Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Hello,

I appear to be in the same camp as Jonty!:

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook A6120 with the Intel 965gm GMA X3100 chipset. I have tried the method that seems to be working for everyone with revison 0x000c. I am using Kalyway 10.5.2. After putting the screen to sleep and then waking it up, it still has the grey screen with the big bar on the right with the new addition of some thin colorful lines. Before I tried this method I was worried that I wouldn't be able to put the screen to sleep; it would never go to sleep in VESA mode. After using the above method, I think posted by AJ Allen, the screen actually would go to sleep but, like I said, nothing pretty to look at (besides the thin colorful lines, the same screen I have been seeing since my first install with the included Intel X3100 driver in Kalyway). Tried putting it to sleep and awake several times with no luck. I think I will have to reinstall again because I can't get it back into VESA mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

since I cannot get it to work , I start to rethink about the cause of the "blue screen with 2 thick black lines.."

every time I switch from direct power plug to battery, or the other way, I can boot normally..

is this caused by the powermanagement budle?

thanks.

I'm rediculouly confused.

I have a Sony Vaio and it has a x3100 vid on a 395 cipset. And have no idea what to do, the apple load screen comes up then a blue screen then it freaks out with a screen full of black, white, and green lines. I have tried deleting the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext like I read on one of the other posts, but this did not help.

Also can someone explain why the macbook pros can have the same chipset and vid card

I have a Sony Vaio and it has a x3100 vid on a 395 cipset. And have no idea what to do, the apple load screen comes up then a blue screen then it freaks out with a screen full of black, white, and green lines.

The X3100 video graphics is only contained in intel mobile GM965 express chipset. It don't know what you mean by "395".

Anyway: For most people it works if you wait when the screen freaks out. Wait until the display falls asleep (you most likely can not see that), but after you wake it up again (move mouse, press shift) in many/most cases the X3100 is restored properly.

Read first posting here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526

Don't worry about the distribution. Try it with the one you have already. And only if that doesn't work, try iATKOS. I used iATKOS 1.0ir2 (the guide suggests 1.0i). iATKOS 2.0 is also out.

The above procedure is commonly called "sleep trick" for X3100. If you setup a "hot corner" of your touchpad for putting your display to sleep, you don't have to wait on every boot until it falls asleep.

To All:

I have been able to get the X3100 to work with all the resolutions, and am able to use it. But I need to play around with getting the notebook started. If I let the computer boot into Leopard(iAtkos 2.0 BS). I need to press FN-F8 at the "press any key for startup options" then I need to wait until the screen will flip back into view on my LCD, then it will go into Leopard and work just fine. But what I am looking for, it the ability to boot directly into Leopard with out having to switch to an external monitor or have an external monitor connected during boot.

If I don't do this, it will go to a scrambled screen, and it will not display the desktop. Anyone out there know what might fix this issue?

hey m8s... i don't really want to read all these 15 pages... so i will happy if some1 can tell me if it's possible to work with the X3100..?

it's will be super if you will update your progress on the topic header.

keep up the good job :D

hey m8s... i don't really want to read all these 15 pages... so i will happy if some1 can tell me if it's possible to work with the X3100..?

Which system? Do you mean the Dell XPS M1330, which you mentioned here?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry808885

Yes, M1330 with X3100 works, but:

. currently no HDMI out (only VGA and internal display)

. you require a trick (= touchpad gesture) to put display to sleep and wake up again to have an image on the screen.

Using X3100 on M1330 with external 1920 x 1200 and internal 1280 x 800 just fine on latest 10.5.4 with stock Apple drivers.

I have not tried the whole sleep mode thing it sounds weird

It's true that it sounds weird, but the guides do mention that already and it works.

I have tried booting safe and forcein VESA by deleting all the Apple.Intel graphics KEXTs, I also deleted the Nvidia and ATI to boot faster (this took off about 2 mins of boot up)

Going without QE/CI is no option for me and my rig (T7500, 2GB memory, 120GB HDD) boots in 31 seconds until all HDD activity comes to a stop. I don't have any room for 2min improvement.

It's more like a couple of thick bars (about 1 - 2 inches thick) on the screen vertically. The rest of the screen is gray. Also, the bars change color overtime. They are a purplish color. Thanks so much for your help!

I had the same kind of screen on a Toshiba a205-S5855 after updating from kalyway 10.5.2 to 3 using the combo update. But it would be fine for a couple of restarts, then eventually would have the same screen you talk about. i solved the problem by removing some of the kexts (leave the GMA3100 and 3100FB, but trash any others.) I have had no problems since doing that, and have enabled Quartz, but not Quartz Extreme (it says "not supported"). Some of the screen savers won't load (like Beach, my favorite) and it usually won't wake from sleep... ok to let the display sleep, then it will wake, but if the whole computer sleeps, it goes comatose.... :(

UPDATE:

I kept all of the 10.5.3 x3100 kexts, except I replaced the 3100FB with the same kext from the 10.5.2 install. Everything is working fine now, including QE....

