[GUIDE] Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh

deeveedee
873 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, rafale77 said:

Things I would do if I were you:

1. Disable the USBPorts.kext, enable the XHCIPortLimit patch and USBInjectAll.kext

2. Change the SMBIOS from MacMini8,1 to IMac20,1 and regenerate serials

I would suspect that the G6 would boot. My next step if it still fails would be to look into the iGPU connector patches which may need to be different. Sorry I don’t have a G6 to test but my Lenovo should indeed be very similar.

I'm using your iGPU 0.8.0r2 now. G6 boots into the Apple logo and a indicator without any info about how many minutes left. I have changed the SMBIOS to iMac20,1, but have no idea how to disable the USBPorts.kext, enable the XHCIPortLimit patch and USBInjectAll.kext.

I upgraded my HP Elitedesk 800 G5 Mini BIOS to version 02.12.10 Rev.A (released 16 March 2022).  Since the BIOS couldn't be applied via the built-in BIOS updater, I applied the update using the HP BIOS recovery technique.  The upgrade from 02.12.00 was painless and was quicker than previous BIOS updates.  I suspect this update didn't have to make many BIOS changes.  I don't notice any differences in system behavior and Monterey continues to run perfectly.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@Renegade Based on the details you provided, I'm guessing it's the power cord.  Just joking - without more detail, it will be difficult to help you.  What model is your HP PC?  Was sleep wake working with OC 0.7.8 and macOS 12.2.1?  Please post your EFI.  Please describe the exact sleep / wake behavior that you are seeing.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Renegade Based on the details you provided, I'm guessing it's the power cord.  Just joking - without more detail, it will be difficult to help you.  What model is your HP PC?  Was sleep wake working with OC 0.7.8 and macOS 12.2.1?  Please post your EFI.  Please describe the exact sleep / wake behavior that you are seeing.

Lol, a classic one but a good one indeed @deeveedee 🙂

I thought my signature was showing my rig, but maybe it isn't shown to everyone.
So here it is: HP EliteDesk Mini 800 G4 - Core i5 8600 - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB NVME + 2TB SATA.
I should add that I use the 90w power adapter and output display through Display port to a 4K monitor.

Wake from sleep was working before update, yes (OC 0.7.8 and macOS 12.2.1). I did not changed any BIOS setting since.

Since those updates, when the computer is woken from sleep, fans and leds are behaving like they would at idle but the monitor doesn't get any signal, mouse and keyboard aren't getting USB power either.

EDIT: EFI.zip added

EFI.zip

Edited by Renegade
EFI added

@Renegade The graphics DeviceProperties in your config.plist have framebuffer types set to HDMI.  You indicated that you're using DP port to 4K monitor.  Does your monitor also have a DP port, or are you using an adapter (e.g. DP->HDMI)?  If you are using DP on your HP EliteDesk and your monitor has DP port, you shouldn't be using type HDMI.  If you don't know how to patch graphics for your rig, please provide your exact graphics configuration (port types on your HP EliteDesk, port types on your monitor).

Also, you are injecting BlueToolFixup.kext.  You have not modified your USB port map for BlueTooth.  Just making sure you know.

One more thing (last in this post, I promise)... You should probably reread the installation instructions here.

Edited by deeveedee

Thank you Deeveedee, I will investigate in this sense and report here if needed.

To be honest, I've been a bit lazy until now as it was previously working out of the box, thanks to your great work.

Edited by Renegade

The prices of the EliteDesk G4 and G5 Minis is starting to come back to earth.  At the time of this post, it's still hard to find/build the G5 Mini i9-9900 / 32GB / 2 x 512GB NVMe SSD / 1 x 2 TB SATA HD for under $1000 USD (let alone the $700 USD that I paid), but you should be able to find a 65W i5-9500 / 16GB G5 Mini for a reasonably low price.  Based on my own purchasing experience, here are the features that I'd look for if I were purchasing an HP EliteDesk Mini now: 

• G5 Mini (for compatibility with 9th Gen Intel CPUs)
  • 65 Watt version (more flexibility than 35W version) - includes vented cover and copper CPU heatsink
  • i5-9500 for best price/performance
  • 90W or 150W AC Adapter

After comparing the G4, G5 and G6 Minis, I like the G5 Mini for price/performance and I like the fact that the G4/G5 Minis have two USB 3.1 Type A ports and one USB 3.1 Type-C port on the front bezel and two audio jacks on the front bezel (one 3.5mm stereo connector and one 3.5mm CTIA headset connector).

