P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

I have a question about updating my osx install.

right now i run a retail leopard on my P5K but what do i need to do if i want to update the system to 10.5.7?

I hope anyone can help.

Greetz,

Robin

Hello, lucky you to be carefull, people never should update critical updates without testing first... I am working on a workarround..

For now, boot with -s option, move (DO NOT DELETE) the kext that is giving problems, and wait for a fix

I do get a kernel panic with 10.5.7 at startup too ;)

Luckily I just used my testing partition but it would be nice if we could find a solution for everyone with this retail p5k method.

regards

people never should update critical updates without testing first...

I agree.

Netkas posted this on his blog:

Important notice, legacyhda may not work with newer applehda.kext from 10.5.7, you will need either make sure you legacyhda works with 10.5.7 or use applehda.kext from 10.5.6 (alc889a legacyhda from stickpin and friends need to be updated)

http://netkas.org/?p=100

So I guess its nothing too special :thumbsup_anim:

Anyways keep up the good work Jimmy!

I need some help. I get up to step 5 but i cant boot into mac. When i install mac os x i get an error at the end, installation error. But i think thats normal, when i reboot with boot123 theres no chance of me typing in the drive number "81" so it just repeats what it did before, by trying to install mac again. Can you go over how i have to do it from step 4 onwards?

My setup is p5k e wifi and e6400 processor.

thanks

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE DO TYPE THE NUMBER 80 OR 81, DO YOU HAVE AN USB KEYBOARD?

I need some help. I get up to step 5 but i cant boot into mac. When i install mac os x i get an error at the end, installation error. But i think thats normal, when i reboot with boot123 theres no chance of me typing in the drive number "81" so it just repeats what it did before, by trying to install mac again. Can you go over how i have to do it from step 4 onwards?

My setup is p5k e wifi and e6400 processor.

thanks

Hi there,

I spend 7 days on this, please help.

Can you please look at the board manual if it has: Intel P35 / ICH9 or something else.

My configuration as follows:

MB: Asus P5K-SE, Bios rev 1008

SATA DVR-216DBK Pioneer

SATA HD Maxtor STM 3160215AS

4 GB Ram Kingston

I wonder if the chip could be the problem , there are some mb for you to look at this link:

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5k/spec.html, in case you lost your manual.The one i have is all the way at the bottom right.

I always get "still waiting on root device", i cant pass this !

Thank you,

rutin

do a search on "still waiting on root device". I have seen lots of posts about this.

Jimmy,

I really appreciate your support here.

Could you elaborate a bit on what the package does and whats inside ?

Thanks

Hi there,

Can you please look at the board manual if it has: Intel P35 / ICH9 or something else.

SATA DVR-216DBK Pioneer

4 GB Ram Kingston

I wonder if the chip could be the problem , there are some mb for you to look at this link:

http://event.asus.com/mb/p5k/spec.html, in case you lost your manual.The one i have is all the way at the bottom right.

Thank you,

rutin

Update to the newest bios if you didn't, use SATA 1 or 2 for the DVD (check in bios). I should work.

Update to the newest bios if you didn't, use SATA 1 or 2 for the DVD (check in bios). I should work.

Thank you for your reply,

Bios configurations - > Sata configuration(Disabled,Compatible, Enhanced)

Could it be possible that author of this post has the board with ICH9R which is bit different?

I have with ICH9.

To which version, there are few on asus website?

I am very confused !

Thank you,

rutin

Try using 2 GB, then after that, 4 GB, enable AHCI in the bios

I also have a p5k-se, it is fully compatible

follow the tutorial, and let me know.

Hi there,

SATA DVR-216DBK Pioneer

4 GB Ram Kingston

Thank you,

rutin

Use Enhanced, all ICHX family is supported.

Thank you for your reply,

Bios configurations - > Sata configuration(Disabled,Compatible, Enhanced)

Could it be possible that author of this post has the board with ICH9R which is bit different?

I have with ICH9.

To which version, there are few on asus website?

I am very confused !

Thank you,

rutin

There is a descripton of the contend in the post, with the kexts names

do a search on "still waiting on root device". I have seen lots of posts about this.

Jimmy,

I really appreciate your support here.

Could you elaborate a bit on what the package does and whats inside ?

Thanks

Try using 2 GB, then after that, 4 GB, enable AHCI in the bios

I also have a p5k-se, it is fully compatible

follow the tutorial, and let me know.

Use Enhanced, all ICHX family is supported.

There is a descripton of the contend in the post, with the kexts names

Thank you for your reply, that is my problem, i dont have AHCI option in bios.

Hi There,

Another thing to mention here is: you have NIC (Onboard) = Attansic L1 Ethernet

But with me, i have Atheros L1 Gigabit Controler

Thank you,

Rutin

Hi, if you have the lattest bios echi is default... don´t worry

Attansic L1 = Atheros L1

Either you have a faulty instalation DVD/ Boot123 CD or your DVD is faulty...

try burning the media (DVD and Boot123 CD) again.

Post the results

Thank you for your reply, that is my problem, i dont have AHCI option in bios.

