Leopard Release Officially Delayed, Dated

77 posts in this topic

What I'm trying to say is...you cannot expect Apple to release in the same frequency as they have been, and future releases will tend to be further apart (which is a natural thing), because all the basic and advanced features of the core operating system are already there.

Yeah, but we're not talking about small bug fixes. We have the Software Update program to handle that sort of thing. Every new major release of an operating system is never solely to present greater stability, but to also introduce new features. Can you honestly say 10.4 is all anybody will ever need to be content? There are numerous "wish lists" of features people would like to see in OS X, and third party developers currently have to fill the gap. If anything, OS X's stability is all the more reason why Apple would have an unhindered shot at developing and finishing some great new features... on time!

It seems for once that maybe Apple should take notes on Redmond's practices. Microsoft recruited the entire X-Box division to finish Vista on time. Apple is doing the complete opposite by reallocating people who should be working to finish Leopard. They really flamed Redmond for Vista's delays, but there's an old saying that goes, "don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Wow, apple pulled a microsoft :whistle:

I think it's still too early to tell, no, I mean still too zune to tell :rolleyes:

For Apple to pull a real microsoft, I can't imagine what a mess Leopard have to be after the delay of a few month, and from their last release Tiger, I'm not that concerned. Disappointed I am, Hopefully the delay is worth it.

I'm not sure I'll switch even when leopard is released! My Media Center runs OS 9.2.2 (Itunes on that box is so much more stable and better sounding. No idea why.)

Visahvie 1920's Girlfriend:

Wait till she's gone out, then do it. She may not actually notice. My Dad never did. XD

Last time he went out for two hours he came back to find wifi and a half dozen critical security patches. Optimised the drive too, while I was at it. 8)

Personally I dont really care, because for me, 10.4 makes the job really good without needing any special care or treatment.

The only thing that I would like to see is optical changes(sleeker) and a new finder maybe. Thats it, and that can wait until October.

If the iPhone has priority, it tells me two things:

1. Apple is shifting to consumer related products. (Or maybe just expanding -> They should hire more people)

2. The iPhone was preordered already many times, so it would be better for Apple to concentrate on that (if they dont want to scare of all the new consumers) than Leopard, which is less essential because Tiger still does a good job. And with CS3 out alot of people will stop complaining about performance issues (All those people that dont understand what Rosetta is all about lol)

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard. And if they truly are putting the resources toward the iPhone, then it doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac.

I second that. I'll never spend 500 Euro to buy a portable toy.

I am feeling an overall sense of disappointment. As I have explained in other threads, it looks as if SJ doesn't care for his geek users, his European users who have to pay 34% more for their Macs...

Mac hardware ATM feels overpriced and outdated.

OK, the Mac Pro offers you a choice of 8 cores, but by the time you configure it with more decent specs you need at least 6500 Euro. And a Geforce 7300? That is a sick joke.

And the OS? After you install it you need to do a lot customization, install plenty of third-party software, many just to add functionality which should already be there...

Installing Linux and configuring it takes me only a few hours. Doing the same with OS X takes me several days.

I'm a bit disappointed about that cos it seems the iPhone mania made another BIG victim and it is the Apple itself.

00344909.jpg

At this point... do we expect a new release of Tiger?

Do many people actually buy a Mac OS X upgrade though? As opposed to it being pre-installed on a new Mac?

I wouldn't be shocked if they sold more iPhones than boxed copies of Leopard.

If I owned a real Mac I'd buy every OS X upgrade.

And certainly I am not going to spend 500 Euro for a portable toy like the iPhone.

nah, a new tiger release is a waste of resources imo.

anyways.. if you read in the bottom of the iphone page you can see..

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

all is blocked by FCC,but maybe... things are changing sooner than expected and apple wants to release the iphone asap

Quotes from other sites, which means I didn't write them:

I can no doubt hear the snickers from Redmond this very minute after reading Apple's statement regarding its delay of Mac OS X "Leopard." This comes from a company that never passed up an attempt to bash Microsoft's incessant delays of Vista at every turn.

Now, Apple's a great company, don't get me wrong, but this attempt at getting around the truth smells of hypocrisy all around. As somebody in the office said today, "You can't bash Microsoft for being late to the party and then be tardy yourself." How true.

