[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

New Leopard extensions for Audio and Network based upon those in 9a581 GM.

Time Machine work with the network kext.

Put them in your extensions folder then:

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Also delete extensions.mkext

P5KVM_LEO.zip

Asus P5K-SE mb

SATA in Enchaced mode (new bios without AHCI)

ICH9 kext for multiple vendors (from http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114473 )

0x29208086 - ICH9R/DO/DH

0x29218086 - ICH9

0x29228086 - ICH9R/DO/DH

0x29238086 - ICH9

0x29258086 - ICH9R/DO

0x29268086 - ICH9

0x29288086 - ICH9M

0x29298086 - ICH9M

0x292c8086 - ICH9MR

0x292d8086 - ICH9M

0x292e8086 - ICH9M

(If anyone have another pci ID`s - please send me and I`ll put it into patch)

Known BUG - only first SATA channel working 8(.... It is on my P5K-SE

Install -

Remove Extensions.kextcache

Remove Extensions.mkext

Replace your AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from attachement

Fix system disk permisions using Disk Utility

Reboot

Enjoy and post bugs here

Get it from my signature

If anyone know how to enable secondary SATA - help me

I was trying to put some code from GenericATA kext like this

<key>ATA Channel Count</key>
		<integer>2</integer>

It is not working 8(((

May be some docs for kext developing help us

Thanks the kext worked like a charm, now I don't have to run in AHCI mode anymore!

HD performance increased quite a lot!

I now get 73Mb read/write sec, before it was about 70/60....

Both my DVD and HD was recognized correctly :)

Is it possible to add support for NCQ?

2Allshop

gm - i didn`t write my own driver - I only add ICH9 id`s to ICH8 driver so all functionality is from that driver 8(. May be NCQ functionality is in some other kext - so tell me and I`ll try to merge it into my patch...

Patched the Official Leopard 9A581 GM extensions to support ICH9 using the same method as Podarok.

Podaroks extension orginated from Tiger.

The following files were patched:

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

No more AHCI and a fully working ICH9!

ICH9_Leo.zip

Patched the Official Leopard 9A581 GM extensions to support ICH9 using the same method as Podarok.

Podaroks extension orginated from Tiger.

The following files were patched:

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

No more AHCI and a fully working ICH9!

ICH9_Leo.zip

Hi, can I use it with a Gigabyte P35-DS3 with ICH9 on Tiger?

Thanks the kext worked like a charm, now I don't have to run in AHCI mode anymore!

HD performance increased quite a lot!

I now get 73Mb read/write sec, before it was about 70/60....

Both my DVD and HD was recognized correctly :(

Is it possible to add support for NCQ?

To my knowledge you need to run in ACHI mode to get NCQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

The generic apple ACHI driver says NCQ enabled on my hard drive.

From a performance point of view running ACHI mode should always a priority.

not working on asus p5kr (ich9r) :(

still waiting for root device ... in all sata modes (ahci, ide, raid)

strange that i had it working with kalyway 527 ... dvd booted in RAID

mode, after install switched to IDE compatible and it worked..think AppleGenericPCATA matched it..

damn new p35 boards..

Thanks a LOT podarok (and others).

This is what I have done with my plain P5K and new BIOS (not the old AHCI one because I need to use WinXP as well, haven't been able to make it understand AHCI):

1) Using an internal SATA DVD drive I installed Uphuck 1.4iR3 to an external USB hard disk. I couldn't install to my main internal SATA disk because the installer disk didn't understand it correctly (because of no ICH9 support I guess?) My SATA HD was shown in the Disk Utility but it had wrong size and I couldn't do anything to it.

2) Installed some drivers such as tweaked Azalea for onboard sound and Radeon X1950 display driver.

3) Updated OS to 10.4.10 with PascalW.

Okay, now comes the interesting part:

I managed to get my otherwise nicely working external USB HD install to see my internal SATA disk properly after using Podarok's information here (I had to do the two lines Alsop mentions here to make the kext accepted). Now I can really see and manipulate the internal SATA HD properly boot after boot if I boot from the external HD.

Now one problem remains: How do I move the working OSX from the external USB HD to the internal SATA HD? I tried Carbon Copy Cloner but it didn't work.

Is it possibly to alter the Uphuck 1.4iR image so that it includes the Podarok's ICH9 driver? - so that it would be understood before I install the OS, then I could just install like I did before but directly to the internal SATA HD.

I can live with booting from the external USB disk but I'd much rather just have it on the internal SATA for more speed and neatness. It does understand the ICH9 SATA now so it must be possible somehow, no?

My goal is to have my main internal SATA HD as 2 partitions 1st OSX 2nd WinXP. (The reason for OSX on 1st is that I found that one of my commercial Mac programs only installs if the OS is on the first partition, strange eh.)

BTW, Steve just got some of my money because I already bought some Mac software. Wouldn't have happened without Hackintosh ;-)

Okay, getting closer. I managed to make a clone of my working USB disk OS partition to the internal SATA partition.