If you need to maximize performance out of the G5 Mini, it's a killer hack with an i9-9900 and 2x16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMMs.  Performance is best when both memory slots are populated.

The price of new Apple Silicon Macs and the supported lifetime of Intel-based hacks is making the purchase of a real Mac more and more appealing.  For me, it's very likely that my next purchase will be a real Mac.  This HackMini8,1 can easily outperform price/performance of a real Intel-based MacMini8,1, so if you need a Mac now, this hack remains a fantastic choice with lots of configuration options.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Been trying to get such a Mini ever since we started to exchange @deeveedee as the Intel NUCs had skyrocketed in the last 2,5 years, but "back to Earth" prices most likely apply to US continent ; over in EU there haven't been any real deals I could find (I am excluding eBay private sales as this is riskier, refer to shops refurbishing them and offering some sort of warranty) especially 8th Generation and newer platforms... In any case thanks for keeping the dream alive mate, sorry for the slightly off-post :D  (and yes let's see that real-Mac pricing too, you are right).

• Like 1

@MacKonstiThe G4/G5 mini prices @deeveedee is talking about have to be for used ones. He is also an exceptional shopper (and I deem myself to be a pretty good one) so it’s not just a US Vs. EU thing. In the US I see a lot of large institutions/local governments using these and at some point upgrade and dump them on the market in large quantities. This is more true for the HP than it is for the competing Lenovo and to a lesser degree Dell. I actually more frequently find Lenovos in Canada. At this time a basic i5 model new runs for about $800 (G6/G8) when on sale. In the current market, the discount for a used/refurbished is only $100-150 which may not be enough to take the risk though the warranty on these units is often very well covered over 3 year.

• Like 1

Salut @rafale77 yes obviously for used/second-hand ones in mainland Europe (France, Belgium, Germany). I mentioned the word "refurbished". I was looking to sites that refurbish them, such as www.backmarket.fr or and www.abfshop.at that are credible and offer some warranty for a few months (in contrast to eBay sellers). In any case, the pricing for second-hand has always been better on the other side of the Atlantic than in Europe :D Just a side-comment to the thread, don't want to "pollute" @deeveedee's excellent thread. Cheers

• Like 1

HP has released BIOS version 02.13.00 Rev.A for the EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini and BIOS version 02.19.00 Rev.A for the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini.  It's nice to see that HP is actively continuing to support these fantastic mini platforms.

EDIT: The EliteDesk G5 Mini BIOS upgrade to 02.13.00 Rev.A was painless.  I needed to use the BIOS recovery method here, as the built-in BIOS updater did not work for me.

EDIT2: If anyone tests new BIOS updates for the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini with macOS, please report your G4 Mini BIOS version and test results here.  I have not been testing a G4 Mini with the latest HP BIOS updates.  Thank you.

EDIT 3: I tested macOS on an EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini with BIOS 02.19.00 Rev.A and it works fine.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

EDIT: I performed an installation test with Monterey 12.4 and did not need the patched AppleAHCIPort.kext mentioned below.  Maybe this was needed only for Big Sur?  Not sure.  Leaving this in case we need it for subsequent releases of macOS.

I'm doing some testing on an EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini and using a SATA SSD as my main volume for Big Sur.  In order to install Big Sur on the SATA SSD, I needed to add Catalina's patched AppleAHCIPort.kext as discussed here.  I have not installed macOS on a SATA SSD since Catalina, so I have not encountered this before and never needed to reference this in this guide.  Without the patched AppleAHCIPort.kext, the Big Sur installer would not "see" the SATA SSD.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I use DP->DVI graphics adapters to drive my DVI LCD displays from the DP ports on my hackmini.  My DVI displays still work perfectly with Monterey.   When I first created this hackmini solution in May 2020 (with macOS Catalina), there were no guides that I found that recommend/supported the use of graphics adapters with UHD630 (if there were guides, they weren't the most popular guides that we know and follow and I never found them), so it was only through brute force trial and error that I found the working combination of FrameBuffer 0x3E920000 (a mobile framebuffer) and port type DVI.  I later discovered that other mobile Framebuffers worked as well (along with port type DVI).  After finding that port type DVI did not work with Monterey, it was through trial and error again that I discovered that port type HDMI worked with both Monterey and Big Sur for DP->DVI adapters.

