Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I've tried to follow what has been going on in this thread, but I got lost somewhere around page 18 :D

In any case, I'm on a ThinkPad R61 with an x3100 card. The issue that I'm having revolves around sleep.

I can put the computer to sleep just fine... but waking up produces a black screen. The computer runs just fine, and the computer itself wakes up-- but the display does not load! I don't quite understand what is going on behind the scenes, but the computer sleeps just fine functionally, but the internal display fails to wake up!

I've seen a 'Sleep Fix' somewhere in this thread, but there is a ton of confusion about what to actually do, how to get it working, and if it actually works!

I would appreciate it very much if somebody could post a thorough step-by-step for this!

I am on:

iAtkos r2

Vanilla Kernel 9.2.2

Leopard Graphics Update

ThinkPad R61

x3100

for those with intel gma950 that just did the kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and are getting a blue screen

boot with the -s option

follow the on screen instructions to enable write access to the drive

you will need to get

0x27a2.zip from here:

http://code.google.com/p/darwin950/

or here's a direct link to it

http://darwin950.googlecode.com/files/0x27a2.zip

I then put this zip file on a thumbdrive

of course you will need to manually mount the thumbdrive I did:

mkdir /bunghole

mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /bunghole

then get your zip file, unzip it, you may have to

chgrp -R wheel * in the 0x27a2 directory to fix the permissions

then kextload each of the .kext directories

then type exit to reboot.

this got me to the graphic mode but i was stuck at 1024x768

on my kalyway 10.5.2 cd i grabbed GMA950_appleintelintegratedframebuffer.pkg

from here: /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Installation/Packages/Patches

ran it, and now it works.

there may be better ways of doing this, but this is my first day ever using osx.

Update for Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 users with GMA950. I got it to work without mouse tearing or artifacts for the first time on my notebook. Note that this is likely very system specific. I apologize if this has been posted before.

See my sig for details on my system. I had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed when I started with 10.5.3 upgrade. As commonly observed, I still had mouse artifacts on memory hungry programs such as MS Word, Adobe PS...

Sleep never worked. Only lid closing would work, but it wouldn't really sleep (power light would still be steady instead of blinking). I did have screen saver on enable when mouse moved to top right corner. This was done because the notebook would wake up from lid close sleep with black screen and I could invoke screen saver and got my desktop back that way.

This may be a combination of things or plain due to an upgrade to either one of the two things below. I don't know the details yet. The only thing I know is that it works.

I first upgraded with Jas 10.5.3 combo update. After the system booted I was welcomed with a blue screen and nothing happened. Only after about 5-10min. (got this by chance), the desktop would slowly build up and be fine after that. Everything else was the same as before, mouse tearing, no sleep...

I did not apply smbfix (maybe should have to fix long boot time, not sure).

Instead I downloaded Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and installed right over it. I then used modbin's kernel to replace current.

System rebooted fine and right into the desktop. It returned to a black screen. I moved my mouse into the top right corner and voila the desktop came back (screen saver invoked). I then noticed that there was no mouse tearing or artifacts, everything was perfect. I uninstalled mousepose and still no mouse tearing or artifacts.

so, for some reason the 10.5.3 upgrade corrected this issue. I have no idea at this point why this, but I am happy.

All I had to do next was to fix sound for sigmatel and everything is working except sleep and only 1 CPU.

I would be happy to hear experience by others who have E1505/6400 with gma 950 who installed either of the combo updates. I will dig in deaper to find what caused the fix. I'd be great to hear from the more experienced folks here where exactly to look for. Maybe it's possible to make a simple package to fix gma950 on dells now?

thanks

edit 1: sorry, my bad. when I wrote screensaver I really meant sleep/wake function. You need to enable sleep/wake on mouse to active corner of screen. When you get the black screen after boot, move mouse into active corner and the main laptop monitor will wake up. without artifacts!

What I don't understand, is that when I load warsow, i get like 3-4 fps, on low settings.

However when I was in windows, i get like 70fps on high settings.

Something can't be right here

I updated the Dell GX620 to 10.5.3, it has a GMA950 everything worked ok until I try to connect with Screen Sharing, result instant panic.

Re-read a lot of the firsts posts, I ended restoring AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from 10.5.0 now everything works fine, no glitches or tearing and no kernel panics.

