[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

@5T33Z0 On both my vision G hacks I have no problems with WiFi, and the rest, working simultaneously with two normal ethernet ports as per the attached pictures. The DMAR table has been dropped with the 2 memory regions removed. Will try later to revert back to standard, without dropping the DMAR table and see what happens. 

Will report back.

Greetings Henties

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 8.13.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 8.18.48 AM.png

@5T33Z0 Feedback.

In my particular environment, when I do not drop the DMAR tables, I cannot turn on WiFi at all , it just stays switched off.  I have however patched my Intel i225-V ethernet controller with "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" and not I225MOD.

I am quite happy the way my Vision G hacks are working with respect to the extensive network capability available to me, therefore in my particular case having to drop the DMAR table to achieve full network functionality, seems a small price to pay, especially since I have not yet discovered any negative side effect when my Vision G hacks operate with dropped DMAR tables.

Normally, I keep the i225-V disabled in the Network section of System Preferences because once the i225-V is enabled I have to disable the "Wake for network access" capability, as otherwise, with that feature enabled, my hacks fails to sleep properly and continuously wake a minute or so after they have entered their respective sleep mode.

Greetings Henties

Guest 5T33Z0

@Henties Thanks for your feedback. Since you are using a different firmware the conditions are different and therefore your result are not really comparable with my results. Is "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" an officiall firmwhere or where did you get it from? I would also be interesting to know which version of macOS you are referring to.

@5T33Z0 Using Monterey 12.4 beta 4 build (21F5071b), this will change within the next few minutes because a download to "something later" - RC 21F79 - is presently in progress. The i225-V firmware I am using was offered by @badbrain as an alternative option to i225MOD, it requires a slightly different installation method and is ostensibly beta firmware to be released by Gigabyte sometime later, at least that is how I understand the situation.

Yes you are correct in that the operational behaviour of "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" can be expected to differ from the i225MOD version, that being the reason and also in fairness to the readers of my findings why, in my original posting I mentioned that I am using "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" in my environment.

Greetings Henties

Edited by Henties

I have a Vision G Z490 with the I225-V revision 2.   I've tried multiple times to flash the I225MOD, and it doesn't stick.

In the GUI, after the F4/Load of I225MOD, I see the values have changed.  After saving exiting out back to the fs0: prompt, I power off the PSU, hold the power button for 30 seconds, plug the power cable back in then power back on.  If I go back into the GUI, the values have not changed even though it appeared to save successfully.  

Both  @5T33Z0 and @badbrain have this board and the mod worked for them.  Any ideas ?

The three attachments are before trying the mod, the mod loaded showing new values, and afterwards, where it reverts back.  

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG

On 5/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Henties said:

@5T33Z0 Using Monterey 12.4 beta 4 build (21F5071b), this will change within the next few minutes because a download to "something later" - RC 21F79 - is presently in progress. The i225-V firmware I am using was offered by @badbrain as an alternative option to i225MOD, it requires a slightly different installation method and is ostensibly beta firmware to be released by Gigabyte sometime later, at least that is how I understand the situation.

Yes you are correct in that the operational behaviour of "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" can be expected to differ from the i225MOD version, that being the reason and also in fairness to the readers of my findings why, in my original posting I mentioned that I am using "FXVL_15F3_V_2MB_1.68.bin" in my environment.

Greetings Henties

@Henties How well has the 1.68 firmware worked for you on the Vision G?  Is yours an Intel 225-V Rev 02?  This is soooooo frustrating.  

@slickdawg The 1.68 firmware works quite well with my Intel i225-V rev. 02 onboard NIC. The only problem that I experience with any of the so-called  fixes to get the i225-v working properly has been sleep. Every time that my hacks, with this particular NIC enter sleep, the machine wakes up again shortly thereafter. To prevent this happening I have to disable "Wake for network access" in System Preferences, a functionality I do not wish to be without as a result of which my i225-V NICs remain disabled in Monterey. Using D-Link DGE-560T NICs instead, these do not suffer from the wake after sleep problem, allowing me to wake these hacks whenever and from wherever I want.

Greetings Henties 

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

@slickdawg Sorry for the late response. I am cut-off from Internet access since monday, so my desktop pc is offline. So I had to take a screenshot and put it on a flashdrive, etc, etc.

I am using the .dext driver:

Dext.png.2700732ac93c06d13d590624de17e819.png

Your screenshot doesn't show the file extension nor the location of the driver.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

@slickdawg Sorry for the late response. I am cut-off from Internet access since monday, so my desktop pc is offline. So I had to take a screenshot and put it on a flashdrive, etc, etc.

I am using the .dext driver:

Dext.png.2700732ac93c06d13d590624de17e819.png

Your screenshot doesn't show the file extension nor the location of the driver.

Exactly! And I cannot figure out why.  Strangely enough, I can boot Big Sur 11.6.6 with no boot flags and it loads the exact same driver yours has.  

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 1.27.04 PM.png

Guest 5T33Z0

@slickdawg My screenshot is from Big Sur as well. I can check Monterey tomorrow and report. In Catalina the I225 no longer works with the modded firmware.

50 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@slickdawg My Screenshot looks the same as your in Monterey. But in my case, the controller works:

1112006450_Bildschirmfoto2022-06-01um14_42_22.png.7d6d1a4c29d96985e29dfd2296cff311.png

How strange!   

@5T33Z0

Just double checking - is your BIOS still set like what you have on your GitHub

CSM Support - Disabled

Vt-d - Enabled

SATA - Enabled

Serial Port - Disabled 

Above 4G - Enabled 

Internal Graphics - Enabled

IOAPIC - Enabled 

CFG Lock - Disabled 

Windows 10 Features - Windows 10 

Fast Boot - Enabled 

Audio - Disabled 

Edited by slickdawg

Guest 5T33Z0

Installed Ventura. Ethernet still works! Installation requires disabling AvoidRuntimeDefrag and Board-ID VMM spoof patches (if you have them). I think this was one of the easiest installs I can remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, I just updated to Monterey and my ethernet stopped working, so I checked the subsystem vendor id and id, boths seems to be right without flashing a custom firmware or applying an aml file. System Information tools shows in my opinion a functioning ethernet. I got "cable unplugged" in the network settings which is not true, since I got connection on windows with pretty much the same cable and without touching anything. Did I missed something?

Btw, Motherboard: Gigabyte Vision G z490, radeon 6800xt, 10900k, followed @5T33Z0 instructions on github, removed ethernet device from config.plist, using following boot args: "dk.e1000=0 agdpmod=pikera"

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by geforcefan

@5T33Z0 I tried e.1000=0 as well as the first fix, both didn´t worked for me. So basically the ethernet information on system information might be wrong, right? (because I didn´t changed anything nor flashed something, those are the subsystem ids I got)

But the kext seems to be load, got a mac address, is this not an indication of a working ethernet device?

btw, after using e.1000=0, the loaded kext is appleintel210ethernet.kext (shown in system information)

Edited by geforcefan

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@geforcefan You would be the first one I know with a Z490 Vision G where the Device Header of the I225-V is correct.

You need to use e.1000=0 in Monterey

Otherwise you either need Fix 1 or Fix 2: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/blob/main/I225-V_FIX.md

here we go, dumped my original firmware, never flashed anything, those are the right subsystem ids, no custom firmware needed for me, ethernet is still not working because "the cable is not plugged in". So I guess I am the first one :D

image0 (1).jpeg