As you've probably noticed in my EFI attached to Post #1, I use the "long form" to specify graphics DeviceProperties (each property has its own entry), because I find it easier to read and modify.  I recently attempted to simplify my DeviceProperties for DP->DVI adapters by experimenting with different connector indices and different BusIDs.  To my surprise, my brief experimentation did not reveal any other working combinations of connector indices / BusIDs for DP->DVI adapters, so it appears that my discovery of working DeviceProperties for DP->DVI adapters had a significant amount of luck.  Given the amount of work that went into this hack, I'll take it :)

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Hi deeveedee.

I have a peculiar issue and cannot seem to solve it.  I have 2 x G4 Minis (1 x 8100t processor (i3) & 1 x 8700t processor (i7).  

I have just built the i7 (following all of your guidance etc) - everything works perfectly except sleep - it freezes (but only when the NIC is connected).  If the NIC is not connected then sleep works fine.  I have built both machines the same way and double check BIOS etc,  The i3 G4 works perfectly with the NIC connected, same network, same network cables etc).  

I might have missed something along the way, but just cannot see it.  I am connecting both machines the same (1xDP cable straight to monitor).  Would you mind having a look at the attached please, or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

EFI.zip

Edited by Nudehead
  • Like 1

@Nudehead 

Congrats on your two builds!  I haven't seen this myself and this is the first time (for me) that such an issue is reported, so I'll guess at a few things to check:

SSD

• Are both units booting from and running with the same SSD mfg/model?  What type of SSD (SATA / M.2 NVMe), Mfg and Model SSD are you using?

3rd Party Apps

• Are you running any Security Software (e.g. McAfee or Norton)?
  • Are you running any VPNs that are restablishing connection after sleep?

BIOS

• Are the two units running the same BIOS version?  What BIOS version are you running?
  • Boot Options: Network (PXE) Boot: Unchecked
  • Boot Options: Wake On LAN: Disabled
  • Remote Management: Intel Management Engine (ME): checked
  • Remote Management: Intel Active Management: unchecked

System Preferences -> Energy Saver

• Wake for Network Access: Disabled
  • Enable Power Nap: Disabled

Also, since you are using DP ports straight through to DP ports on your display (no adapters), the AAPL,ig-platform-id that you are using (0xe39b0007) is sufficient without most of the other Device Property modifiers.  It looks like you know what you are doing, so you should be able to review the framebuffer definition here and you'll see what I mean.  That doesn't explain the Ethernet/Sleep behavior - I'm just letting you know in case you want to simplify your config.plist.

ID: 3E9B0007, STOLEN: 57 MB, FBMEM: 0 bytes, VRAM: 1536 MB, Flags: 0x00801302
TOTAL STOLEN: 58 MB, TOTAL CURSOR: 1 MB (1572864 bytes), MAX STOLEN: 172 MB, MAX OVERALL: 173 MB (181940224 bytes)
Model name: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Camellia: CamelliaDisabled (0), Freq: 0 Hz, FreqMax: 0 Hz
Mobile: 0, PipeCount: 3, PortCount: 3, FBMemoryCount: 3
[1] busId: 0x05, pipe: 9, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
[2] busId: 0x04, pipe: 10, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
[3] busId: 0x06, pipe: 8, type: 0x00000400, flags: 0x000003C7 - ConnectorDP
01050900 00040000 C7030000
02040A00 00040000 C7030000
03060800 00040000 C7030000

Edited by deeveedee

Thanks deeveedee

both using NVME. And have even swapped out the drives and rebuilt both. But issue prevails only on i7

I have no other software other than MAC OS - literally vanilla OS builds. 

BIOS and energy settings - yes. Have doubled checked and followed your guides at both here and over at Tonymac. 

The only thing I can think of is trying different platform id on the i7. I could never get your platform Id you are using going. In fact not much luck with any of the mobile framebuffers - but probably should revisit.  I have specified the connectors simply to cater for the HDMI port

I don’t know much about ACPI - just really strange than when the NIC is connected sleep does not work and keyboard does not wake my monitor (even tried different monitors). 

I’ll try some different framebuffers. I even tried rolling back intelmausi.kext to 1.0.5. - but no luck. 

as I say the i3 is perfect - just scratching my head on the i7. Using darkwake 2 on both. Should I try different 3, 8, 10?

