P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Cave Man, I need a tester for a new P5KFamily.iso would you kindly test it for me! :)

This is supposed to solve booting problems that you have poste before!

Thanks!

P5KFamily.iso

BOOT NORMALY

THEN PRESS " F8 " (OTHERWISE IT WILL LOOP ENDLESSLY)

THEN PRESS " ESC " AND SWAP THE DVD/CD OR TYPE YOUR HD NUMBER

THEN PRESS " ENTER " (I am sure you know that, but just in case :D )

I'm out of blank CDs at the moment (that hasn't happened for a couple of years!) I'll pick up more this weekend and give it a try. Do I burn the P5KFamily disc image, or the initrd image that's inside the P5KFamily image to the CD?

Cave Man, I need a tester for a new P5KFamily.iso would you kindly test it for me! :)

Thanks!

BOOT NORMALY

THEN PRESS " ENTER " (I am sure you know that, but just in case :D )

Ended up using the P5KFamily iso. Using that ISO, I followed your instructions exactly and everything worked with a few exceptions:

Cannot use my ps/2 microsoft natural keyboard. Found some threads suggesting some possible fixes but none of them worked for me. No big deal, I've connected a USB keyboard for now and will likely dig into the PS/2 issue later.

Sleep does not work for me. Once asleep, the mac never wakes up and I have to hit the reset button. For now I've disabled sleep but it would be nice to conserve a little electricity. Any suggestions appreciated.

By the way Jimmy, thanks for this post. Really made my life easy.

Hi, do as Caveman says, That should do for your system

I have figured out what the problem is

Well if your have the hardware ID of the sata controler ICH9R/DO/DH (8086:2922), same as caveman´s mobo, I have experienced the same CRC error when booting on a notebook with a 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller, the sollution would be to use an old EFI boot loader to boot the system, that is why galaxy´s iso works for you

As the P5kFamily is using the original boot from boot123 project, it may not work for you, but it has worked for other p5k deluxe/wifi app users. I guess their mobo´s ID were different...

EHCI enabled and device configured as IDE is the ideal, it should be the standard configuration.

Burn the iso, try a DVD-RW (much more economic)

Good it worked there, did you try the new iso?

Sleep is a problem, I do not use it, but IF YOU WANT SLEEP TO WORK, TRY THIS SOLUTION (link)

Yep, did the trick. Found that my firewire isn't working. I have an external drive which I've been using for my backups and I'd like to get that working. Found some posts that talk about removing or disabling the AppleHPET kext but those all seem to be for 10.5.4 and I'm running 10.5.6. Little wary of applying modifications intended for different versions of the OS.

Anyone had any luck with Firewire and 10.5.6?

Jimmy,

For your sake as well as the sake of these forums I highly recommend you remove the direct link to the torrent file for retail OS X 10.5.6. If the wrong person stumbled onto that it could be bad for everyone involved. It would probably be better to tell people where to search instead.

Also, if you could include the instructions for using the ComboUpdate again it would be appreciated as I only have the original Leopard Install DVD and not a burned one with the updates already applied. I need to make sure I don't forget something while installing here in the next few minutes.

Is the DSDT patcher still necessary if I'm not using the 10.5.6 install DVD? If so could you provide the link again?

I used the DSDT patcher anyway. I'm typing from within OS X right now, yay!

Now the last thing I want to do is change the orange hard drives. Other than that it looks like I have a fully functional Vanilla install. This is just wonderful!

Thanks again, the new P5KFamily.iso worked for me this time!

Well, I didn´t notice the link was there, It was supposed to link to the site, option + c / option + v sometimes lead to this, ;)

If you want the combo update version, just install it before running Universal Installer.

And DSDT patch is not necessary! Tested and re-tested.

Just for the record, I am getting a more stable system now, don´t know why exactly, maybe some files are not updated....

I have updated the P5KFamily.iso so that problems were avoided... Took some time though :) !

Thanks, I´ll check the link. Good luck with the install.

Well, some people report problems with pentim D...

