[Guide] macOS High Sierra 10.13 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

673 posts in this topic

So, I can see that some people managed to get Big Sur on their optiplex. I was wondering whether the Optiplex 755 (with q9400, 8gb ram, and a gt710) would be able to run it. I found this Github repo by Denskop called Dell-Optiplex-755-Repo, which seems to show support for Big Sur, but all my effort seem to be going into vain, as I can't get it to work. So I just wanted to make sure whether it is possible or not. 

-Thanks.

Edited by Fantasy

6 hours ago, Fantasy said:

So, I can see that some people managed to get Big Sur on their optiplex. I was wondering whether the Optiplex 755 (with q9400, 8gb ram, and a gt710) would be able to run it. I found this Github repo by Denskop called Dell-Optiplex-755-Repo, which seems to show support for Big Sur, but all my effort seem to be going into vain, as I can't get it to work. So I just wanted to make sure whether it is possible or not. 

-Thanks.

It is possible you have to complete install from another BS Hack or Mac then put the bootable  SSD on your Optiplex

Latest ( Legacy Open Core or Clover ESP Legacy )

Edited by chris1111

11 hours ago, chris1111 said:

It is possible you have to complete install from another BS Hack or Mac then put the bootable  SSD on your Optiplex

Latest ( Legacy Open Core or Clover ESP Legacy )

In terms of "BS Hack" would a virtual machine with direct access to the SSD work? and What about the required kexts and smbios, would it just trial and error?

5 minutes ago, Fantasy said:

In terms of "BS Hack" would a virtual machine with direct access to the SSD work? and What about the required kexts and smbios, would it just trial and error?

Yes Virtual machine works

for the SMBIOS iMac 15.1 is good

This is the kext you should use

1803424935_Capturedcranle2021-01-0918_51_27.png.66492cb2d964d97bf1e283d80767b5fb.png

Edited by chris1111
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Yes Virtual machine works

for the SMBIOS iMac 15.1 is good

This is the kext you should use

1803424935_Capturedcranle2021-01-0918_51_27.png.66492cb2d964d97bf1e283d80767b5fb.png

Thank you. I'll post my progress. I should use the latest version of each kext right?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 7:44 PM, Fantasy said:

Thank you. I'll post my progress. I should use the latest version of each kext right?

You can find here an automate OC Legacy Installer ➤ OC LegacyDuet for APFS and HFS+ volume

Edited by chris1111
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chris1111 said:

You can find here an automate OC Legacy Installer ➤ OC LegacyDuet for APFS and HFS+ volume

I re-created a Legacy Installer, and if I try to boot off of it, the macOS Big Sur Installer panics and the computer reboots. Do I need to change anything after running OC LegacyDuet, like config.plist, or adding a dsdt?

Edit: I used ricoc's DSDT (the one provided for High Sierra) with that I managed to get into the installer but I don't have any USB mouse/keyboard function.

Edit 2: I tried using the patch applied in opencore install guide, the patch related to IOHIDFamily, however that causes a panic on the installer. So I am back to square 1, no mouse on the Big Sur Installer.

Edited by Fantasy
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fantasy said:

I re-created a Legacy Installer, and if I try to boot off of it, the macOS Big Sur Installer panics and the computer reboots. Do I need to change anything after running OC LegacyDuet, like config.plist, or adding a dsdt?

Edit: I used ricoc's DSDT (the one provided for High Sierra) with that I managed to get into the installer but I don't have any USB mouse/keyboard function.

For USB Try to not use  OpenUsbKbDxe.efi

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

For USB Try to not use  OpenUsbKbDxe.efi

Umm I removed OpenUsbKbDxe.efi, but now the keyboard and mouse won't work on the boot picker screen. So I can't even boot into the installer. :cry:

10 minutes ago, Fantasy said:

Umm I removed OpenUsbKbDxe.efi, but now the keyboard and mouse won't work on the boot picker screen. So I can't even boot into the installer. :cry:

OK :|

I use the same EFI on my Optiplex 790 without changing on LegacyDuet installer I only put my DSDT and everything boot very fast to the Big Sur 11.1  (20C69)

Remember you can not Install ; you need a Big Sur already install from another Mac

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

OK :|

I use the same EFI on my Optiplex 790 without changing on LegacyDuet installer I only put my DSDT and everything boot very fast to the Big Sur 11.1  (20C69)

Remember you can not Install ; you need a Big Sur already install from another Mac

Oh yeah true. After spending a day banging my head aganist a Dell, I forgot about that. I'll try tomorrow with a installed drive! Sorry for the trouble. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fantasy said:

Oh yeah true. After spending a day banging my head aganist a Dell, I forgot about that. I'll try tomorrow with a installed drive! Sorry for the trouble. 

Your surprise of the fastest of booting BS when is installed :D

14 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Your surprise of the fastest of booting BS when is installed :D

Okay, sadly I am not sure what is happening. I put my pre-installed SSD into the Optiplex, and the loading freezes after the APFS driver is initialised, and then shortly after I get the circle with the line with the error Still Waiting for Root Device? Any idea what is happening? 