@Nudehead One of my G4 Minis had an i7-8700T and I had no problems.  I don't think looking for needed changes to the posted EFI is going to get you far - it's fairly well vetted.  Experimenting with different framebuffers is not likely to lead you to the solution, either.  If your graphics works, you can leave graphics DeviceProperties alone.  

Why did you change PlatformInfo > Generic > Processor Type in your config.plist?  

Also, ocvalidate for OpenCore 0.8.0 reports that you have an error in your config.plist.  I noticed that you have an empty <key></key><data></data> in your config.plist graphics DeviceProperties.

EDIT: One other thought: are you also running Windows and if so, do you have any issues with Sleep when running Windows?

Edited by deeveedee

Deeveedee

I have solved it - and ocvalidate led me to it.  On the i7 I must have made a config change using opencore configurator (this led to 3/4 errors in OC validate - (2 of them were relating to quirks).

Once I had reinstalled the OS, retraced all of my steps and used Propertree for the config.plist amends and re-implemented power options - the i7 is working.

Thanks-you again for looking at this for me - OC validate really helped me here.... 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, rafale77 said:

Things I would do if I were you:

1. Disable the USBPorts.kext, enable the XHCIPortLimit patch and USBInjectAll.kext

2. Change the SMBIOS from MacMini8,1 to IMac20,1 and regenerate serials

I would suspect that the G6 would boot. My next step if it still fails would be to look into the iGPU connector patches which may need to be different. Sorry I don’t have a G6 to test but my Lenovo should indeed be very similar.

Also highly suggest starting a new thread for the G6 as it is off topic for this thread.

Guys, after lots of lots of time and effort, I have succeeded in installing Monterey on my HP EliteDesk 800 G6. Big big thanks to @deeveedee and @rafale77.

z3430139663904_3d024dc4c76954e2e316f65c8ceaca29.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This new EFI is the result of some experimentation that I'm doing, where I needed to modify the _WAK method for testing.  It is not a critical update.

Attached is an updated EFI for this HackMini8,1.  I'm not attaching it to the first post in this thread, but may include the changes after a new OpenCore version is released.  The attached EFI includes an ACPI patch that implements Rehabman's _WAK fix.  It's a fix that I used to include routinely in my hacks, but had inadvertently dropped the fix when I switched from CLOVER to OpenCore.  You can read more about the _WAK fix directly from Rehabman here.   My implementation of his fix renames _WAK to XWAK (via an ACPI patch) and adds a new _WAK (see SSDT-WAK) that takes corrective action if Arg0 to _WAK is corrupt.  I have experienced a failed wake on this rig only once that I can recall and am not sure if this fix would have compensated.  The fix does nothing if the problem does not occur, so it's harmless.

OC0.8.0-EFI-r002.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I performed the upgrade from OC 0.8.0 to OC 0.8.1 with following changes.  My new OC 0.8.1 EFI is attached to Post #1.

Upgrade OC 0.8.0 to OC 0.8.1

• EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Updated OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Added ResetNvramEntry.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.7.1 -> 1.7.2
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.8 -> 1.5.9
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • EFI/OC/config.plist:
    • Removed Misc > Security > AllowNvramReset
    • Removed Misc > Security > AllowToggleSip
    • Added NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > ForceDisplayRotationInEFI (Integer, 0)
    • Added UEFI > Drivers > Item 3 (ResetNvramEntry.efi)
    • Added ACPI patch to rename _WAK to XWAK (paired with SSDT-WAK)
    • Added ACPI Add for SSDT-WAK
  • EFI/OC/ACPI:
    • Added SSDT-WAK to handle potential corrupt Arg0 on wake from sleep (Rehabman's _WAK fix)

EDIT: I haven't tried this yet, but according to @miliuco here, adding --preserve-boot to the Arguments for driver ResetNvramEntry.efi will preserve BIOS boot order.  It may be necessary to add this to preserve the BIOS boot order of our HackMinis when resetting NVRAM.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 6/8/2022 at 12:27 AM, deeveedee said:

Our HackMini8,1 is still on the supported devices list for the latest macOS, Ventura.  Here's a list of Ventura's supported devices.

Have you try to install Ventura already ? I had no luck on my ProDesk. Stuck on "AppleKeyStoreTest" with all the suggested quirks.