Leopard Release Officially Delayed, Dated

77 posts in this topic

Do many people actually buy a Mac OS X upgrade though? As opposed to it being pre-installed on a new Mac?

I wouldn't be shocked if they sold more iPhones than boxed copies of Leopard.

I agree that not a lot of people buy a boxed copy of OS X but a lot of people do wait near the end of a OS X release (any OS release) to buy the next instead. I myself am waiting and I know a few more people who are and I'm sure loads of you are too. The point is what's important is if they had prioritised OS X then they would sold a lot more of their Premium priced Mac hardware (forget the cheap OS X box) and now that's just going have to wait.

Of course I can buy a MacBook now and then install Leopard later, but the last thing I want to find out is that some major features are hardware-related and that I'd miss out on some shiny new model that would come out later.
I'm still new to all this but I thought the release of Leopard was just the release of Leopard i.e. not the release of a new MacBook, iMac,...,etc also. Surely this means that Leopard will be just shipping in the same Mac hardware..... at least for a while. Doesn't that mean the hardware requirements will be more or less the same? I mean how can they sell you Leopard on a system that isn't going to fully be able to take advantage of it?

Final Note:

For personal reasons I'm actually pleased for the delay :pirate2: :star_smile: . I was going to buy a MacBook when leopard was released but what kept bothering me is that:

1) I really don't need a new laptop now as my desktop is like only a year and a half old and it's more than enough for now. So I would have preferred buying it as late as possible. because what I'm worried about is that if I buy it soon then I may not use it all that often as it's similar to my pc (as I'd rather use my 19" monitor and pc to do what I need to). But if I get it when my system is a little old then I'm more likely to make better use of it, which is important to me.

2) I've got the cash but would prefer to save a bit more to give myself enough comfort to depart with around £900.

Do many people actually buy a Mac OS X upgrade though? As opposed to it being pre-installed on a new Mac?

I wouldn't be shocked if they sold more iPhones than boxed copies of Leopard.

The iPhone is good for Apple's publicity because they are entering new field (like AppleTV). That's why Apple's priority is the iPhone.

I wonder what the sales figures are for OS X Tiger (10.4) compared to other versions. Good question: how many people buy upgrades as opposed to having them pre-installed? People at the Apple Store say that current models should have no trouble upgrading to Leopard when it's released.

Hi INFNITE:

I agree with you about initial releases of Operating Systems. Do you remember when OSx86 10.4.1 first came out? That was buggy as heck and didn't even fully support Rosetta. I'd rather stick with OS's that are stable and working (even if they are old). I'm partial to OSx86 10.4.6 because it supports the hardware I use at home and work.

--danyel :pirate2:

Well S40, you are up a creek like many now that you waited for Leopard and now it won't come for 6 more months. My advice, buy something now. I heard on there, and there was link somewhere, that on the 15th on this month (sunday) Apple was releasing new stuff, so I would say on monday, check out the store and buy what you want. 10.4.9 is great and even though Apple is being stupid, you can get your macbook and OS X and enjoy it now.

i would agree to that - at the end, you gonna download your leopard and use it free of charge.. .like me ;-)

but psssst. ;-)

i´m a real filesharing {censored} - but i bougt ableton live (because there is no crack for it ;-) ...

To also add another point to this thread: I wonder what Apple is going to say about Leopard at the WWDC. Obviously, people are a little irked about Apple's decision.

Well I heard some things, rumors of course, of course the iphone will make them a lot of money, but from what I am hearing, they might really be working on LOGIC as the REAL and FINAL protools killer and being able to open and save PT projects.

I think they really want to focus on the creative side again, after the release of the iPHONE and get MAC back into the CREATIVE side like it used to.

To also add another point to this thread: I wonder what Apple is going to say about Leopard at the WWDC. Obviously, people are a little irked about Apple's decision.

i think its gonna be something like this,"well we have delayed leopard until october but we have the IPHONE!!!!!!!"

i think distraction is all they can do....

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. And if they truly are putting the resources toward the iPhone, then it doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac.

I agree with that, because the mac is their bread and butter, if they just go "oh we were working on something else... sorry" that will make the os rushed, and besides, htey shouldnt even have the same team working on the iphone while they should be doing their os.... its just illogical.

i am quite supprised that they would effect eachother. what do they actually need to do on the iphone that would effect the leopard team?

This was pure spin. Even Leo Laporte says it is. If they need help with the OS or the iPhone in this case, then hire more people. Don't shift people around.

