[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2022 at 8:14 PM, badbrain said:

Here's the solution for the i225-v v2 problem, especially on Gigabyte-boards

VT-d must be enabled on the system. On some boards it works without dropping the original DMAR table, but unfortunately not on most Z490 Gigabyte boards.

After that it goes like this:

1. Remove all i225-v related device properties and boot-args from config.plist.

2. Set DHCP and automatic configuration of link speed in network settings.

3. Copy eeupdate64.efi and I225MOD from the attached I225-Vmod.zip to an USB stick formatted with (MBR) FAT32.

4. Start the EFI-shell via OpenCore and change to the directory of the USB stick (should be FS0, so change with (probably) fs0:).

5. Start the eeupdate64e.efi in gui mode: eeupdate64e /gui and select the I225-V.

6. Select Raw EEPROM - Extended.

7. Press F3 and enter a name for your original EEPROM dump file and confirm with OK. The EEPROM dump will be saved on the USB stick.

8. Press F4 to load the I225MOD file from the USB stick (enter I225MOD, press ENTER and confirm loading the file) - you should not overwrite the original MAC address when importing (you will be asked).

9. Press ESC to exit and confirm saving.

10. Start macOS (cold boot - completely disconnect computer from power and then press power button for several seconds) and check if it works - you may need to remove and add again the network adapter in preferences.

I225-Vmod.zip 936.29 kB · 11 downloads

Fantastic !!!

Mine is now working on Monterey 12.2.1 with Z490 Aorus Master.

Opencore 0.7.9

Thank you for sharing your solution !!!!!!!!

Also updated to Monterey 12.3.1 and still working !!

Edited by Beefcat
  • Like 2

After i set DisableIOMapper to NO, i lost Wifi. Basically, i can use Ethernrt or Wifi, not both. If i want to use Wifi i had to set it to YES. But then, i cant use Ethernet. 
Anyone else experienced this problem? 
By lost, I mean i cant turn Wifi ON. It’s there, recognized in Sysprefs but cant turn it on.

Edited by Irish_Man

@Irish_Man Same here, WiFi cannot be enabled with the patch for the I225-V, being one of the other reasons why I have reverted back to my aftermarket DGE-560T PCIe NIC, in the process obviously having to sacrifice one single lane PCIe slot, considering my workflow in my particular environment that sacrifice is actually a small price to pay, 

This card works in all respects, including "Wake for network access" as well as "Enable Power Nap".

With this NIC my 2 GA-Z490 Version G hacks are as close as one can get to the behaviour of a real Intel based hack. In addition I use a USB gigabit NIC as a second network port, I use this one to divert DANTE traffic away from the port occupied by the DGE-560T. The USB NIC is supported natively by macOS Big Sur and or Monterey.

Greetings Henties

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 3.12.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 3.14.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 3.14.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 3.17.09 PM 1.png

Guest 5T33Z0

@Irish_Man@Henties

I don' thave a WiFI module for my Z490 Vision G. But instead of just dropping the DMAR table, I  replace it by a modified one where the Reserved Memory Regions are removed. This way, my 3rd Party Network Card works. Maybe it also works for wifi as well.

So, basically:

1. Drop the Original DMAR Table via ACPI/Delete
  2. Add the Modified one via ACPI/Add
  3. See what happens

DMAR-MOD.aml

Edited by 5T33Z0

Guest 5T33Z0

Sorry, for hijacking this thread (again). Today my replacement GTX 760 died (after 3 weeks) when rendering a smal clip in davinci resolve. Since I really don't know much about GPUs I am wondering: can I use a RX 560 and use it with Catalin, Big Sur and Monterey? Seems like this is the cheapest option I can afford at the moment. Since I don't game on PC and mostly do music, it doesn't need to be powerful. Thanks

Edited by 5T33Z0

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Sorry, for hijacking this thread (again). Today my replacement GTX 760 died (after 3 weeks) when rendering a smal clip in davinci resolve. Since I really don't know much about GPUs I am wondering: can I use a RX 560 and use it with Catalin, Big Sur and Monterey? Seems like this is the cheapest option I can afford at the moment. Since I don't game on PC and mostly do music, it doesn't need to be powerful. Thanks

You can use RX 560 with no problem. It's supported since Sierra. Make sure you get Sapphire if you can. 

Avoid  XFX, HIS, VisionTek and PowerColour. They are known to have boot issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, 5T33Z0 said:

@Irish_Man@Henties

I don' thave a WiFI module for my Z490 Vision G. But instead of just dropping the DMAR table, I  replace it by a modified one where the Reserved Memory Regions are removed. This way, my 3rd Party Network Card works. Maybe it also works for wifi as well.

