AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,857 posts in this topic

Hi, people. Of all the threads on this forum, this is the one I interacted the most with, and I think most of you as very good friends.

My journey in the Apple ecosystem started with Hackintosh in the year 2007. Was not a perfect build back then, but It was magic. I wanted the real thing though. I got my first Mac (the unibody 2008 MacBook Pro), then got my first iPhone, then my first iPad. The love for OS X / macOS and iPhone OS / iOS was so deep that I became a professional iOS developer.

In 2019, I still had a late 2013 MacBook Pro, and was in need for an upgrade to something beefier. Rumours had it that Apple would unveil their own silicon soon and I was hesitant as to whether I would want to spend 2,5K+ euros on an iMac or iMac Pro, so I thought I'd join the Hackintosh army once more. Oh boy, what a journey. Lots of reading, lots of experimentation. Lots of quality communication with the people in this forum.

I took courage by this awesome topic by @AudioGod (Thank you for replying here my main man) and bought the components. It was an instant success. But I knew I had to dive deep in order to be independent and to maintain it. I studied the dortania guide, I crawled through reddit posts, asked questions. Some people were cruel but most people were helpful, and I will always appreciate it.

Then I started building hackintoshes for friends and family. I have built over 10 golden builds using different motherboards and components, and with different needed ACPI patches, for people that wanted the ease and carelessness of macOS but not the price tag.

But like with other beautiful things, some need to come to an end. My build has served its purpose and I had to act fast before it looses more value. So I sold my build and bought a 2020 MacBook Air in wait for the new MacBook Pro 16" that is to be announced probably this month. After I get the new MacBook, the M1 Air will be used @ home by the family.

My hackintosh path has ended for my personal use, but I will be keeping an eye in case someone needs help.

Cheers :)

Edited by WizeMan
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, WizeMan said:

My hackintosh path has ended for my personal use, but I will be keeping an eye in case someone needs help.

Great reading Brother, just promise not to completely disappear, please visit as often as you can. The Thread needs knowledgeable eggheads to keeps us on the straight and narrow since AG is tied up with other projects -

Spoiler

Hack Bros for as long as Apple allows us!!!???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Great reading Brother, just promise not to completely disappear, please visit as often as you can. The Thread needs knowledgeable eggheads to keeps us on the straight and narrow since AG is tied up with other projects -

I will surely not disappear :)

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Hack Bros for as long as Apple allows us!!!???

With the transition to arm based silicon, I fear that Hackintosh will die at some point, but we are Hack Bros for life. 

• Like 2

@AudioGod Thanks for the EFI! Works like a charm (as usual!)

@WizeMan I also fear that sooner or later I will have to switch to Apple hardware, which I don't want to. I will stick to my Hackintosh for as long as possible, but at some point I think the switch will be imminent, I share the same fear about the Hackintosh dying, but I hope that it will haven much later than I believe it will. (Καλορίζικο το νέο MacBook σου!)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, panosru said:

@AudioGod Thanks for the EFI! Works like a charm (as usual!)

@WizeMan I also fear that sooner or later I will have to switch to Apple hardware, which I don't want to. I will stick to my Hackintosh for as long as possible, but at some point I think the switch will be imminent, I share the same fear about the Hackintosh dying, but I hope that it will haven much later than I believe it will. (Καλορίζικο το νέο MacBook σου!)

Ευχαριστώ @panosru

I am confident that Intel Support will continue for 5 years at least which means that hackintoshing is safe until then. But after that, things are very uncertain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WizeMan said:

I am confident that Intel Support will continue for 5 years at least which means that hackintoshing is safe until then. But after that, things are very uncertain.

I am also confident that after 5 years Hackintoshing will be alive and well because everything man made is breakable - Right now the Boffins at Roswell are reverse engineering off world Bio Computers and techs so hold fast my faint hearted ones. :hysterical:

• Haha 3

Hi @AudioGod, thanks a lot! Just updated to your latest OC 0.7.4 EFI and all works like a charm except one cosmetic thing - I lost GUI boot picker. On OC 0.7.2 GUI picker was there. I reset NVRAM, double checked all picker related settings in config and all of them set exactly like yours. Also I updated Resources folder with latest available - still no luck. Could you please point the direction for further digging? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Alex1982 said:

Hi @AudioGod, thanks a lot! Just updated to your latest OC 0.7.4 EFI and all works like a charm except one cosmetic thing - I lost GUI boot picker. On OC 0.7.2 GUI picker was there. I reset NVRAM, double checked all picker related settings in config and all of them set exactly like yours. Also I updated Resources folder with latest available - still no luck. Could you please point the direction for further digging? Thanks.

