Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

1. Boot IDeneb 10.5.6 DVD:
  2. Drivers: selected NVkush for Nvidia Quadro 110M), Intel ICHx SATA Drivers, Sigmatel 9200 Sound.
  3. Fixes: Shutdown/Restart Fix, Seatbelt.kext, IOPCMCIAFamily, AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 667mhz, PS/2 Device Support, Dual CPU Fix, Powermanagement Bundle.
  4. Applications: I installed all the Apps on the iDeneb disk.
  5. Kernel: Voodoo Kernel

This worked for me, however if your DELL is Intel it could change things quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Sorry by Intel i mean Intel 950 Graphics.

DentonB which distro are you running? I beleive some distros had issues with time machine that required a fix to be installed.

I am using the iPC distribution but managed to get it working... it was the video kext I was using. As a matter of fact, I have everything working except for the internal microphone.

ok, i finally got the ideneb running. The shutdown and usb stuff works pretty good now. now a problem that im getting is the sound, it doesnt mute anymore. i installed the sigmatel9200 during the ideneb installation and ran the applehdapatcher after, but its still not muting.

did a 10.5.7 update and it slowed it down... i mean.. it took all the kext so all the post-installer kexts are gone, even the core2 support kexts... i'm waiting on those before updating again. right now i'm running 10.5.6

ok, i finally got the ideneb running. The shutdown and usb stuff works pretty good now. now a problem that im getting is the sound, it doesnt mute anymore. i installed the sigmatel9200 during the ideneb installation and ran the applehdapatcher after, but its still not muting.

there's your problem. the sigmatel 9200 works on ideneb 1.4 10.5.6 just need to go to system preferences --- > sound ---> output and select the Stereo Master Output

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting - I installed 10.5.7 on both on my D620s and it seems to be fine. Of course, I had to reinstall the video, sound and power management kexts. Only issue is that I am having a problem with my USB ports on my NVidia PC and am not sure how to fix it.

On a side note, has anyone got an Intel 3945 ABG card working? Thanks!

Mark

did a 10.5.7 update and it slowed it down... i mean.. it took all the kext so all the post-installer kexts are gone, even the core2 support kexts... i'm waiting on those before updating again. right now i'm running 10.5.6

I tried installing iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 on my Dell D620 - although the initial installation went without any issues, upon reboot, I received the frustrating "Still waiting for root device" error. I am at a loss on what to do! If anyone has encountered this and has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Mark

Don't forget to select ICHx patch when installing iDeneb. NVkush and Sigmatel 920 should be selected too.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I heard about OSX being installed on x86 hardware and went to google to find more informations. Finally, I put my hands on ideneb 10.5.7 (the last version) and tried to install it on my Dell Lattitude D620 (nvidia graphic video).

I checked during the installation this :

ICHx Fixed

NVKush

Sigmatel 9200

Voodoo Kernel 9.5

After the reboot, I was on OSX... Cool! But no ethernet, no wireless, no sound, no specific management of the touchpad. I think the graphic card was well set because I was on default at 1440*900 but I'm not sure about it either.

I'm pretty new to all this but I checked a lot of forums and I really couldn't get answers to these problems or I didn't understand them maybe!

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english!

I have JaS 10.4.8 working perfectly on a Latitude D620 (dual-booting with Windows XP).

I've attached a copy of my notes from the install. Hopefully they will help you.

When doing the install, choose the bare minimum (I just chose the Intel SSE packages and the print drivers). DO NOT install any other drivers (video, sound, etc.).

When the install is done and the computer reboots, go into your Bios settings and change the value for the number of processors to 1. Otherwise, you'll get some funky mouse and window behavior.

After the install, I installed the Titan video kext files (replaced the standard device ID with my device ID) and now I have a working D620 Hackintosh with full 1440x900 resolution! See: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan I have the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M video card.

As for ethernet...I had to purchase a D-Link DWL-122 Rev B USB adapter because the internal wireless and ethernet adapters aren't supported yet. The DWL-122 works great!

I don't have sound working yet - mostly because I don't really care. :)

Hi,

I installed os x 10.4.8 on Dell 620 and is working.

Now, there are few things to rectify, i fyou can help:

1. It is running tooooo slow. I changed the configuration file in the terminla as you wrote:

<

1. Type: “sudo –s” (gives you warning about being root user…)

2. Type: “nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist” (all one line)

3. This opens the nano editor. Add these lines to the file:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>15</string>

4. Save the file and reboot – you should get the Darwin bootloader with a 15 second delay. Hit any key to get a list of the operating systems. Select Windows XP or MacOSx86

>

but that did not work and while editing the file, it was not reading the typing instantly..was too slow.

So it there anything else I can do to get options boot my windowsXP ...

thnx!!