@bense:

i'm new to the apple shell, could you be a little more clear with how to change the permissions?

running as root:

chgrp -R wheel *

inside of my 0x27a2 directory still gives me permission errors when i try to kextload.

edit:

don't know if this fixes my screen, but to load the kext's, do the chgrp, then cp them to

/System/Library/Extensions/

then

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/whatever.kext/

edit:

SUCCESS!!!

thanks paulicat and bense for pointing me in the right direction.

I've successfully installed 10.5.3 and installed the natit.kext as per this thread here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=89257&st=0

However, when I boot into the OS, Finder loads, and then immediately starts to throw a fit - the entire screen just go crazy.

When I plug my external monitor in (Dell 2405), the laptop screen returns to normal useable state.

I'm running an Acer Aspire 5570. I've used iatkos 10.5.1r2 and updated to 10.5.3.

Do I have to replace AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext? My current version is 1.5.28.1. My previous version is from Mac OS X 10.5.2 (had updated from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 to 10.5.3).

*Edit, yes, I do have too.

Just figured that out.

I really wish instructions on this forum were much more specific than general. :lol:

Does anybody that has an x3100 card have any brightness controls? I read through a lot of forums and noticed that by using an old verion of AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext they can get their brightness to work-- however when I use that the machine fails to boot (Login window App hangs in verbose mode). Has anybody found any working solutions?

Update for Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 users with GMA950. I got it to work without mouse tearing or artifacts for the first time on my notebook. Note that this is likely very system specific. I apologize if this has been posted before.

See my sig for details on my system. I had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed when I started with 10.5.3 upgrade. As commonly observed, I still had mouse artifacts on memory hungry programs such as MS Word, Adobe PS...

Sleep never worked. Only lid closing would work, but it wouldn't really sleep (power light would still be steady instead of blinking). I did have screen saver on enable when mouse moved to top right corner. This was done because the notebook would wake up from lid close sleep with black screen and I could invoke screen saver and got my desktop back that way.

This may be a combination of things or plain due to an upgrade to either one of the two things below. I don't know the details yet. The only thing I know is that it works.

I first upgraded with Jas 10.5.3 combo update. After the system booted I was welcomed with a blue screen and nothing happened. Only after about 5-10min. (got this by chance), the desktop would slowly build up and be fine after that. Everything else was the same as before, mouse tearing, no sleep...

I did not apply smbfix (maybe should have to fix long boot time, not sure).

Instead I downloaded Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update and installed right over it. I then used modbin's kernel to replace current.

System rebooted fine and right into the desktop. It returned to a black screen. I moved my mouse into the top right corner and voila the desktop came back (screen saver invoked). I then noticed that there was no mouse tearing or artifacts, everything was perfect. I uninstalled mousepose and still no mouse tearing or artifacts.

so, for some reason the 10.5.3 upgrade corrected this issue. I have no idea at this point why this, but I am happy.

All I had to do next was to fix sound for sigmatel and everything is working except sleep and only 1 CPU.

I would be happy to hear experience by others who have E1505/6400 with gma 950 who installed either of the combo updates. I will dig in deaper to find what caused the fix. I'd be great to hear from the more experienced folks here where exactly to look for. Maybe it's possible to make a simple package to fix gma950 on dells now?

thanks

edit 1: sorry, my bad. when I wrote screensaver I really meant sleep/wake function. You need to enable sleep/wake on mouse to active corner of screen. When you get the black screen after boot, move mouse into active corner and the main laptop monitor will wake up. without artifacts!

I tried to follow your steps in order to replicate this exactly.

Here is what I did

1) Kalyway EFI MBR install with the supplied GMA 950 kexts (tiger's appleintelintegratedframebuffer) used Speedstepkernel. No patches, no audio, clean install

2) Turn on sleep display hot corners at right, i.e. when u move pointer to right corner top, display sleeps

3) Updated to 10.5.3 using Jas 10.5.3

4) Updated to 10.5.3 using Kalyway - installed on top of Jas 10.5.3

5) I did not select any kernel from the Kalyway's kernel package as I wanted to keep the 9.2 speedstepkernel

6) Machine rebooted fine, display is still black (laptop monitor), i move to right corner, still black

7) Connected to external display - all works fine. Not a single glitch

If there is something wrong with what i tried to do to replica your steps exactly, pls let me know.

