Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

Since this is going in a iMac Pro and if apple is testing these then maybe the excessive fan speed is linked to keeping the card cool in the limited space of the iMac.   I would imagine its a fanless card and probably relies on a system fan or two for "radiant" cooling.    However, metal2 is supposed to be a more open configuration and support more devices and the iMac design may have nothing to do with the fan speeds.    The good thing is the performance is much better and less buggy.

After a few days of beta 2 it's like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

It's running better in terms of not crashing, but the Vega is running way hot and something's hitting the GPU constantly even when it's not under load. I'm getting the odd spinning wheel now and then and having to wait for a few seconds just to move a line.

Still, these new issues are constant across the OS rather than a few select softwares, so hopefully they'll see it and fix it pronto (I'm an optimist).

• Like 1

After a few days of beta 2 it's like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

It's running better in terms of not crashing, but the Vega is running way hot and something's hitting the GPU constantly even when it's not under load. I'm getting the odd spinning wheel now and then and having to wait for a few seconds just to move a line.

Still, these new issues are constant across the OS rather than a few select softwares, so hopefully they'll see it and fix it pronto (I'm an optimist).

I’ve notic3d a bit of the spinning beach ball of death myself but not as bad as you. If I wait a bit it goes away, and rebooting seems to get rid of it. Is it happening more after sleep/wake or screen saver mode?

I’ve notic3d a bit of the spinning beach ball of death myself but not as bad as you. If I wait a bit it goes away, and rebooting seems to get rid of it. Is it happening more after sleep/wake or screen saver mode?

Now it's getting super weird.

When I run Safari and run a youtube video, the GPU activity stops. If I run Safari with no video it goes back to the pointless activity.

If I run a video with the window open, I get really bad cinebench scores and the GPU activity lights stay on no activity. If I run the video but minimised I get nearly normal scores and the proper activity lights activity.

If I do all of this on Chrome I always get the pointless GPU activity.

Therefore there must be some issues around metal. As a guess. Because Safari uses metal.

I'll test it longer term and see about the beachball.

You could try these tests to test fan speeds and let me know?

• Like 1

Updated to Beta 3.  The fan is no longer on full, and the power meter lights aren't flickering anymore. 

Man your quick to update. Cheers for the happy news. 

Hopefully this also solves other peoples "small system freezes" (spinning beachball), I have heard about in Beta 2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same problem!

What did you already try to fix it?

which psu do you use?

I have not been able to fix this issue Only running one card. Vega RX is sitting disabled. Have you had any luck?

My PSU:

SeaSonic 1200W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply PLATINUM-1200 ; SS-1200XP3

Updated to Beta4, getting flickering lights and weird fan action.

I have not been able to fix this issue Only running one card. Vega RX is sitting disabled. Have you had any luck?

My PSU:

SeaSonic 1200W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply PLATINUM-1200 ; SS-1200XP3

Hi jnolla.

Try running a youtube video on Safari and see what happens. My flickering lights stop then, I don't know about fans because I'm on water, but it feels like the GPU is running cooler when I do that.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with metal using the GPU memory for something...

Hi jnolla.

Try running a youtube video on Safari and see what happens. My flickering lights stop then, I don't know about fans because I'm on water, but it feels like the GPU is running cooler when I do that.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with metal using the GPU memory for something...

Nope. It actually spikes on utilization. It sits idle if no apps are running on foreground.

I was able to get past the pLimit error. Still can't run two cards working

I get this message multiple times, and then it blacks out.

busy timeout[0], (60s): display

Hi guys, I'm running a Vega 64 LC.

If anyone here is using a Vega card and happens to use FCP, could you share you BruceX results? It seems like my card is not being completely used since my BruceX took around 33-40 seconds. Besides, FCP performance is very poor during editing, making it almost mandatory to use proxy, which I thought should not be the case with this card. 

I'm running High Sierra, tried with beta software but same performance :(

(I'm sorry if this is OT, its my first post so I don't really know this forum that well)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My PSU:

Sorry just answering right now but I am not very often around here.

Yes, I am running 2 Vega 64 on water :)

For running 2 Vega's you have to disable above 4g and then you will pass the busy timeout[0], (60s): display error...

post-2203181-0-26111500-1516088691_thumb.jpeg

post-2203181-0-23046300-1516088819_thumb.jpeg

post-2203181-0-13337000-1516088900_thumb.png

post-2203181-0-33542100-1516088932_thumb.png

post-2203181-0-94660800-1516088981_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

10.13.4 has broken my ports  :wallbash:

1 DP and my HDMI is still ok.

On the plus side, the GPU activity and I'm guessing the fan speed issue has been fixed.

'about my mac' is showing the proper GPU without kexts fixes or patches

post-1564334-0-16531400-1516906169_thumb.png

• Like 1

:wallbash: if it wasnt for the ports being broken we would have a finally working card!

This is beta 1 so hopefully the next few will have it working. I’m reading that the whatevergreen isn’t needed for RX 400-500 cards as well.

I applied the following kext patch:

(name) AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy   (from)  626f6172 642d6964   (to)  626f6172 642d6978   (comment) ©Pike R. Alpha

I also changed ports to 4 in graphics tab, but I don't know if that changed it...

So now the Display Ports are working again :)

Today they're not working. Stupid 10.13.4 

• Like 1

today i installed a VEGA 64 FE card, works without any kexts or patches.

Only one problem  :) the fans spinnig up to full speed after login. Is there a workaround for this?

What version of high sierra are you using?

i use macOS 10.13.4 beta (17E139j)

EDIT: if i play a video in Youtube, then the fans slow down and work normal. I can also top video playback, an fans work normal and quiet.

Right, same as mine. Except I have an EK waterblock so I only get the blue lights winking away at me.

Nobodys found a fix yet.

If I play a video in Chrome nothing slows down, in Safari the light activity stops. Safari is metal and Chrome is openCL, so I guess it has something to do with metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry just answering right now but I am not very often around here.

Yes, I am running 2 Vega 64 on water :)

For running 2 Vega's you have to disable above 4g and then you will pass the busy timeout[0], (60s): display error...

Could you please share how to disable above 4gig?

• 1 month later...

You guys know that it's possible to modify the clocks, voltages, power limit etc, right?

<key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
<data>
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</data>
<key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
<integer>1</integer>

You can do your own settings with:

https://github.com/halsafar/Vega64SoftPowerTableEditor

Just clean the resulting reg file from anything else but hex values -> base64 encode or use Xcode inserting the key data to the Info.plist in the AMD10000Controller.kext.

;)

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 17.06.21.png

Edited by okrasit
luxmark
  • Like 1

now that .4 is out, and apple say that they support the AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 im looking to get it as it looks like a very sweet card for FCPX / Resolve use. How are folks finding the Vegas in 10.13.4 now that we have a release versoin?