Hello,

On Toshiba P-205, I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2. The X3100 s recognized, 144 MB vram, vendor id = (0x8086) Device ID (0x2a02) Revision ID (0x000c). CI is only software supported, QE is not supported at all. The resolution is correct (1440 x 900) and I can switch resolutions. How to solve this? I used Paulicat's Natit, it didnt work, I think its the same as the Natit given with Kalyway, I tried LaptopDisplay.kext, I got the blue screen. What should I be doing?

Thank you,

It Worked, for a while, ! I swear I did not do anything. Downloaded the Leo Graphics Update 10.5.2, and then during installation the install crashed my computer. It turned it off. I restart again, and miraculously, it's there. CI/QE Resolution 1440 x 900 on Toshiba P-205.

I turned it off and on again, I got the black/blue screen and the sleep display didnt work either.

/EDIT/

When I restarted again using -f it worked. I turned off and restarted without -f, I got the blue/black screen again.

If I repair permissions fomr the Kalyway DVD, will this solve my issue permanently?

I got it working now. 1440 x 900 with QE/CI

All I had to do was delete the gma950 kexts. I left the AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext untouched. I don't know if deleting will affect my graphics, so I don't dare touch it now.

My built-in camera is not working, I lcick on Photo Booth and I see it lit up, but teh screen remains black. I'm going to read more about it.

Thanx!!

It Worked, for a while, ! I swear I did not do anything. Downloaded the Leo Graphics Update 10.5.2, and then during installation the install crashed my computer. It turned it off. I restart again, and miraculously, it's there. CI/QE Resolution 1440 x 900 on Toshiba P-205.

I turned it off and on again, I got the black/blue screen and the sleep display didnt work either.

/EDIT/

When I restarted again using -f it worked. I turned off and restarted without -f, I got the blue/black screen again.

If I repair permissions fomr the Kalyway DVD, will this solve my issue permanently?

If you still have problems (mine would give a weird grey striped screen after a few restarts), replace the x3100FB kext with the one from the 10.5.2 install - leave everything else the same. And like you said in your next post, get rid of all the Intel 950 kexts.

oh, thanx, will do that if i start seeing some problems. DO you know if my monitor should be identified in the mac system information? Mine is not identified, and I wonder if that's part of the problem that Photo Booth is not worrking. Ichat works with my built-in camera though....

oh, thanx, will do that if i start seeing some problems. DO you know if my monitor should be identified in the mac system information? Mine is not identified, and I wonder if that's part of the problem that Photo Booth is not worrking. Ichat works with my built-in camera though....

Mine shows up fine. I didn't do anything special beyond the install:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

somebody have a vaio fz140e?because i try this 15 pages and the finish i have the whitescreen,itry kalyway 10.5.2 and leo4all3.in the finish i have the white scrrean version(i try with this kext).my graphic is gmax3100 0x8086 0x2a02 0x000c,thks alot for help me.

somebody have a vaio fz140e?because i try this 15 pages and the finish i have the whitescreen,itry kalyway 10.5.2 and leo4all3.in the finish i have the white scrrean version(i try with this kext).my graphic is gmax3100 0x8086 0x2a02 0x000c,thks alot for help me.

Have you tried the F8 options? At startup, you'll see the darwin bootloader. It says to hit F8 for options. Then at the prompt try any of the following:

-x

-v

-F

If none of them works, try to get into the extensions folder and be sure to get rid of any Intel 950 kexts - they can sometimes cause conflicts. Also, from the Kalyway install, did you select the Graphic/Video options to install the x3100 drivers? You could also try the iAtkos 1.0r2 disk and install it. Finally, you could try the Leopard Graphics update from the Apple website (just go there and search for it).

Best of luck - hopefully you have an external USB drive with a working mac install that you can boot from to work on your problem disk.

Still no luck getting the video set up. This is still all I can get to work:

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Otherwise I get the grey screen with colorful lines when installing the X3100 kexts with the special Natit, repairing permissions, and using the sleep method. After waking the screen back up from sleep (several times), I still get the same grey screen.

Has anyone else got theirs working with my Device ID and Revision ID?

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Where can I get the driver to make my GMA965 X3100 work properly?

My laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-CR220E...

Revision ID: 0x000c

I've tried the Leo4All v3 X3100 driver, but when I boot, I always get a damn white screen...

Any solutions for it?

Thanks in advance!

dreambosk,

@crustacean:

I have the same problem with my laptop:

I try many versions of AppleIntelGMAX3100

to run in 1024x768, I must delete all GMA* kext

Thanks for help

, you should not delete all GMA* kexts but GMA950*. The resolution 1024 x 769 is not native to lots of current laptops, because they employ a wider resolution, so if you go with that you might get an elongated display on your screen.

Some users do not specify any driver in the graphics driver in the installation of the dvd, and then they install the leo graphics update (but 10.5.2 minimum required) and it works for them.

if you havent read i think page 13 & 14, the revision 0x0003 does not seem to be working correctly

at the time or requires kext modding. for the moment the only revision that works is 0x000c