I myself have installed a P5K / P5k-vm / P5k-wifi-app/ P5k-deluxe.. and 2 more variants I can´t remember, I works and uses the same kexts... strange it is not working here

people with sata DVDs, sata HDs and fully compatible VGAs have reported no problems...

This method is meant for Reatil Leopard Instalation only

I have never seen any comment upon Pata/Sata adapter

Just a quick update:

1. sata/pata adapter does not seem to be an issue (though had I known I could get a brand new DVD+-RW for $30 instead of the $20 for the adapter I'd have just gone for that! :huh: )

2. I'm confirming the Pentium D does not play nice with retail kernel out of the box. Since Kalyway was running well, I decided to replace the vanilla kernel with the Kalyway one. Rebooted and everything is working well. So now I've got 10.5.6 retail running with kalyway kernel (from the 10.5.2 version). ;)

The system hasn't been running long so I don't know how stable it is, but seems fine so far. Have been thinking of going quad core soon anyways, so this is just an experiment for the time being.

If anyone knows if running the 10.5.2 Kalyway kernel is a really bad idea, please speak up! :D

I tried installing 10.5.6 through the guide in the first post and everything went fine until the first boot (step 6). I just get a white/gray screen with an Apple logo and some 'busy'-thing (a circle that keeps on turning) after around 60 seconds above the Apple logo a circle with bar through it appears and then nothing (the computer shows this screen with the turning circle for ever and ever). This is the same problem I experienced using Kalyway 10.5.2. I have to note that I did not format or repartition the disc (it is a single, GUID partitioned drive).

My specs are:

Asus P5K-Pro

1 sata HDD

1 sata DVD-RW

4 gig QVL memory

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

MS keyboard and mouse

Can someone please point me in the right way, because this is been making :) for the past few hours...

let me get it right, so as you follow the steps, you installed, then you clicked in the restart after instalation

boot with p5kfamily boot123

selected the number 80 at boot prompt, right?

now, try giving the -v option at the boot prompt, after typing 80 and enter, press F8, then type -v, and take note of the last lines, looking for what error, or what kext is missing or causing the problem

after that, boot again and try giving the -x -f -v

post your output here, your sata must be configured as enhanced hci, and sata as ide, if there is an option for that...

Jimmy,

This new image works fine on my P5K-E WiFi board. I'll keep that CD in a nice safe place in case I have to reinstall one day.

CM.

Cave Man, I need a tester for a new P5KFamily.iso would you kindly test it for me! :hysterical:

Thanks!

P5KFamily.iso

BOOT NORMALY

THEN PRESS " ENTER " (I am sure you know that, but just in case :) )

Hey Jimmy/All,

I have the SAME setup as you. Except i have a IDE cdrom. But, when i try to boot the ps5kfamiy.iso I get the chcecksum error. I tried burningn it 5 times with 5 diff sotware and it tired to download with 5 diff browersers as well as command line.

Can you please help me?

Here is my contact info

AIM: rhcp011235

Yahoo: johnhale3

msn: john.b.hale@gmail.com

google talk as above

email: john.b.hale@gmail.com

Can you please provide a working ISO? I will even host it. If it works :)

Please. I would love to get OSX running. I have 4 macboks and my desktop running OSX would be aswsome.

Thanks,

John!

let me get it right, so as you follow the steps, you installed, then you clicked in the restart after instalation

That's right!

boot with p5kfamily boot123

selected the number 80 at boot prompt, right?

Not quite right. The number was 81 (I think my USB-stick counted as 80) but that shouldn't matter right?

now, try giving the -v option at the boot prompt, after typing 80 and enter, press F8, then type -v, and take note of the last lines, looking for what error, or what kext is missing or causing the problem

The last line said: still waiting for root device. The full screenshot can be found at: P2080727.JPG

after that, boot again and try giving the -x -f -v

The full screenshot is: P2080728.JPG

post your output here, your sata must be configured as enhanced hci, and sata as ide, if there is an option for that...

