[Discussion] Intel i225-V on macOS Monterey

Irish_Man
380 posts in this topic

@aben I don't actually understand your response, can you please elaborate.

Oh I just noticed @eSaF already put the lid on for this one. 

Greeting Henties 

Edited by Henties
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Henties said:

@5T33Z0 dk_e1000=1 should be dk.e1000=1, that is what I am using for Big Sur, for Monterey e1000=1 should be used.

I use these 2 boot args in tandem, in a dual boot configururation, such as, "boot-args --> dk.e1000=0 e1000=0", to ensure that both Big Sur as well as Monterey use their respective alternative ethernet kext.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Greetings Henties

Thank you @Henties, your solution works like a charme.

My mistake '_' instead of '.', both arguments in tandem also.

regards 

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

@Henties That was his typo not mine ;) Anyway, if you flash the modded firmware for the I225 Controller for the Z490 Vision G you no longer need both boot-args or device properties.

@5T33Z0 Yes I agree that these boot args are not actually required provided one is happy with the "default" ethernet kext that will be loaded in this instance, however if one prefers the alternative ethernet controller kext these boot args indeed facilitate that they will actually be loaded during the boot process.

Greetings Henties

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Henties That was his typo not mine ;) Anyway, if you flash the modded firmware for the I225 Controller for the Z490 Vision G you no longer need both boot-args or device properties.

@5T33Z0 I have tried without both arguments. Nor BS or Monterey boot. I flashed I225 long time ago in Windows.

I dont understand why, different motherboard? Am I doing something wrong? What is the 'modded firmware'?

Anyway thank you for helping.

@Joshua60 try and find @5T33Z0 's posting or rather link to his detailed explanation on dropping the DMAR table and removing 2 reserved memory regions as well as @badbrain 's explanation on how to load replacement firmware for a Gigabyte mobo with an onboard Intel i225-v ethernet controller.  Once that is done you do not need any of the kernel parameters to get the i225-v controller working provided you are happy with the standard ethernet kext which will be loaded by default. I you however wish that your i255-v controller is managed by the alternative kext that is available in Monterey you need the kernel boot arguments to accomplish that.

Important though is that @badbrain 's method is intended for Gigabyte mobos but may also be effective in your case with your ASUS mobo. You mentioned that you have already loaded replacement firmware for your ASUS mobo via Windoze so I suggest, as a supplementary step, that you drop your DMAR table and remove the reserved memory regions, you might just be golden once done. As mentioned before try and find @5T33Z0 excellent instructions to accomplish that.

Greetings Henties 

• Thanks 1

Guest 5T33Z0
2 hours ago, Joshua60 said:

@5T33Z0 I have tried without both arguments. Nor BS or Monterey boot. I flashed I225 long time ago in Windows.

I dont understand why, different motherboard? Am I doing something wrong? What is the 'modded firmware'?

Anyway thank you for helping.

https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/blob/main/I225-V_FIX.md#readme

But this is for the I225-V on Gigabyte Z490 vision G (andf mayby other gigabyte boards) which have a wrong header in the firmware so therefore it wouldn't work in macOS Monterey. You would have to check if it uses the same component before flashing it.

8 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

https://github.com/5T33Z0/Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-G-Hackintosh-OpenCore/blob/main/I225-V_FIX.md#readme

But this is for the I225-V on Gigabyte Z490 vision G (andf mayby other gigabyte boards) which have a wrong header in the firmware so therefore it wouldn't work in macOS Monterey. You would have to check if it uses the same component before flashing it.

Somebody have the I225V-Mod.zip file? I can't find anywhere

Thanks!

Guest 5T33Z0
On 5/6/2022 at 12:00 AM, ancabi said:

Somebody have the I225V-Mod.zip file? I can't find anywhere

Thanks!

Edited by 5T33Z0

@5T33Z0Delete the files from your post. I have added the files to my post again and if the download should be deleted there again by the admins, then i don't want it to be shared by other users. In case of repeated removal of the download, the files will no longer exist here and then it has to stay that way. If someone is then still interested, he can contact me with a message.

1 hour ago, badbrain said:

@5T33Z0Delete the files from your post. I have added the files to my post again and if the download should be deleted there again by the admins, then i don't want it to be shared by other users. In case of repeated removal of the download, the files will no longer exist here and then it has to stay that way. If someone is then still interested, he can contact me with a message.

if the download here is really always made unavailable, i can understand your frustration. also i understand that you don't want @5T33Z0 to redistribute it here then.

• Thanks 1

Guest 5T33Z0

@Henry.M. I removed the .zip from my post.

BUT JUST TO BE CLEAR: I think badbrain deleted the zips himself! You see, me and him don't go along well. He said some pretty mean things to me in the past, that's why I block all his content. Despite his knowledge and ingenuity (which I respect) I think he is toxic and has proven that over and over again on various occasions.

