Block All P2P!

Numberzz

35 posts in this topic

Mark Cuban recently wrote an open-letter that said, to all ISPs, to block all P2P traffic. "If I was a Comcast customer, I would tell them, as I am now telling all the services I am a customer of: BLOCK P2P TRAFFIC, PLEASE. As a consumer, I want my Internet experience to be as fast as possible. The last thing I want slowing my Internet service down are P2P freeloaders." Instead, he said, that people who wanted to share video over P2P, should use Google Video. As if they would allow illegal files. What is strange, is that this comes right after an analyst said that by the time 2009 comes, that all internet will be as slow as dial up because of the increasing number of websites that use flash or video services. But why would using Google Video instead of P2P decrease the amount of bandwidth being used?

dock-20071123-124306.jpg

Full Story

this guy what's his name -Mark Cuban-is so :shock: , by 2009 almost everyone will be on Fiber Optic speed, also I can be doing offsite backups backing up TB of information daily so what than is he going to complain about a freaking offsite services slowing down the net? if he doesn't need videos or big files to download why the :shock: does he need high speed internet in the first place get a freaking dial-up and enjoy 2.0 web, don't :shock: the internet with your :shock: ideas, are you guys with me!?

Edited by Mebster
NewGuy read the rules. Please refain from swearing. I know it can be hard at time but all this swearing over one guy who's comments don't make sense... it's just not worth it.

The one thing that this {censored} idiot doesn't realize is that P2P has been used in legal forms by a lot of people and companies.

When I was at DeVry, I set up a small machine strictly to file share all my presentations, files, and other school related documents. I would upload a torrent file to our ecollege storage and point my professors there, as well as my classmates.

We've also used Frostwire and Limewire to transfer school documents as well.

His open letter will be largely ignored, because the truth is, most ISP's don't block P2P because they know that even though a lot of people are using it to pirate, there are also individuals who are using the protocol in very legitimate matters.

I am going to have to agree with Mr.Cuban, when I spend money on my internet- I want it to be as fast as possible. I am going to believe what the RIAA, MPAA, and TelCo's say about piracy usage and effects rather than some Swedes with pirate hats. And if its legal then you should have to pay for it. Also, I think that Mr.Cuban is right about the tiered internet, because if you have more money, you have more of a right to internet, not like those poor folk, who are probably pirates because they dont feel the need to spend a measly 20 dollars for a CD. He is also right about 9/11 and the vast evil Republican conspiracy to cover it up.

Did I mention that I am earning a degree in "Doucheology" and "Im-a-f*ing-prick-in-Hollywood-land-and-wouldn't-give-a-damn-what-tech-does"

Yep.

Mr.Cuban, here is an "open-note" to you.

You are a douche.

You are in hollywood.

Just because you are there, you have no credibility.

If anyone takes you seriously, they forfeit their credibility.

So Mr. Cuban, shut up, or the next time you speak of the subject, I will personally pirate and flog for pennies everything you have made- but I doubt I'd get pennies.

All blocks are easily "unblocked". Change port and switch on some kind of encryption it would be very hard to trace what traffic is on the internet. But blocks will cripple the internet, so if by 2009 or any other year the internet will be slow -- it is because all analyzers that the ISP might have to use to block that traffic. And that any person with minimal more knowledge are able to avoid.

I wish I worked at the ISP he subscribes to so I can cut off his service for being such an outspoken moron.

You're my new hero.

These people don't know the first thing about the intarwebs and p2p. P2p is just another internet service. The only way it would slow others down is if you somehow manage to go beyond your ISP subscription's max bandwith.

Obviously, people who use P2P stay in the bounds of the max.

I also fail to see why anyone would think he has any kind of a valid point.

Maybe someone should answer him, saying symmetric data streams will eventually replace asymmetric ones. This will also eliminate centralized servers as means for downloading files.

Obviously, people who use P2P stay in the bounds of the max.

I also fail to see why anyone would think he has any kind of a valid point.

Maybe someone should answer him, saying symmetric data streams will eventually replace asymmetric ones. This will also eliminate centralized servers as means for downloading files.

I was always baffled by this.

The main complaint is that P2P users are soaking their bandwidth? Excuse me, aren't we _Paying_ for that bandwidth? Then there are ISPs out there who throttle your max throughput if you transfer too much data. Throttling pisses me off to no end. Like Netflix... which in my opinion is one of the best movie pirating schemes ever invented -- that is, if they didn't throttle you.

Too many asterisks in this world of ours.