Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

hello,

try to install the LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.dmg and DELETE any natit.kext in your extension folder, repair permissions, reboot !

Have full QE+CI + 1680x1050 on my X3100 (works in 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 too NOT working for me in 10.5.5 so far...).

Tried that last night. Installed just the graphics update from the LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.dmg and had the same problems. :ninja:

What about appleintegratedframebuffer? Keep or remove? I have it moved it out of the extensions folder

What about appleintegratedframebuffer? Keep or remove? I have it moved it out of the extensions folder

we have the same x3100 ID so it must be the same way... when you really install the leo...update it's also installing the same version of the integratedfram... and then it's working. When you did install via Pacifist retry without it !

Pacifist I only used to install x31000 on the 10.5.3.

Are you still on 10.5.2 ? Have you DELETED natit or laptopdisplay.kext in extension folder ??

we have the same x3100 ID so it must be the same way... when you really install the leo...update it's also installing the same version of the integratedfram... and then it's working. When you did install via Pacifist retry without it !

Pacifist I only used to install x31000 on the 10.5.3.

Are you still on 10.5.2 ? Have you DELETED natit or laptopdisplay.kext in extension folder ??

Not sure I follow what you're saying entirely. I installed it by just running the pkg installer.

I'm still on 10.5.2. I deleted natit and laptopdisplay.

If I use all the files from AJ Allen's, I get a blue screen on the laptop display, and I get the background with cursor on the external display, but it goes from background, to this frozen screen where the top half is black and bottom half is the desktop background, then the screen turns blue and fades back into the full screen desktop background with working cursor for about 3 seconds, then it loops the whole process over and over.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about: http://www.bbhracing.com/osx.html

From System Profiler:

Display:

Type:	Display
  Bus:	Built-In
  VRAM (Total):	64 MB of shared system memory
  Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
  Device ID:	0x2a02
  Revision ID:	0x000c
  Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1024 x 768
  Depth:	32-bit Color
  Core Image:	Software
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

The only difference i see from everyone else is that mine reports 64 MB of memory, as opposed to 144 for almost everyone else. Though I seen a few pages back that someone with another Vaio with 64 MB got theirs working, so who knows.

...mine reports 64 MB of memory, as opposed to 144 for almost everyone else. Though I seen a few pages back that someone with another Vaio with 64 MB got theirs working, so who knows.

OK I see, when no "real" working grafix kext is installed (loaded) then you and I also get 64MB with 1024x768, no QE+CI.

I guess you messed up too much with the extension folder or you choose the "wrong" OSX ?

I installed Leo4all V2, V3 both working. Choose no GMA X3100 ! during install from DVD, then after reboot have the 1024x768, then just install the leograficupdate.pkg you already have, reboot, voila all OK.

The screen jumps from a mid size screen in blue to a full screen in blue then the Leo desktop "arrives" takes about 3-4 sec.

EDIT: Your Sony has x3100 ? I see GMA 950 with 1366x768 in spec....

I'm running into the exact same problem. I'm on a Sony Vaio VGN-498E/W with GMA X3100. When I was running 10.5.4 with Paulikat's Natit, SwitchResX, and the 10.5.1 AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, modified AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, it was working pretty well with hardware acceleration and QE/CI. I started the 10.5.5 install, it crashed halfway through, had to go through and hand-install kext's until it was functional again. Now i'm running 10.5.5 with almost all of the stock vanilla kext's except for the video kext's mentioned above.

I've played around with a variety of combinations of kext's. Here's what I know so far:

The 10.5.1 AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext's I used with 10.5.4 are working.

SwitchResX is working, and i've noticed that I now have more resolution options for some reason.

When I leave AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin in place, I get the same scenario with the blue screen that turns black with nothing but a mouse symbol/spinning colored wheel.

I think that plugin is the key to getting CI/QE back, but i'm not sure. I also haven't figured out how to get EFI strings in place for my X3100... I have EFI strings for my Ethernet and HDA, but that's it

OK I see, when no "real" working grafix kext is installed (loaded) then you and I also get 64MB with 1024x768, no QE+CI.

I guess you messed up too much with the extension folder or you choose the "wrong" OSX ?

I installed Leo4all V2, V3 both working. Choose no GMA X3100 ! during install from DVD, then after reboot have the 1024x768, then just install the leograficupdate.pkg you already have, reboot, voila all OK.

The screen jumps from a mid size screen in blue to a full screen in blue then the Leo desktop "arrives" takes about 3-4 sec.

EDIT: Your Sony has x3100 ? I see GMA 950 with 1366x768 in spec....

No, it's an X3100 (965) not a GMA 950, at 1280x800 (14.1"). If it were a 950 the device ID and revision would be different don't you think? Where would you have seen otherwise anyways? Everything you just said, I've already done. I've not messed up anything with the extensions folder. If I do what you just said (go from a clean installation, then install graphics update), I get the issue I talked about in my previous post. There are obviously differences here that go beyond just the device and revision ids.

