[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Thanks BlackCH. I will remove dsmos. I kinda suspected I had one too many. The VoodooUSBEHCI is not working with 10.5.7, so it is not there. but I was using it successfully with 10.5.6. 10.5.5, did not need anything other than OpenHaltRestart. For audio, I am attaching pix to show the audio channels. I have no audio issues.

Your audio looks great. Mine is just like Popophobia's (one post up). Could you maybe put your audio kexts in a zip file - the ones you marked in orange a few posts back? I'd love to get the audio working better - particularly the front headphone jack which was fine in my 10.5.6 setup but not working now.

Thanks,

David

Thanks BlackCH. I will remove dsmos. I kinda suspected I had one too many. The VoodooUSBEHCI is not working with 10.5.7, so it is not there. but I was using it successfully with 10.5.6. 10.5.5, did not need anything other than OpenHaltRestart. For audio, I am attaching pix to show the audio channels. I have no audio issues.

I've tried your audio kexts; even though they look good (different names for each device) theres one channel which does not output on my system: 'Headphones' back-panel output doesnt work. I have all three outputs working with the old patched HDA kext (From the P5K-VM package I uploaded before).

Are you certain all outputs are working on your system?

At this point i'm not sure if i should move ahead with BlackCH's XxX install (from scratch) or try a munky's method retail install.

For basic retail setup (I've tried this with a IDE DVD drive; Im not certain it will work with a SATA DVD drive!):

Get a 10.5.4 (or later) retail disk (not the one from your macbook!)

Get the bootloader image (link from post #362)

Get the 10.5.7 P5K-VM package (post #360) or the one from bikinifarm (post #361)

Get Chameleon2 installer from its website

Get Kexthelper

Restore the bootloader image to a memory stick (needs windows, follow included instructions)

Insert your retai disk, plug the memory stick

Press F8 at boot and select the memory stick from the BIOS boot menu

You will see 'MRBStart' and then 'Press any key for setup'. Press any key

It will take you to a menu; select 'Boot manager' and there select the OSX install disc

It should boot the OSX disc (it takes a few minutes to get to the GUI, you should hear the DVD drive is reading)

Format your harddisk as GUID with diskutility. Install the thing.

Once is done it will restart. Again press F8 and boot from the memory stick, do the same as before but this time select the partition you installed OSX in, from the 'Boot Manager' menu

It should boot to GUI, and you will have to go through the Setup Assistant thing. Do all that.

When you finally get to the desktop; run the Chameleon2 installer, select 'Customize' and install ONLY the 'Chameleon Standard' and 'Themes'.

After that is done you will find the /Extra folder on the root of the HD. Follow the instructions enclosed on my P5K-VM pack to copy the files/drivers you need to the right places (You can also use the files provided by bikinifarm here).

Reboot and this time try booting from your OSX hard disk. You should see chameleon 2 bootloader menu and from there you will be able to select your osx partition. Everything should be working exept for sleep (which can be fixed as bikinifarm explained before). You can apply the 10.5.7 update safely. it will work just fine

I've tried your audio kexts; even though they look good (different names for each device) theres one channel which does not output on my system: 'Headphones' back-panel output doesnt work. I have all three outputs working with the old patched HDA kext (From the P5K-VM package I uploaded before).

Are you certain all outputs are working on your system?

BlackCH - Yeah, they do, all tested.

Internal Speakers - green, in the back (#8)

Headphones - green in the front of my case connected as HD Audio to the motherboard internal connector

Line out - black in the back (#5)

Digital out - RCA connector in the back (#14)

Internal Microphone - pink in the back - internal microphone (#9)

Line-in - Blue line in the back (#7)

post-287063-1242666439_thumb.png

Headphones - green in the front of my case connected as HD Audio to the motherboard internal connector

Thanx for the replay. It seems with those kexts the headphones port works on the front panel only, which I dont have...

@bikinifarm: I suppose you use the ALC883 with address 0 for this board (posted in stickpin topic)? There is still lots of error log. I'm using the driver with address 0 and everything works fine, except for the excessive error log.

@bikinifarm: I suppose you use the ALC883 with address 0 for this board (posted in stickpin topic)? There is still lots of error log. I'm using the driver with address 0 and everything works fine, except for the excessive error log.

