AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,857 posts in this topic

I think I am missing something. I did the above steps (I think!) but I can not boot from the internal drive, only from my USB thumbdrive.

You say "clean nvram," I am using the ResetNVRAM command on the USB drive. Is that right? Also you mention "name the drive OpenCore." Not sure how to do that.

If i do not boot from my USB thumbdrive, none of my drives show up here:

IMG_5305.jpg

1 hour ago, pkdesign said:

If i do not boot from my USB thumbdrive, none of my drives show up here:

Ok - I see no Drives in your pic, Try this:

1. Replace the BOOTx64.efi Folder to the EFI Folder containing the file.

2. Boot from your main Drive into the BIOS and in 'Boot Options Priorities' Opencore should be there also.

3. Choose Opencore as the Boot Drive, and remove any other apart from the Windows Drive save the settings and reboot.

4. At the Desktop mount your EFI Partition and remove the BOOTx64.efi and reboot the machine.

5. Without cleaning the Nvram let the machine continue to the Desktop. This is the method I did on mine.

PS - See attached pics of my BIOS and EFI Folder

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 17.57.26.png

IMG_0560.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 18.11.54.png

Edited by eSaF
Added Info:

@eSaF - any chance you could post your efi for me please. I'm running OC 0.8.3 but have no reset NVRAM efi in my drivers folder and am still using the older Clean NVRAM via the Tools folder. God knows if it still functions correctly. So I'd like to compare my folder to yours, ignoring obviously differences like gpu's etc and get things a bit more ship shape and squared off. 

3 hours ago, jimborae said:

@eSaF - any chance you could post your efi for me please. I'm running OC 0.8.3 but have no reset NVRAM efi in my drivers folder and am still using the older Clean NVRAM via the Tools folder. God knows if it still functions correctly. So I'd like to compare my folder to yours, ignoring obviously differences like gpu's etc and get things a bit more ship shape and squared off. 

Hi - I don't know how much this EFI will help apart from the Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi you asked for because there are a few tweaks pertaining to my rig and personal preference but here you are hope it helps. (personal data removed)

BTW by the end of this week, this will be the last time for me on the Z390 Platform as I will be upgrading to 11th Gen Platform and very much going into unknown territory and all the struggles within.

EFI.zip

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Hi - I don't know how much this EFI will help apart from the Drivers/ResetNvramEntry.efi you asked for because there are a few tweaks pertaining to my rig and personal preference but here you are hope it helps. (personal data removed)

BTW by the end of this week, this will be the last time for me on the Z390 Platform as I will be upgrading to 11th Gen Platform and very much going into unknown territory and all the struggles within.

EFI.zip 84.12 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Yep understood re differences but I'm sure it will help, if only for the Reset NVRAM. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eSaF said:

Oh no! We will miss you here on the Z390 forum! First @AudioGod and now you!

Edited by pkdesign
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, pkdesign said:

Okay, that seemed to work. Hopefully it holds. If not, I know how to fix it again, thanks!

No worries there, it will hold even when you clean Nvram but as you rightly said, it is easily fixed if it breaks. Just remember you do need the BOOTx64.efi Folder in the installer USB Drive always.

• Like 1

I think I made a mistake:

as I said I did use OCAuxillaryTools to update my second drive EFI partition and upgraded the copy of macOS on that drive to Monterey... works... BUT... booting from that EFI doesn't show me the other drive catalina install. (which is my main install)

now I did use OCAuxillaryTools to update my first drive EFI partition.... and now I don't see the catalina install their either... which is a problem.

I did already reset the NVRAM but no catalina..

Don't know if it matters:

Main macOS (Catalina) on 970 EVO Plus NVMe

Backup macOS (now Monterey) on EVO 850

Any idea?