We do know from Microsoft OS launches that they also in turn boost PC sales. The profit margins on PCs are far higher than phones, so why would Apple take such a risk? It's beyond me, and probably a lot of other folks too.

Already, financial analysts are questioning the move. Barron's Eric Savitz said Thursday that he expected analysts to begin downgrading their estimates for the third quarter.

"There has been speculation that Leopard's release would generate both software upgrade revenue and an immediate charge to Mac sales," he wrote.

Apple's hypocrisy has been further exposed by sites like AppleInsider as well, which noted that many of the critical issues with Leopard still remain two months before the "end of the quarter," which was the Cupertino company's previous release target.

So, first Leopard was going to ship before Vista. Then it was going to ship around the same time as Vista. Then it was Spring 2007. Now, October. Sad.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Apple is two companies. One makes iPods. The other makes Macs. The iPod company is more important to management and more relevant to the future of the company. Obviously.

Even Apple fansites think this was a bad move and/or a lie and if Apple's fansites are being even the tiniest bit negative that's quite a large thing.

Anyway, the sooner Leopard is out the better, I want to use it. :wacko:

Yeah, but we're not talking about small bug fixes. We have the Software Update program to handle that sort of thing. Every new major release of an operating system is never solely to present greater stability, but to also introduce new features. Can you honestly say 10.4 is all anybody will ever need to be content? There are numerous "wish lists" of features people would like to see in OS X, and third party developers currently have to fill the gap. If anything, OS X's stability is all the more reason why Apple would have an unhindered shot at developing and finishing some great new features... on time!

No no I know that lol. Maybe I screwed up my wording...but what I meant to say was that the developmental speed of the future versions are going to slow down, because they have to come up with new ways to make user appreciable features (not just for the sake of being there), and this is much harder to come up with than say a core operating system feature, or a critical OS feature. :2cents:

@robotskip - not aiming this at you at all mate, but I'm just saying; there is a big difference between 4 months...and 3 years. Leopard would have to be much more delayed than this in order to coin the term "Apple pulled a Microsoft" lol. Apple hasn't scrapped whats being developed now...and start a whole new OS from scratch...like what Microsoft did (by scrapping off the XP code used in Longhorn and starting fresh) with Longhorn to Vista.

aNorthEast.gifcLeftTop.gifcRightTop.gifcLeftBottom.gifcRightBottom.gif

OK, Leopard is delayed. I think I can survive. Geez, the histrionics!! And if Apple released it now people would complain it is too buggy. It is just like the flamers fearing the end of the world now that this site has changed hands. Is there nothing more important in the world to worry about?

Hell, I think it is smart for Apple to delay til October. It will cause a big splash when it is launched which will provide a nice bounce in the media and then the reviews will come in and most of the reviewers all prefer Macs anyway and all this will be great to free advertising for Apple at the approaching holiday season.

Deja vu, I just read through the same topic on Slashdot. Lot's of good points in both discussions. While I'm upset that Leopard is going to take longer than expected, especially since I cant justify purchasing an iPhone, since I already have a cell and an iPod. I think its better that they delay the release than ship a buggy product! <cough>...Vista...</cough> plus, a few months delay for Leopard is hardly comparable to Vista's 3 year delay. Microsoft threw so many developers at Vista that it became an incredibly difficult to manage project. Apple took the other route with a much smaller dedicated team of developers. Some of them had to shift focus to get the iPhone out the door and I'm sure att/cingular had a hand in that. They are going to make a killing with the iPhone. I think if Apple had forecast their needs better a year or two ago they would have hired a few more developers , and we wouldn't be waiting an extra few months for Leopard. Oh well. I just hope it's hackable.

@robotskip: maybe link to those site where you copied from?

I don't quite get all these talk of lie and deception. Though I do not question the need to doubt corporate PR talks, as these are essentially still in someway advertisement, I think in this case at least it's quite plausible that they didn't have enough people to work on Leopard.

What are the major products from Apple in 2007 that we know so far?

Apple TV, just released, iPhone in June (we hope), and Leopard for Mac (most likely new hardware).

What do they have in common?

They are all running a different version of OS X. Let's put it this way, that Apple's releasing new Macs with Leopard, while Leopard upgrade sells as bonus.

Now what does this mean?