I see zero errors in the console. I do believe that I have the address 0, but don't frankly remember. If you check out post #145 and beyond in stickpins postings with link below, the excessive console messages are causes by SMBIOS cracks, and are remedied by AnV's AppleSMBios.kext.

stickpin audio

In my case, I have removed both SMBIOSResolver and AnV AppleSMBios.kext. I am now solely relying on Cameleon 2.0 RC1 with the smbios.plist that I had posted in post #361. No console messages. No issues.

Chamelon 1.0.12 doesnt support smbios.plist.

Maybe you should try installing Chameleon 2 manually, and not with the installer

I have the same setup as bikinifarm (concerning SMBIOS) and I dont see any errors with those audio kexts

@BlackCH: I tried manually installing it on both of my internal HDD, on a USB stick. Also tried pretty much any other installer out there. No luck. I guess it's a bug. Oh well, I'll wait for the official 2.0 release.

@bikinifarm: I'll try to delete the SMBIOSResolver.kext and see how it's doing. I suppose that kext belongs to the retail 10.5.6 install?

-----

Scratch that, I used bikini kexts and Chameleon RC1. Everything is fine now. No more console messages.

Turn out, you're not supposed to put refresh rate in boot plist Graphic mode... this causes chameleon to reboot continuously.

Scratch that, I used bikini kexts and Chameleon RC1. Everything is fine now. No more console messages.

Turn out, you're not supposed to put refresh rate in boot plist Graphic mode... this causes chameleon to reboot continuously.

Good catch!!! If you are using my Extensions.mkext, I have updated the post #361 with the following note, in case you need to streamline your Extensions.mkext:

EDIT 3: You can safely remove dsmos.kext (thx BlackCH!), and AppleSMBIOS.kext from the Extensions.mkext, but IOATAFamily.kext needs to stay as removal causes missing SATA ports 3 and 4 (and a long delay during boot while the computer is looking for the ports). (Retail install)

Reboot and this time try booting from your OSX hard disk. You should see chameleon 2 bootloader menu and from there you will be able to select your osx partition. Everything should be working exept for sleep (which can be fixed as bikinifarm explained before). You can apply the 10.5.7 update safely. it will work just fine

Many thanks for the walkthrough - will try it on a spare HD over the weekend. :)

Just wanted to mention that my normally trustworthy XxX install has been giving me rather frequent Kernel Panics of late. Like I have had almost 1 KP every day for the past week and 2 today. It has got me worried... Is there a repository/place where I can report the KP and find out what is causing it? I'm still 1 step away from trying the retail install.

Just wanted to mention that my normally trustworthy XxX install has been giving me rather frequent Kernel Panics of late. Like I have had almost 1 KP every day for the past week and 2 today. It has got me worried... Is there a repository/place where I can report the KP and find out what is causing it? I'm still 1 step away from trying the retail install.

Go for the retail. Use bikinifarm or blackCH kexts. It's way better than the distro.

I had KP everyday in the past too. Most of them have something to do with the graphic kext, some were firefox, the rest is just random processes.

Since retail install, I haven't got a single KP (though, just 3-4 days). But still... I'd say go for it. Especially if you have the retail disc. Since the boot disc is a piece of cake (use slimbuild script or pcwiz GUI for slimbuild). For EFI partition installation, if you want something quick and simple, use the EFI Studio (with kexts from bikinifarm or blackCH of course) with EFI String for graphic card and LAN in custom boot.plist. You should have a retail system in less than half an hour of work.

Just a follow up on the retail install, it hasn't had any kernel panic in the last week. I used to get 1 or 2 KP per week with XxX and Voodoo kernel. I think if anyone is still thinking about moving to retail, go ahead and pull the plug. Totally worth it.

Updated 10.5.7 Extensions.mkext. The cleaned up version contains:

AppleDecrypt.kext (same)

AppleYukon2.kext (same)

Disabler.kext (BlackCH version that disables only HPET for Firewire)

IntelCPUDisabler.kext (BlackCH version)

HDAEnabler.kext (same, required for stickpin's audio)

IOATAFamily.kext (10.5.7 version from DuNe) http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

IONetworkingFamily.kext (cleaner version)

JMicronATA.kext (same, from slashack)

LegacyAppleAHCIPort (same)

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA (same)

LegacyHDAController (same, required for stickpin's audio)

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver (same, required for stickpin's audio)

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage (same)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (same)

removed previous disabler since it contained unnecessary code, as well as dsmos since it was redundant.

If you intend to use this, please read post #361 for additional things that need to be done for audio and sleep, as well as for obtaining SMBIOS.plist and boot prefs.

Extensions.mkext.zip

@Farx: I reinstalled the 10.5.5 of IOUSBFamily.kext (original Apple) swapping out the 10.5.7, and sleep ability came back. The fans stay a little faster for unknown reasons after wake, but no worries. Repeated wakes work fine....

I've spent a good chunk of my weekend trying to get my P5K-VM to 10.5.7 -- thanks to everyone for all the informative posts. However, I can't seem to get the sleep function working as described.

Originally I did a fresh 10.5.0 install, updated with the 10.5.5 combo updater, then saved off the IOUSBFamily.kext for later user. Then wiped and reinstalled from 10.5.6, saved off the AppleHDA.kext, upgraded, and installed the Extensions.kext.

The AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.6 seems to work okay - audio is functional. But if I put the 10.5.5 IOUSBFamily.kext in place, I crash early on in the boot process - maybe as soon as it tries to load it up. With the 10.5.7 IOUSBFamily.kext, the machine freezes up while going to sleep, and requires a hard reset to bring back to life.

Thinking maybe I screwed up the copy of the 10.5.5 IOUSBFamily.kext, I manually extracted it from the 10.5.5 combo updater and reapplied with the exact same results - machine freezes on the way down and requires a hard reset.

I also tried the Slice 10.5.7 patch - this is a bit closer to functioning, as it briefly goes to sleep, but then immediately wakes back up.

Any suggestions on what I might be screwing up? I was hoping to have my machine ready for whenever the GTX 260 drivers come out, but I'm sorely tempted to go back to my xxx 10.5.6 install which was rock-solid.

@omv

Maybe you need 10.5.5 IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext too.

Yep, that did it. Got a system that boots and sleeps now. I guess I should have figured this out from the boot log when it crashed... oh well.

Thanks!

Yep, that did it. Got a system that boots and sleeps now. I guess I should have figured this out from the boot log when it crashed... oh well.

Thanks!

Not that it matters since you already have a working set-up, but I am using the 10.5.7 version of IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext with no problem. May be related to BIOS version (I am on 902) or BIOS sleep settings (all default in my case).

Guys i'm having some trouble. I tried to follow Black CH's walk through. Everything works until i replace the kexts in the Extras and S/L/ folders. When i try to reboot after that i get stuck on the Apple logo screen with the 'cross' icon on top. I'm not sure what that means.

Right now i'm reinstalling and hoping to make sense of using BikiniFarm's files.

The thing is, since i'm a complete noob, i need an easier walkthrough after booting from the Hard Disk and right before i use the custom kexts.

BikiniFarm has strings for his 8800GT, i'm not sure how i can get rid of those. I also do not know how to install the Extensions.mkext.

Any pointers?

UPDATE: Most ridiculous thing ever... now when i try to reinstall it says OSX cannot be installed because the contents of the base system could not be verified (or something). The is using the same DVD that just installed on this hard-drive. wtf?

UPDATE 2: This time after installing Chameleon (v2.0 r431) i didn't change any kexts, didn't make any other changes and opted to reboot. Sure I got the Chameleon screen (as before) but same result. The Apple logo screen with the fan and the cross sign is where i'm stuck.

UPDATE 3: I tried verbose mode and i'm stuck at 'still waiting for root device'. Could this be because of my bios? Changed Sata mode from IDE to AHCI... no difference in the result.

UPDATE 4: Tries Bikinifarm's kexts. Copied his mkext file into the extras folder after installing chameleon. Repaired disk permissions. Did not copy his boot.plist file (because of the video card)... result = same... 'Still waiting for root device'. I'm going to stop trying until i receive some help/advice from you guys.

Will appreciate any help.

Go for the retail. Use bikinifarm or blackCH kexts. It's way better than the distro.

I had KP everyday in the past too. Most of them have something to do with the graphic kext, some were firefox, the rest is just random processes.

Since retail install, I haven't got a single KP (though, just 3-4 days). But still... I'd say go for it. Especially if you have the retail disc. Since the boot disc is a piece of cake (use slimbuild script or pcwiz GUI for slimbuild). For EFI partition installation, if you want something quick and simple, use the EFI Studio (with kexts from bikinifarm or blackCH of course) with EFI String for graphic card and LAN in custom boot.plist. You should have a retail system in less than half an hour of work.

Can you point me to a thread that give a walk-through of how to use the GUI version of the EFi Studio?