Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

I see many new people trying weird fixes for their X3100. Did any of you try the original sleep trick fix? That is what is described here in "Now for the funny part!" (read all of it until you understand how to set up hot corners):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526

A short description of the problem is also found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry766109

The nice thing about this: It works out of the box and keeps QE/CI alive. However maybe your PID/VID is not supported - however I didn't see anybody trying this in the first place.

--

I have a Dell M1330 with X3100 (GM965) and VGA + LVDS works fine with sleep trick. HDMI never really worked, since the SiI174 HDMI transmitter is not detected by MacOS drivers. Yesterday a new Bios for this notebook showed up: A15 with the release notes:

Fixes/Enhancements

------------------

1. Enhance Fn+F8 function

Thus I tried something, I tried before: During darwin bootloader switching with Fn + F8 to the external HDMI attached display. This works fine so far and you can boot the Mac. When it loads the desktop the HDMI attached display goes black and the LDVS comes up. One nice thing: You don't need the sleep trick here. However the HDMI display won't be detected by the MacOS. If you then (after desktop has loaded) switch with Fn + F8 to the external display, you won't get the desktop there - instead corruption on the LDVS screen.

Summary: HDMI still not working. The only way seems to be using a VESA driver - I'm pretty sure this will work, but who seriously wants to do that?

Playing around with a laptop I acquired, a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with onboard GMA x3100 Graphics 1440x900 native resolution on 15.4" LCD

Device id: 0x2a02

Revision id: 0x000c

here is full PNP Device ID from WinXP for internal LCD display -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_20B517AA&REV_0C\3&B1BFB68&0&10

and for the external display (VGA output) -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A03&SUBSYS_20B517AA&REV_0C\3&B1BFB68&0&11

Black LCD screen when using fully vanilla kexts with no EFI string. Does anyone have compatible EFI strings for these so that I can use full vanilla kexts (with edited info.plists maybe) please?

At moment I just moved all Intel graphics related kexts out of extensions folder so it works but with no QE/CI yet ...

(10.5.6 system running from external USB2 disk so can edit it easily from other Leopard installs)

The only other way I guess is to use Paulicat's natit.kext and hacked x3100 kexts from early Kalyway distro?

[EDIT] The Fn+F8 trick semi-works native out of the box - it seems to extends the desktop to the external screen though and can't get internal display to come up with sleep trick either

Playing around with a laptop I acquired, a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with onboard GMA x3100 Graphics 1440x900 native resolution on 15.4" LCD

Device id: 0x2a02

Revision id: 0x000c

here is full PNP Device ID from WinXP for internal LCD display -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_20B517AA&REV_0C\3&B1BFB68&0&10

and for the external display (VGA output) -

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A03&SUBSYS_20B517AA&REV_0C\3&B1BFB68&0&11

Black LCD screen when using fully vanilla kexts with no EFI string. Does anyone have compatible EFI strings for these so that I can use full vanilla kexts (with edited info.plists maybe) please?

At moment I just moved all Intel graphics related kexts out of extensions folder so it works but with no QE/CI yet ...

(10.5.6 system running from external USB2 disk so can edit it easily from other Leopard installs)

The only other way I guess is to use Paulicat's natit.kext and hacked x3100 kexts from early Kalyway distro?

[EDIT] The Fn+F8 trick semi-works native out of the box - it seems to extends the desktop to the external screen though and can't get internal display to come up with sleep trick either

For your GM965 X3100 to work try the following: (for future reference u have Vendor ID 8086x2a02 rev.c just like mine)

A) Install all 1.5.36 (current 10.5.6 versions) of AppleIntelGMAX3100*

:( Replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one I attach

this will probably give u working QI/CE but "wake from sleep" problems for *at least* your lcd

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.rar

Interesting since I'm on PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_02091028&REV0C as well. Same DeviceID and revision. VideoBIOS is 1588 here (but worked with 1466 as well).

For your GM965 X3100 to work try the following: (for future reference u have Vendor ID 8086x2a02 rev.c just like mine)

A) Install all 1.5.36 (current 10.5.6 versions) of AppleIntelGMAX3100*

B) Replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one I attach

this will probably give u working QI/CE but "wake from sleep" problems for *at least* your lcd

Yes! After strolling for hours on InsanelyMac (very learnful for me), and trying endless combinations of kexts for my GMAX3100, your one little post here did it! I have the same laptop, or very close: HP 6710b T1800. Intel card has same ID. I have a nice install of iAtkos 5.0i, updated to 10.5.6 with official Apple update, but all that time no QE / CI. It it was only after reading your post here that I realize I should first

1. extract the graphics update kexts from the iAtkos 10.5.5 install dvd with pacifist.

2. install them with kext helper.

