. So I just want to get everything I need to do on paper, so I'll be able to get up and running

as soon as I install all of the parts in the case.

This all reminds me of the first time I installed Linux on a computer, or writing Mountlist's for my

old Amiga.

Thanks for all the help, and for the excellent tutorial.

Chuck E.

hi, first, be sure you don´t have any injector installed, then, clean your com.apple.boot.plist, then run universal installer again, choose custom nvidia, and give the values for your vga

Fixed, try again! :(

Well, I have noticed p5k-se epu have some issues once in a while...

for vga, use the "custom nvidia" option, don´t worry about ahci, it is default..

Did you overclock your system, set the memory option to auto... other than that probably your DVD burner must have some issues...

Try the settings..

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply. I have not over clocked, but I have fixed replacing the whole kext with yours from your package + SMBIOSEnabler.kext to can display the "Hardware information"

Cheers,

Roy

Hello guys,

I didn't find a torrent with the install dvd in torrentflush.

The only one I've found was iDeneb_OS_X_10.5.4_AMD.Intel_(SSE2-SSE3)_install_DVD.

Should it work?

thanks in advance,

andre

Try piratebay...

Well, open the terminal

then in order to clean your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

type

" sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist "

edit untill you have something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to cut the lines use "control + k"

save and close the file (control + o / control + x)

add a custom nvidia efi string, using universall installer

reboot, and test!

Hi Jimmy,

I am currently on Kalyway 10.5.3. I recently bought the retail OSX 10.5.4, reading through your tutorial, I am thinking of doing a fresh install with the retail DVD. If so can I follow the same steps that you've listed? Or do I need do some thing more?

One more question, after installing, can I upgrade to 10.5.6 through Software Update?

Much appreciate your help

Thanks

Stevens

My Configuration:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo 3.17GHz,

Mother board: P5K-VM

Ram: Kingston 4GB

Graphics: On board

Sound: On board

HDD: 500GB

Jimmy,

Thanks for the info, I've got the graphics card going, and my ethernet (I'm Typing this on my

hackintosh now!)

Everything seems to be going well. except I can't seem to get Mac OS to see my

IDE Drives. I am coming from an old G4 Power Mac, and I would like to move my

music and video files over from the G4 to the hackintosh. Do you have any idea why

I can't get my IDE drives to recognize? The P5K Pro BIOS sees the drives, but

Mac OS does not, including the drive utility.

I'm editing this post about 10hrs after I posted it, to let you know tha while i'd like to

know why the IDE will not work, the issue is probably a moot one. I connected the

old G4 and My hackintosh via my home network, and was able to copy all of the stuff

off my G4. I was even able to use the "Migration Assistant" to copy my user account and

settings from my G4 to the Hackintosh.

I was then able to use the the "Software Update" utility to update the OS 'till it shows no

further updates are available.

Thanks you very much for all of the assistance and your Tutorial.

Chuck E.

Well, open the terminal

then in order to clean your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

type

" sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist "

edit untill you have something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

</dict>

</plist>

to cut the lines use "control + k"

save and close the file (control + o / control + x)

add a custom nvidia efi string, using universall installer

reboot, and test!

What is your IDE controller? Perhaps you are not using the right kext.

Jimmy,

Thanks for the info, I've got the graphics card going, and my ethernet (I'm Typing this on my

hackintosh now!)

Everything seems to be going well. except I can't seem to get Mac OS to see my

IDE Drives. I am coming from an old G4 Power Mac, and I would like to move my

music and video files over from the G4 to the hackintosh. Do you have any idea why

I can't get my IDE drives to recognize? The P5K Pro BIOS sees the drives, but

Mac OS does not, including the drive utility.

I'm editing this post about 10hrs after I posted it, to let you know tha while i'd like to

know why the IDE will not work, the issue is probably a moot one. I connected the

old G4 and My hackintosh via my home network, and was able to copy all of the stuff

off my G4. I was even able to use the "Migration Assistant" to copy my user account and

settings from my G4 to the Hackintosh.

I was then able to use the the "Software Update" utility to update the OS 'till it shows no

further updates are available.

Thanks you very much for all of the assistance and your Tutorial.

Chuck E.

According to the manual that came with my P5K Pro, the onboard IDE is a

Marvell 88SE6102

I think this may be the fix:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128985

it is a replacement for the IOATAFamily.kext

I have not tried it yet, I'll have to Unship the drives out of the G4 again.

Thanks

Chuck E.

Hi all!

I installed this fix before christmas, and its working fine here... really love it..

