Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I just updated to 10.6.3. I haven't messed around with it much but everything seems to work except audio. AppleHDA patching does not work in 10.6.3. This was expected (if you've been keeping up with any of the AppleHDA patching threads). So if you're using the ALC882 kext provided by 314TeR, after updating you will not have audio.

To remedy this, just restore the vanilla AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 to the S/L/E folder, set permissions, and reboot. Audio should be working again. I'll post the 10.6.2 kext in a little bit.

EDIT: uploaded the kext. hopefully i won't get in trouble for it.

AppleHDA_10.6.2.kext.zip

Hey all,

I just updated to 10.6.3. I haven't messed around with it much but everything seems to work except audio. AppleHDA patching does not work in 10.6.3. This was expected (if you've been keeping up with any of the AppleHDA patching threads). So if you're using the ALC882 kext provided by 314TeR, after updating you will not have audio.

To remedy this, just restore the vanilla AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2, set permissions, and reboot. Audio should be working again. I'll post the 10.6.2 kext in a little bit.

EDIT: uploaded the kext. hopefully i won't get in trouble for it.

AppleHDA_10.6.2.kext.zip

I just updated too and had the same issue. Thanks for the kext!

Where should I restore the kext to? Which folder?

Thanks,

E.

been away from the scene for a while since my p5w's been running leo without problems for months. thought i'd check in and look into upgrading to snow leopard. something interesting i did come across however is this... Gigabyte BIOS Mod ... is that something P5W users would be able to pull off too?

marc

P.S. being away for such a long time i'm having a really hard time catching up on everything. have i read correctly that a correctly configured dsdt.aml will allow my q6600 to use native speedstepping and negate the need for any kind of HDA enabler? is the dsdt for the q6600 in the beta 2 boot disc g0 stepping compatible? i can't find anything to say either way.

Put it in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Make sure you replace the AppleHDA.kext that's already in there. I just edited my previous post to include this info.

It didn't work for me...I must be doing something wrong! Thanks anyway.

Hi,

I am completely new to this scene. However I managed to install using the method:

boot from boot CD, install from retail, boot from CD and install p5w dh deluxe SL pack. However my WLAN does not work. I understand that there is realtek driver for mac 10.5.7 but I can not download it from the realtek site. Any help with that.

Also how do you guys update to 10.6.3. I am on 10.6 right now.

All help will be appreciated. I also got a G5 power mac case so I could post some pics later on. I have CNC skills so I am looking into making this a fun project. However I wanna make the IT part work 1st.

My system relevant:

(nothing is overclocked, all is stock)

p5w dh deluxe

intel quad q6600

asus nvidia 8600GT

160gb SATA drive

4gb RAM

Bios 3001(latest i could find on asus site)

Cheers

George from Finland

was wondering if someone could take a look at my dsdt for me please? i took the q6600 dsdt for the 3001 bios and changed the relevant parts to match surrealillusions q6600 with g0 stepping. i have fakesmc.kext in my extra/extensions.mkext and i'm running 10.5.8. i get this error message...

uditing service present
BSM auditing present
netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device
From path: "uuid", 
Waiting for boot volume with UUID 58CA535B-EA4E-3A44-BAE5-E1FDCD4A89BE
Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
Extension "com.jmicron.JMicronATA" has no explicit kernel dependency; using version 6.0.
[JMicronATA] JMicronATAPCIRoot start
[JMicronATA] JMicronATAPCIRoot saveHwRegisters
[JMicronATA]   BMBaseAddr = 9400[JMicronATA]   BMBaseAddr = 9408
[JMicronATA] _tfDataReg ffff
[JMicronATA] _tfFeatureReg ff
[JMicronATA] _tfSCountReg ff
[JMicronATA] _tfSectorNReg ff
[JMicronATA] _tfCylLoReg ff
[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg ff
[JMicronATA] _tfSDHReg ff
USBF:	0.578	AppleUSBOHCI[0x8ad3800]::CheckSleepCapability - controller will be unloaded across sleep
[JMicronATA] JMicronATA::scanForDrives( 0x8c19a00 )
[JMicronATA] Bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] Unit 0, bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg ff[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg ff
[JMicronATA] Unknown device
[JMicronATA] Unit 1, bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg ff[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg ff
JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0x9800, CTR 0x9480, IRQ 18, BM 0x9408)