You need to Update your Resources Folder to the latest version as well if your using an old one from your previous OC Folder - https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/tree/master/Resources - or Better still if you had it working before compare the latest config.plist with your old one to see if a setting for GUI at Boot is missing.

• Like 1

I find that @AudioGod's 0.7.4 EFI works as well, with loss of bootpicker GUI at boot. Neither the included nor latest OcBinaryData Resources folder seem to make a difference, and OpenCanopy.efi is at least referenced along with other drivers in config.plist, though I'm unsure how to test whether it's loaded.

On a whim, I changed SecureBootModel from the "Default" you set to the newer "x8legacy" acidanthera was promoting in 0.7.3's Differences.pdf (have yet to read 0.7.4's Differences.pdf, but once I have time, that's next!), and it had no effect.

If anything inside 0.7.4's Differences.pdf points to an answer, I'll update here. In the meantime, I'd be happy to hear if anything is going on with OpenCanopy.efi. Anecdotally, the version included with AG's 0.7.4 and the one from OC 0.7.3 are exactly the same size (102,400 bytes, 102K on disk), so I would assume there's no difference in the actual file (even though bootpicker GUI loaded up fine for me in 0.7.3).

@juan e. jot I think I know what it is, I missed a setting I think.

could you go into the Config.plist and under Misc -> Boot set PickerAttributes to 17.

Save and restart and it should be fixed.

let me know asap if it worked and il fix the EFIs 

lol

Also the SBM should be left on Default as all the problems with SecureBootModel have now been fixed in 0.7.4 and when set to Default it sets it automatically to the correct SBM for your SMBIOS, If that’s 19,1 then it’s x86legacy (Non T2) or 1,1 would be j137. All issues with Monterey updates have now been corrected, Default is the best way to keep it.

Update - That is what it was, I have corrected the EFIs and OpenCanopy should now be displaying on all systems correctly/

Edited by AudioGod

To anybody not seeing OpenCanopy at start up all you need todo is go into the Config,plist and under  Misc -> Boot set PickerAttributes to 17. Sorry I missed that when I was making a the new EFIs. I have corrected the EFIs on the Thread but you just need to make the above change to correct it. Sorry about that. Whoops!

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

@juan e. jot I think I know what it is, I missed a setting I think.

could you go into the Config.plist and under Misc -> Boot set PickerAttributes to 17.

Save and restart and it should be fixed.

let me know asap if it worked and il fix the EFIs 

lol

Also the SBM should be left on Default as all the problems with SecureBootModel have now been fixed in 0.7.4 and when set to Default it sets it automatically to the correct SBM for your SMBIOS, If that’s 19,1 then it’s x86legacy (Non T2) or 1,1 would be j137. All issues with Monterey updates have now been corrected, Default is the best way to keep it.

Update - That is what it was, I have corrected the EFIs and OpenCanopy should now be displaying on all systems correctly/

Thanks for continuing to dig into it; sorry I had to step away for a while.

Oddly, setting PickerAttributes to 17 has not solved the issue for me, including if I re-download your latest version of the EFI with it already set. I do still have CustomSMBIOSGuid set to true & UpdateSMBIOSMode set to Custom, as I still multi-boot, per our several-months-back conversation about relative performance. Also, if I ever bite the bullet & upgrade to Windows 11 on my other drive, I definitely in that case don't want it thinking it's running on a Mac; the whole TPM debacle is bad enough!*

The only other differences I can think of (and may affect, as Configuration.pdf states that bits 16-31 for PickerAttributes are OEM-specific) are that I use (and include the proper Arch entry for) NVMeFix.kext, and set key "model" of "Non-Volatile memory controller" as the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro it is, not the Samsung 970 Evo you set.

Think I should once again swap in/out the latest Resources folder from OcBinaryData [didn't work the second time either, so no], or is the answer possibly twisted up in the SMBIOS or OEM issues above?

