Who thinks Vista Sucks

(MoC)

Vista : Sucky or Not  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Well, what do ya think

• Yes, it does
    • No, I'm a Vista Fanboy

75 posts in this topic

Well, OSX asks for installing stuffs and moving of system files. And it has the safari download or no dialogue. But Vista {censored} with allow or deny. Whenever you change a setting that little taskbar button goes mad and you want to :thumbsup_anim: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: it up. In that retrospect (and may others) UAC Sucks.

Standard response to claims like these: check your system, as there is obviously something very wrong. UAC isn't any more annoying than the OSX version.. If you happen to see UAC prompts during normal work more then say 1 or 2 times a day, there IS something wrong.

I go as far as to say that UAC is better then the admin prompts you get on OSX since the default on Vista is to ask for conscent only, not userid/password (something that indeed can be changed if one is really paranoid).

Last i looked a month ago you could get xp with your orders at dell. I used Vista on release for 2 days woulda been 1 but i decided to give it another day - i think that sums up what i think of it. 5 year development turns to {censored} leopard 18months - far better even with a few bugs it is not a disaster and I havent thought about going back to tiger, yet.

I'm saying this in all seriousness. Anyone who says that Vista "sucks" is incredibly ignorant. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like Vista either, I'm a Leopard user, but the operating system itself doesn't suck. You have to look at the OS from a marketing, user interface and economic standpoint. In all relations, Vista is not a bad operating system. There are a few setbacks, but last time I checked, OS X wasn't perfect either.

the WiFi was disconnected just before I click on the pay button
I thought I was the only one. Wait, that's Vista's fault? I just thought it was Comcast. Well that explains ALOT.

I despise Vista as much as all of you here. The only reason I keep it around is cause of Windows DVD Maker. Yea I know, there's iHack with iDVD, but everytime I installed iHack, iDVD, iMovie and iPhoto never worked. Except JaS 4.8, iPhoto worked on there, and occasionally iMovie. But iDVD always shut itself down or never opened in the first place. My reasoning for despising Vista is all the obvious memory hogness, UAC totaliarianess, the Wi-Fi issue mentioned above, amongst more. And I could give a flying {censored} about DX10. I don't waste my time and money on the '133720r2' new games and parts so that I can 'pwnage' you all. So all of you (Windows fanboys) that use DX10 as an argument and PC gaming as an argument on why Vista 'pwnzorzorz' Leopard, you are idiotic and I fear the fate of society because of your idiocy. Leopard wasn't built for games. It was built to actually do something worthwhile. Like music, movies, art and photography. That's why Leopard is better. It contributes things to society.

I'm saying this in all seriousness. Anyone who says that Vista "sucks" is incredibly ignorant. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like Vista either, I'm a Leopard user, but the operating system itself doesn't suck. You have to look at the OS from a marketing, user interface and economic standpoint. In all relations, Vista is not a bad operating system. There are a few setbacks, but last time I checked, OS X wasn't perfect either.

Any OS were people want to downgrade is bad, when OEM sell XP instead of Vista for a downgrade it's a bad product.

Any OS were people want to downgrade is bad, when OEM sell XP instead of Vista for a downgrade it's a bad product.

well put there. Im not saying it sucks as an operating system as itself but rather it sucks for the development time that it took to create Vista making it a disaster - if it only took them 18months or less everyone would be much more satisfyed with it as there is an excuses for things not to work exactly right where as five years its is really pathetic.

Colonel wants to reply to thread.

Cancel or Allow

What's not to hate about Vista? UAC blows, its highly unstable, WGA 2.0 ftl, and I think my grandma's denchers look better than Aero.

Everone makes fun of UAC, as if it's a fixed option that can't be turned off...

As for instability, varies from person to person. Works fine for me.

Well i never actually worked with a mac, about to try it. But i have vista now, and it runs smooth, actually it is much more stable than xp. No compatibilty issues found, only 1 but i ran that program in Win XP compatibility mode and i would never pay for it, i am quite happy with Vista, no intentions going back to XP.

But still, linux pwns windows. cant wait to try osx out...

Like most on here, Im not a Vista fan.

I upgraded my Macbook to 10.5, then since I was on a roll I installed Vista on a dual boot with Bootcamp.

While it didn't give me any major problems, I just didn't like it.

Result - on the mac, I will run 10.5, and the PC will stick with XP.

maybe i'm the only one -- but i've not had any problems with vista.

EVEN on an old AMD 1.6Ghz single core old processor. I had 2.75gb of ram.. but I just didn't run Aero and it was fine.

It was slow for some things. Like unzipping files. why I don't know. winrar was faster.

BUT I like it. On my new laptop it works even better.

You do need a good bit of ram... and it does work a lot better on newer processors... BUT Vista is actually pretty good.

I would even go ahead and compare it to things like OS X Leopard...Leopard is not without its flaws and its time machine feature is no where near as nice as Vista's methods.

Vista brings a LOT of new features that are really good.

I might be just as happy if these features were just made in a SP3 for XP though.

The UAC is not a big deal for me. You can turn off all the "annoying" prompts for cancel/allow, continue, etc.

