Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2018 at 7:27 AM, wyhtc said:

This is my way,copy the info.plist from AMD10000Controller.kext,and make a kext injector. Put it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other,and it works。。For example,I upload a kext,

Core: 1442MHz/1075mV ,Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV,Temp target: 57,Idle fan: 700rpm.

RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip

Awesome kext. When I login to macOS the fan is idle and all working well.

When I run something like The Valley the fans kick up to 4000RPM and just stay there until I quit it.

Any way to limit the fan speeds? If I take out the kext, the fans don't kick up that high but the idle issue is still there.

Any ideas

It's not working with the 10.13.6 beta :(

I tried to modify the AMD10000 kext and lost acceleration. Then I tried to copy the kext from my cloned 10.13.5, still no good. Then I tried to use the kext above with the 10.13.6 info plist but it won't load.

It sounds like there's some biggish changes. I can't even mount EFI with CC lol. Maybe Apple have made security or permission changes...

1 hour ago, surfinchina said:

It's not working with the 10.13.6 beta :(

I tried to modify the AMD10000 kext and lost acceleration. Then I tried to copy the kext from my cloned 10.13.5, still no good. Then I tried to use the kext above with the 10.13.6 info plist but it won't load.

It sounds like there's some biggish changes. I can't even mount EFI with CC lol. Maybe Apple have made security or permission changes...

What about custom DSDT or SSDT patch, did you tried one of these methods to modify the AMD10000 kext?

11 minutes ago, MMido said:

What about custom DSDT or SSDT patch, did you tried one of these methods to modify the AMD10000 kext?

Thanks for your suggestion.

I don't use DSDT or SSDT.

The fixes have stopped working on 10.14... GPU itself seems fine though. I'm just back to one DP and one HDMI.

edit: after a few tests, cinebench openGL is down 50 points to 130, Geekbench GPU is down by 45,000 points from 195000 to 150000!

So Mojave isn't good for the Vega at the moment...

edit next day: I just used the -lilubetaall arg and it's good again :)

Edited by surfinchina
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I have a Vega 64 Gigabyte and have applied the https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=298343 Vega 56 kext to it, the fans are no longer spinning so quickly but it seems the performance is down a little... I'm liking it that I don't have a leaf blower in my office but would people expect that this would limit my performance?

Thanks for any insights.

MG

On 4/23/2018 at 2:27 AM, obus said:

Used your patch on my Vega 64 Liquid with no problems and increased performance. The fan for the cooler is a little more noisy but that's not a big problem. 

How do I add that powertable? I used the RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed kext on my RX Vega 64 Liquid without a problem but would like to increase it's performance a bit more.

My Geekbench has gone from 149000 on 10.13.5, to 182000 on Mojave, to 215000 on the 10.13.6 beta 2 released today! But on the biggest overclock settings on page 6 of this guide it crashed luxmark and Cinebench with the 10.13.6 beta 2...

2 hours ago, surfinchina said:

My Geekbench has gone from 149000 on 10.13.5, to 182000 on Mojave, to 215000 on the 10.13.6 beta 2 released today! But on the biggest overclock settings on page 6 of this guide it crashed luxmark and Cinebench with the 10.13.6 beta 2...

Hi Surfinchina

sorry for little offtopic

I am searching for X299 Gigabyte user verbose bootlog to verify TSC Unsinched cores problem.

When you have some time could you post your or if you have posted it before where?

Thank you

10 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Hi Surfinchina

sorry for little offtopic

I am searching for X299 Gigabyte user verbose bootlog to verify TSC Unsinched cores problem.

When you have some time could you post your or if you have posted it before where?

Thank you

No worries. Here you go :)

system.log.1.gz

I have a 10.13.5 i7 8700k Asus Z370g Gaming wifi system that I was using with 980ti but got tired of the video stuttering issues, so I ordered two AMD cards: Red Devil Vega 64 and Sapphire Pulse Vega 56. Tried the Vega 64 first, but it was very loud and once it spinned up its fans then it wouldn't never spin them down but also had some annoying mouse lag - I could steadily move mouse cursor in one direction and once every few seconds it would stop it for like 1/3 of a second and then just continue the movement.

I've switched the card for the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 that seems to have fan speeds in check, however the annoying mouse lag/stutter is there as well. Does anyone knows what causes it and how to fix it? I've tried updating to latest 5422 Clover, latest Lilu, Shiki, and so on, but nothing seems to be fixing it.

The OS recognises the card as 'Radeon RX Vega 56 8176 MB', the system profile I'm using in Clover is iMac 18,3. Any help is appreciated!

On 5/27/2018 at 10:52 AM, iodine131 said:

I have made a shell script.

Just hit:

./convert.sh </path/to/your/soft_power_table.reg>

Please give it a try.

Cheers

convert.sh

Still the same Error.

tr: Illegal byte sequence

What could be the Problem?

12 hours ago, Tom01 said:

Still the same Error.

tr: Illegal byte sequence

What could be the Problem?

May I have your registry file? Perhaps different Windows environment generates/needs registry files with slightly different formats/encoding

Edited by iodine131

44 minutes ago, iodine131 said:

May I have your registry file? Perhaps different Windows environment generates/needs registry files with slightly different formats/encoding

Hi,

I am having the same response as tom01. I just used the original files that were from overclocker.net. 

Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, eliyu321 said:

Hi,

I am having the same response as tom01. I just used the original files that were from overclocker.net. 

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for letting me know.