Apple's working on 3 versions of OS X this year, a new version for Mac, a strip down media centre, and a "miniaturized" one for mobile devices. This is certainly more than what they've done in the past. Tiger only runs on Mac, Vista on PCs.

Granted for Microsoft it's different because of all the testing that have to be done with hardware combinations, compound with that their own artificial division between 6 (or is it 8) versions of the same thing. But we don't see them shrinking Vista for cellphone, or put it on some new platform? Media centre is just now integrated, Tablet PC not much different from usual Laptop save for some new app/drivers. Let's see Microsoft porting Vista (or even just XP) to, say, their own windows mobile devices.

What apple have in their hands is essentially just a simple stripped down version for Apple TV, but for iPhone they are porting to a new platform (and they just got intel Tiger out of the door last year) AND doing miniaturization.

Of course it is entirely possible it's just a lie to cover up their incompetence, judging from their past records, this is the first delay in many years of OS X, I would give them the benefit of doubt.

damn, not many people are going to buy the iphone, they should have their prioritys swithced

According to a survey 25% of the American teenagers want to buy/have the iPhone... (which, of course, does not mean that they actually do buy it).

According to a survey 25% of the American teenagers want to buy/have the iPhone... (which, of course, does not mean that they actually do buy it).

I want two million pounds... doesn't mean I'm gonna get it :)

But really, Soundless could be right (or I could be wrong). How many people are going to spend $500+ on an iPhone? I'm pretty sure that most of the 25% of American teenagers who said they would like to have the iPhone won't be getting it.

I want two million pounds... doesn't mean I'm gonna get it :P

But really, Soundless could be right (or I could be wrong). How many people are going to spend $500+ on an iPhone? I'm pretty sure that most of the 25% of American teenagers who said they would like to have the iPhone won't be getting it.

Just want to add that I am bummed a little about the delay but I am also excited about the iphone. I have my cash saved up and will be one of the BUYERS for this gadget. Also my company has also called our Cingular rep and requested 5 iphones.

Rediculous. :star_smile: iPhone is the hang up? Plus no true iPod replacement (aka a NEW version many have been waiting on). The iPhone will sell, but it will not be the iPod with the price and limited storage. All the people that keep saying, in my iPod thread, the new iPod is coming, well if they can't even spare people to work on Leopard, a new iPod looks like it is far off. :whistle:

It seems though after getting into my Mac and actually computing on a day to day basis with OS X and such, with the Leopard delays and lack of a new iPod and such, it seems I sometimes, just sometimes, question whether going Mac was the best. I hope I am wrong, but damn, all the making fun of Vista and now this delay? Apple is looking stupid. The iPhone is NOT THAT GREAT to have the entire company focus on it. You need to have a focus on the Macs, which of dumbass Jobs said in the iPhone keynote the Mac sales are skyrocketing, so I guess just IGNORE the big OS upgrade? Smart Steve, real smart. :whistle:

IF Apple doesn't watch it, all this new success will slip through their hands.

Now I'm torn. I really wanted to buy a Macbook, but I was waiting for Leopard. Now I have a new predicament. If I buy a current laptop with a soon to be old OS, are they going to upgrade the hardware before the new OS comes out? I know something new is always going to to come out, but I dont wanna be like that 90's Gateway computer. The one where the guy drives to the store and see's his soon to be new computer on the billboard. On his way home they are putting up a new billboard with a newer model.

I really need to buy a laptop before going east.

Well S40, you are up a creek like many now that you waited for Leopard and now it won't come for 6 more months. My advice, buy something now. I heard on there, and there was link somewhere, that on the 15th on this month (sunday) Apple was releasing new stuff, so I would say on monday, check out the store and buy what you want. 10.4.9 is great and even though Apple is being stupid, you can get your macbook and OS X and enjoy it now.

Now I'm torn. I really wanted to buy a Macbook, but I was waiting for Leopard. Now I have a new predicament. If I buy a current laptop with a soon to be old OS, are they going to upgrade the hardware before the new OS comes out? I know something new is always going to to come out, but I dont wanna be like that 90's Gateway computer. The one where the guy drives to the store and see's his soon to be new computer on the billboard. On his way home they are putting up a new billboard with a newer model.

I really need to buy a laptop before going east.

Maybe check the compatibility list and buy a PC laptop?

In this country you can find bargains where a PC laptop can cost 40% the price of a Macbook/Macbook Pro with similar specs.