[JMicronATA] _tfDataReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfFeatureReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfSCountReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfSectorNReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfCylLoReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg 0
[JMicronATA] _tfSDHReg 0
[JMicronATA] JMicronATA::scanForDrives( 0x8c19c00 )
[JMicronATA] Bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] Unit 0, bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg 0[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg 0
[JMicronATA] Unit 1, bus is ready for scan
[JMicronATA] ATAPI regs _tfCylLoReg 0[JMicronATA] _tfCylHiReg 0
JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0x9c00, CTR 0x9880, IRQ 18, BM 0x9400)
FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI now active, GUID 0011d800016cbb32; max speed s400.
Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/PRT0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/MAXTOR STM380215AS Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 2
Matching service count = 3
Matching service count = 4
MacPro3,1: stalling for module
Matching service count = 1
AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacPro3,1)
AppleTyMCEDriver::probe fails
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
Apple16X50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1
Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
NVDANV40HAL loaded and registered.
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA
AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA
AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failedyukon: Ethernet address 00:
1d:60:39:f1:b0ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

yukon: Ethernet address 00:1d:60:39:e9:e6
Ethernet [AppleYukon2]: Link up on en0, 100-Megabit, Full-duplex, Symmetric flow-control, Debug [796d,6d4c,0de1,0200,45e1,4000]
Matching service count = 0
[HCIController][configurePM] power parent ready after 1 tries
[09ad1e00][AppleBluetoothHIDMouse::probe] score is 1000
[09acc400][AppleBluetoothHIDMouse::probe] score is 50

Thanks,

Marc

dsdt.zip

tried the original q6600 for bios 3001 dsdt which was supposedly made on a b3 stepping processor but this has stopped the errors and i get two steppings showing under coolbook whereas none before. both show as having different voltage but both show as 0Mhz. does this mean it's working correctly or not? i can't find anything else capable of displaying the different steps under leopard.

marc

Hi,

I started modding the case scense i thought it will take some time for people get idea what works and what doesn't with the 10.6.3. If I got time I'll post some photos later. The idea is to have an old motherboard tray on the back.

I started modding the case scense i thought it will take some time for people get idea what works and what doesn't with the 10.6.3. If I got time I'll post some photos later. The idea is to have an old motherboard tray on the back.

If you needed some ideas, here is my G5 Case mod:

img2936qg.th.jpg img2937vm.th.jpg img2941.th.jpg img2944o.th.jpg img2939x.th.jpg

Hi,

Sorry for taking so long but finally started today:

Back is now a big but hole. Took some photos (some with my mobile phone some with my camera so enjoy the quality :P) Enjoy the project photos on Flickr (if I ever post more :))

Flickr

BMXER55 cheers for the photos really helps to see what others have done.

Nothing suspicious in the activity monitor or iStat, although there isn't specifically a power tab, 'only' CPU usage which looks ok. Nothing too busy 95 to 100% idle, still the PSU is going all out it seems. Can something like that happen by a wrong DSDT?

EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it's my graphics card fan which is super loud.. Radeon X1950

Hey guys,

i got a quite well working system based on my Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 3001 BIOS and OSX updated to 10.6.3.

There is now only a few things to fix now and I'm asking for help.

1. Is there any way I can connect my mic? It seems the back mic port doesnt work (I saw in the thread earlier it's not working but maybe somebody found a solution for it). I have the BIOS settings set to Non-Vista and HD audio. I got sound working OK.

2. If I connect a HDD to the jmicron port, OSX would only recognize it when it's set to AHCI mode. My OSX installation is not nn this HDD, I'm using it for storing data shared with a Windows 7 system.

The normal SATA ports work fine in both AHCI and basic settings, only the jMicron port is acting up.

3. I have a NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320 video card and I have successfully added an EFI string to com.apple.boot.plist but it won't recognize my HDTV connected to the component port. Is there any solution for this?

4. When I boot up with windows 7, the clock is always set back 2 hours. I read somewhere Windows stores the clock locally and basically there is no fix for this other than a registry setting which is not recommended to use as it screws up some things. I also read about an application for windows called appletime.exe but i couldn't find it anywhere. Is anyone having a full solution for this?