Specs:

Dell D430

1.2ghz C2D (1 core)

BCM4318 wireless

GMA950

I tried to follow your steps in order to replicate this exactly.

Here is what I did

1) Kalyway EFI MBR install with the supplied GMA 950 kexts (tiger's appleintelintegratedframebuffer) used Speedstepkernel. No patches, no audio, clean install

2) Turn on sleep display hot corners at right, i.e. when u move pointer to right corner top, display sleeps

3) Updated to 10.5.3 using Jas 10.5.3

4) Updated to 10.5.3 using Kalyway - installed on top of Jas 10.5.3

5) I did not select any kernel from the Kalyway's kernel package as I wanted to keep the 9.2 speedstepkernel

6) Machine rebooted fine, display is still black (laptop monitor), i move to right corner, still black

7) Connected to external display - all works fine. Not a single glitch

If there is something wrong with what i tried to do to replica your steps exactly, pls let me know.

Specs:

Dell D430

1.2ghz C2D (1 core)

BCM4318 wireless

GMA950

when you move to right corner you may have to wait a little or try a couple more times. You also have to move the mouse back to main desktop. It sounds like you may not have waited long enough or missed the corner at the right time. This happens to me sometimes as well.

hope that's the case.

My Device ID is '0x2772', It seems that it doesn't work on it...

same to me..

i will try the kext from 10.5.0, but downloading the whole dvd takes a while..

Re-read a lot of the firsts posts, I ended restoring AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from 10.5.0 now everything works fine, no glitches or tearing and no kernel panics.

may you (or anyone else) send me this kext?

i havent found it anywhere.. otherwise i have to download the whole leopard-dvd..

my card is working (device id 2772 with kext from 10.5.2) on 10.5.3, but with artefacts in programms like illustrator or indesign (no go for me)..

Ok I've been looking everywhere since a week for my problem and cant seem to find any solution

I'm using a thinkpad T60 with GMA 950 graphic

The good thing is EVERYTHING ( except wifi, wich I solve with a dongle ) is working on Leopard 10.5.2

Bad new is I'm trying to connect to a seconday monitor. Unfortunaly, when I do so, both screen just go weird ( mutiples stips appear on the screen, in differents colors and I cant see anything except that ). When I disconnect the screen, everything is fine again.

I know that at first I plugged my screen and didnt seem to work, so I decided to test mirror mode...and then it got all weird. Now I guess it might work ( I changed some .kest, etc... ) but I dont know how to disable mirror mode, since when I plug the monitor ( wich give me the option to have mirror mode ), boths screen are unreadble ( colors strips ) and I cant say to Leopard to diable mirror mode.

So anyone have an idea how, with my GMA 950 I can get both screen to work and disable the d*** mirror mode.

thanks in advance for your help, I really tried hard to look everywhere for that answer and cant seem to find it. I saw some other people with similar problem but I never saw the answer going with it. thanks again

ok with some luck I got the second screen to work ( was clicking everywhere and it seem I manage to click at the right place to do something )now it seem that if I rotate the GMA 950 display setting, the screen go back. So in short, I get get the second monitor to work IF it is rotated from 90, 180 or 270 degree. Wich mean, the only one that look " good " is 180 degree.Only downside...I need to have my monitor upside down. Anyone have an idea why it need to do that or a way to solve this problem. At least I think I'm on somethingwell finaly the problem wasnt even from Leopard ! It was from the display itself...didnt though it would work but I decided to take one of my others screens I use on my desktop and this one did work whitout any problem !So now I have 2 screens on Leopard 10.5.2 whitout any problemI now have a 100% workable Mac Leopard

GMA950 for Desktops works, just read my previous post.

Hi, I just want to clear some info. I have a gma950 desktop with ASUS, the Natit is loading fine, but I just can't make the resolution work.

I'm using all APPLE INTEL GMA950 from 10.5.3, and I restore with 10.5.0 for buffer.kext,which is the 1.5.16 / what natit you using? would you please let me know or e-mail me?

thanks a lot!!

X3100 Without sleep trick!?

Does anyone solved this?!

the problem is that when I start a game (rise of nations), the screen goes black (as the sleep on startup) and I can´t wake the video during the game.

how can I solve this!?

could someone make this x310 video card without the sleep trick!?

Thanks!