---

Totally unrelated but since I have you, I note you don't set Arguments under Drivers for AudioDxe.efi in your config.plist, but still include the driver in your Drivers folder. I haven't noticed a difference either referencing it in config.plist or not, but I don't do a lot of audio work, and thus I defer to the one named @AudioGod.

---

*Lastly, I suppose only Acidanthera will be able to answer for sure, but I hope that OC will in future versions be OK with TPM (PTT) being turned on in BIOS and still letting Monterrey update itself, cuz remembering to switch it on for Windows 11 & off for Monterrey on every reboot is going to get dicey!

Edited by juan e. jot
Tried another go-around of OcBinaryData's latest Resources folder; did not help.

2 hours ago, AudioGod said:

To anybody not seeing OpenCanopy at start up all you need todo is go into the Config,plist and under  Misc -> Boot set PickerAttributes to 17. Sorry I missed that when I was making a the new EFIs. I have corrected the EFIs on the Thread but you just need to make the above change to correct it. Sorry about that. Whoops!

Hi AG, as always many thanks for the update, I like others didn't see OpenCanopy at start up with the original 0.7.4 EFI you posted. What I did to fix it was compare the 7.4 config.plist with the previous 7.3 plist. I noticed in 7.4 one of settings related to OpenCanopy was set to False where as in 7.3 it was set to True. So I changed it to True, saved & rebooted & voila I had OpenCanopy graphics again. Apologies I can't remember which setting it was and I'm not near my machine in order to check it. 

1 hour ago, juan e. jot said:

Thanks for continuing to dig into it; sorry I had to step away for a while.

Oddly, setting PickerAttributes to 17 has not solved the issue for me, including if I re-download your latest version of the EFI with it already set. I do still have CustomSMBIOSGuid set to true & UpdateSMBIOSMode set to Custom, as I still multi-boot, per our several-months-back conversation about relative performance. Also, if I ever bite the bullet & upgrade to Windows 11 on my other drive, I definitely in that case don't want it thinking it's running on a Mac; the whole TPM debacle is bad enough!*

The only other differences I can think of (and may affect, as Configuration.pdf states that bits 16-31 for PickerAttributes are OEM-specific) are that I use (and include the proper Arch entry for) NVMeFix.kext, and set key "model" of "Non-Volatile memory controller" as the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro it is, not the Samsung 970 Evo you set.

Think I should once again swap in/out the latest Resources folder from OcBinaryData [didn't work the second time either, so no], or is the answer possibly twisted up in the SMBIOS or OEM issues above?

---

Totally unrelated but since I have you, I note you don't set Arguments under Drivers for AudioDxe.efi in your config.plist, but still include the driver in your Drivers folder. I haven't noticed a difference either referencing it in config.plist or not, but I don't do a lot of audio work, and thus I defer to the one named @AudioGod.

---

*Lastly, I suppose only Acidanthera will be able to answer for sure, but I hope that OC will in future versions be OK with TPM (PTT) being turned on in BIOS and still letting Monterrey update itself, cuz remembering to switch it on for Windows 11 & off for Monterrey on every reboot is going to get dicey!

I think I know what it was, and unfortunately it seems to affect both OC 074 EFIs you've put out, sorry:

Going through line by line what had changed in all the config.plists I had tried for 074 vs the one that worked for 073, I found (again, sorry) that key "Enabled" for the OpenCanopy.efi Argument under Drivers is set to "false" for 074, when it had been "true" for 073. Changing it to "true" in my 074 config.plist (and keeping "17" for PickerAttributes), got me my bootpicker GUI back!

Coulda been just a random bit flip if you were using a plist editor, but, sadly, there you go.

Edited by juan e. jot
typoes, grammar

FFS, This is why I didn’t want to carry on supporting these Threads, I can’t do stuff blind and then get a half arsed test when I ask somebody to check it all out for me only to get bare complaints and moody comments in my inbox after and for anybody else thinking of sending me PM about it being rude then hold you thoughts and don’t PM me unless you know me or have my approval first.

