OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,759 posts in this topic

Noticed with Opencore, GPU has to be UEFI, Legacy cards such as Nvidia GTX 650 Ti etc OC won't boot. Just Setup a MSI Gaming 5 Z97 with RX560, Booted and Fully Native also displaying Quad-Core Xeon as Processor, as before with clover it was Unknown. Tested with macOS 10.12. :drool:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MacFriedIntel said:

Noticed with Opencore, GPU has to be UEFI, Legacy cards such as Nvidia GTX 650 Ti etc OC won't boot. Just Setup a MSI Gaming 5 Z97 with RX560, Booted and Fully Native also displaying Quad-Core Xeon as Processor, as before with clover it was Unknown. Tested with macOS 10.12. :drool:

My Nvidia GT 520 (Fermi GF119) is not EFI Gop-able and I'm able to boot using OpenCore, though with 640x480 ConsoleMode.

11 hours ago, MrTrip said:

Moved OC to my NVME drive as it finds Clover on my NVME. Moved Clover to a USB for backup booting... cleaned the NVME using the CleanNVME.efi and got a new log.

opencorebootlog.txt

The log has nothing useful (to be clear here, that is not your error), which is very odd. I will have to add more debug messages when I have the time

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to use the EmuVariableUefi driver with OpenCore as the Aptio V bios for z390 motherboards seems to have broken AptioMemoryFix so persistent NVRAM no longer works. Thanks...

9 hours ago, dgsga said:

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to use the EmuVariableUefi driver with OpenCore as the Aptio V bios for z390 motherboards seems to have broken AptioMemoryFix so persistent NVRAM no longer works. Thanks...

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/338516-opencore-discussion/?page=4

Andrey1970 said not supported.

Fred

Fresh from Configuration - Properties - Drivers

• EmuVariableRuntimeDxe — NVRAM emulation driver from MdeModulePkg. NVRAM is supported by most modern firmwares. For firmwares with macOS incompatible NVRAM implementation an emulated driver may be used. This driver will not preserve NVRAM contents across the reboots.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, uglyJoe said:

Runs fine on my ZBoxNano :star_smile:

While playing around, I tried loading OC from refind and in general it's working.

This means refind is detecting OpenCore.efi and after selecting - the bootpicker appears and I can select macOS or Recovery.

But I can't start macOS or Recovery from the refind gui.

If I put BootX64.efi into refind/drivers, the bootpicker appears directly after loading and I didn't get to the refind gui. 

Enabling/Disabling BootPicker and/or Timeout didn't change anything at this behavior. 

Is there a possibility to load OpenCore 'in the background' like with Ozmosis?

Got it working :)

For anybody who like OpenCore with GUI, proper boot selection, custom boot entries and, and, and...

This is what I have done:

Delete Efi/Boot/BootX64.efi

Install Refind to Efi/Boot/BootX64.efi (copy Boot folder from zip)

Delete ozmosis.efi from Efi/Boot/drivers_x64

Edit OC/config.plist

Delete ApfsDriverLoader and HFSPlus from UEFI/Drivers list. Refind loads this later.

I use patched Apfs.efi but you can replace Efi/Boot/drivers_x64/Apfs.efi with ApfsDriverLoader.efi from OC

This way I only load AptioMemoryFix and VirtualSMC with OC and can have ConnectDrivers set to false.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ConnectDrivers</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Drivers</key>
	<array>
		<string>AptioMemoryFix.efi</string>
		<string>VirtualSmc.efi</string>
	</array>
	<key>Quirks</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DisableWatchDog</key>
		<false/>
		<key>IgnoreInvalidFlexRatio</key>
		<true/>
		<key>IgnoreTextInGraphics</key>
		<false/>
		<key>ProvideConsoleControl</key>
		<false/>
		<key>ProvideConsoleGop</key>
		<false/>
		<key>ReleaseUsbOwnership</key>
		<false/>
		<key>RequestBootVarRouting</key>
		<false/>
		<key>SanitiseClearScreen</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

In Misc/Boot set HideSelf=NO, ShowPicker=NO and Timeout=0

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ConsoleMode</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>ConsoleBehaviourOs</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>ConsoleBehaviourUi</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>HideSelf</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Resolution</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>ShowPicker</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Start uefi shell and add OpenCore.efi as the first boot entry

fs0:
cd Efi/OC
bcfg boot add 00 OpenCore.efi OpenCore

After rebooting, OpenCore loads Refind from Boot/BootX64.efi because 'EFI' is the first entry ;)

Refind loads APFS and HFSPlus than starts scanning for macOS, Recovery and so on...

The beauty is that it's modular, so a GUI would not be a requirement, but could easily be an additional driver (or application), as would any feature set beyond the basic features. There is a way to modify clover's nvram emulation to work only as a driver without the GUI doing the loading of the variables. However, there is an issue in some firmwares where the emulation must be disabled for certain actions and why it does not behave like this already.

EDIT: Wrote the same thing twice, lol. Also might be better idea to convert the newer version of MdeModulePkg/Universal/Variable/RuntimeDxe to perform this loading of a plist instead since it's now a much more robust driver than what is in clover.

EDIT2: There is also possibility now to write a windows mechanism to save nvram information that was not available before, and linux could have always done this, unsure why no one has done that... I think that windows may require a signed driver to do this though.

Edited by apianti

Hello to all supporters in this new boot loader , my system is working perfectly with it , but i dont have brightness slider , pnlf device , and system never sleep when closing the screen lid , can anyone help me , i think i need to patch the dsdt and ssdt to match the new boot loader. hope anyone can help me? thank you for this project.

3 minutes ago, PC IT said:

Hello to all supporters in this new boot loader , my system is working perfectly with it , but i dont have brightness slider , pnlf device , and system never sleep when closing the screen lid , can anyone help me , i think i need to patch the dsdt and ssdt to match the new boot loader. hope anyone can help me? thank you for this project.

Look at the fixes built into clover for those patches and perform those same patches... Specifically they should be in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/AcpiPatcher.c and https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/FixBiosDsdt.c.

8 minutes ago, apianti said:

Look at the fixes built into clover for those patches and perform those same patches... Specifically they should be in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/AcpiPatcher.c and https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/FixBiosDsdt.c.

Thank you for fast reply , but i couldent find what i am looking for , anyone can patch the ssdts and dsdt for me so i can try? thank you

46 minutes ago, PC IT said:

Thank you for fast reply , but i couldent find what i am looking for , anyone can patch the ssdts and dsdt for me so i can try? thank you

Use the OpenCore ACPI patcher, all the patches are in those files I pointed you to, you really should figure it out on your own. Read the documentation and look at the sample configuration, there is no need to drop and reinsert tables that are already present, unless you have a really terrible firmware that directly maps the tables from the ROM. I very much doubt this is the case unless you have one of the early (Hybrid)(U)EFI firmwares and you would have definitely probably bricked it by now anyway, lol. Yes, I know the way I wrote that looks weird but there are multiple different kinds of firmware that suck from when the transition was happening.