And to answer ur question, the iPhone runs an embedded version of OS X on it. So of course the people who were working on Leopard, would be familiar with the apps that are going on the iPhone and it's OS. But don't say it runs OS X. That is pure spin and complete BS. It just runs an embedded version of it, which is easily done since you don't need the gui, you cut out some libraries and just have the kernel in their. With the pieces of it removed that you don't need of course. That's how linux was ported to embedded platforms at first before their was uclinux. I work with embedded systems, so I know what I'm talking about.

Another thing is that since Apple likes to keep everything secret, it means they may not always be hiring the best people, just the best people who can keep secrets. And quality goes down because of that.

The thing is...we have come a long way from 10.0 to 10.4.9, and Apple basically made the operating system that they originally planned when they moved from the days of OS9. As such, it will be increasingly difficult for them to implement more and more features in the same timespan as previous versions of OS X...because Tiger has reached a level of maturity thats doesnt need constant updating and patching up. Any new features will either have to be so large that it would take more than 1.5 years to implement, or Apple would choose to go the route of updating even the most smallest aspect of the OS incrementally over a period of time, so it doesnt look as if the operating system looks like the developmental stages of Windows XP --> Vista. What I'm trying to say is...you cannot expect Apple to release in the same frequency as they have been, and future releases will tend to be further apart (which is a natural thing), because all the basic and advanced features of the core operating system are already there...I hope I explaind this clearly, and not in a confusing way lol.

Dont confuse this with XP --> Vista because XP had nothing compared to Tiger...and Vista is an improvement to some degree from some angle.

Finally. The first sensible comment on this topic.

I have a simple question: Do we really need Leopard right now?

I mean, I find Tiger so feature complete, so advanced compared to Vista, so stable that I seriously doubt it would be of great benefit if Apple released Leopard right now.

My recent discussions with PC users have made me find out that:

a)pc users tend to start admiting the superiority of Mac OS compared to Vista

b)pc users really do not have the faintest idea about the forthcoming release of Leopard.

Since apple is aiming at switchers in order to help its user base grow, they will probably rely on the halo effect of the iphone instead of trying to rush out a new version of their OS (Dont fix whats already working)

I will definately go for a European iPhone when it is released on September, since I am tired of carrying both my 30GB ipod and my E61.

For that I really cant wait. OS wise, I am more than happy with Tiger.

Rediculous. :) iPhone is the hang up? Plus no true iPod replacement (aka a NEW version many have been waiting on). The iPhone will sell, but it will not be the iPod with the price and limited storage. All the people that keep saying, in my iPod thread, the new iPod is coming, well if they can't even spare people to work on Leopard, a new iPod looks like it is far off. :whistle:

1) The iPhone is not an iPod "replacement".

2) What did you expect? Apple has made numerous cut-backs during the last years. Do you think they have 1000 programmers?

3) last but not least. iPhone WILL generate more sales than yet-another-OSX-upgrade-that-punters-have -to-pay-for. Apple's managment know this and their shareholders know this. In the end it all comes down to the same. Making money. And it's a fact that OSX-upgrades make far less money than an iPod spin-off.

It seems though after getting into my Mac and actually computing on a day to day basis with OS X and such, with the Leopard delays and lack of a new iPod and such, it seems I sometimes, just sometimes, question whether going Mac was the best. I hope I am wrong, but damn, all the making fun of Vista and now this delay? Apple is looking stupid. The iPhone is NOT THAT GREAT to have the entire company focus on it. You need to have a focus on the Macs, which of dumbass Jobs said in the iPhone keynote the Mac sales are skyrocketing, so I guess just IGNORE the big OS upgrade? Smart Steve, real smart. :thumbsup_anim:

What's with you ppl? Do you actually USE your computer or do you spend more time installing and re-installing OS's to see if there's something new to be explored? Or is it a hobby these days to {censored} about supposedly new stuff being released (which usually end up dissapointingly)? Djeez. Do you really think that everybody needs a new ipod every week? This crazy renewal cycle for consumer products make many ppl turn away instead of being attracted. I for one am glad that the renewal cycle of ipods slowed down because that makes my current ipod still valluable. Something you probably don't understand.

Someone sarcastically mentioned "have to stick with tiger for a few months"? Well is that SO bad?

I wouldn't mind if the pace settled down a bit. So that I can finally start ENJOYING what I have.

IF Apple doesn't watch it, all this new success will slip through their hands.

