Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2018 at 3:51 AM, Pavo said:

No, I am using the latest WhateverGreen and Lilu only.

So your Asus Strix Vega 64 is silent when doing light web browsing etc? There are no more full fan speed issues with the latest beta 6 of Mojave?

I still have a Strix 1080Ti and looking to get a Asus Strix Vega 64.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, okrasit said:

Ok, I got the performance issue sorted. :surprised:

That's with core @1482MHz

Screenshot 2018-07-09 at 5.52.44.png

Screenshot 2018-07-09 at 5.43.58.png

OKrasit, could you tell us how you got it sorted? With Sierra I managed to use your technique to get my Vega FE in eGPU working, but I'm struggling to get this working on Mojave. <data></data> no longer seems to be accepted when I edit the kext. The kext that ships with Mojave public beta is more stable but the fans never crank up and the thing just thermal throttles like crazy. Thanks so much!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.59.54 AM.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cmk☆ said:

OKrasit, could you tell us how you got it sorted? With Sierra I managed to use your technique to get my Vega FE in eGPU working, but I'm struggling to get this working on Mojave. <data></data> no longer seems to be accepted when I edit the kext. The kext that ships with Mojave public beta is more stable but the fans never crank up and the thing just thermal throttles like crazy. Thanks so much!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 9.59.54 AM.png

Same problem with my custom watercooling vega 64 in mojave Beta with Egpu enclosure..... :(

Edited by Xplisite
  • Like 1

<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
<data>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</data>
<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
<integer>1</integer>

Here you go :surprised:

Don't forget to:

touch /System/Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /

:whistle:

Edited by okrasit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, okrasit said:

<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
<data>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</data>
<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
<integer>1</integer>

Here you go :surprised:

Don't forget to:

touch /System/Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume /

:whistle:

Thank you so much! really appreciate it. I notice now there are multiple "aty_properties" with different names (Rapel, Kamarang, etc.) is there a particular one the above should get pasted into?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmk☆ said:

Thank you so much! really appreciate it. I notice now there are multiple "aty_properties" with different names (Rapel, Kamarang, etc.) is there a particular one the above should get pasted into?

Yes ofc, near the end of the file, there's the "common" aty_properties, do it there. 

@cmk☆ did you get it working :huh:

Edited by okrasit
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, okrasit said:

Yes ofc, near the end of the file, there's the "common" aty_properties, do it there. 

Thanks okrasit i have test your file with my watercooling vega strix 64 and all work like a charm my fans go up and i have got a max temp in load of 47°C, before that i have got a temp of 69° and fans don't working. Thanks again, i don't know what you change exactly but all work.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, okrasit said:

Thanks again for all your help Okrasit! You're a saint! I feel like I'm so close!! 

When I do touch /System/Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume / I get a bunch of errors, and the kext won't load (I've also tried editing the plist in text edit and using kext utility to load it to no avail. ) I've just been adding what you presented above to the bottom most aty_properties  Is there other code I should be removing/overwriting?

I Forgot to mention my Vega FE is air cooled, so I tried substituting the <data> string above with the one you posted back on page 6, and still didn't work. Sorry I know I'm probably making a totally newbie mistake here, but any thoughts? Really appreciate it!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 12.35.45 PM.png

Edited by cmk☆

@cmk☆ have you try to use your tips with  Kext Utility? i haven't got any problem with that.

edit: for me in Mojave  Kext Utility is more slowly to read and apply the permissions, in first its no working , now when i start the app, i waiting and after that i open the kext to change the info.plist.

After quit  Kext Utility and reopen it to change the permission.

Edited by Xplisite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xplisite said:

@cmk☆ have you try to use your tips with  Kext Utility? i haven't got any problem with that.

Thanks, Yes I tried Kext Utility. It didn't report any errors, but the kext doesn't work. black screen and eGPU doesn't register.

• Like 1

@cmk☆i have got exactly the same problem, i think its because i quit the kext utility without repair the permission in /system/library/extension,

try like i say to quit the app and reopen it to repair the permission in the folder before restarting the mac.

Edit:if i remember, i was using the default info.plist to have a working egpu after the black screen issue and after that i retry to modify the kext and use the tips what i say with kext utility.

Edited by Xplisite

4 hours ago, cmk☆ said:

Thanks again for all your help Okrasit! You're a saint! I feel like I'm so close!! 

When I do touch /System/Library/Extensions; kextcache -update-volume / I get a bunch of errors, and the kext won't load (I've also tried editing the plist in text edit and using kext utility to load it to no avail. ) I've just been adding what you presented above to the bottom most aty_properties  Is there other code I should be removing/overwriting?

