Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

I got my X3100 working with iAtkos 10.5.4, with vanilla Kernel, hat to choose the X3100 in Installer and it booted fine, with right Resolution (1280x800), CoreImage in Hardware and QuartzExtreme.

Fujitsu Siemens Si 2636

Is the OpenGL Part in XBench for everyone so slow?

Yeah !!!!!

All true.

My GMA X3100 is running 10.5.5 with QE/CI now.

Thanks RCHMIEL !!!!

Hello Glauber Lobo,

I am about to install ideneb 10.5.5, do u mean that my x3100 would work natively or do i need to do something like changing the appleintelfb.kext as rchmiel has mentioned earlier in this thread.

I was about to give up on GMAX3100 until i saw your post and this thread

this forum is great and so as you people !!

Regards

Mutahir

Hi All,

I tried the above method :

Distro : iDeneb 10.5.5

My machine specs are : Vaio VGN NR32L GMAX3100

I can boot fine with vanilla kernel into 1024/768 mode, (after deleting gma950 and x3100 kexts)

I read this thread and people said the 10.5.5 kexts are working ok, so i thought of giving it a go,

but at one time it came up to the screen and only blue screen , i tried to press esc key and heard the system sound but the screen was Blue (llike the login screen without login window)

then I downloaded the kexts from rapidshare link provided here and those kexts made the screen go black and white lines as it used to happen before

Any idea or help ?

Thanks and regards

Mutahir

Hello, I just installed Kalway 10.5.2 (selected the vanilla kernel and Intel GMA X3100 driver) for my Aopen i965GMt-LA motherboard equipped with an Intel GMA X3100, everything seems to boot fine but I am restricted to the resolution 1024x768 while my monitor supports 1440x900.

I have read through this thread but to my shame must admit that inbetween all the different solutions and suggestions involving kext and natit and such I got rather lost... could someone perhaps have the kindness to explain how I could best try and get the correct resolution for my specific hardware/version? (I'm not very famliar with any commands under Mac OSX, sorry. Been a Windows user so far.) I'd be very grateful.

SUCCESSS!!!

The Attached File is Compressed

If Your Device ID Differs From This one Simply Edit It to Match i Guess

Also, you MUST (Unless Your Works Without it) Use a Corner of Your Screen to "Sleep Display"

THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE REBOOTING TO ENABLE KEXTS!!!

Dont Forget To Repair Permissions!!

If This Doesnt Work The First Time, then Install the Graphics Update First and then

Install The 2 Files (Natit.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext ) from simcolor and THEN!! restart

[EDIT]:

Install the graphics update first, DONT RESTART!!, then install Natit.Kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext files

found on this post or in a previous post from simcolor with kext helper and then REPAIR PERMISSIONS and then restart

use -f to force reload files.

then when system boots, and display goes blue to black, like the other guides say, drag your mouse to the corner

you set for "Sleep display, then move it back acrosss the screen. and the screen wakes with full QE/CI

[/EDIT]

Natit.kext - From simcolor ( Kext v? )

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - From simcolor ( Kext 1.5.18)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

This Works On My Dell Inspiron 1420 With

Intel GMA X3100

Device ID: 0x2A02

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Revision ID: 0x000c

Working With CI/QE

AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

[EDIT]: I AM NOT CLAIMING TO HAVE FOUND THE "SLEEP WAKE TRICK"

Only a way to get it working on some Dells that dont have it working fully

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]

This Still Works With 10.5.3

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]

This Still Remains Working With 10.5.4

[/EDIT]

This method worked for me as well. Scared to upgrade to 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 tho...

Hi,

For all you guys looking for QE/CI solution after 10.5.5 update. Solution is simple:

leave all kext from the update and replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one below with the one from attachment. Works for me.

Dell Inspiron 1525 with 1440x900 display.

Could anyone post the original kexts from 10.5.5 ?

I don't have the original kexts and I get the blue screen when I try the other kexts someone posted (rapid share link I think).

Thanks.

For some reason I am still getting the black screen after a 10.5.5 update and replacing the FB kext with the one that RCHMIEL posted. What I did was when I installed the update, before rebooting, I copied the kext over and rebooted. Now I can't even get into any GUI screen even with -x as the screen goes black. How do I fix? Do I have to use the terminal from the install CD to delete files?

Could anyone post the original kexts from 10.5.5 ?

I don't have the original kexts and I get the blue screen when I try the other kexts someone posted (rapid share link I think).

Thanks.

Dang it - I found out installing 10.5.5 put these kexts back in. But I get that damn blue screen :)

And it used to work with 10.5.2 ... sigh -_-

Hi guys,

here's my story: of course I am totally new to Mac OS X and of course I had lots of difficulties installing OS X to my Dell D630. After trying Kalyway, Leo4All, JaS versions with no luck, finally iAtkos v4i (10.5.4) succeeded. But, as it happened to many of you, I also get the wrong resolution, OS X gives me only 1024x768. I tried the following:

-during installation, clicked Customize and selected GMA X3100 drivers. Result: No picture on laptop screen, pic on external screen but no login window. When switching displays with Fn+F8, picture gets distorted and had to reboot.