1. Boot IDeneb 10.5.6 DVD:
  2. Drivers: selected NVkush for Nvidia Quadro 110M), Intel ICHx SATA Drivers, Sigmatel 9200 Sound.
  3. Fixes: Shutdown/Restart Fix, Seatbelt.kext, IOPCMCIAFamily, AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 667mhz, PS/2 Device Support, Dual CPU Fix, Powermanagement Bundle.
  4. Applications: I installed all the Apps on the iDeneb disk.
  5. Kernel: Voodoo Kernel

This worked for me, however if your DELL is Intel it could change things quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

Sorry by Intel i mean Intel 950 Graphics.

i can't seem to get mine to work i get panic(cpu 0 caller 0x004358f3): unable to find the driver for this platform: \acpi\".\n"@/voodookernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1411 what ever options i choose. anyone know what could be causing this. i got the d620 with nvidia card

i can't seem to get mine to work i get panic(cpu 0 caller 0x004358f3): unable to find the driver for this platform: \acpi\".\n"@/voodookernel/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1411 what ever options i choose. anyone know what could be causing this. i got the d620 with nvidia card

any suggestions on what im doing wrong?

need help with iAtkos v7 (10.5.7) - install seemed to go smoothly to an External USB drive, but when booting i get stuck.

at the Chameleon v2.0 menu, i type '-v'

it goes through a heap of files i suppose (too fast to read),

then gets the following:

"MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

and just sits there !!

Any ideas?

the laptop is a dell D620 with A04 bios

any suggestions on what im doing wrong?

I got kerner panics with IPC too, here's what got me going:

hit F8 to enter options, then enter

-v cpus=1

that should start things without a panic. I also had to install an external monitor during the install because when graphics come up, they don't load locally. After the install completed, graphics were fine locally.

need help with iAtkos v7 (10.5.7) - install seemed to go smoothly to an External USB drive, but when booting i get stuck.

at the Chameleon v2.0 menu, i type '-v'

it goes through a heap of files i suppose (too fast to read),

then gets the following:

"MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

and just sits there !!

Any ideas?

the laptop is a dell D620 with A04 bios

Ok, i have now used Kalyman 10.5.2 - installed to External USB drive on my Dell D620. at first it didnt like the USB Drive being partitioned, so blew it all away and setup as 1 partition, reinstalled all fine. Rebooted, went through setup etc and now into OSX no probs.

Only issue so far is no sound...

Should i try updating my BIOS from A04 ??

Has anyone tried using the Retail DVD install method (via BOOT-132)?

Yep. I installed retail 10.5.6 with Boot-123 method and have 100% vanilla /System/Library/Extensions folder. Everything works except sleep is flukey.

Everything works with update to 10.5.7 with some driver updates in /Extra/Extensions.mkext. 10.5.8 breaks Airport, and requires cpus=1 due to source not being available yet for new kernel. Sound, Ethernet and graphics load with boot-132 and with Chameleon (post install).

I'd like to find an efi string to work on D620 with GMA950 so that I don't need vid drivers in /Extra, but so far that's not a huge deal.

But so far, I can't get away from using some borrowed files in /Extra, so it's just one step away (video) from 100% pure vanilla and upgrade impervious.. Is not pure vanilla french-vanilla? :;

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm having a D620 and I successfully upgraded to 10.5.8 everything looks fine.

Two pending issues.

1-I can not see the battery and is not detected by the system, someone can help me with this issue?

2-I'm having vanilla kernel 9.8 but I have to boot using "cpus=1" or the system start to go slow.

I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

I've been following this thread closely as well as this one about running iPC on a d620, hoping to synthesize the findings to finally get leopard to boot on my friend's d620. My attempts have been met with little success. I must've within the course of the last two days installed and reinstalled iPC, Kalyway, and Leo4all 5 times apiece. I had also disabled the dual cpu setting during both the installation and when running it.

The problems I've been facing vary from distro to distro, from giving me that issue with the screen going immediately blank upon seeing blue to rebooting perpetually to crashing due to configd, according to the identifier field in my crash report.

I left all the settings on the default ones except:

-removed the sound drivers

-removed the graphics drivers

-removed the language translations

-removed the applications

I played around with different kernels, installing those specific to Intel CPUs and the Vanilla kernel for the distributions that offered them.

there are probably a few details that I've left out and would be more than happy to fill the gaps.

here's my friend's current setup, soon to be added to my signature:

Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz

Sigmatel 9200 sound card

Intel 945 GM graphics

Dell 1345 wireless card

1 GB DDR2 RAM

Broadcom 57XX NIC

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: So it worked except for sound (ven id: 8384 dev: 7690) when I checked the following

-kernels (choose default...ie don't select any)

-graphics - Intel

-motherboard -ICHX only (no ICH9/10)

-PS2 mouse and keyboard

-DSDT fix (normal/1st option only)

-seatbelt

-sound - none

the sigmatel 9200 installer in the dell 1.41 post-installer doesn't work, nor does the alc268 nor the

• 1 month later...