Apple, apple, apple.... its nothing to do with Apple. It's the shareholders who tell the CEO of Apple what to do or what NOT to do. Its their money, they're the boss and they want profit!

Wouldn't you? If you invested millions of dollars in a computer-company that nearly went bancrupt (mostly due to bad business decisions)?

The future will show if Apple bets right or not. But I doubt that prioritising an OSX-update over a new product release would have significant impact on this future. After all, the target market for OSX already have a full working product (which had already enough updates to last a full year). The ones that really need Leopard will buy it anyway, no matter when it comes out.

Grow up!

Cheers

This was pure spin. Even Leo Laporte says it is. If they need help with the OS or the iPhone in this case, then hire more people. Don't shift people around.

Do you have ANY idea at all what it cost to hire MORE ppl?

I can tell you that's far cheaper to shift around the ppl who you already pay for then to hire more ppl and lay them off when the project is finished. What would you feel if YOU where one of these extra hired ppl that got laid-off a few months later (after Apple reap the benefits of your work)?

In that case Apple made the sensible decission.

It would definitly make the shareholders happy :pirate2:

I think you guys are all missing the point here. The basic underlying philosophy of apple is being a innovative solutions provider in niche markets.

The 'macintosh' is a division of Apple! Just like the 'iPod' is and 'iPhone' will be. Apple aren't going to stop pursuing the 'macintosh' division not in the forseeable future anyways if ever, but they are always going to be pursuing the latest and greatest that everybody is going to want. Who knows if they didnt recover as a company off the back of crazy ipod sales we might not have half of the 'mac' stuff we know and use today. Im sure ipod sales were able to boost there macintosh development.

Another reason I think it makes sense for apple to hold off leopard is that they can have a whole range of updated and new versions of the pro line creative applications, because at the end of the day that is the bulk of there market, so it makes sence to satisfy them all in one hit.

For the average user, tiger is still the best os out there and alot of people im sure dont use it to its full potential, and in regards to it being only usable on pre installed machines that is rubbish it never missed a beat when i installed it on a g4 400MHz Powerbook so. Leopard is going to support all G4s up so any intel machine will definitely cut the mustard.

Ciao ciao and peace out. :)

Hey EPDM, screw you. I was just posting my opinion, don't tear my post apart and TRY to make yourself look good, you just made yourself look like robotskip or other people on this forum that get their kicks on tearing others down. People like you do it because the can't not talk in a mature discussion, but treat others like {censored}. Pathetic. :(

Maybe you would realize, that many that are switching to Mac/Apple based on some of the promises from Apple, big one is Leopard. All the "Hasta La Vista" and the tv ads putting Vista down, and NO Leopard. It makes Apple look like idiots and makes us, the consumers, wonder what is going on. Now I don't reinstall my OS all the time, I hate that. I use OS X to not have to do that, but many of us, including the new Apple users, won't Apple to key up what they are doing and deliver what they are preaching. Right now, iPhone is coming but the big thing, before iPhone was announced, is still coming WAY out there. So now Microsoft, with their so so Vista OS can stand back and say "Look at Apple. All the posters, tv ads, and such bashing Vista and where is Leopard? Nowhere.". That is a truth and I wouldn't doubt a Microsoft rep would use that to make sales.

Now if you are still with me and are paying attention, the main point here is this: Yes OS X (10.4.9) is wonderful, stable, and does all we need to do now. That is a given. BUT, we as Apple fans and customers want Apple to get their priorities in order and deliver what they preach and not make themselves look bad. IF Apple is not careful, like I said above, they can lose all their success or at the very least their success with level off and they will become the company they can talk smack and not deliver. Now can you, EPDM, comprehend that without coming back with childish remarks? We'll see....

What childish remarks? :| He, as much as you, was only venting his opinion, albeit somewhat passionately :wacko:

He has a point in saying that the iPhone will probably generator more moneyflow, and last time I checked, money is the priority of Apple, just as much as any other company ;)

many that are switching to Mac/Apple based on some of the promises from Apple, big one is Leopard. All the "Hasta La Vista" and the tv ads putting Vista down, and NO Leopard. It makes Apple look like idiots and makes us, the consumers, wonder what is going on.

Huh? What do the TV ads have to do with Leopard? Pretty sure none of those commercials talk about any specific tools of OS X and especially not version specific features.

I highly doubt the majority of people switching from Windows/Linux to Macs are doing it because of "promises" of Leopard features.

A side note: Leopard may seem stable already, but something like Time Machine, you better be damn sure it has NO bugs as something like this can really screw up a filesystem.