-during installation, selected ToH kernel but no gfx drivers. No resolutions except 1024x768.

-installing many kext versions found on this forum, for example this one: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=518050. Various error messages: After reboot, "kext install improper" msg and no changes in resolutions, "Kext not loaded" status in "About this Mac" for graphics; or no error messages but no effect on resolution either; or the same distorted picture on both screens when installed OS X with GMA X3100 driver during setup. When installed kexts, I tried to delete all GMA-related kexts from Extensions library and tried to leave them; I tried to install kexts with KextHelper and manually via Terminal; results are the same: no QE/CI, no correct resolution :unsure: Right now I am downloading the 10.5.5 combo update, but I will wait for a good fella who might help me :)

So... What am I doing wrong or what can be the solution? Is there a conformed and working package or methid directly for Dell Latitude D630 models?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

cheers,

JF

Johnny Firpo: I would try the iDeneb v3 10.5.5 release. It's the most up to date one I've found, and has a lot of drivers (and handy applications) included. When installing, do NOT select any graphics card drivers. Yes, X3100 is listed, but don't checkmark it! It's no longer needed. 10.5.5 has X3100 drivers included in it by default. This made my videocard "just work" as far as Quartz Extreme and all resolutions go. Again, this is Apple's packaged driver, not something modified and edited here.

Hope this solution works for you. Good luck!

i installed ideneb 10.5.5 and i replaced the kexts with the ones provided a few posts back by AJ Allen. i followed the instructions with the whole corner of screen becoming the sleep display thing. now when i load up osx, first it goes from blue to black with a mouse. when i move my mouse to the corner the screen turns off. when i move my mouse again the screen turns on but is still black. can someone help me please? oh and i can still get into osx using the -x command on darwin.

For some reason I am still getting the black screen after a 10.5.5 update and replacing the FB kext with the one that RCHMIEL posted. What I did was when I installed the update, before rebooting, I copied the kext over and rebooted. Now I can't even get into any GUI screen even with -x as the screen goes black. How do I fix? Do I have to use the terminal from the install CD to delete files?

You can delete there files without install CD by following below steps:

1. Using -s as boot option.

2. Wait to secure shell is ready -> Type: mount -uw

3. Go to delete files you wants.

4. Type: shutdown -r now to reboot your mAc then try with yourself.

Hi CharredPC,

thanks for the tip. I downloaded iDeneb 1.3 but it is even worse: the installer does not start. If I don't type -x at boot, the gui does not start, only the spinning thingy keeps spinning. If I type -x, the gui seems to come up, but I cannot see anything on laptop scrren, and in the external screen I got the extended desktop, I can can right click and get a local menu for example, but the installer windows is on the other screen, which is not visible. If I try to switch between screens using Fn+F8, the screen gets distorted and I have to reboot.

Any ideas?

cheers,

JF

Johnny Firpo: I would try the iDeneb v3 10.5.5 release. It's the most up to date one I've found, and has a lot of drivers (and handy applications) included. When installing, do NOT select any graphics card drivers. Yes, X3100 is listed, but don't checkmark it! It's no longer needed. 10.5.5 has X3100 drivers included in it by default. This made my videocard "just work" as far as Quartz Extreme and all resolutions go. Again, this is Apple's packaged driver, not something modified and edited here.

Hope this solution works for you. Good luck!

My Acer Extensa 5620 had that issue- black screen (with two mouse cursors) after iDeneb v3 install. Deleted the X3100 drivers, got it to boot generically at 1024x768. Installed an X3100 driver bundle, got it working but without QE. Tried another, got stuck at an unchanging blue screen...

I got everything going by installing a fresh 10.5.5 without choosing a videocard driver. OSX found the X3100 automatically, is 1280x800 by default, and now has full resolution change and QE. Hope this helps

same here. fine after ideneb 10.5.5 install without choosing video driver. now playin' with efi to avoid messed up screen sometimes after reboot.

From my understanding this card is supposed to be max 384MB shared with system memory I have 2560 MB RAM installed and using XP I can get the full 384 MB for my Graphics card whereas OSx shows only 144 MB there must be a way of changing this as this amount is reported by several people using different size base RAM but where can you change this I would like to have the full 384 MB

There are no settings in BIOS unless there is a hidden menu in the bios itself but when booting to darwin bootloader it shows as VESA 3.0 &MB ram ??

Has anyone been able to achieve greater than 144MB VRAM or is this a limitation in the drivers from Apple ??