I was able to get graphics with QE+CI on my Fujitsu T2010 tablet PC. It was a little tricky but here was my process:

(1) Install Kallyway 10.5.2 with no graphics drivers selected. It boots up into 1024x768 res with no QE+CI

(2) Install LeopordGraphicsUpdate 1.0 from Apples site.

(3) Delete Natit.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

(4) Install Natit.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from post #184 using KextHelper program.

(5) Reboot. When laptop reboots the main LCD screen will be all scrambled. OSX is running but you will not be able to do anything unless you are clairvoyant.

(6) Hook up external monitor. The external monitor should be fine. Bring up screen display utility and change resolution for main display to 1280x768 @ 60hz. Alternately before installing the graphics drivers setup VNC for your machine and VNC in to switch the resolution.

(7) Install ScreenResX and set the main display to 1280x800 @ 60hz to get rid of the screen coruption on the bottom 32 pixels.

Everything works great now with regards to graphics.

I think a lot of the problems people experience is because the LCD screen is not recognized so it sets it to a 640x480 resolution when the hardware card is enabled. I do not understand Apple hardware/software very well but I would think it could be solved by setting up a hardware profile to recognize the LCD screen model and that it only supports the default resolution or setup the available resolutions for unrecognized displays to only be the resolution that your laptop display supports. Is that information stored somewhere in a kext or configuration file? If we could figure that out then people would not need to buy ScreenResX and would not need an external monitor or VNC setup to switch their display out of the low resolution corrupted mode.

Thanks,

John

Follow the guides listed earlier in the thread. Have you tried the steps I outlined in my post a couple posts above? If you did where did it fail or what symptoms are you seeing?

- John

hey john!

THANK YOU

i installed everything you said and it failed so i tried again without natit.kext

and QE/CI work on the external monitor

not only that but MUTE, SLEEP, AND RESOLUTION CHANGING WORKS

the only problem is that when it starts up there is no mucky screen

it only turns black

and then i plug it into the external monitor and it works perfectly!

but how may i be able to make the laptop monitor stop sleeping or whatever its doing?

THANK YOU SO MUCh!!!!!!

I use Post #312 。OK

I use iATKOS 2.0i 10.5.2 with 9.2ToH kernel。QE OK.

I test idenbe 1.1 10.5.4 with Vanilla 9.4 not OK . Delete AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle can use, but no QE.

I test idenbe 1.1 10.5.4 updated 10.5.5 with Vanilla 9.5 not OK. Delete AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle can use, but no QE.

thks alot for help.

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

is there a solution to 10.5.5 ? i've tried AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip but iam having black screen :wacko:

any hope?

I had the same issue. I had to delete AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle. No Black Screen but no QE after reboot. If anyone has a solution I would love to use it.

I had the same issue. I had to delete AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle. No Black Screen but no QE after reboot. If anyone has a solution I would love to use it.

My Acer Extensa 5620 had that issue- black screen (with two mouse cursors) after iDeneb v3 install. Deleted the X3100 drivers, got it to boot generically at 1024x768. Installed an X3100 driver bundle, got it working but without QE. Tried another, got stuck at an unchanging blue screen...

I got everything going by installing a fresh 10.5.5 without choosing a videocard driver. OSX found the X3100 automatically, is 1280x800 by default, and now has full resolution change and QE. Hope this helps!

My Acer Extensa 5620 had that issue- black screen (with two mouse cursors) after iDeneb v3 install. Deleted the X3100 drivers, got it to boot generically at 1024x768. Installed an X3100 driver bundle, got it working but without QE. Tried another, got stuck at an unchanging blue screen...

I got everything going by installing a fresh 10.5.5 without choosing a videocard driver. OSX found the X3100 automatically, is 1280x800 by default, and now has full resolution change and QE. Hope this helps!

What installation of 10.5.5 did you use?

Hi,

For all you guys looking for QE/CI solution after 10.5.5 update. Solution is simple:

leave all kext from the update and replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one below with the one from attachment. Works for me.

Dell Inspiron 1525 with 1440x900 display.

Thanks a lot! That fixed the black screen troubles for me on 10.5.5. (Thinkpad R61)

As in case of CharredPC and rchmiel my lappy (Toshiba M305 / X3100) needs no Natit, Sleep Corners, or headache with EFI Strings anymore. Perhaps Apple folks did some modifications to kexts.

Download 10.5.5 Combo Update and follow this guide.

Otherwise use 10.5.5 kexts. In archive:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

You don't need Natit anymore, so delete it. Display should work at native resolution. But update to 10.5.5 is much better than replacing kexts anyway.