AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,856 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 3:22 AM, eSaF said:

@Project 2501 - Hi I have the same Motherboard as you and don't have that problem, Sleep/Wake works perfect for me. The thing is with CMOS resetting you need to check that this setting in the config.plist is set like the attached. When this happens, you should down the p/c, remove the power cable, press the power button for approx 15 seconds to dispel any latent power in the capacitors. Now remove the CMOS battery for approx 15 seconds.

After replacing the battery and power cable, power up the machine which should induce a message about a BIOS reset and should boot straight into the BIOS.

Look at the BIOS Clock albeit the Time and Year will be wrong and will need resetting, take note at the Seconds Digits, it should be counting up the Seconds, if it is static (not moving) then the CMOS reset was not successful and will continue to be problematic but if the steps as describe are done properly, you will not have a recurrence of the CMOS problem.

My attached EFI Folder is OC 0.8.2  version with latest kexts versions, booting BS, Monterey and now Ventura with no problems, all Apple Services i.e iMessage, F/Time, Apple TV, App Store etc all perfect and working.

Try my folder on a test USB  drive by booting off it after cleaning the Nvram and see the result, you'll need to furnish the config.plist with your own data i.e S/N, SmUUID, ROM etc as I removed mine. Good luck.

Hi again!

I finally have some free time to try out your EFI. Over a month has passed since you first attached your EFI, so I used OCAT to update OC to 0.8.2-Release; also updated the KEXTs and drivers to the latest versions.

I just have a few questions before I give it a test drive. I compared your EFI with my current one that was based on @AudioGod's original, and I understand most of the changes, but there are a few items I'm not sure what they are for.

1. SSDT-6.aml: This is not present in my current EFI. I'm not sure what this does.
  2. eSaFNVMeFix.kext: Neither NVMeFix.kext or eSaFNVMeFix.kext are present in my current EFI. How is this different from the regular NVMeFix.kext? Where do I go to keep this updated?
  3. USBMap.kext: This is missing from @eSaF's EFI, but is present in mine. Not needed anymore? How are USB ports mapped in your EFI?
  4. Model Identifier iMac20,2: I've been using iMac19,1 up to this point. I assume this is a better match.

Thanks again for posting your EFI! Hopefully it will solve my sleep issues.

@Project 2501 - To answer your questions, 1. The SSDT-6.aml is the USB Mapped file that replaced the USBMap.kext and was created using the USBTool Box (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQqNeZr5v5AhXMiVwKHX9aBhQQFnoECAYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FUSBToolBox%2Ftool&usg=AOvVaw25yEK7NBqRx4bnk68nMm1x)

2. The eSaFNVMeFix.kext is a modified NVMeFix.kext to display 'Apple SSD Controller' instead of 'Generic SSD Controller' in System Report but is purely cosmetic (see attached) and is catered solely for my machine, I should have removed it and use the generic NVMeFix.kext, there is a tutorial on I/M how this is done.

3. USBMap.kext as explained in 1.

4. Model Identifier iMac20,2 is what I use for preference, use whatever Mac model is to your liking.

Spoiler

576194981_Screenshot2022-07-28at11_31_10.png.f9d74f217e2469fab50899c596cbb816.png

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:46 AM, eSaF said:

@Project 2501 - To answer your questions, 1. The SSDT-6.aml is the USB Mapped file that replaced the USBMap.kext and was created using the USBTool Box (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQqNeZr5v5AhXMiVwKHX9aBhQQFnoECAYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FUSBToolBox%2Ftool&usg=AOvVaw25yEK7NBqRx4bnk68nMm1x)

2. The eSaFNVMeFix.kext is a modified NVMeFix.kext to display 'Apple SSD Controller' instead of 'Generic SSD Controller' in System Report but is purely cosmetic (see attached) and is catered solely for my machine, I should have removed it and use the generic NVMeFix.kext, there is a tutorial on I/M how this is done.