LOL

I remember when people were bashing MS for being late, and praising Apple for being on schedule.

Dumbasses.

Its too bad you dont know the difference between 4 months and 4 years. :rolleyes:

Huh? What do the TV ads have to do with Leopard? Pretty sure none of those commercials talk about any specific tools of OS X and especially not version specific features.

I highly doubt the majority of people switching from Windows/Linux to Macs are doing it because of "promises" of Leopard features.

A side note: Leopard may seem stable already, but something like Time Machine, you better be damn sure it has NO bugs as something like this can really screw up a filesystem.

I guess you missed the two ads about Leopard. First was when PC was going "into surgery" and then after he had the CIA/FBI guy that was bugging him about "Cancel or Allow". Uh, that is Vista bashing and the posters/flyers of "Hasta la Vista" before those ads, which was about Leopard. No offense, but people need to pay attention to all of Apple's promotions/etc because they have trashed Vista for a while and promoting Leopard, now they can't even release Leopard without a delay. If you think that is good, I feel sorry for you.

First off, this is my first post here at InsanelyMac.... but I've been reading here the news and rumors almost daily for the last few months since making the final 100% move to Tiger over XP. You can read more about my background below if you're interested in knowing where I'm coming from with my following prediction. I should also state that this is only a prediction, and a whole lotta wishful thinking. I have nothing to do with Apple whatsoever... so here goes:

The "real reason" why Leopard has been delayed, is come November, Jobs will make the announcement that the Mac OSX will be available as a stand-alone product, with the "There's a Leopard on Your Vista" ad campaign.

Below are my reasons, arguments why I think it's the perfect time, and assorted changes to the OS to make this a total " Jobs-ian Big Bang... and why I think they are working on them as you read and i write:

1) 80% of all people that want to run Vista have to buy anew PC. The new PCs must have powerful processors (Core Duos, etc.) and stand-alone graphic cards (quasi-Macs) and/or the newest graphic chip-sets.

2) people have to get used to a whole new way of working with Vista, the same learning curve you mightexperience switching to the Mac OS. Although if ya read some other blogs, those that have switched or run lab

comparisons, want to keep the Mac. See also my personal background below.

3) Mac OSX already runs Vista perfectly (better than any other machine I've seen so far) and extremely fast, either via BootCamp, or within VMware or Parallels desktop. It also can run various Linux distributions the same way if you're not happy with the FreeBDSM underpinnings of the Mac OS.

4) Apple wants to be everywhere you are... but mostly in your FREE-time: in your living room (AppleTV), on your shirt pocket (iPod), in your ear (iPhone and iPod), on your vacation and wedding (iPhoto, Aperture) etc., and also distribute (sell) and organize your media experiences. They definitely want to own your entertainment experience! Leave the boring biz-app stuff for the PC/Win working-side of life.

5) Jobs just pulled a fast one already, kicking DRM in the ass, something that HE made popular. The "He who gives may taketh away" principle. Just turn that principle on its head for this prediction to appeal to Jobs' Uber-ego. Remember, we are talking about one of the top 3 egos in the tech-world here.

A couple of the small tweaks/additions to the system (being worked on?):

1) Allow the user to have complete choice and decide how the GUI looks and behaves:

a) Mac OSX Classic - Window buttons left; zoom to page size (not monitor size), Return key renames, etc.

;) PC_look and Feel - buttons right, Zoom "maximizes" (totally!) to entire screen; return key opens hierarchies within the finder and/or docs; closing a window with the X-button, closes the app. Possibly allowing the finder bar at the top or bottom(?).

c) any combination there-of, i.e. Customize or Personalized... including "Linux-Look".

2) come up with a bundling deal... pre-installation routine (AppleScript?) with/for Parallels... say half price?

A few more notes for the "Big Bang" to be feasible:

1) Apple can and should turn complete support over to the blogging and Wiki community for any hardware other than Apple's or 100%-Apple-authorized components. Would probably be better anyway.

2) Apple can turn it's resources back to entertainment, and to designing the best machines out there, i.e. the Ferraris or Porsches of the computer world. Who wouldn't want one? But who can always justify the cost and expense of owning one? But again, definitely something to "move UP to" :rolleyes:

3) Even Steve Jobs is realistic enough to know that he can't get 90% (++) of the world to buy "real Macs" in the near future, not even 30% realistically... and truthfully, does he want to? He probably couldn't keep up with the production demands anyway.... so what's the next step to tie this all together?