So, basically:

1. Drop the Original DMAR Table via ACPI/Delete
  2. Add the Modified one via ACPI/Add
  3. See what happens

DMAR-MOD.aml 104 B · 4 downloads

I switched original DMAR with DMAR-MOD but unfortunately it didnt work :(

I am a little hesitant to make the switch, I downgraded back to Big Sur because my Ethernet was not working, I even used a dongle before downgrading but when I logged into Windows it gave me problems.
My question is in regards to using the Fenvi T919, with this patch would the wireless and Bluetooth work with the Fenvi card?

1 hour ago, Irish_Man said:

The patch affects Ethernet chip only. No impact on your Fenvi or any other WiFi/BT card.

Awesome, I will try this patch as soon as I get home.

Thank you Irish_Man

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

Hello. I need your help. Can someone with a Z490 Vision G board and a working Clover Config  please test if he can drop the DMAR table?

I believe there's a bug in Clover r5146 which prevents it from dropping the table. I went back until Clover r5144 and it still doesn't work.

I am using a third party Ethernet Card for now, since the I225 does no longer work for my in Catalina since uI flashed the EEPROM. It works fine when Using OpenCore but it doesn't when using Clover, since the DMAR table is not dropped which it needs to be for Big Sur and newer so that card works. Instead of the original table being dropped and replaced by my modified DMAR table, I simply have  2 DMAR tables in the system and Internet is not working. I have to enable DisableIOMapper in Clover as a workaround. 

Here's the rule to Drop DMAR in Clover:

1026629291_Bildschirmfoto2022-04-19um09_49_51.png.6b191e6b810de6d96f24e205cc2eff5a.png

This is what I see when I select "New from ACPI" in macASL:

74756523_Bildschirmfoto2022-04-19um09_52_20.png.340f16421cb640bb2cc7d61c89ea2eec.png

DMAR = original table, DMAR-1 is my replacement table. If I drop and replace the Table in OC, there's only 1 DMAR table and everything is working as expected.

So if someone with a Z490 Vision G board and a working Clover Config for it could verify/falsify if dropping the DMAR Table works for her/him I'd highly appreciate it. Seem that no one in the Clover thread believes me. Thank you.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Guest 5T33Z0

@miliuco Can you please test in Clover if it's working for you? Everybody is saying "well this has been working for ages" but no one actually checks if it still works. And in my experience it currently doesn't. Dropping DMAR in OpenCore takes a bit more effort (but at least it works): https://github.com/5T33Z0/OC-Little-Translated/tree/main/00_About_ACPI/ACPI_Dropping_Tables

Guest 5T33Z0

Okay, I still don't know why the DMAR table isn't just dropped by Clover, but someone on Reddit had a solution.

Basically, you have to enable "AutoMerge". Then the patched DMAR in ACPI/patched will be merged with the one in the system and then it has the correct length and content. That's really different compared to how OpenCore handles it.

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Okay, I still don't know why the DMAR table isn't just dropped by Clover, but someone on Reddit had a solution.

Basically, you have to enable "AutoMerge". Then the patched DMAR in ACPI/patched will be merged with the one in the system and then it has the correct length and content. That's really different compared to how OpenCore handles it.

I can try but I don't have working Clover. Can I use one you posted on your Github? 

I mean, I will try your Clover for sure to see if it's working so we can test DMAR thing.

@5T33Z0

If it helps, in my system, Clover 5146 drops DMAR table without Automerge, as previous versions (if I remember well).

However, I note Automerge that is very well explained in your Clover-Crate guide.

Thanks again for your help, OC-Little-Translated is also an excellent work.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
3 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@5T33Z0

If it helps, in my system, Clover 5146 drops DMAR table without Automerge, as previous versions (if I remember well).

However, I note Automerge that is very well explained in your Clover-Crate guide.

Thanks again for your help, OC-Little-Translated is also an excellent work.

Thanks for looking into it. Really weird that dropping DMAR doesn't work on my system.

Yeah, I realized that also after I had look at the "AutoMerge" section again afterwards. I had never used it before so I totally forgot about it. If dropping DMAR would work on my system I probably wouldn't need it. But at least this method works.

• 2 weeks later...

@5T33Z0 dk_e1000=1 should be dk.e1000=1, that is what I am using for Big Sur, for Monterey e1000=1 should be used.

I use these 2 boot args in tandem, in a dual boot configururation, such as, "boot-args --> dk.e1000=0 e1000=0", to ensure that both Big Sur as well as Monterey use their respective alternative ethernet kext.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1