3. USBMap.kext as explained in 1.

4. Model Identifier iMac20,2 is what I use for preference, use whatever Mac model is to your liking.

Reveal hidden contents

576194981_Screenshot2022-07-28at11_31_10.png.f9d74f217e2469fab50899c596cbb816.png

Well, I finally got a chance to try it out. I changed the ID to iMac19,1, added the SSDT for the Titan Ridge TB3 card, and removed boot picker themes I won't be using... Of course, I reset the NVRAM as well. I'm currently using the BIOS setting recommended by @AudioGod's original guide.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't sleep properly if I choose to do it manually from Apple menu. I haven't tried letting it sleep from inactivity. However, the sleep behavior has changed. When I try to wake it from sleep, it reboots instead. This is marginally better, since the previous behavior had it "hang" after waking, leaving me with an unresponsive machine with no display output, and it would cause my BIOS to reset.

For some reason, my Windows 10 drive in the boot picker menu is shown as "Windows 11 Pro" instead of the drive name.

The boot picker icons are displayed larger and the background picture fills the entire screen now. With my previous EFI, the background picture was centered on the background color and the icons were displayed smaller.

I was startled to hear the Apple startup chime! Never bothered to turn this on before since I installed an old school piezoelectric beeper.

Oh well... even though it didn't solve my sleep issues, it didn't hurt to update to the latest OC and drivers.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, panosru said:

installed macOS v12.5 without any issue on OC 0.8.3 [DEV]

Great to hear! @panosru

I have almost identical hardware to yours, so just follow the guide in the beginning of this post + latest OC and OCAT would work fine? I am aiming for latest Monterey

Edited by Ziadantosh
added a mention

6 hours ago, pkdesign said:

Updated to OC 083 with OCAT with no issues. :thumbsup_anim:

Same here, with 12.5. Model firmware now appears to be declared old (I check using EclecticLightCo’s SilentKnight), but functionality remains.

Expected model firmware is often updated by the fruit company with OS updates, but sometimes afterwards (as in this case). For our hacks, nothing actually gets updated in NVRAM, hence SilentKnight being the only nag.

Just wait for the next full OC release, or if you think it’s stable enough (and important enough to you; YMMV), watch OC commits on GitHub for an OC 0.8.4 pre-release with updated model firmware .yaml’s.

Due to no loss in functionality, this will likely be a non-issue for most… unless the fruit company may be watching who gets OS updates but somehow resists their model firmware updates.

And when that cat-and-mouse game all gets to be too much to maintain, there’s (gasp!) always Linux.

Digressions aside, happy hacking!

Hi everyone,

I would a simple advice if possible, basically I have Mojave (Clover) on a small SSD and seems to be working so I occatinally use for browsing and downloading.

I have also Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta on another SSD which boots up fine using OC 0.6.x

Now I'd like to install Monterey to replace Big Sur on the same disk, and I made a USB installer but I got a fatal error straight away, I don't know what I did wrong!

I am thinking to start over, so download Monterey to the USB, then customize EFI - My Mobo config works for both above so I don't think I need to change anything there.

Any advice on simple 1,2,3 steps?

Hardware:

i9-9900K | GA-Z390 Auros Pro | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB (works fine in Mojave and Big Sur) | 16GB Corsair vengence RGB Pro | 500GB SSD

Many thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, Ziadantosh said:

If you're still using OC 0.6.x as indicated in your post, it is grossly outdated for starters. I would suggest using OCAT app to update OC and all your kexts files and then take it from there.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Ziadantosh said:

Hi everyone,

I would a simple advice if possible, basically I have Mojave (Clover) on a small SSD and seems to be working so I occatinally use for browsing and downloading.

I have also Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta on another SSD which boots up fine using OC 0.6.x

Now I'd like to install Monterey to replace Big Sur on the same disk, and I made a USB installer but I got a fatal error straight away, I don't know what I did wrong!