3. install your gmax3100FB on top of that, then do

4. I think two or three reboots, heaven knows why that is needed, and now...

It works!

Very happy with, on to the next tweaking!

:D:D:D

Yes! After strolling for hours on InsanelyMac (very learnful for me), and trying endless combinations of kexts for my GMAX3100, your one little post here did it! I have the same laptop, or very close: HP 6710b T1800. Intel card has same ID. I have a nice install of iAtkos 5.0i, updated to 10.5.6 with official Apple update, but all that time no QE / CI. It it was only after reading your post here that I realize I should first

1. extract the graphics update kexts from the iAtkos 10.5.5 install dvd with pacifist.

2. install them with kext helper.

3. install your gmax3100FB on top of that, then do

4. I think two or three reboots, heaven knows why that is needed, and now...

It works!

Very happy with, on to the next tweaking!

:wacko::D:D

Guys,

2-3 reboots are required cause after you "kext-helper"ed your new kext you don't renew caches. To install a new .kext you have to

i) rm /S*/Lib*/Extensions.mkext

ii) rm -rf /Sy*/Li*/Caches/*

iii) restart and boot with -f

Correct me if I'm wrong. Btw tdebruin is your screen waking up properly after sleep? R u familiar with DSDT at all cause if you are I have some questions for you concerning our laptops

Yay got my Thinkpad T61 (see above post for device details) working with full QE/CI on LCD and here is exactly how I did it -

1. Delete all IntelGMA* files and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from System/Library/Extensions
  2. Delete Extensions.mkext from System/Library
  3. Delete all files from within System/Library/Caches
  4. Install hacked kexts and natit.kext from slashack HERE
  5. Repair permissions
  6. Rebooted to fully working graphics with QE/CI and no artifacts - winner!

Note: I used the OSx86Tools utility from PCWiz to perform steps 4 and 5

Next to look into getting ethernet and sound running :)

Hello all !

i have a DELL Inspiron 1525 with GM965 x3100 video, i installed X3100-slashack, and make it work with sleep trick, but i have to do it every time i turn on osx86 ! is there a way to solve this forever ?

thanks in advance !

by the way, i used the ideneb 10.5.5 to install osx86. used also AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 with 1525_Codec to make sound works ... and its working fine ! what i need for the moment is to fix x3100 video, and hope some day yukon driver for ethernet ! kkk.. cheers !!!

Hello all !

i have a DELL Inspiron 1525 with GM965 x3100 video, i installed X3100-slashack, and make it work with sleep trick, but i have to do it every time i turn on osx86 ! is there a way to solve this forever ?

thanks in advance !

by the way, i used the ideneb 10.5.5 to install osx86. used also AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 with 1525_Codec to make sound works ... and its working fine ! what i need for the moment is to fix x3100 video, and hope some day yukon driver for ethernet ! kkk.. cheers !!!

Yes, with the DSDT trick. First, i used the hot corner to sleep the display. Then, I found a SleepDisplay app that did that trick so i put it to run at startup, and finally I found that using the DSDT patch it works perfectly. No more sleep trick.

I've a 2a02 rev 3 x3100 card.

I've tried many combination of x3100FB and Natit.

The best result I've achived is with slashack kext.

With this now i can boot in safe mode and have correct resolution (1680x1050) in the laptop display but no QE/CI of corse.

Booting normally with an external monitor (same resolution...) i have full qe/ci but the laptop display works only at 1680x1000; if i tried to put the right resolution of 1680x1050 on the laptop, then both monitors goes blue and stops working.

If i boot normally without the external monitor , laptop display gets blue and also resuming from sleep doesn't work.

I've have no idea what to do next to get this damn card working !!!

EFI strings didn't work too.

I've noticed that it doesn'matter what version of x3100FB i use, it works always in the same way.

The laptop display work only if the external lcd is attached at boot, then i can take it off and the laptop display will continue working at wrong resolution.

Anyone has an idea ?

thks

Hey Slashack, I checked my laptop and we both have the same revision and device id. Sorry I'm a noob do you think you or anyone on here can tell me in full detail how to install the x3100-slashack.zip file?? That might be the answer to my problem

Before starting you need kexthelper utility. make sure you have it.

I'm not a guru but this is what I do ususally (have tried many many times...)

1) unzip slashack folder in your desktop

2) open terminal

3) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* "

it will ask your password

4) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext"

5) type "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

7) Open KextHelper and drop into the window all slashack files. Put your password and click easy intall

8) when finished close KextHelper, but don't reboot

9) run diskutility (from Utilities)

10) choose your leopard disk

11) run repair permissions

12) reboot with -v -f options

good luck!

I've a 2a02 rev 3 x3100 card.

I've tried many combination of x3100FB and Natit.

The best result I've achived is with slashack kext.