I found out that I can boot in safemode (-x) with the SATA partition.

I managed to use the info that delish linked to include Podarok's AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into the Extensions.mkext on the SATA partition.

AND the next time I boot it goes perfectly even into normal nonsafe mode!

The problem is, the next time after that it's again not working - waiting for root device at one point.

There must be some little thing I am overlooking, because it works ONE time after the fix. I am a total Mac newbie so excuse my stupidity.

Oh, and when I look at the -v info while booting it says at one point something like

"skipping duplicate AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext extension with older/same". Does that give a clue?

Xbench gave much nicer disk scores on SATA than on USB so I'd really like to get it to work.

I didn't try patching the install DVD yet, I just kind of used that info to patch the installed OS...

Hmm, I only installed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

but I think I installed it inside /System/Library/Extensions

How do I install it inside /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

I can't see that folder directly, on the desktop, right?

EDIT: Gonna try tonight again, and try out your kexthelper as well!

OKAY!

I used Kext Helper and edited the script so that it didn't install the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext inside /System/Library/Extensions but deeper into /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Now I get no more "skipping duplicate" thing at startup and it worked for 2 consecutive boots! I think it's working now. THANK YOU Podarok and Delish. This is getting really nice. I also bought an USB wlan card for 20 euros that has Mac drivers so network is working as well.

NICE

ok, i know this is ridiculous, but the prepatched kexts Allsop provided on page one of this topic simply wont work for me. AppleHDA seems to be just fine, but ALCinject fails to load at startup. Ive done the usual deletion of Extensions.mkext and kextcache and permissions repair, and ive even tried doing the install from scratch as suggested in post 1. ive noticed that in info.plist under iopcimatch the first value has the vendor id but no device id(0x0008086) but replacing it with the right dev id (0x293e8086) doesnt work either. could someone explain how they did this? like, literally what the IOPCIMatch section has in it to make sound work - this is really frustrating because it seems like nobodys had this problem but me but my board is a p5kvm like everyone elses. could this be a bios setting that needs to be changed or has anyone actaully had these files work without any changes? any help in this regard is most appreciated, im only this far from a legit hackintosh :-)

Just to avoid confusion,

I have a plain P5K with the newest BIOS (not AHCI),

JMicron SATA controller disabled in BIOS

SATA HD connected to the first SATA connector, SATA DVD in the second

And I only installed AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with the method I described in my previous post

Oh, and and I don't have Leopard yet, but 10.4.10

This works now very nicely.

Elbasofolous:

If you have the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in extensions you need to delete that file...The kext works, used it in 3 other P5K-VM setups :)

Those of you having problem with my Leo IOATAFamily.kext probably don't have the same dev id's as I do... anyway I've ripped the same kext from ToH's RC2 Leo DVD and I think it supports more ICH9 boards...IOATAFamily.kext.zip

You can read how to modify dvd kexts here my A8R32-MVP Deluxeabout the P5K-VM ports, I found some more infoSATA 1 root port 2940 (this is port 2)SATA 5 root port 2948 (this is port 3)SATA 6 root port 294a (this is port 4)
OK thanx!I`ll add that ID`s into next version kextto allI think that our problem is in
PCS port map = 92019301 92029302 92049304 92089308
in AppleIntelPIIXATA.kextI think that it is the 4 port config but our MB`s has 6 or even 8 SATA ports so....If I kill it - no one port couldn't be detected even on right(working) portIn IORegistry Explorer (attachement) I showign U view without PCS port map

post-37751-1194112555_thumb.png

I can't found any documentation in Xcode development repository (and apple.com quiet too 8))) )May be someone can help me to find possible "PCS port map" values

Elbasofolous:

If you have the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext in extensions you need to delete that file...The kext works, used it in 3 other P5K-VM setups :)

I just cant imagine what im doing wrong here - when i install 10.4.10 i dont install any of the audio files so the azalia audio kext isnt even there. I thought this was strange when i ran the install/patcher myself because the installer said to delete what i didnt have. Have you done this with 10.4.10? Im sorry to be so picky but id really like to be able to do sound recording with this box.

should i be installing the nonworking alc883 drivers in the installer or is there anything else your doing between install and copying over the kexts?

Ill totally try reinstalling if its worthwhile but ive tried several times now to install the os and immediately apply the kexts and nothing has worked - it just says at login that ALCInject didnt load properly and to reinstall(and it said the same thing when i did the patcher with the codec dump)

- it just says at login that ALCInject didnt load properly and to reinstall(and it said the same thing when i did the patcher with the codec dump)

Then you have wrong permissions on that kext, how did you install it?

if you manually install, then you need to fix permissions in terminal.

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/<<name of kext here>>
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/<<name of kexxt here>>
touch /System/Library/Extensions

if you use Kext Helper for installing chmod, chown & touch get done for you.