I am thinking to start over, so download Monterey to the USB, then customize EFI - My Mobo config works for both above so I don't think I need to change anything there.

Hardware:

i9-9900K | GA-Z390 Auros Pro | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB (works fine in Mojave and Big Sur) | 16GB Corsair vengence RGB Pro | 500GB SSD

Many thanks in advance

Just follow the steps in the original post BUT update to OC 0.8.3. Then create a boot USB with that EFI and see if it boots and works properly. If it does, you can then copy that EFI to the EFI partition on your SSD.

OCAT if your friend. I use to do all this updating manually but OCAT just works so well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, eSaF said:

If you're still using OC 0.6.x as indicated in your post, it is grossly outdated for starters. I would suggest using OCAT app to update OC and all your kexts files and then take it from there.

That's exactly what I am trying to do now, hopefully it won't break!

But let's say updated and happy, next step I need to create Monterey USB installer, this is where I am a little confused as to what to replace in the EFI of the USB, or should I just copy the current EFI from my Big Sur when I update it with OCAT?

6 minutes ago, Ziadantosh said:

That's exactly what I am trying to do now, hopefully it won't break!

But let's say updated and happy, next step I need to create Monterey USB installer, this is where I am a little confused as to what to replace in the EFI of the USB, or should I just copy the current EFI from my Big Sur when I update it with OCAT?

If you've updated OC and all the kext files within the EFI Folder and can successfully boot from the updated files, then I suggest do the update to the OS X version you want in the way suggested by @pkdesign as there is no real need to do a fresh install from a USB installer as it will be a long winded way to go about it, unless you're more comfortable doing it that way.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I just installed a WD Black NVME but I only get speeds around 1.5gb read and write in Blagmagic speed test. 

Do have to change anything to use its full potential? I also see the loading beach ball a lot of time, like something is really limiting performance.

I used to have a Samsung NVME before which ran great but booted very slow...

@Cipha after posting the below (which you should still read), I learned something about M.2 on Aorus Z390 Pro: The two M.2 slots have different bandwidth sharing properties, so their performance will vary depending on the other accessories installed in your rig.  It may be that your M.2 slot is operating in x2 mode or is sharing bandwidth depending on what other devices (including any SATA drives) are installed in your rig.

@Cipha I happened to see your post and while I don't have your same system, you should expect to see better performance from your WD Black NVMe drive.  My BlackMagic speed test results are below.  Here are the questions I would ask:

• What is the specific model and capacity of your WD Black NVMe Drive?
  • Did you purchase your drive new or used?
  • Have you booted the drive in Windows to make sure it has the latest firmware?
  • Have you tested the drive in Windows with a tool like Crystal Disk Info to examine the drive for errors?
  • How full is the drive?

BlackMagic Speedtest for WD SN750 Black NVMe drive (500GB)

Spoiler

939558641_ScreenShot2022-08-04at8_38_35AM.png.cddfdbb9f072b183ef7db02fc17c6b8f.png

If this issue isn't specific to the Aorus Z390 Pro (the topic of this thread), your quesiton may be off-topic, so you may need to move this discussion to another thread.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee Thank you! Your stats look good, just what I would have expected.

It's the SN750 with 1TB storage

it was bought new

it is abour 35% full

I didn't booted the drive into windows. I will see if I can update the firmware in macos as well.

Any other ideas - aside from firmware - what could cause this?

I could find any similar problems with this SSD

Updated to OC v0.8.4 [DEV], works fine. It requires the "LoadEarly" property under UEFI -> Drivers to be set to false for all efis except OpenRuntime.efi:

image.png.7ed884bdd7e410cece3640c9a5ea3a78.png

• Like 2

First thanks to @eSaF @pkdesign for their suggestions and help 🥰

So, I managed to brick my EFI couple of times before I successfully update it from 0.6.3 to 0.8.3 - then upgraded macOS from Big Sur beta to Monterey 12.5 and it worked 🕺😍

And finally I have Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro working

Anyone updated to 13 beta 2 yet and how is it?