I did configure sata as (enhanced) IDE, but can't find the right button to configure it as enhanced hci.

Thank you so much for your help already!

Hello,

Is there Anoyone who can help me with the above? I burned about 10 costers and no go. Everytime it says "Image checksum errpr"

I've tried toast/imgburn/nero. All the same output. Can someone please send me working ISO with marvel IDE.

Please! :D

Thanks,

John

hi, that is due to the ide dvd

I recommend using a sata/ide adapter... I never saw, but people say it works!

The P5kFamily.iso is for IDE Hard Drives Installation... I´ll check for another controller, but for now the checksum error persists

Try the iso I´ll send you via email

Regards

Hello,

Is there Anoyone who can help me with the above? I burned about 10 costers and no go. Everytime it says "Image checksum errpr"

I've tried toast/imgburn/nero. All the same output. Can someone please send me working ISO with marvel IDE.

Please! :D

Thanks,

John

Remove the USB Stick... and give it a try

boot the p5kfamily

install to a single hd (sata or ide)

OSX Retail will not load from USB Devices, I´ve tryied before...

Ok, Thank you.

I'll try it as soon as i get it :D Please send it now. This is really driving me nuts.

Isolinux should boot on a IDE drive though? :D shouldnt it?

Drop me a message on icq :D

Thanks !!!

John

Jimmy,

You seem to know a lot about these installs, so maybe I can ask you this.

I know that OS X does not play nice when BIOS is configured as RAID, BUT I did boot my Kalyway install before it got deleted while my BIOS was configured as RAID. So there must be a kext or something I can install that will allow me to boot again, right? It's not a kernel issue is it? As of right now I get the "Still waiting for root device error."

When I installed I did it by configuring BIOS as AHCI, but I figured since I was able to boot my Kalyway install as RAID, then maybe the Retail install would also boot. Any ideas where I should look? This could be very important if we can figure out how to boot it while configured as RAID! :D

Yes! I tried booting without the USB-stick inserted, but that did not change anything. Then I formatted the whole HDD and repartitioned it and... Now I am typing in OS X 10.5.6 :D

I had to install a different kext in order to get my network up and running, but that wasn't much of a problem. Thank you so much for this tutorial Jimmy!

Have you tried to use apples software raid? I think that should do the trick, otherwise you should get a suitable kext for that, and I honestly don´t know if that exists for your mobo!

Our motherboards are virtually identical aside from the Ethernet. You have a P5K-SE I have the P5K-E. I don't want to use software RAID because my RAID hard drives are not for OS X, they are for Vista. Vista is my primary operating system, I just want OS X for video editing with Final Cut Pro. I have a Macbook and a Powerbook G4, but both are not powerful enough to handle HD editing which I'm going to do.

I was just hoping you might know where to start in terms of what kexts I might need to make it work like it did with my Kalyway install. It has to be something fairly simple since OS X was running at one point. Maybe I'll load up the Kalyway DVD and look at the kexts...heck, if it boots while in RAID mode then that should narrow the field, shouldn't it?

The Kalyway DVD booted fine. I downloaded the P5K-E WiFi/AP plugin for UInstaller, and no more "Waiting for root device" error. But now the computer is endlessly scrolling something about "ErrorReporter." Anyways, the good news is that I should be able to reinstall with a custom disc including JMicronATA kext and the AHCI or whatever it is. I just know that using the kexts included in the plugin will allow me to boot from the retail DVD via the Boot123 method and install *hopefully*

Now I have to go read how to make my own/edit the one Jimmy recently updated.

Anyone having problems with audio after install? I'm following the instructions and the system works well, but just with no audio (and sleep hangs too, but that's a well established problem).

I have plain p5k.

I've tried installing the ALC883 3 port driver kexts, which worked once, but failed to work on a second install.

Any ideas?

P.S. Not sure if it's the Pentium D or not but I was getting kernel panics when mounting .dmg images. Did a quick search and found that rolling back the seatbelt.kext to 10.5.5 should fix it. It did, works fine now! :unsure: