In 5 weeks Vista surpassed the total Apple Mac installbase

robotskip

29 posts in this topic

The rationale is simple: Microsoft's latest OS, Windows Vista, was five years in the making, and was only released to the general public in January. And despite measurable real-world success, Microsoft is fighting against a growing perception--wrong-headed, as it turns out--that Vista is in trouble. Turns out nothing could be further from the truth: As of last week, Microsoft has sold almost 40 million copies of Windows Vista. That, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said during his Tuesday keynote address, means within its first five weeks of availability, there were already more Vista users worldwide than there are for any non-Microsoft operating system. The message is clear if not explicitly stated: The Mac may get all the positive press, but Vista surpassed the entire Mac user base in just over a month.
Link: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Artic...6069/96069.html

Amusing. :P

If you're going to say "LOL THEYRE ALL PREINSTALLED ROFLS" than you'll have to admit, among other things, that the increase of Apple Mac sales is as irrelevant because in general the computer market is increasing and if you look at it Apple's increases are [apparently] dwarfed by that of HP.

Actually, if you're going to say that, just don't post, thanks. :)

Thanks for beating out the obvious, RobotSkip, lol. No one in their right mind would deny that Vista's userbase would surpass the total Mac userbase...even in just a matter of months. Remember, its quality that matters...not quantity. :)

robotskip: why do you bother coming here? you bore the bollocks off me with this vista {censored}.

you clearly have no interest in Mac OS X or osx86 as a whole, and only hang around to try to start windoze vs mac holy wars.

Apart from the fact that 90% of the world uses Windows and that Vista is preinstalled on every new machine being sold M$ also force people using XP to buy Vista. For example a friend had used up all his validations for his XP and when he called M$ they refused to reactivate it. Their advice to him was to buy Vista, the catch of course is he can't buy the upgrade because he can't use XP without validating it, which of course M$ won't reactivate.... great way to upsell Microsoft.

robotskip: why do you bother coming here? you bore the bollocks off me with this vista {censored}.

you clearly have no interest in Mac OS X or osx86 as a whole, and only hang around to try to start windoze vs mac holy wars.

:2cents:

To be honest I like that robotskip is here. It gives us another aspect of how we see thing (from a MS prospective), which can't be too bad. Also I like it because there are just too many people here who are too devoted to Apple. So much so that you can't have a realistic conversation about an apple {censored}-up. And so it's nice to see people of all tastes.

Anyway I think we just need to just laugh out what can be laughed out and what can't we discuss.

Honestly, I'd prefer for track09 to post rather than robotskip. He's still a bit annoying, but at least he presents a more balanced view of things.

Robotskip just comes here to bash Mac and promote Windows as godly.

Link: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Artic...6069/96069.html

Amusing. :P

If you're going to say "LOL THEYRE ALL PREINSTALLED ROFLS" than you'll have to admit, among other things, that the increase of Apple Mac sales is as irrelevant because in general the computer market is increasing and if you look at it Apple's increases are [apparently] dwarfed by that of HP.

Actually, if you're going to say that, just don't post, thanks. :)

well if you want to say that, guess what, ALL OF OSX IS PREINSTALLED SALES, so yea, im wiht robotskip on this one.

:)

To be honest I like that robotskip is here. It gives us another aspect of how we see thing (from a MS prospective), which can't be too bad. Also I like it because there are just too many people here who are too devoted to Apple. So much so that you can't have a realistic conversation about an apple {censored}-up. And so it's nice to see people of all tastes.

Anyway I think we just need to just laugh out what can be laughed out and what can't we discuss.

this is InsanelyMAC

it is immpossible to be too devoted to apple on this site - even to the point where it is insane

this is InsanelyMAC

it is immpossible to be too devoted to apple on this site - even to the point where it is insane

Well I and many others joined before the transition and I don't think simply because it's named insanely it means we are allowed to be crazy mac fanatics.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, the milestone has been achieved because Vista is shipped also with a 386... these values reflect almost the new PCs, instead of the new Vista installations really sell.

Of course, the strong arm tactics of MS doesn't hurt Vista sales either. Also, the fact that many stupid users are used to the Windows Insecurity Blanket doesn't hurt sales either.

In all honesty, this article is little more than a pissing contest.

About these stats... I would point out this article.

Developing Asia can't afford Vista, analyst says (Full Story)

Microsoft has to do more if it wants to boost Windows Vista sales in Asia's emerging markets as affordability is still an issue, an analyst says.

According to a statement Thursday on Microsoft's first-quarter earnings for fiscal 2007, Allan Krans, an analyst at research house Technology Business Research (TBR), noted that while enhancements included in Vista offer security and functionality improvements, the operating system also requires a heavier hardware configuration compared with Windows XP. Although the costs of a dual-core processor, added memory, and graphics processors may not be prohibitive for users in the Americas or Europe, any additional cost on a PC can have a substantial impact in emerging geographies like China, Krans said.

"As a result, TBR believes many Chinese consumers may have chosen either pirated versions of Vista that sell for as little as US$1, or free versions of Linux that are offered free of charge," the analyst added. "Although Vista contains enhanced antipiracy technology, press reports indicate that illegal copies of Vista were readily available in China, and piracy remains quite prevalent in the country."

Recently, a Japanese press report indicated that Microsoft had only sold 244 legitimate copies of Windows Vista in China in the first two weeks following its release--a claim that Microsoft has denied, according to a CNET News.com blog post.

When contacted by ZDNet Asia, a Microsoft spokesperson declined to reveal Vista shipment figures in the Asia-Pacific region. TBR's Krans noted that Microsoft did take action to improve sales in the emerging geographies during the first quarter. For example, the software giant announced a joint development agreement with Lenovo aimed specifically at the Asia-Pacific region, as well as a software bundle that includes a US$3 base-level OS and productivity software suite aimed at governments and educational institutions in select developing geographies.

Called the Microsoft Student Innovation Suite, the software bundle includes Windows XP Starter Edition, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Microsoft Math 3.0, Learning Essentials 2.0 for Microsoft Office, and Windows Live Mail desktop.

Krans said: "While this initiative may well expand the company's installed base in China and other critical economies, Microsoft will not generate significant revenue or profitability by selling a low-end US$3 software bundle."

"TBR believes Microsoft is still facing the challenge of establishing a business model to harness the growth in Asia-Pacific PC sales, and funneling that growth through to the company's bottom line," the analyst added.

Microsoft's Student Innovation Suite is part of the company's Unlimited Potential program, which aims to help close the digital divide by creating new products and programs that will help bring social and economic opportunity to the estimated five billion people who are not yet realizing the benefits of technology.

Under the Unlimited Potential program, Microsoft said it will establish an employability portal in India by the end of 2007. The portal will aid the country's nearly 400,000 engineering students, who graduate each year, to improve their technology, business and communication skills through online training and verification. The software giant also recently announced an alliance with the Asian Development Bank to enhance the competitiveness and sustainable economic development of the Asia-Pacific region by supporting and building technological and innovation capacity; promoting the development of applied research and entrepreneurship; and improving the efficiency, transparency and accountability of public administration at the national and local levels.

The rationale is simple: Microsoft's latest OS, Windows Vista, was five years in the making, and was only released to the general public in January. And despite measurable real-world success, Microsoft is fighting against a growing perception--wrong-headed, as it turns out--that Vista is in trouble. Turns out nothing could be further from the truth: As of last week, Microsoft has sold almost 40 million copies of Windows Vista. That, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said during his Tuesday keynote address, means within its first five weeks of availability, there were already more Vista users worldwide than there are for any non-Microsoft operating system. The message is clear if not explicitly stated: The Mac may get all the positive press, but Vista surpassed the entire Mac user base in just over a month.

I'm not here to side who... but..

Doesn't mean people buy Windows Vista, they're using it. 2 friends of mine brought Mircosoft Vista because they wanted to collect all the OS versions. =] 1 of them has a glass panel showing different OS from 95 to Vista. (he only collects Windows).

Baaaaaaaaahhh! The vast majority of computer users are sheep and will continue to be completely oblivious to the existence of another operating system outside the monolythic sun-blocking-giant that is M$. Mac users on the other hand tend to be well informed technorati or at least aware of their sheep status and sold on the idea that Apples are so easy even a sheep could use them. Unfortunately thesesorts of ad strategies haven't roped in the crowds that they should.

