Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

I found a very small difference in the DSDT dump from Windows and the ones pre-made for my CPU!

So that's step one I guess.

Altered my DSDT and now shut down works! Sleep still doesn't work but behaves differently now. I can't turn on the machine with the keyboard or mouse but when I use the power button everything seems to start up again except for the screen...

Could this be because the gfx card isn't properly configured? I use "graphics enabler=yes" at the moment.

Time to update my signature a bit.

Altered my DSDT and now shut down works! Sleep still doesn't work but behaves differently now. I can't turn on the machine with the keyboard or mouse but when I use the power button everything seems to start up again except for the screen...

Could this be because the gfx card isn't properly configured? I use "graphics enabler=yes" at the moment.

Time to update my signature a bit.

Tried now with "GraphicsEnabler=No" in the boot plist and that works better with sleep although the screen stays on the rest spins down. I can then resume work afterwards. So I guess the problem lies with the gfx card.

I have some random lock ups in OSX; guess that's due to the ram problems I have when running with 4Gb. Maybe I'll go back to 2Gb.

Now I'll dive into the mirror display problem; sleep isn't very important to me.

ALC882Woody_1.kext.zip

After a long work any many informations on this site i managed to built a modified version from 314Ter´s legacy hda audio kext.

This kext is based on knowledges from many other people on this site.

What will work:

- No sound assertions errors anymore

- Digital out coaxial and optical - working

- rear mic - working

- green line out at rear - working

- black line out at rear - working

- orange line out at rear - working

- line in - working

- grey line out at rear - not working

- front mic - not working

- headphones - not testet (have no HDA Panel only AC97)

Please give me a feedback if this kext works by you.

You have to use 314Ter´s DSDT for enabling audio. Since 10.6.3 you have to use the applehda.kext from 10.6.2 or you can use the latest one, but then you have to modify the binary from apple hda from 8508ec10 ti 8208ec10.

Thanks again to 314Ter for his hard work.

I hope you enjoy my work

Hello again,

here is my fully working applehda.kext from 10.6.4 binary patched.

Before you install it, you have to delete the ALC882v25.kext in the extra folder and you must use the DSDT from 314Ter. The easiest way to install the hdakext is to use Kexthelper.

Enjoy it

Kindly regards Woody01

Please give me a feedback how it is working on your System.

WoodyHDA.zip

Hello again,

here is my fully working applehda.kext from 10.6.4 binary patched.

Before you install it, you have to delete the ALC882v25.kext in the extra folder and you must use the DSDT from 314Ter. The easiest way to install the hdakext is to use Kexthelper.

Enjoy it

Kindly regards Woody01

Please give me a feedback how it is working on your System.

I'll test this kext soon, but I have one question. Does this kext have any advantages over using the 10.6.2 kext that works already?

I used ALC882v25.kext in /E/E with applehdakext from 10.6.2. This gave me 2 sound assertions errors. With the modified 10.6.4 applehda.kext without ALC882v25.kext errors are gone.

Thats for me the advantage, but i could modify the kext from 10.6.2 too or you can use my modified ALC882kext. It is one page before.

Not working:

front mic

grey output

Two mic´s are not working. You can only have front or rear mic. (can be changed)

I don´t know the difference between 10.6.2 and 10.6.4 kext.

I used ALC882v25.kext in /E/E with applehdakext from 10.6.2. This gave me 2 sound assertions errors. With the modified 10.6.4 applehda.kext without ALC882v25.kext errors are gone.

Thats for me the advantage, but i could modify the kext from 10.6.2 too or you can use my modified ALC882kext. It is one page before.

Not working:

front mic

grey output

Two mic´s are not working. You can only have front or rear mic. (can be changed)

I don´t know the difference between 10.6.2 and 10.6.4 kext.

Ah, I never tested anything else than normal output.

The problem with the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext is that it's now hardcoded to one specific Realtek chipset I believe. Using the vanilla 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext breaks the sound on the P5W.

Now that I fixed Mirror Display, the final item on my to fix list is Sleep. I have made my own DSDT file and shutdown works fine but sleep makes my machine sleep but I can't wake it up totally. I can hear the disks and fans spinning up but the keyboard and displays don't work.

I attached a dump of an 2602 Bios DSDT.

Also I have added the DSDT file I altered from 314TeR.