I found my registry is in ASCII but the registry files in overclocker.net are in UTF-16LE

Text editors are smart enough to handle that but stream/text command line tools ain't so smart (or perhaps it was me who wasn't so smart).

I wrote a C program to decode the original registry files. After that, the same convert.sh should work well.

cd /path/to/extracted/location/decode-and-convert

./decode <original.reg> <output.reg>

./convert.sh <output.reg>

If you are using macOS 10.13, the binary *should* work OOB, if not, just hit

make decode

The convert.sh, decode binary for 10.13, as well as its source code are in attachment.

Edit 1:

I can't upload attachments for unknown reason......here is the archive in AWS S3:

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/iodine131-macos/decode-and-convert.zip

Edit 2:

I think the RadeonSoftPowerTableEditor outputs registry files in ASCII instead of UTF-16LE. That's why I can't reproduce the issue previously.

Edited by iodine131
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, Wackymac said:

btw! @okrasit you should try and get your voltages lower, im currently running at 1700mhz/950mv on the core and 1150mhz/920mv on the hbm.

Which Graphics-Card is that, running with this Values?

Edited by Tom01

in 13.5 I'm finding that after having used my Radeon Pro WX9100 for a while now that each update, the reset to 1500mhz gives a boost to FCPX and makes general gaming in OSX more responsive. With the 57 deg target 1442mhz patch to the kext I'm getting a notable drop in FPS in games after a few hours play (even simple games like League of Legends where my old as hell HD7970 would keep fps at or around 60, matching my apple cinema display) but if I drop the patch and keep the stock setting with the higher clock my Radeon Pro, it performs much better in games and is a tad more responsive in FCPX. Sad thing is, because there is no fan curve, after a few hours gaming the system simply shuts off because the card overheats because its wrongly standard high spin speed never increases with use.

is there a way to tweak that long line of code to keep the Radeon pro at 1500mhz stock and just up the fan curve? Maybe a 50 deg target to go with that stock clock speed? If lowering the voltages while keeping the speeds at stock would help I'm happy to test a few different settings out. This card seems to throttle a bit on my average working day when it waits for 57 deg. FCPX doesnt seem to run it as hard as it possibly could and so Even doing big renders on the 57deg patch the card hardly ever has its fans spin up all that much but it sure does get warm... so I would be keen for a more aggressive fan curve if its at all possible? I don't mind quite a bit more fan noise, my two HD7970 used to make enough noise during long renders that you could hear them down the hallway at night. The comparative silence of this card, when patched, unnerves me. I don't have windows installed to compare as I'm only really a mac/hackintosh user..

On 6/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, Setura said:

in 13.5 I'm finding that after having used my Radeon Pro WX9100 for a while now that each update, the reset to 1500mhz gives a boost to FCPX and makes general gaming in OSX more responsive. With the 57 deg target 1442mhz patch to the kext I'm getting a notable drop in FPS in games after a few hours play (even simple games like League of Legends where my old as hell HD7970 would keep fps at or around 60, matching my apple cinema display) but if I drop the patch and keep the stock setting with the higher clock my Radeon Pro, it performs much better in games and is a tad more responsive in FCPX. Sad thing is, because there is no fan curve, after a few hours gaming the system simply shuts off because the card overheats because its wrongly standard high spin speed never increases with use.

is there a way to tweak that long line of code to keep the Radeon pro at 1500mhz stock and just up the fan curve? Maybe a 50 deg target to go with that stock clock speed? If lowering the voltages while keeping the speeds at stock would help I'm happy to test a few different settings out. This card seems to throttle a bit on my average working day when it waits for 57 deg. FCPX doesnt seem to run it as hard as it possibly could and so Even doing big renders on the 57deg patch the card hardly ever has its fans spin up all that much but it sure does get warm... so I would be keen for a more aggressive fan curve if its at all possible? I don't mind quite a bit more fan noise, my two HD7970 used to make enough noise during long renders that you could hear them down the hallway at night. The comparative silence of this card, when patched, unnerves me. I don't have windows installed to compare as I'm only really a mac/hackintosh user..

It's quite easy to edit manually.  See this post on reddit for details.  You want to edit the target temp and scale the gpu clock fields.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/7ohodm/soft_powerplay_table_builder/

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue creating the kext for my card.

I have the ROG Strix Vega 64, I am able to use the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix file made by wyhct without any issues. When I log in, the fans don't spin up and whenever I'm in an app using the video card, the fans will spin up like they are supposed to. 

However, when I make the kext myself using the instructions in this thread with the MorePowerVega64strix.reg, it is not working correctly. When I boot up the machine, the fans do not spin just like they are supposed to not do, but when I try to do anything graphically intensive, the fans continue to not spin at all until the entire machine freezes up and I have to do a cold boot. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

For some reason I cannot attach files in the forums, so I'm sending a link of my files that I have on Dropbox. This is the reg that I'm using to modify the kext and the modified kext which doesn't work correctly on my system. Any advice or help would be appreciated!

My Files

2 hours ago, WannaBeOCer said:

Installed Mojave with whatevergreen and my RX Vega 64 XTX(LC) is running much quicker! 

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 6.38.08 PM.png

Yes I know! Mojave is great with the Vega. Better than windows now.

The 10.13.6 latest seems to have got the same treatment. For me anyway.

They're finally getting the Vega working as it should.

Can you comment on the difference in temps? My Vega crashed a couple of times on Mojave when I was running the speedup kext and was running quite hot...