As we all know, history repeats itself and I can't but help identify the current surge in Vista sales to the Netburst days with Intel. Back then Intel cut themselves off short with a processor design that had no hope of future inovation and wouldn't stand up to the die revisions and such that let a processor mature on the market to a ripe old age. Certainly not long enough for all the money they wasted developing it. Intel was stuck with a dead product in comparison to the 64bit dual-core products AMD was putting on the shelves. So what does Intel do? The use every strong arm tactic they know to keep AMD away from their biggest customers(think Dell), pump millions of marketing dolars into whipping everyone up into a phallocentric cold war race for gigahertz. Intel managed to weather out the netburst years and now has a rather good product lineup for the desktop and notebook markets.

Like the 'old' Intel-they're still crafty bastards who don't play fair, don't get me wrong on this- Microshaft has a stinker on their hands. Floating out in the middle of the bay. Some mad experiment gone awry. Not quite dead, but certanly not alive in any practical sense. Attracting flocks of foul carion eaters and media seaguls. It's name Vista. Microsoft is now working harder than ever stuffing this stinking corpse full of cash just so it'll stay afloat. The've got the money for it, but even with the largest private spending account behind it the're still having a hard time convincing even Joe 'sheep' Schmoe to hand over his hard earned cash to switch. XP has just hit the golden years and isn't ready to be sent into early retirement by the ghastly undead horror Microsoft coders have cooked up. Most major suppliers are now offering sheep a choice, no doubt because IT guys around the country have just been thrown into a scene from "Night of the Living Dead" and are struggling to get back to the land of living, functioning PCs.

Meanwhile the tech journalist(who even buys PC Mag, seriously?) are sitting around on shore, bedazzled by the glitter coated user interface Microsoft had the foresight to apply to the corpse before shoving it overboard. You can't really blame them. The sell news and a new OS is certainly news. But instead of the big circle jerk over all the new features in Vista it would be nice if one of them would drag the body to shore and give it the propper autopsy it deserves so we can see all the gory details of the murder on the evening news. Unfortunately, Microsoft always knows which hands to grease to keep people silent.

Let's face it, sheep will never be massivley informed on the right software and computers to buy. Partly because the respected and knowlegeable media sources are effectively drowned out by advertising dolars at work to keep everyone's head spinning in a haze of disinformation. Secondly, because they just don't care to look in to how they spend their money.

So what hope is there for us technorati, who would be publicly defaced and sued for slander if we ever revealed the sinister doings at Gatescorp? Well, there's always the chance that the whole thing will blow over and Microsoft will fix their product. XP SP2 was decried as the end of the world by many but has since then turned into a relatively respectable piece of software. Somehow I doubt this is to be the case with Vista. More likely, Vista will find it's way into the rubbish bin alongside Windows ME. The only problem is that no suitable replacement is on the horizon for quite some time. Microsoft has done much to assure us that Vista will enjoy a very long lifespan after they wasted so much dough trying to bring the dead back to life. It's certanly a good time to own a Mac.

"Although Vista contains enhanced antipiracy technology, press reports indicate that illegal copies of Vista were readily available in China, and piracy remains quite prevalent in the country."

Recently, a Japanese press report indicated that Microsoft had only sold 244 legitimate copies of Windows Vista in China in the first two weeks following its release--a claim that Microsoft has denied, according to a CNET News.com blog post.

LOL now that was funny...who cares how many copies of Vista sell in China?

I'll bet more Pirated copies of all software is sold in China than anywhere else.

Exactly, there is no use in being that way. Either contribute the the site, or leave. Simple as that.

• 3 weeks later...

Vista have not yet surpased the Mac OS X. Yeah, its true that MS sold 40 million OEM licenses, but how many of that windows vista remain installed in the computer?. I know many people that bought a pc lately and all they had paid a Vista license, but 100% of them erased the HD and installed XP ;).

Here, for example, you have real statistics about the installed base of Vista: http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php , as you can see is far far less than current OEM licenses people are forced to buy :whistle:.

In over 5 weeks of using Vista(well only took one hour) I realized it sucked.

In only one week of using OS X I realize its 95% perfect(the fact that Counter-Strike doesn't work cuts it from getting 100% :( )

Take that OP and Windows fans XD