Thanks in advance for any help. :-)

EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it's my graphics card fan which is super loud.. Radeon X1950

I had the same problem with a Radeon X1950 with the fan always on...

I couldn't find a solution, so I changed the fan on the Radeon with a more quiet one, that can be controlled with a button.

François

got my hackintosh p5w dh running this weekend. thanks for all the posts, esp. 314Ter. i used the two files from his polish language site (i think it's polish), and it was like magic. easiest hackintosh install ever. used the boot cd, hit F5 and inserted retail SL dvd, and installed. then rebooted using the boot cd, booted to SL, and completed installation using the install pack in the second file (from a usb stick).

the only tweaks i had to do were downloading the wifi driver from the realtek site (only works with 32 bit kernel ;-(), and reinstalling the applehda kext from 10.6.2 after updating to 10.6.3.

nvidia 9500GT video card works out of the box. running an core2duo e6660 chip with 4 gigs of ram. everything works fine so far, usb, firewire, audio, ethernet, and wifi (i'm not using it because i'm booting in 64 bit kernel). i hosed the ez raid onboard raid by removing the jumperpins and telling the bios i did that, and just run it a single port. have 5x1TB SATA drives running in AHCI, and an IDE optical drive (i didn't those would work in SL!)i did have to delete the 32 bit kernel flag from 314Ter's applebootplist (or whatever it's called) and it boots to 64 bit kernel by default.

has anyone gotten wifi to work in 64 bit?

a question for 314Ter if he's still reading this posts: i see in your install pack a file with dsdt for my cpu, with 4 gigs of ram. should i just replace the current dsdt in the extra folder with that, fix permissions, and go? everything seems to be working fine for now.

thanks to all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I hope this thread is still reasonable active!

First of all thanks for a great tutorial 314ter, its really helped me achieve what I want so far.

Let me show you my system spec;

ASUS P5W-DH DELUXE

Intel E4500

Nvidia GeForce 7300GT

4 GB RAM

I have successfully managed to install a retail Snow Leopard, but my problem comes with the DSDT. I updated my BIOS to the latest revision, 3001, but I keep getting kernel panics whenever I multitask or put my system under any kind of strain.

Now from my limited knowledge I assume this is because I have not customised the default DSDT, that comes bundled with 314ter's iso.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for creating / amending my DSDT so I can get rid of these kernel panics, and tailor it to my current setup.

What I am unclear about is the steps required to do this;

1. How do I create a dump of my own DSDT?

2. Could someone show me what values to edit in order to align it with my system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Get a Linux liveCD; boot into it, start up a terminal, [you may need to find out the root/superuser password]:

sudo -s
cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

. . . there will be a file called 'dsdt.aml' particular to your system in root; copy it to a USB stick.

Disassemble with a recent version of IASL, edit as required.

Cheers for the reply shoarthing.

Does my problem sound typical of a DSDT issue?

Ill give your method a go tonight when i'm home. As for the editing, im a complete beginner. Are there certain values I will need to edit for each of my hardware components?

Thanks again.

Cheers for the reply shoarthing.

Does my problem sound typical of a DSDT issue?

Ill give your method a go tonight when i'm home. As for the editing, im a complete beginner. Are there certain values I will need to edit for each of my hardware components?

Thanks again.

. . . dsdt editing is not really appropriate for a beginner.

Your hassles sound more like basic system instability; suggest you run full memory checks, wind back any attempts at overclocking, very carefully check your heatsink(s), check you have an adequate PSU, run a low-level test on your HDD(s) & so on.

Since this happened after a BIOS flash, suggest you read up on the exact process for clearing the CMOS [completely clearing this takes a bit of effort] then putting in correct BIOS values.

If I had to make a guess on zero evidence but a very great deal of experience would suspect you had a cooling, overclocking, or power issue.

I havent overclocked whatsoever so I think that will be unlikely.

Before my Snow Leopard install I was running Leopard (iDeneb 10.5.5) and that was fine in terms of stability, so again I dont think my hardware is at fault.

I followed all instructions, on page 55 of this thread, including the BIOS update for my motherboard.

From reading up elsewhere my previous install disabled "AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext" whereas this current Vanilla SL install doesn't.

Again, from what I gathered a correct DSDT.aml file will solve this problem of Kernel panics. So you may be correct when you think it is a power issue.