I Forgot to mention my Vega FE is air cooled, so I tried substituting the <data> string above with the one you posted back on page 6, and still didn't work. Sorry I know I'm probably making a totally newbie mistake here, but any thoughts? Really appreciate it!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 12.35.45 PM.png

It seems you have SIP (System Integrity Protection) enabled. Check with 'csrutil status'. In Clover, there's a key 'CsrActivateConfig', I have it set to 0x3e7. Fix the clover, reboot, re-run the 'touch ...: kextcache ...' and it should work.

Oh, if it's a real Mac, you can just do 'csrutil disable'. :shock:

Edited by okrasit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, okrasit said:

It seems you have SIP (System Integrity Protection) enabled. Check with 'csrutil status'. In Clover, there's a key 'CsrActivateConfig', I have it set to 0x3e7. Fix the clover, reboot, re-run the 'touch ...: kextcache ...' and it should work.

Oh, if it's a real Mac, you can just do 'csrutil disable'. :shock:

Thank you thank you thank you! up and running now (on real MacBook Pro with ogpu) Yes somehow SIP had turned itself back on. Really appreciate all your help!! going to go try some Davinci resolve renders now!

My Vega FE air-cooled fan roared to life and I got these before and after benchmarks!

Thanks again @okrasit!

180247265_ScreenShot2018-08-27at6_08_41PM.thumb.png.6c494007b046f3f40377782533f8cc7f.png

270947215_ScreenShot2018-08-27at6_51_03PM.thumb.png.4888c265c251efbe563d0034fe4ad464.png

Here's where it get's interesting...

With a long Davinci resolve render things still slow down after a while. I would guess this is thermal throttling, but the fan speed slows proportionally to the processor load (presumably if it were over heating the fans would keep at full blast, and when things cooled, load would pick back up). Also after a very quick restart and a card that's already good and warm, performance is back up to 100% for a good while before the usual slow down curve. It's apparently not a memory leak (RAM and VRAM both have plenty of space) ambient room temp is cool, and CPU is not being taxed.

Starting to think this might be a Davinci resolve or other Mac OS issue beyond the kext :unsure:
(rendering in metal BTW)

868090631_ScreenShot2018-08-27at10_36_44PM.png.4e3a33f52b70b30f1e7310de6c28d7ff.png

OK so I just ran LuxMark with Davinci Resolve still going and the GPU/fan roared back to life. this weird slow down is clearly a resolve issue now.

I am facing issues with that PowerPlayTable Patch. I am using a "Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 Gaming OC" in my machine. By default this card runs at 1630MHz in Windows and it is stable. In macOS however, without the PowerPlayTable patch it isn't stable. It generates an excessive amount of heat, fans go full blast and when running GPU intense stuff like for example the Valley Benchmark, it crashes after a short time (either just the driver which results in a soft-reboot or the PC shuts off). I also notice significantly more coil whine than in Windows.

I can only get it to run stable by applying the PowerPlayTable patch for 1442MHz/1075mV, Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV, SOC: 1199MHz, Temp target: 70, Idle fan: 700rpm. But even then it generates much more heat than under Windows despite the fans running much faster under load. I can only reduce heat by setting the "PP_DisablePowerContainment" to 0. But even with this setting I can't go above 1442MHz or it will start crashing under load.

I am also getting much lower scores in LuxMark compared to others running on the 1442MHz table. They are in-between 24k to 26k.

Any ideas?

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 3:00 AM, okrasit said:

@cmk☆ did you try without the integrated Radeon Pro 560 ?

@okrasit Thanks yes! While I didn't attempt to disable the internal discrete graphics at the system level, the benchmarks are all done with only the Vega FE selected, and my Davinci GPU settings are set to utilize only the Vega FE.

Hi guys!! I have some changes in my VegaTab_64.kext and restore original AMD10000Controller.kext, using Mojave Beta (18A377a), and im not sure if is important to notice, but fan speed was stabilized and looks like score is good. Someone could said if change anything? Im just change some values in PP_FuzzyFanControl set 0 to 1 and another values that @okrasit recomended above. Im using this treads, and im hope so help you. Just tested in Mojave. 

"Fan Speed(%)"=15

"Fan Speed(RPM)"=775

"Temperature(C)"=39

Captura de Tela 2018-08-30 às 14.32.14.png

Captura de Tela 2018-08-30 às 12.46.08.png

Captura de Tela 2018-08-30 às 14.47.05.png

VEGATAB 64 MAX EDITION - PERFECT.zip

MOJAVE AMD10000KEXT 10.14 B7.zip

RepairPermissions.zip

Lilu+Whatevergreen kexts.zip 

Lilu 1.2.6 - WhateverGreen 1.2.1 version.zip New update versions!!!

Edited by max.1974
  • Like 1