Thanks again

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 10.53.05.png

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 12.12.20.png

Oh I forgot!

How can I get iServices working? as when I launch it and login with my fruity ID it shows ⬇️

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 12.22.13.png

• Like 3

@Ziadantosh - An unknown error occurred' - I haven't seen that since back in the day when iMessage was first introduced. All I can say is make sure your data i.e S/N, ROM SmUUID etc entries are correct and in the right format, you can also run iMessageDebug (attached) and look at the output, it should not say Null or Void on any of the lines and should look like my example (I've blocked out my info).

Spoiler

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, panosru said:

Updated to OC v0.8.4 [DEV], works fine. It requires the "LoadEarly" property under UEFI -> Drivers to be set to false for all efis except OpenRuntime.efi

What happens when you set OpenRuntime.efi > LoadEarly = False?

On 8/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, eSaF said:

@Ziadantosh - An unknown error occurred' - I haven't seen that since back in the day when iMessage was first introduced. All I can say is make sure your data i.e S/N, ROM SmUUID etc entries are correct and in the right format, you can also run iMessageDebug (attached) and look at the output, it should not say Null or Void on any of the lines and should look like my example (I've blocked out my info).

The output is lines and lines and loads of wtf :S but I copied a line here:

-xDo you want to save to iMessageDebug.txt? (y/n) %s/iMessageDebug.txtwSmUUID: failedBoard-id: failedbyteslengthstringWithFormat:stringByAppendingString:datasetLength:UTF8StringallocinitWithData:encoding:mainBundlebundlePathÏ44¡(4

Doesn't seem to have a good info like it should, I am certain the SN and other info are fine, as I open config file with OCAT and clicked on check which went to the 🍏 website and said valid

Anything else I can do?

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 18.21.52.png

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 18.20.48.png

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 18.21.52.png

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 18.20.48.png

Edited by Ziadantosh

@Ziadantosh - Ok let me explain, despite what you've read or was told about a S/N should be valid but not registered, please ignore and do not use your current S/N unless it is from a genuine Mac that belongs to you and registered in your name. Your current S/N tells me it is already registered by Apple in their data base as one of theirs possibly out in the wild. Your machine sporting the same S/N is like you having the same license plate as your neighbour's car.

The problem with you using that S/N is throwing up a security flag on the Apple Servers, hence the reason you cannot log into some services for security reasons. You need to log out of all Apple Services i.e iCloud, App Store etc etc, delete that S/N, MLB and generate another that throws up the not valid message when checked which will mean it is unique to your machine and not already registered by Apple as one of theirs.

While you're at it, also generate a new SmUUID number as well, enter the new data. Reboot the machine with the new info, clean the NvRAM, on reaching the Desktop log into your Apple Account and try all the Services, you may have to wait a few moments for the Servers to accept this new machine also before I forget, you need to remove the previous machine from your account containing the previous (genuine) S/N. Good luck.

PS - See attached, this is the message you should get when checking.

Spoiler

401741915_Screenshot2022-08-09at20_58_39.png.d6c4e8a0a40fa628f6b2b6385d49e729.png

• Like 2

guys, I'm running Dual Boot and updated to win 11. now I have to activate Secure Boot to be able to run some customer software needed. 

Is there anything I need to change in the EFI to keep OC alive?

57 minutes ago, Cipha said:

guys, I'm running Dual Boot and updated to win 11. now I have to activate Secure Boot to be able to run some customer software needed. 

Is there anything I need to change in the EFI to keep OC alive?

Hi - If I understand your query correctly, the SecureBootModel setting in the config.plist should be Default as shown in the attached.

Spoiler

1461480246_Screenshot2022-08-11at10_42_58.png.a72ccd7a449e3c102443b92cbe7fb054.png