New AMD DVD for leopard

max33

2,431 posts in this topic

Update: Fully Working! I will post steps here momentarily.

This is what I did to get my system fully working with Natit for my 7300GT:

Install from Zephyroth DVD.

Reboot to install DVD, open terminal, follow these steps to make drive bootable

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)

update

f X --->(X is the number of the partition where you installed Leopard)

w

q

reboot

Reboot to safe mode, use migration assistant to move ACCOUNT ONLY from working JaS 10.4.8 Tiger install on secondary hard drive, log in to safe mode, remove all GeForce*.kext and NV*.kext files.

Reboot to normal mode, you will be in VESA Graphics options with no QE/CI but at least you're in the OS.

Then, take all files from http://rapidshare.com/files/72992251/leo_vid_kexts.zip.html and copy to /System/Library/Extensions

When it asks you to authenticate hit OKAY and put in your password.

Then open the terminal, type sudo -s then your password and paste the following

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

then hit Enter.

Type Reboot, Pray.

These are all the steps I followed to get a fully working QE/CI Leopard AMD install. Once again, thank you Zephyroth! You are the man!

This is as far as I can go when going through the installation process. This picture pretty much expresses the reality of what happens on my computer, the progress bar gets stuck at that very step, which is about to reach the end of the process. Is there anything for me to try to get this resolved? Please check my computer specifications on my signature.

imagen004nb8.jpg

This is as far as I can go when going through the installation process. This picture pretty much expresses the reality of what happens on my computer, the progress bar gets stuck at that very step, which is about to reach the end of the process. Is there anything for me to try to get this resolved? Please check my computer specifications on my signature.

The same thing happened to me on install... I rebooted and went through install process again. It said it needed 100 and some megs this time to install. It worked fine after that.

Hey Hex. I guess since you got it working on an AMD64 processor then that isn't my problem. Maybe I'll try to flash my bios. That was suggested (as best as I could decipher) in a Spanish post on the topic of a problem similar to mine...

James

Hey James, if you haven't tried it yet, try booting with -x, it got me up and running in Leopard, like in Windows safe mode, and I was able to copy the files i needed from a usb drive. Bios flashing is a pretty last resort move.

Same for me... I went ahead and deleted the others and lan still works, but still freezes. I have same problem with transmission plus other similar freezes (i.e. downloading in safari). Still not sure if freezes are random, but it seems to happen with certain apps. I can reproduce a freeze everytime when the iTunes updater checks for v7.5. This happens when "checking for updates" so I'm thinking its actually the lan as well.

I'm still a noob so I might be doin something stupid. Other than freezes, everything is working great and even faster than JAS 10.4.8. Thanks for your work zephyroth!

my stuffz:

AN8-E bios 1010

Opteron 170

GeForce 7950gt

Atleast someone else has the same problem as me. I went ahead and deleted all other entries now as well and it doesn't crash as often, but still crashes. But like you said other than that it works great for me too.

awesome Hex I am going to try another possible solution, if that doesn't work then I am going to try yours. Only reason I try the other one is because I don't have a free ata IDE connector, my dvd drive takes up that one, but I will try your method, then I will report back

I hope this helps everyone, the only down side to it is that I can't boot my tiger drive now, no matter what disc I select in my bios boot menu it boots to the Leopard drive, which is fine with me, the only reason Tiger is even really there is incase I needed access to an OS X install to fix leopard. I'm most likely going to throw it back to a storage drive now. Good Luck everyone, and thank you again Zephyroth!

you don't have to, but you can, I took it out after making the drive bootable just to speed up the boot process, otherwise you have to wait for the Darwin Install Timer to countdown before it boots your hard drive.

I also forgot to mention that I cannot get PS/2 mouse and keyboards to work, so I have my PS/2 KVM running into a PS/2 to USB adapter which allowed me basic keyboard and mouse function, (I have no scroll wheel :lol:) I will most likely invest in a USB KVM this week, i've been meaning to for quite some time.

The same thing happened to me on install... I rebooted and went through install process again. It said it needed 100 and some megs this time to install. It worked fine after that.

I have already tried that, without success. Is there anything else to try?

hmm yeah that didn't work

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)

update

f X --->(X is the number of the partition where you installed Leopard)

w

q

reboot

can someone tell me how I can activate my 1st partition so that I can boot up into Leopard using the above

I tried rdisk1s1 that didn't work do I need to type rdisk0s1?

I have two partions

first Leopard

second for data

Atleast someone else has the same problem as me. I went ahead and deleted all other entries now as well and it doesn't crash as often, but still crashes. But like you said other than that it works great for me too.

OK, I might have figured something out...

since we are having the same issue maybe you can help confirm this possible work-around. I can freeze everytime doing an iTunes update (actually freezes while checking for new software" and very often while downloading other things.

booted with option "cpus=1" and I can now update itunes, download things, everything seems ok now. could this be a dual core issue with the network freezes?