Guys,

I am getting more and more desperate here. I have tried several methods mentioned in this thread, installing new X3100 and Natit kexts, all I got was a black screen after booting. With the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext files, I have a working desktop but it says 'No Kext loaded' in System Profiler and I cannot select higher resolution than 1024x768. I am running iAtkos v4i (10.5.4) on a Dell D630 with 0x202a Dev ID GMA X3100. Also have to say that I can boot into OSX only in Safe Mode (-x at boot)

Before saying 'Do a search', please note that this forum has at least millions of possible and claimed-to-be-working solutions for this problems and as I said, I tried like a dozen times to fix it with no luck. If anyone has an idea or knows which method is working, please help me. Any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks,

JF

Before saying 'Do a search', please note that this forum has at least millions of possible and claimed-to-be-working solutions for this problems and as I said, I tried like a dozen times to fix it with no luck.

If you won't do a search, I guess I'll have to. They are discussing how to install OSX successfully onto your exact model here. That's likely your best bet for getting hardware-specific troubleshooting ideas.

Everyone has been reporting what has and hasn't worked for them. However, every computer is different. Their solutions may may be perfectly valid but still not work for you. Sometimes it will take two or three dozen attempts to get things finally working right, trying every method you can get your hands on. That's the chance you take by trying to force OSX onto unsupported hardware. You need patience for this game ;)

hi,

all true, however to save myself from being a complete idiot I must say I tried the method in that thread as well... Anyway, believe it or not, today I gave another chance to the quoted thread and bam, it worked now! So I am writing from a finally 1440x900-resolution OS X. Everything works, except QE/CI, but I gonna find it tomorrow, hopefully. Again, I don't know if I did something wrong or it was simply a question of time and trying, finally I got it working. Will post the method if and when I get QE/CI.

cheers,

JF

If you won't do a search, I guess I'll have to. They are discussing how to install OSX successfully onto your exact model here. That's likely your best bet for getting hardware-specific troubleshooting ideas.

Everyone has been reporting what has and hasn't worked for them. However, every computer is different. Their solutions may may be perfectly valid but still not work for you. Sometimes it will take two or three dozen attempts to get things finally working right, trying every method you can get your hands on. That's the chance you take by trying to force OSX onto unsupported hardware. You need patience for this game :unsure:

Hi everyone.

I own a Sony Vaio VGN-CR220E. The Graphics Chipset is the Mobile Intel GM965 Express Chipset. The card itself is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100.

I recently acquired and installed a copy of Kalyway 10.5.2 Leopard onto the laptop.Originally I'd be presented with a strange white screen that would fade to purple and then black, while the intro video played in the background (I could hear it, so the sound works at least).After deleting the AppleIntelGMA kext filed from the extensions folder via the command line, It booted to the OS. The only problem I have at the moment is the resolution is stuck at the default 1024x768. I am unable to change it.

I followed the instructions in post #324 of this forum, installed the new kext files in the archive posted in #184, and used SwitchResX to set the new resolution to 1280x800. I rebooted, and after the grey apple loading screen, i'm presented with a blue screen and nothing. When i plug in an external monitor the VGA port, the desktop swaps over to that, which seems to work fine, even displaying the correct native resolution. The only way to get the laptop display working again is to delete all the AppleIntelGMA kext files through the command line again, which sets me back to where i was originally.

I've been through a fair bit of this thread and several others, and I haven't found any posts that specifically solve my problem. In between all the different solutions and the fact that this is the first encounter I've ever had with an Apple OS, I'm fairly lost.

Can anybody help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too OSX-savvy, but I can follow instructions, as long as they don't get too hardcore.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext - From simcolor ( Kext 1.5.18)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle - From Leopard Graphics Update (Kext v1.5.24+)

This Works On My MSI PR600 With Intel GMA X3100.

I have tested it in 10.5.2 very stably without Natit.kext.

Actually the key element for correct display is AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (v.1.5.18) & OpenGL.frameworks (from 10.5.2) !

Using the same version of AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and relating bundles such as 1.5.18 (for 10.5.1) or 1.5.24 (for 10.5.2) made my MSI PR600 unstable on booting.

Sometimes it works, while the most time it fails !

Hey I have a Dell Latitude D530 with Iatkos 2.0 10.5.4 installed. (Recently upgraded to 10.5.5) Now I've been able to get my GMA X3100 working fully but only with the sleep display trick to wake it up after I turn it on. I've been doing this for months now but I was wondering if there was any way around that, so I wouldn't have to you the sleepdisplay kext anymore. I would appreciate your input greatly.

There are new drivers in the new Macbook Update 1.2 package, they work fine with 10.5.5.

Version:	1.5.34
 Last Modified:	16.10.08 18:45
 Get Info String:	AppleIntelGMAX3100 1.5.34.10
 kext Version:	5.3.4