Maybe I made an error?

Can someone help me please and maybe take a look?

dsdt_dump.dsl.zip

dsdt_altered.dsl.zip

at Flashlab

Stupid question:

You write something about a bios 2602 Dump. My question is which Bios are you using with your board.

I asked this because 314Ter´ DSDT is from the 3001 Bios.

I use the 3001 Bios with a C2D E6600 and Geforce 8800GT and the DSDT from 314Ter

I have no problems with sleep.

Found this on chameleon.osx86 from User Jamonda

JAMONDA · 12. DECEMBER 2009, 21:24 · #

Hi, fellows.

I solved the graphics detection and sleep issues doing this: – decompile dsdt.aml – edit dsdt.dsl and look for Device (PCI0) – change Name (_UID, One) for Name (_UID, Zero) – recompile dsdt.dsl and use the resulting dsdt.aml

Found this fix in http://forum.hbmt.org/viewtopic.php?f=135&t=3763

It’s used to solve problems with GraphicsEnabler with Chameleon RC2/RC3.

I didn’t have this issue with RC2/RC3, but I can see that the fix solved the issue I had with RC4.

Can anybody explain why changing One to Zero fixes the GFX detection?

Thanks.

@ woody01

In 314TeR's guide it is mentioned that when you have a 65nm CPU you need a dump of a 25xx/26xx BIOS for Speedstep to work. So that's why I made the 2602 DSDT dump.

Afterwards I have updated the BIOS to 3001. Also I made sure I have the same BIOS settings from 314TeR's guide.

Altering my DSDT with the dump info did make a difference; I can shutdown and restart correctly now.

I feel I have missed something in my DSDT file.

I don't have problems Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler; it's just that I use NVEnabler because this lets me use Mirror Display and GraphicsEnabler doesn't.

I'll try to look up the Device (PCI0) entry in my DSDT and change it.

@ Flashlab - If you want to have a working speedsteep, you have to do is dump from 24xx/25xx - not 26xx.

Lack of sleep due to incomplete/incorrect support VGA. Try using a different method of injection, for example EFI String, NVEnabler, another chameleon, DSDT patch etc..

@ Woody01 - GREAT WORK! - Can you tell me what caused the "sound assertions errors." Traking him very long and I could not find the cause.

Unfortunately, currently I do not have access to the P5W DH, so do not check your work, but I question whether the green output configured as a Speaker, Line-out? I ask, because only when the green output is configured as a speaker, will be turned off when plugging the attached headphones in the front panel.

Using binpatched AppleHDA for ALC882, has the advantage over the version of 10.6.2 that works even better digital output, with full support SPDIF passthru with various applications. without binhack SPDIF passthru to work properly only with PLEX.

PS PCIRoot with AsereBLN Chameleon is recognized properly. No need to change.

@ Flashlab - If you want to have a working speedsteep, you have to do is dump from 24xx/25xx - not 26xx.

Lack of sleep due to incomplete/incorrect support VGA. Try using a different method of injection, for example EFI String, NVEnabler, another chameleon, DSDT patch etc..

Thanks for the pointers 314TeR! I'll try different options and report back here.

@314Ter

I cannot exactly say what caused the sound assertion errors. I found a Difference in your pinconfig and sequences. Your headphone looked like that : 01B71C30 01B71D40 01B71E21 01B71F01. Mine looks like 01B71C70 01B71D40 01B71E21 01B71F02. The Difference is that i have changed the last complex from F01 to F02. That means that the connection is at the front panel not at rear. If you look in my HDA Hardware Config Resource you will find a different verb order. By myself I can explain that the sound assertion error had something to do with the Headphone pinconfig and the verb order. I could test it and could exactly locate the error, but I have no time. To get this to work i looked at a working applehda.kext for ALC888 and 889. In each Hardware Config Resource the piconfig order was different as in your Hardware Config Resource. In both kext ALC888 and 889 the piconfig order was exactly the same. So i found out that the sound assertions were related to the pinconfig order and the verb for headphone.

My green out at rear is exactly like yours, the Speaker output. So it should work like a normal HDA Headphone with unmuting the green out at rear when a headphone is plugged in. I had no chance to test it, because i only have an AC97 front panel. I used the back mic instead of the front mic because my ac97 front panel is not connected to my board.