Hi There,

Another thing to mention here is: you have NIC (Onboard) = Attansic L1 Ethernet

But with me, i have Atheros L1 Gigabit Controler

Thank you,

Rutin

Thank you once more,

Even burned dual layer dvd at 1x, than 2x., did not helped.

Than as i have another installation of mac in old pc, i cloned the install dvd to second partition of the drive i want to install to, and put it in my pc with asus p5k-se, got that famous message.

"Still waiting on root divice"

The one that passes this point is brasilan mac only. 4 gb dvd .

I want to retail version, is this possible with this motherboard. Do i have different one ?

Link to mine from asus web, ( see manual ) :

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

thank you,

rutin

10.5.7 Update Advice (HowTo) for P5kFamily Mobos

UPDATE, BUT DO NOT REBOOT

INSTALL THE NEW P5K-SE_10.5.7.pkg (link)

REBOOT

Hey Jimmy,

If i understand it correct, I must first download that P5K-SE package, than download and install the 10.5.7 update and before the reboot i must run the P5k-SE package right?

I did not use a usb keyboard the first time, but it still doesnt work now by using a usb keyboard with the boot 123 cd, it just says "isolinux etc.." and then "loading kernel boot" and boots up like it did last time, i dont see where i have to type in numbers. Can anyone provide a picture of what screen to type it in? do i have to put in the mac os x install cd and then type the numbers?

thanks

Can you get the lspci of your hardware?

"Still waiting on root divice" should be fixed with AppleIntelPIIXATA ( sata controller for ICHx )

Try updating to the 1104 bios...

wierd... very...

did you use the p5kfamily.iso from this post?

Thank you once more,

Even burned dual layer dvd at 1x, than 2x., did not helped.

Than as i have another installation of mac in old pc, i cloned the install dvd to second partition of the drive i want to install to, and put it in my pc with asus p5k-se, got that famous message.

"Still waiting on root divice"

The one that passes this point is brasilan mac only. 4 gb dvd .

I want to retail version, is this possible with this motherboard. Do i have different one ?

Link to mine from asus web, ( see manual ) :

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

thank you,

rutin

press

F8

ESC

type the number

hit enter

I did not use a usb keyboard the first time, but it still doesnt work now by using a usb keyboard with the boot 123 cd, it just says "isolinux etc.." and then "loading kernel boot" and boots up like it did last time, i dont see where i have to type in numbers. Can anyone provide a picture of what screen to type it in? do i have to put in the mac os x install cd and then type the numbers?

thanks

Yes, the pkg will fix the system and install the necessary kexts.

Hey Jimmy,

If i understand it correct, I must first download that P5K-SE package, than download and install the 10.5.7 update and before the reboot i must run the P5k-SE package right?

10.5.7 Update Advice (HowTo) for P5kFamily Mobos

UPDATE, BUT DO NOT REBOOT

INSTALL THE NEW P5K-SE_10.5.7.pkg (link)

REBOOT

Just for your information , I still got a kernel panic after the update and your package.

Dont know could be my system... However I manually installed the 5.6 AppleHDA and everything works fine ;)

Just for your information , I still got a kernel panic after the update and your package.

Dont know could be my system... However I manually installed the 5.6 AppleHDA and everything works fine ;)

so..

does it works or it doesn't??

i have to run the upgrade by running software update or the manual download from apple's site?

then before rebooting i have to install the package than everything should work? have someone tried?

just in case it doesn't work..how can i manually install applaHDA.kext?

so..

i have to run the upgrade by running software update or the manual download from apple's site?

then before rebooting i have to install the package than everything should work? have someone tried?

I personally cant really recommend you to update. I am getting lots of Kernel Panics when using OSX since the 10.5.7 update. I am switching back to 5.6. while I write this. (P5K, Q6600, 8GB RAM)

This could very much be a problem of my unique system combination... i have lots of Firewire Drives and Usb music production stuff connected......

Does it run just fine for everybody else?? I would really like to run the newest version but I guess I´ll wait a little longer...

P.S I changed the 10.5.6 HDA from my other OSX partition.

Hi, as in the package description, it has the 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext, so that should not be the issue, the 10.5.7 version mus be incompatible with something else, turn on the debug in darwing boot option to see what the problem is...

each mobo has its own demands.

p5k-se and some others should be safe.. no problems here, no problems at all.

so..

Hi,

I am sure you tested your installer and all... but it doesnt seem to work for me. I install the combo update then the 10.5.7 Installer pack, do a reboot and always end up in a kernel panic. Tried it a few times already.

I can get thes system to run if I change the HDA kext to the 10.5.6 one from my other partition. Then it boots just fine. So I suspect that your installer just doesnt work for me. Someone else please chime in on this!

Are the other kext files in your installer necessary for 10.5.7 to run? I might have all the kernel panics because the other kexts are not installed aswell.

Thank you for all the work here!

Hm... well, anyway, I am working on a solution for that, so I´ll post another installer with sould enhancements...

The new file will have 5.1 channel capability for ALC 883 and try to fix the AppleHDA.kext problem.

posting in 4 hours or less...

Hi

I install 10.5.6 and the 10.5.7 update and your package I got a KP, in verbose mode I see the HDA issues

I've P5K Se mobo

sorry by my poor english...