But I like being reminded about what I'm doing. I like to know when I'm changing stuff around that could cause issues.

I like the fact in feeling secure that other programs aren't installing themselves (easily) without my knowledge.

Of course compare that to Mac and it's the same issue...because Mac OS X you're not logged in as root - so installing programs and running certain things (like web servers) requires you to click "ok" in the VERY least if you haven't set up a password for your account - or entering your password each time you run or install things.

So what's the difference?

Yes, you have to be careful where you install things (again like a web server) so it has proper permissions and access, but it's not a big trade off for the added security.

Plus Vista is going to come out with a service pack which should give more support for hardware and fix a lot of minor issues.

I think that's the only problem with Vista. It's made for newer computers so drivers can be a pain in the rear...

but again if you want to compare apples to oranges... OS X has an incredible lack of support for hardware . You just don't see it. Why? Because you can only buy Macs that have specific hardware in them that have proper drivers and support.

You start trying to put OS X on various other machines and you'll see its short comings REAL fast.

So getting a Mac - it works GREAT out of the box. It's ironed out. Same can be said for a properly setup Vista machine with compatible hardware.

It's when you f- with it that things get messed up.

Keep your computer clean. Do some work to keep it clean maybe each month...maybe scheduled tasks (people usually forget that wonderful feature) and keep anti-virus/spyware on it - a decent one - and you're good to go.

Hell I just use AVG and Spyware Doctor. That's $30 a year and free for the AVG. I have no problems with Vista.

Not everything is pink with Vista!..some odds behaviors I have noted are:

1.-If you save something in the C: drive and try to delete it later they give you the "you don't have enough privileges...",

even if you are logged as Administrator.

2.-The permissions on the network some times work and sometimes not without any changes.

Vista is ridiculous in the fact that they spent millions developing it, years developing it and they couldn't even get basic things like graphics support right. Vista ultimate was aimed at gamers despite the fact that framerates on Vista are disgraceful, and the price of the operating system itself is inflated.

Vista failed, Microsoft spent money on a huge mistake.

I've never had a compatibility, performance or reliability issue with Vista that couldn't be fixed. I will agree that it should have been a lot better, UAC sucks, there shouldn't be so many versions and that it is memory hungry but still: it's better than XP. You cannot beat the hardware support that Vista offers. Wait for SP1 and it will be more bearable, so far SP1 RC1 is quite nice. I don't hate Vista. In fact I love Vista, I just love OS X a lot more :)

It seems to me this is a rhetorical question!! :D

newspapers-150.jpg

List of Vista Bugs

I wasn't able to notice any bugs in that image, would you be kind as to list them. I mean, said image would indicate there is such a vast amount so listing some shouldn't be too hard.
Vista is ridiculous in the fact that they spent millions developing it, years developing it and they couldn't even get basic things like graphics support right. Vista ultimate was aimed at gamers despite the fact that framerates on Vista are disgraceful, and the price of the operating system itself is inflated.

Vista failed, Microsoft spent money on a huge mistake.

No, what's ridiculous is the fact that a grown person is unable to grasp the oh-so-simple concept that graphics support, in the way you're talking about it, is not up to Microsoft.

Besides the fact that NVidia, ATI and so on had years before Vista was actually out to start working on drivers, let's focus on the other fact that yes, drivers were abysmal at launch, but today they're more or less fine, hell, they've been more or less fine for ~6 months. So, one (Who is able to grasp simple concepts and the like), would deduce that "Hey, they sucked at launch.. but they're better now.. and that had nothing to do with Microsoft? Soo.. maybe that means it's the developers finally getting out decent drivers?" I assume some type of shock would shortly follow, hopefully prompting you to step outside the box created in the 90s by some cool kids.

But I sincerely doubt that happened. I'm right, aren't I Revolution 117? Personally, I find that rather ridiculous but apparently logic and the like isn't welcome when people discuss things relating to that magical Microsoft.

Oh, and some more fun facts:

- Ultimate wasn't particularly only aimed for gamers and as the Windows Vista Ultimate site states, it was aimed for those who want it all.

- Do you have a link for Vista failing? It's not like piracy was halved yet profits from the Windows division increased, licenses were double of XP in the same time frame and so on.

- Despite you making it sound as if Ultimate is the only version there are other versions like Home Premium, which is the dominant install and choice by OEMs and so on, which is vastly affordable and let us not forget MSDN, student programs and so on. Wait, let's forget that and pretend Ultimate is the only version and claim Vista is expensive. Also, you using the word inflated brought to my memory an article by the good fellow at Windows-Now, he painstakingly compared the prices of various Windows versions in the time they were released and took many economic factors into account, and by his research it was clear that Vista's various pricing wasn't some huge leap -- I will try and find the link as I personally prefer people to prove things, especially when they claim someone else said it, but apparently people on here frown upon linking to sources. I remember 2 recent fellows, one of which was eloquent Forceman, mocking my use of linking to sources.

I find that kind of ridiculous.

On another note, I cannot recall if I have pointed this out but this poll is stupidly biased.