With this now i can boot in safe mode and have correct resolution (1680x1050) in the laptop display but no QE/CI of corse.

Booting normally with an external monitor (same resolution...) i have full qe/ci but the laptop display works only at 1680x1000; if i tried to put the right resolution of 1680x1050 on the laptop, then both monitors goes blue and stops working.

If i boot normally without the external monitor , laptop display gets blue and also resuming from sleep doesn't work.

I've have no idea what to do next to get this damn card working !!!

EFI strings didn't work too.

I've noticed that it doesn'matter what version of x3100FB i use, it works always in the same way.

The laptop display work only if the external lcd is attached at boot, then i can take it off and the laptop display will continue working at wrong resolution.

Anyone has an idea ?

thks

macosse.. you are the MAN.. thank you soooo much really I mean it. QE/CI is now supported. Do you know how to get

my resolution to 1280x800? in detail. because i went into system preferences/Display and no options for the 1280x800

Slashack....Thank you for the files man... THANK YOU

Know how to get the wireless up and running?

Before starting you need kexthelper utility. make sure you have it.

I'm not a guru but this is what I do ususally (have tried many many times...)

1) unzip slashack folder in your desktop

2) open terminal

3) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* "

it will ask your password

4) type "sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext"

5) type "sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext"

7) Open KextHelper and drop into the window all slashack files. Put your password and click easy intall

8) when finished close KextHelper, but don't reboot

9) run diskutility (from Utilities)

10) choose your leopard disk

11) run repair permissions

12) reboot with -v -f options

good luck!

oops meant to reply from this one... seee.... I"M A NOOB

which resolution do you have available ?

are you booting in normal mode or safe mode ?

If you have qe/ci enabled i would have expected you to have your right resolution yet.

Are you using ax external lcd ?

the resolution that i curently have is 1280x768 and the next one up is 1280x928 i think. I need to be at 1280x800

I'm booting in normal mode

I assume ax is a laptop.? and if it is, I am using ax. NOT external

when qe/ci was enabled, was the resolution suppose to show up automatically in system preferences/displays?

Guys,

2-3 reboots are required cause after you "kext-helper"ed your new kext you don't renew caches. To install a new .kext you have to

i) rm /S*/Lib*/Extensions.mkext

ii) rm -rf /Sy*/Li*/Caches/*

iii) restart and boot with -f

Correct me if I'm wrong. Btw tdebruin is your screen waking up properly after sleep? R u familiar with DSDT at all cause if you are I have some questions for you concerning our laptops

Aha, yes indeed installing the kexts can be a bit tricky: I actually just screwed my system by messing with the sound kext (AppleAzalia), for some reason getting QE/CI also meant losing the sound, but getting back some keys on the integrated keyboard that were dead before (some PgUp and PgDwn keys on the right). Still rather mysterious for me why that works this way.

I will now experiment some more with installing/removing kexts, as I still regularly get random blurred screen on reboot, and kinda lost track of which IntegratedFramedbuffer and or Natit I now have installed - and yes OneStoneOne, I want to try the so-called Dsdt trick but have no experience with it yet. Btw, do you use IntegratedFrameBuffer and/or natit?

I will post progress, promised.

Hello all !

thanks in advance !

Well tried DSDT patch (2 or 3 kinds of it) but none was successful, so is there another way to solve the sleep trick ?

and just for the moment after i installed one of DSDT patch, the sleep trick also was unable to work, so i have to reinstall !

thx again ! i´m waiting for a god soul help me please !

kkkk

cheers all !!!

I've tried every file in this thread, to no avail. Boo me :).

I have an Inspiron 1525 with X3100 (Intel 0x8086, Device ID: 0x2a02, Revision ID: 0x000c), and I've installed both Kalyway 10.5.2 and iATKOS 10.5.5 after trying the XXX 10.5.6 version, but not a single combination of driver/OS-version is working. It used to though, until I messed up my system trying to update Leopard. So I know it's possible, but I don't remember how... annoying ey?

So my question is, does anyone have the same system with QE/CI while remembering which drivers he or she is using? If so, please let me know. You'd be of amazing assistance, and I'd do a little victory dance in your honor.

EDIT:

Problem solved. No idea how or why though. I've reinstalled XXX 10.5.6, tried the X3100 drivers on the cd. Deleted them, and installed slashack's drivers. Here's the link again, so people don't have to look so hard :D

I'll give some more info about the reason for my non-functional X3100 drivers. I had connected a secundary monitor using a VGA-cable for testing purposes. The thing is, when I plug in a VGA-cable the main laptopscreen goes black. So, I've been under the impression all those different drivers weren't working on my system, while the cause of the black screen was the VGA-cable which was plugged in. So, if you want to test your drivers using a secundary screen, wait untill they're working on the internal screen before plugging in the external cable.