And i just bought a macbook, so im considering to make my stationary computer into a NAS linux fileserver.. =)

Man.. i love unix now.. =P

Many users thinks that a mac is very overpriced, but i see it this way:

1. Its adapted for their computers, not 10 000 pc parts. more satable releases.

2. Design and taste...

3. A macbook costs around 1000 dollars, the "overpriced" money pays the OS. But the os only costs around 100 Dollars. so it depends what you think its worth...

I think its totaly worth it now after buying one myself... =)

*cough* screw *cough* Windows *cough*

Thanks for all help here!

Ok, I installed the IOATAFamily.kext, from the the thread link in my previous post, and my IDE

drive appeared. System profiler Still says no ATA devices, but the Disk Utility shows the

device as a SATA drive.

Also I had the Jumping cursor issue, that appears to have something to do with a conflict

with nVidia card users, and some Apple DRM software. The solution was to remove the

following: AppleUpstreamuserclient.kext, and reboot. After the reboot, the mouse was tracking

perfectly. I found that fix here: http://######.com/weaksauce12/?p=841

Thanks

Chuck England

Good it worked there, I´ll add that answer to the FAQ. Happy Hacking!

Ok, I installed the IOATAFamily.kext, from the the thread link in my previous post, and my IDE

drive appeared. System profiler Still says no ATA devices, but the Disk Utility shows the

device as a SATA drive.

Also I had the Jumping cursor issue, that appears to have something to do with a conflict

with nVidia card users, and some Apple DRM software. The solution was to remove the

following: AppleUpstreamuserclient.kext, and reboot. After the reboot, the mouse was tracking

perfectly. I found that fix here: http://######.com/weaksauce12/?p=841

Thanks

Chuck England

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I've been running Kalyway 10.5.2 since it was released, and havent thought twice about upgrading since. I was completely satisfied, although there were some issues that would have been nice to have fixed, but {censored} man, it didn't really matter.

Anyways, read this thread when trying to upgrade to iPC, and failed. I did everything you said (not very hard), and had a completely successfull installation. I've gone through and upgraded all software including the OS itself. My networking, sound, video, etc work flawlessly. I have not had any kernel panics even when running some off the wall virtualization.

Just wanted to say big ups for this, my computer feels so {censored} clean right now and its some of the pimpest {censored} I've ever run. Thanks a million man.

Hi Jimmy,

First, thanks for the effort to create this guide.

I just try to install w ur guide on hand.

Everything works fine, until I install the ur pkg. I restart the computer, trying to boot from hd, then error occur:

boot0: GPT

boot0: HFS+

boot0: booting

boot0: done

boot1: error

Before install, I just create 1 partition, format it to HSF journalled format, GUID.

I guess, the problem is related to the boot settings in the bootloader. (wrong disk no. /wrong partition no.)

I have 1 SATA DVDRW and 1 IDE HD in the system.

Do you have a solution for this error? Or, how can I get more information to check with?

Now, I can only boot into OSX using the P5K boot CD...

Hi Jimmy,

Everything works fine, until I install the ur pkg. I restart the computer, trying to boot from hd, then error occur:

Before install, I just create 1 partition, format it to HSF journalled format, GUID.

I guess, the problem is related to the boot settings in the bootloader. (wrong disk no. /wrong partition no.)

Do you have a solution for this error? Or, how can I get more information to check with?

Hi. This happened to me when I chose to partition and format my HD using HFS+ extended, journaled, case-sensitive, GUID. The system gives the above error and won't boot using the HD, but it can with the P5K boot CD. Repartitioning and reformatting without the case-sensitive option solved it.

HTH.

Hi. This happened to me when I chose to partition and format my HD using HFS+ extended, journaled, case-sensitive, GUID. The system gives the above error and won't boot using the HD, but it can with the P5K boot CD. Repartitioning and reformatting without the case-sensitive option solved it.

HTH.

I already format the IDE drive using HFS+ journaled only (without case-sensitive) since the first install, but still get the error.

I suspect that may be the cause is the IDE drive. I am going to use a SATA drive to install again.

What is your hardware configuration?

Hi Jimmy,

What is your hardware configuration?

P5K-SE

SUPER-TALENT DDR2 667 1G X2

MAXTOR 20G IDE HD

LITON SATA DVDRW

XFX 9400GT 512M

Hi man.

After i looked your post I purchased a P5K Premium.

All instalation steps works fine.

My system now is running vanilla and it's rock stable 3 days.

Thanks very much your work and attention to post your results.

Best Regards...

Hi everyone!

Ive installed OSX 10.5.6 Retail onto my Inspiron 1520, however when I start leopard it goes into this "wizard" which tells me "Mac cannot detect a keyboard/keypad, please plug it in", I can't get pass this screen and go into leopard/finder to install/change files!!!

Please, Please help me, How do I install this kext when I cannot access files?!