If it helps, it seems that while I have set on my dell's bios to Raid Autodetect/AHCI, sometimes I do notice that before the computer gets to the boot menu, it says "Performing Automatic IDE Configuration". By any chance is the Optiplex forcing IDE mode, even though I have selected AHCI and that is what's causing macOS to no longer recognise the SSD after the APFS driver is loaded?

8 hours ago, Fantasy said:

Okay, sadly I am not sure what is happening. I put my pre-installed SSD into the Optiplex, and the loading freezes after the APFS driver is initialised, and then shortly after I get the circle with the line with the error Still Waiting for Root Device? Any idea what is happening? 

If it helps, it seems that while I have set on my dell's bios to Raid Autodetect/AHCI, sometimes I do notice that before the computer gets to the boot menu, it says "Performing Automatic IDE Configuration". By any chance is the Optiplex forcing IDE mode, even though I have selected AHCI and that is what's causing macOS to no longer recognise the SSD after the APFS driver is loaded?

You have to find the way with OpenCore to patch Optiplex 755 CPU

I have Optiplex 790 with a sandybrige cpu so this is not an issue for me

45 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

You have to find the way with OpenCore to patch Optiplex 755 CPU

I have Optiplex 790 with a sandybrige cpu so this is not an issue for me

So I have to patch a q9400 or the way how the mobo + cpu interacts with the OS? 

I had a look at Dortania's OpenCore guide, from what I read, in order to patch my Intel Core 2 Quad q9400, I needed the telemetrap.kext to emulate SSE 4.2. However, when I put that kext in my OpenCore USB drive, I get a kernel panic. I attached a picture of the verbose before the Kernel Panic.

Afterwards I tried rolling back AppleAHCIPort.kext to a version from Catalina, and still no luck. I get the error "still waiting for root device" (which is the same error I get when I don't have the telemetrap.kext. 

While looking at more threads, I think that maybe its an issue with the SMBios, as the iMac15,1 doesn't have a q9400.

Any idea on what is wrong?

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-13 at 7.24.01 PM.jpeg

Edited by Fantasy

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Fantasy said:

I installed Big Sur in a SSD and added it into my optiplex 755, and installed opencore Legacy and I can boot it up, select from the boot options, and got the login page. However, USB keyboard and mouse don't work on the login page. Keyboard worked during bootup.  Googled around but still stuck on the login. Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thanks!

6 hours ago, xflier said:

I installed Big Sur in a SSD and added it into my optiplex 755, and installed opencore Legacy and I can boot it up, select from the boot options, and got the login page. However, USB keyboard and mouse don't work on the login page. Keyboard worked during bootup.  Googled around but still stuck on the login. Any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thanks!

May I ask for your Opencore folder. I tried but no matter what I do I keep getting a kernel panic?

2 hours ago, Fantasy said:

May I ask for your Opencore folder. I tried but no matter what I do I keep getting a kernel panic?

Here it is for your reference. I used 0.6.5, and wiped out my Serial Number. You need to fill your own Serial # and system uuid.

if you need turn on debugging, just enable it in Misc.Debug ( AppleDebug, ApplePanic, and target =67), and NVRAM.boot-arg (add -v, debug, and etc.).

I still have keyboard issue on login page.

EFI.zip

Edited by xflier
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 4:05 PM, xflier said:

Here it is for your reference. I used 0.6.5, and wiped out my Serial Number. You need to fill your own Serial # and system uuid.

if you need turn on debugging, just enable it in Misc.Debug ( AppleDebug, ApplePanic, and target =67), and NVRAM.boot-arg (add -v, debug, and etc.).

I still have keyboard issue on login page.

EFI.zip 9.2 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks to you I got my optiplex to actually get to the login screen. But yeah I've spent a good 6h on trying to figure it out, but still no luck. I'll keep trying and hopefully we find a solution.

Update (3 February): I believe that the issue may be due to SMBIOS and hence the way USB ports are mapped. So I think that a SSDT would be required for USB to work. However, I am unsure. 

Edited by Fantasy

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up trying to install Big Sur, installed moved to installing Catalina with OpenCore. In my config.plist, I didn't add the DSDT.aml instead I have two SSDT, one for the EC and one for turning EHCx off, because the Dortania OC guide says to not add the DSDT in the actual config file. So my current situation is that I can boot into the Installer for Catalina, mouse and keyboard work, however my SSD isn't detected at all. I have tried using AHCIPortInjector and SATA-Unsupported but still no luck. 

I have a hunch that it is due to the missing DSDT, however, if I boot with that I get still waiting for root error (even with USBInjectAll). Any clue of what I could do to get the SATA drives recognised?

Thank you.

EFI.zip

• 2 months later...

Here is the opencore EDF for 755 (core2Quad cpu) without the mouse and keyboard issue. I used it to upgrade to big sur successfully. However it still has some other issues like reboot/shut down issue. If your cpu is different, you need to recompile the acpi folder.

after upgraded with the reboot/shutdown issue, I switch back to clover to boot the big sur. Appreciate if you have any insight regarding how to fix the reboot/shutdown issue.

Need to enter your platform info which I entered some dummy values, before boot from it.

USB-BIG-SUR-OC-EFI.zip

Edited by xflier
  • Like 1