4) Cover your butt: release and advertise Mac OSX Leopard as a stand-alone operating system only for "Vista Certified" compatible

hardware systems, since they are almost all built to similar specs of the slowest Mac, and require the newest drivers, new equipment

like scanners, new versions of applications, etc. etc. anyway. As always, places like InsanelyMac can tinker, and probably find all of the ways to make it run on any Intel machine... but DO NOT give people false hopes(!!!!) like MS continually does. In addition, continue to make it known that just by installing Windows on a Mac DOES NOT make you any more secure!

5) After the fact of being late... "who has the last laugh" principle. Remember Jobs is all pride. Think of the personal insecurity and therapy hours needed to make the statement in the first place. He HAD to have something in the background... up his sleeve... to justify this... and it wasn't all "it's gotta work flawlessly for the hardcore fans". He already knows we are totally forgiving bunch (...of fools sometimes :whistle: However.... throw this out there so that the PC bunch can {censored}, moan, pull it apart, and kick him in the teeth? Only Bill does that routine well and that due to lotsa experience.

So it looks like this:

"What's on Your Vista? The Leopard".

Secure. Compatible. Configurable... and does 100%

entertainment and personal management out of the box.

Oh ya... did we mention that it also does Windows and work- apps?!

Screen shows Leopard taking a walk and the Vista logo comes up, then the famous voices:

"Please choose allow or deny"...

...Allow clicked...

"Are you sure?"...

Cancel is clicked.

"Didn't think so."

... screen goes back to a game or something...

Fade to Apple logo.

The above is fantasy... it would definately be over-kill... but fun none the less...and a right nice (and nasty) way to send Bill Gates off into the sunset into his retirement "Vista Sunset", "dontcha" think? :P

PS. I edited my personal background out... just too long. If asked will post it some other place and time.

I just wanna add, that a lot of my prediction has to do with the work that you people here at insanelyMac have done, making the Mac OSX installable on a Wintel machine. Don't think for a moment that this has been lost on, or not seen in Cuppertino(!)

One last note: in another thread here " Where is Leopard", everybody there is up in arms about losing ShapeShifter. There are some people that believe themes will be built in. I also believe this point, and it adds at least to the "possibility" and feasibility of parts of my prediction coming true, in that there will be a totally new Theme engine allowing the complete flexibility of the Mac GUI, specifically to accommodate people switching from Windows. Stay tuned :)

• 3 weeks later...
Its too bad you dont know the difference between 4 months and 4 years. :)

It's too bad that you don't know what late means.

Here, I'll help you:

late /leɪt/, lat·er or lat·ter, lat·est or last, adverb lat·er, lat·est.

–adjective

1. occurring, coming, or being after the usual or proper time: late frosts; a late spring.

4 years or 4 months. Doesn't matter. Late is late.

And punctuality is what mac fanboys boast about when it comes to Apple.

Shame Apple can't even live up to it's own image.

It's too bad that you don't know what late means.

Here, I'll help you:

late /leɪt/, lat·er or lat·ter, lat·est or last, adverb lat·er, lat·est.

–adjective

1. occurring, coming, or being after the usual or proper time: late frosts; a late spring.

4 years or 4 months. Doesn't matter. Late is late.

And punctuality is what mac fanboys boast about when it comes to Apple.

Shame Apple can't even live up to it's own image.

Ill repeat again...comparing 4 months to 4 years is stupidity at most. :D No one denied that it was late, but saying that now its late just like Vista is just a plain idiotic comparison.

Ill repeat again...comparing 4 months to 4 years is stupidity at most. :thumbsup_anim: No one denied that it was late, but saying that now its late just like Vista is just a plain idiotic comparison.

Can you read?

I'm surprised you made it this far on insanelymac board.

No one said it was late like Vista.

But it's late. And it's still not here...

Are you taking this too personally, EFI? :(

No no, Im not taking this personally. Yes, Leopard is late, and I dont like it that Apple delayed it either, however in the original statement you said:

I remember when people were bashing MS for being late, and praising Apple for being on schedule.

Dumbasses.

Its the fact that you said are we dumbasses? Thats whats made be say what I said. If we were dumbasses, then Apple would have to delay leopard by 3 more years...but thats not the case now is it. Its still no where as near as bad as what Microsoft did with Windows Vista....so calling us dumbasses is just childish and utterly ignorant on your part.

And even though Microsoft did delay Vista...did they atleast make up the lost features in that time, NO. So again, who are the dumbasses now?