That's why I believe the following happened instead: once he noticed that I wrote a guide for my Z490 Vision G repo which linked to his post on the german hackintosh forum, he deleted the zip file so that my guide would be useless. Once I noticed that the zip was removed from his post on the german forum, I linked to his post here instead. And soon after that the zip was deleted here as well. So i don't really think the zip was removed by mods (in 2 different forums).

Have a nice weekend.

Edited by 5T33Z0

I don't see a problem why @5T33Z0 wouldn't post the file under his posts/guides/GitHub. 

I really appreciate @badbrain’s help with i255-V issue. 
At the same time I even more appreciate @5T33Z0’s contribution to this forum and all his Hackintosh help/guides/fixes here and his GitHub account. 
As long as credits to the author are there, why care under which name is posted. 
I was thinking to link the “fix” to the 1st post of this thread so people dont have to scroll over the pages to find it but since it’s going up and down i choose not to. 

Edited by Irish_Man
  • Like 1

@5T33Z0 and @badbrain

Please resolve your issues via PM not in a public topic and remember that you are in a public forum so please always be respectful to all the members and each other.

@badbrain mods and admins just don't delete the attachments or post without a good reason and even if an attachment or post is against our rules usually the user will be notified or will be warned which I really don't think that it's the case here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

... mods and admins just don't delete the attachments or post without a good reason and even if an attachment or post is against our rules usually the user will be notified or will be warned which I really don't think that it's the case here.

... which is why now, I only contribute to InsanelyMac.  I found that another forum was arbitrarily deleting posts without explanation and without first giving the poster a chance at an explanation.  It's why I remain loyal to InsanelyMac.  Great job Mods and Admins.  Thank you.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:58 AM, Irish_Man said:

After i set DisableIOMapper to NO, i lost Wifi. Basically, i can use Ethernrt or Wifi, not both. If i want to use Wifi i had to set it to YES. But then, i cant use Ethernet. 
Anyone else experienced this problem? 
By lost, I mean i cant turn Wifi ON. It’s there, recognized in Sysprefs but cant turn it on.

If I set DisableIOMapper to NO, I also lose wi-fi and the other Ethernet connection. @Irish_man Have you solved this problem?

1 hour ago, S.V. said:

If I set DisableIOMapper to NO, I also lose wi-fi and the other Ethernet connection. @Irish_man Have you solved this problem?

You can either have WIFi or Ethernet enabled. Depends if DisableIOMapper is On or OFF.

Using this fix, you can't have both at the same time. 

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0

@S.V. There's a discussion about the mentioned in the Documentation.pdf. https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/24414555f2c07e06a3674ec7a2aa1ce4860bbcc7#commitcomment-70921265

So basically, once you remove the memory region(s) to make Ethernet work, Wifi modules no longer work. So it's either Wifi or Ethernet. Maybe a USB dongle is a solution.

Maybe if you get a Wifi dongle which connects via USB instead of PCIe could be a workaround.

Guest 5T33Z0

@miliuco Since I flashed the custom firmware on the I225, I was wondering what would happen if I only removed one of the two memory regions from the DMAR table to see if Ethernet still worked. My rationale was, maybe the memory region for the XHCI controller (PCI Path : 14,00)  is somehow required for a WiFi Card to work. So I created 2 different replacement tables for testing: one which had the first memory region removed, and 2nd one which had the other memory region removed.

So I enabled DMAR replacement table 1 and rebooted to see if Ethernet still worked – it did.

Then I tested the 2nd table – Ethernet still worked. Which at this point made no sense to me.

I concluded, if both cases work, how about not dropping and replacing the DMAR table at all.

Result: I225 still worked. But DisableIoMapper has to be disabled

So, for everybody trying to get their wifi cards working, you could try to so what happens if you DON'T drop and replace the DMAR table at all. Unfortunately, I don't have a wifi card on my Desktop PC so I cannot test this.

@S.V. @HentiesSince @Irish_Man reported I225 and Wifi are actually both working at the same time, here are step by step instructions.

In other words:

1. Enable Vt-d in BIOS
  2. Disable Kernel > Quirks > DisableIoMapper
  3. Flash the custom firmware for the I225-V EEPROM
  4. Disable DeviceProperties for the I225-V
  5. DON'T Drop the DMAR table =
    1. Disable ACPI > Add > DMAR (The rule for loading the DMAR replacement table) and
    2. Disable ACPI > Delete > DMAR (The rule for dropping the OEM DMAR table)
  6. Save, reboot

Both, Ethernet and WiFi should work now.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Guest 5T33Z0

Under "Add" should be the modified DMAR table with removed memory regions. Disable that.

To drop and replace the DMAR table with a modified one you need 2 rules, btw.

1251351573_Bildschirmfoto2022-05-10um22_15_58.png.ea1a3275093ebd50c414c297f4124d05.png

1296826949_Bildschirmfoto2022-05-10um22_16_10.png.30a53a6ba053bde8f07fde217b09111c.png

Edited by 5T33Z0