The next difference is to find in the layout. I think the line in must have a mutegpio. I added 838.926.362 for mutegpio. It is for node id 26(blue line in). You can find that in your verb.txt

It took me hours to find the solution for aworking hda for ALC882. I had no chance to get two mics and the grey output work together. With two mics i had an error in the fmikeydriver.

I read that you have a new Hack Project. You can use the kext and could modify it for your sound chip.

I have another question. How can i fix the DSDT so that the restart works without the chameleon restart fix.

Kindly regards,

Woody

MuteGPIO_Table_Sheet1.pdf

@314Ter

I cannot exactly say what caused the sound assertion errors...

Thanks for the tips. When I get back from vacation, compare your version and mine and find what cause the "sound assertion errors".

I read that you have a new Hack Project. You can use the kext and could modify it for your sound chip.

Yep, My new project is based on ASUS P7P55 WS SuperComputer + i5-750 - which is almost identical to the 11.1 iMac. It only needed a few cosmetic changes to the DSDT and works like a dream.

I have another question. How can i fix the DSDT so that the restart works without the chameleon restart fix.

It is associated with incompatible FACP table. To resolve this problem, you would have to modify this table to be compatible with OS X and replace it in the original BIOS.

@314Ter

These caused your assertions errors

One pinconfig was wrong.

01E71C70 01E71D10 01E71E4B 01E71F01 must be 01E71C70 01E71D61 01E71E4B 01E71F01

and line in must have mutegpio 838.926.362

That was it

Kindly regards,

Woody

@314Ter

I've been testing some things to see if I can fix my Sleep problem. I messed some things up and booted from your bootcd. I noticed that it makes Mirror Display work without NVEnabler.kext. So I tested Sleep as well and now it gets interesting. I can put the computer to sleep and when I press a key on the keyboard it doesn't wake but restarts.

I guess this could be because of a different DSDT.aml.

After some digging in the bootcd I noticed that it uses Chameleon RC3 with GraphicsEnabler=yes. The install package however installs Chameleon RC4.

Am I correct to assume that that is the only difference between booting from the cd and the situation after installing your package on my HD and booting from that?

@314Ter

I've been testing some things to see if I can fix my Sleep problem. I messed some things up and booted from your bootcd. I noticed that it makes Mirror Display work without NVEnabler.kext. So I tested Sleep as well and now it gets interesting. I can put the computer to sleep and when I press a key on the keyboard it doesn't wake but restarts.

I guess this could be because of a different DSDT.aml.

After some digging in the bootcd I noticed that it uses Chameleon RC3 with GraphicsEnabler=yes. The install package however installs Chameleon RC4.

Am I correct to assume that that is the only difference between booting from the cd and the situation after installing your package on my HD and booting from that?

Hmmm, having some trouble here. When I install the Chameleon RC3 /boot the computer hangs when booting on one of the Yukon lan ports.

Hmmm, having some trouble here. When I install the Chameleon RC3 /boot the computer hangs when booting on one of the Yukon lan ports.

Ok, I now found out that when booting from my HD but using the bootcd to load Chameleon it still uses the Extensions.mkext on Extra on the HD, but it uses the DSDT.aml from the cd. So that's why Mirror Display still works as it's caused by NVEnabler.kext inside the Extensions.mkext on the HD.

Question is if the different Sleep behaviour can be caused by GE=yes and NVEnabler being used at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

@woody01 - Thank you very much...

I have an idea to run both microphones at the same time... but I'd have to test a little.

Ok, I now found out that when booting from my HD but using the bootcd to load Chameleon it still uses the Extensions.mkext on Extra on the HD, but it uses the DSDT.aml from the cd. So that's why Mirror Display still works as it's caused by NVEnabler.kext inside the Extensions.mkext on the HD.

Question is if the different Sleep behaviour can be caused by GE=yes and NVEnabler being used at the same time?

Yes, it is possible. Use only one method for starting the VGA at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking of using my p5w as a home theater pc. Does digital sound work for 5.1 channel ?

Will work. You only need patched AppleHDA for ALC882 and LegacyHDA from woody or me. But you must remember that OS X itself does not generate a 5.1 sound, and can only release, for example, from the movie audio AC3 or DTS to SPDIF output.

• 3 weeks later...