Anyway its fixed now and also Sod That for a laugh! LoL

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Hi all Please let me share my thoughts on the whole latest EFI saga, I was asked by AG to test the latest EFI Folder as he is now more involved on the AMD side. I faithfully tested the Folder on my rig using a test disk and it was fine albeit a little slow in booting which made me edit the boot-arg to suit my specs. True I did not not convey my findings to AG as I thought it was of little consequence. I did post the advice that members should compare the entries from their last good working config.plist and Driver entries if the new EFI Folder is not working as before with all the fancy Bells and Whistles. To Cater an EFI Folder and upload it to suit every individual's needs is near enough impossible. We have come this far now since the launch of OC to have some basic understanding on how to tweak an EFI Folder for our own needs, besides there are plenty of instructional guides floating about. Being disrespectful or being disgruntled is counterproductive as well as discouraging future help. The Thread is here to help us all, the Newbies as well as the so-call Seasoned Members so if we can glean tips and tricks along the way, then it's a win win situation for all. All I am asking is to be polite when mistakes are made......as the saying goes 'A person who makes no mistakes don't do anything'.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jimborae said:

Hi AG, as always many thanks for the update, I like others didn't see OpenCanopy at start up with the original 0.7.4 EFI you posted. What I did to fix it was compare the 7.4 config.plist with the previous 7.3 plist. I noticed in 7.4 one of settings related to OpenCanopy was set to False where as in 7.3 it was set to True. So I changed it to True, saved & rebooted & voila I had OpenCanopy graphics again. Apologies I can't remember which setting it was and I'm not near my machine in order to check it. 

1 hour ago, AudioGod said:

FFS, This is why I didn’t want to carry on supporting these Threads, I can’t do stuff blind and then get a half arsed test when I ask somebody to check it all out for me only to get bare complaints and moody comments in my inbox after and for anybody else thinking of sending me PM about it being rude then hold you thoughts and don’t PM me unless you know me or have my approval first.

Anyway its fixed now and also Sod That for a laugh! LoL

Eek hope my post didn't contribute to this, apologies if so.

Anyways too update it was under UEFI - Drivers - 2 - Enabled = False. So. I just changed it to True and all was good. 

Thanks as always. 

• Like 1

Wow, just wow. I am truly sorry if my input on the 074 EFI saga contributed to any grief for AG. I don't think any of my tone or words were disrespectful, but I can well imagine he might be feeling harried. Any contribution I may have made to that feeling, I (again) truly apologize for.

Folks, he came back to a thread he'd left to help us out with some changes that'd happened to OC since he last contributed for free. He does all of this for free. Yelling at him when a miniscule, fleetingly cosmetic* part of it doesn't work is biting the hand that feeds. Do some research of your own, be aware that a community has created it, and he's just been tweaking it to work on a configuration of system he used to share for you, and that you've got ownership & responsibility in what you use, and how you further configure it.

Don't be a d*ck, and give the man his due, not your own insecurities about getting your system to work right.  You bought all of its components, built it, and you want it to work. I get that; me too. But you don't get this far into it without realizing that there is no guarantee, express or implied, made by anyone that macOS can or should run on it. You want it to work, you need to own the effort. You want to make use of community efforts by people who have the same goal, (once again) don't be a d*ck to those same people, or they will (quite understandably) step back from sharing their community with you, and you'll be back to square one.

You want to ask respectful questions and make respectful, useful observations, my understanding is that this is the place. I hope I'm right, and that we can leave the rest of the acrimony out of it.

*The tempest in a teacup for this particular issue was that it looked all "text-y" for a few seconds before booting up to all the eye candy a fruit company could code. It still works, and you still end up with what you want to see. Get over it, go use your computer, and thank the man for his efforts.

Which brings me to: Thank you, man. Clearly, we are not worthy. Good luck in your endeavors!

@Juan e. jot - Thank you for this post, after being wrongfully accused and called doubtful and that is putting it mildly!!! I find it refreshing reading your post and with that I close this chapter in my Hack journey.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eSaF said:

@Juan e. jot - Thank you for this post, after being wrongfully accused and called doubtful and that is putting it mildly!!! I find it refreshing reading your post and with that I close this chapter in my Hack journey.

I'm glad my words had resonance for you, and sorry your help seems to have been vilified. Sorry, while I'm at it, for how long most of my posts turn out to be. We all make mistakes, and we're all just trying to help each other. Thank you for your efforts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1