Easily Recognize Stacks!

Numberzz

36 posts in this topic

Do you want to easily recognize stacks? A Japanese user has just found out a little trick that will get some "drawers." These sit on top of the stack and tell you which stack is what. You do need to enter a few commands in Terminal, but it is well worth it. Download link and terminal commands in the Full Guide link.

stacks.jpg

Full Guide

This hit Digg a couple days ago... it's a really cool concept. Semi-transparent icons which sit on top of a Stack.

Most of them will sit on top of a stack by default, because their names begin with a space. The only time you'd need to change the Modified date with touch is for the Downloads stack, because those are sorted by date.

Picture1-4.jpg

This hit Digg a couple days ago... it's a really cool concept. Semi-transparent icons which sit on top of a Stack.

Most of them will sit on top of a stack by default, because their names begin with a space. The only time you'd need to change the Modified date with touch is for the Downloads stack, because those are sorted by date.

Picture1-4.jpg

Yeah works good, saw it on digg as well. Very cool looking as well as practical.

After you copy the Drawer icons into the Stacks, kill your Dock. Open Terminal (Applications>Utilities) and type "killall Dock" without quotation marks and press Return.

Thanks. I figured I'd have to log out or reboot or something.

Now I just need a few more icon variations... maybe I can figure out how to make them.

Something like this built-in to Leopard? This works good for now though.

I agree. The stacks are a good idea but the way it has been implemented is all wrong. I view these kinds of tweaks as a work around but not a fix.

I'd like to see customizable stacks icons work within the OS as well as the ability to navigate through file structure. The behavior of the applications folder on the Tiger Dock worked much more effectively (in my opinion) than the Applications Stack of Leopard.

doesnt seem to work for me on the downloads stack. Place a new file in and the icon disappears. weirdhmmm the stack doesnt seem to sort by date modified. Rebooted, killed dock, nothing makes it works. it only works initially when you first put it it but when you drag another folder into it, it disappears.hmmm the stack doesnt seem to sort by date modified. Rebooted, killed dock, nothing makes it works. it only works initially when you first put it it but when you drag another folder into it, it disappears.

I agree. The stacks are a good idea but the way it has been implemented is all wrong. I view these kinds of tweaks as a work around but not a fix.

I'd like to see customizable stacks icons work within the OS as well as the ability to navigate through file structure. The behavior of the applications folder on the Tiger Dock worked much more effectively (in my opinion) than the Applications Stack of Leopard.

Agreed, they do need a bit of work. I also miss the old beta behavior where when you clicked on a folder that was in a stack, it would open that folder as a new stack. Much better than opening Finder and then looking for the file/app in there.

rollcage, if you're looking for the old dock behavior, create an alias of the folder you want, and put the alias in the dock.

It's about time someone did this....

Only problem for me is that my dock isn't too big, and I don't really want to use magnification right now. Still a noticeable difference.

Great find Numberzz.

doesnt seem to work for me on the downloads stack. Place a new file in and the icon disappears. weirdhmmm the stack doesnt seem to sort by date modified. Rebooted, killed dock, nothing makes it works. it only works initially when you first put it it but when you drag another folder into it, it disappears.hmmm the stack doesnt seem to sort by date modified. Rebooted, killed dock, nothing makes it works. it only works initially when you first put it it but when you drag another folder into it, it disappears.

You probably have the stack sorted by "date added" instead of "modified date".

Change that clicking on the dock icon...