Edited by dredhorse

21 hours ago, eSaF said:

Finally ...  your (delayed ) birthday present ? 😇

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, eSaF said:

EFI.zip 84.12 MB · 2 downloads

i've downloaded your efi...just curious 🙂 ahah ...just a little question...

why you use plug and awac acpi aml?... aorus pro z390 doesn't have awac...and plug is no longer needed from monterey.. 🙂

uh just another question... why NvmExpressDxe.efi? 🙂 

54 minutes ago, D3v1L said:

i've downloaded your efi...just curious 🙂 ahah ...just a little question...

why you use plug and awac acpi aml?... aorus pro z390 doesn't have awac...and plug is no longer needed from monterey.. 🙂

uh just another question... why NvmExpressDxe.efi? 🙂 

Awac was there from the start and I just left it also NvmExpressDxe.efi for the M.2 Drives in my system???!!!. Whether right or wrong it's all irrelevant now as I am in the process to retire this Board and components. It served well while it lasted but now it has cost me a boat load of money and probably a good tongue lashing plus endless nagging from the other half.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Awac was there from the start and I just left it also NvmExpressDxe.efi for the M.2 Drives in my system???!!!. Whether right or wrong it's all irrelevant now as I am in the process to retire this Board and components. It served well while it lasted but now it has cost me a boat load of money and probably a good tongue lashing plus endless nagging from the other half.

"Awac was there from the start and I just left it"

awac and rtc patch on aorus pro not needed 'couse no awac timer in this board...but ok...

"NvmExpressDxe.efi for the M.2 Drives in my system???!!!"

this driver is needed for see NVMe in bootloader pick...is deprecated and not needed anymore from, maybe, opencore 0.5.0?! ...

ec-usbx aml need to be a Laptop version, 'couse this board have own "_sta"

and for "OpenCore" boot entry in bios, simply :

have ProtectUefiServices true on config.plist...

reset nvram,

reboot,

select with f12 the disk with efi on it

move to "Macintosh HD" on bootloader

hold "ctrl" key and press "enter"...

this create a new default boot entry in bios...named "OpenCore"

6 hours ago, D3v1L said:

"Awac was there from the start and I just left it"

awac and rtc patch on aorus pro not needed 'couse no awac timer in this board...but ok...

"NvmExpressDxe.efi for the M.2 Drives in my system???!!!"

this driver is needed for see NVMe in bootloader pick...is deprecated and not needed anymore from, maybe, opencore 0.5.0?! ...

A lot of us have had this board from the beginning and along the way things have changed dramatically. We don’t always get rid of the cruft in our EFIs and sometimes we don’t add or change newer items as long as our systems continue to work. I, for one, recently realized I didn’t need PLUG nor the BOOTx64.efi.

Also, each of us has a system configured differently, so each item in our respective EFIs may, or may, not be need in someone else's. That is why, of course, you should always build your own EFI using Dortania guide. It is perfectly okay to use another EFI like AudioGod's in the original post as a guide but better to make your own.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, D3v1L said:

yep...better make your own, if you know how........ 🙂 

in 90% of cases it makes no difference.

in your signature we see hardware that is sometimes better to start from scratch(TRX40) but simple hardware like CoffeeLake, AlderLake, etc we can use the EFI from first post for example or any other and Modify/Remove what we need. Obviously there are folders that we see around that are impossible to use.

This "create your folder" doesn't really make much sense for most hardware.

• Like 3

ok.. this drives me nuts...

deleted my partitions on the second (backup) drive, put the new EFI that EFI partition.

copied all data from my main drive over again to my backup drive.

boot from backup EFI with new OC.... NO mac drives found

boot from normal EFI with old OC... both mac drives found.

cleaned backup EFI and copied a version over... same behaviour

tried reset nvram... same behaviour

and I can boot without any problems into the back disk.

SO.... what is fishy with the new EFI... I think I will post my both EFIs tomorrow perhaps somebody can help me figure it out.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:43 PM, eSaF said:

EFI.zip 84.12 MB · 14 downloads

What motherboard are you going with? 

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my Epson v700 Photo Scanner getting detected with Firewire 400 (using Gigabyte Titan-Ridge Card in Slot 4 through a series of adapters, FW400 > FW800 > TB2 > TB3). I haven't used my scanner since I switched to OpenCore, but even with Clover, sometimes it didn't get detected unless unplug/replug or have the scanner on before I boot. However, my old tricks aren't working anymore. Neither Epson Scan or VueScan sees the scanner.  I can always switch to USB2, but that it is slower than FW400.

I'm using the same SSDT that I used with Clover (SSDT-Z390-RP21-SLOT4-TB3HP.aml). I checked and it is added and is loading last. The Firewire port is showing up on the Network control panel. Any suggestions?