[pre-release] macOS High Sierra

3,737 posts in this topic

My testing on my Skylake machine with leaving EmuVariableUEFI in place was not a success. I did not install rc scripts and i removed nvram.plist prior to attempting install. This was from a USB stick created with createinstallmedia and clover 4104 with all other SSD's in my PC. Still returned the OSInstall.mpkg error.

With only 1 SSD in my system to install High Sierra on with the same config as above still results in OSInstall.mpkg error.

With the same config as above minus EmuVariableUEFI i can successfully install High Sierra.

P.S I've also noticed without EmuVariableUEFI when i boot from the install USB i am greeted with the Language screen instead of straight to the macOS Utilities page.

Well it is even simpler than that :D

All you have to do is open up VoodooPS2Controller.kext -> Plugins -> VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext -> info.plist with an editor of your choice and navigate to IOKitPersonalities and change <key>Darwin 16.x</key> to <key>Darwin 17.x</key> and that's it the Prefpane will work as before and your function Keys will do as well. Don't forget to place an unmodified copy of voodooPS2.kext in 10.12 if you use Sierra and HighSierra in a dual boot Setup.

At least this is true for T420 and T420s and I guess other Thinkpads as well ^^

Hmmb, but using @EmlyDinesh ApplePS2SmartTouchpad can not get this value (Darwin 16.x) on Info.plist  :wink_anim:

I believe that is only for users of the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.

Ah OK  :lol: I found somewhere there's modified VoodooPS2Controller to work with ELAN (mine) or ALPS TrackPad.

For get rid of this issue (temporarily) under HS, I'm replacing "/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Trackpad" with 10.11 has, all my TP features work except Dragging << not a good solution though. I remember this Blank TrackPad issue on Pref also happened on Real MBP2009 using HS as well.

#Edit: On Real MBP2009 it's detected as USB mouse with no device found under TrackPad.pref

Ah OK I found somewhere there's modified VoodooPS2Controller to work with ELAN (mine) or ALPS TrackPad.

For get rid of this issue (temporarily) under HS, I'm replacing "/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Trackpad" with 10.11 has, all my TP features work except Dragging << not a good solution though. I remember this Blank TrackPad issue on Pref also happened on Real MBP2009 using HS as well.

#Edit: On Real MBP2009 it's detected as USB mouse with no device found under TrackPad.pref

Do you have realmac 2009?

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Ah OK  :lol: I found somewhere there's modified VoodooPS2Controller to work with ELAN (mine) or ALPS TrackPad.

Please tell me where you find modified VoodooPS2Controller with ELAN supports.

Awesome, no longer get OSInstall.mpkg error while install High Sierra Beta with these configs on my 2nd Gen mach:

OS Version: macOS 10.13 Beta (17A264c) aka DP1
USB Installer Method: createinstallmedia
Bootloader: Clover v2.4k r4104 (install w/o rc.script on USB's ESP)
Mode-Scheme: Legacy-GPT
SMBios: MBP10,1 (default values generated by Clover Configurator v4.44.0)
For kexts/Other:
~ FakeSMC v6.25.1426
~ ApplePS2SmartTouchpad v4.6.8
~ AppleSMC.kext (w/o it, my install stucks on "Failed ACPICPU, MCHC, bla bla bla..", but on Post Install it's not required, strange!)
Also: Deleted nvram.plist found on all EFI Partitions if any. (for succeeded Install purpose only)

Thanks to all of You, Guys..  :thumbsup_anim:

#Edit: I got no issue with multi OSes (there're Wind*ws, Ubuntu and OSX 10.11.6) within another partitions on same HDD while Pre-Install.

• Like 2

What about UEFI?

Ah OK, I got Installation screen. But the problem is I'm not sure it's using Legacy or UEFI mode.

My bad, it was 2017 and I have no experience with UEFI at all.  :lol:

Below is my preboot.log, r4104 was using "Install for UEFI booting only" (no boot binary on ESP root), I also deleted "drivers64" folder and use only "drivers64UEFI" (w/o EmuVariableUefi-64). OFC, I've enabled it on my BIOS and boot from "UEFI: Boot USB FLASHDISK". Thanks.

preboot.log.zip

Sorry, but EmuVariableUefi is useless without RC scripts. It simple didn't work and didn't create nvram.plist. Problem is in one specific key added by EmuVariableUefi in nvram.plist. What key i don't know. Don't have time for tests but i'll try to find it this weekend.

Well, maybe for the USB installer we can skip the RC script to avoid the OSInstall.mpkg error but for the installed version of the macOS High Sierra we can instill RC Scripts on the HDD because the error is happening while we want to install the macOS High Sierra but after the installation is complete there will be no OSInstall.mpkg error.

So if any one is up to the task please test it and report back. I will test this myself later when I have the time :)

• Like 1

My testing on my Skylake machine with leaving EmuVariableUEFI in place was not a success. I did not install rc scripts and i removed nvram.plist prior to attempting install. This was from a USB stick created with createinstallmedia and clover 4104 with all other SSD's in my PC. Still returned the OSInstall.mpkg error.

With only 1 SSD in my system to install High Sierra on with the same config as above still results in OSInstall.mpkg error.

With the same config as above minus EmuVariableUEFI i can successfully install High Sierra.

P.S I've also noticed without EmuVariableUEFI when i boot from the install USB i am greeted with the Language screen instead of straight to the macOS Utilities page.

Well, maybe for the USB installer we can skip the RC script to avoid the OSInstall.mpkg error but for the installed version of the macOS High Sierra we can instill RC Scripts on the HDD because the error is happening while we want to install the macOS High Sierra but after the installation is complete there will be no OSInstall.mpkg error.

So if any one is up to the task please test it and report back. I will test this myself later when I have the time :)

Question about SSD :

Is this Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go a good improuvment to use with  APFS High Sierra  ?

macOS High Sierra has no issues with the SSD disk drives regarding the speed and the performance, the better the SSD the better the performance and yes the NVMe PCI-Express SSDs perform much faster and as I understand the NVMe is working natively in macOS High Sierra.

I have seen the welcome screen without having the EmuVariableUEFI.efi installed and it's because there is no nvram to read the settings like preferred language or region selected by the OS or WiFi networks etc.

There are two styles fro the installation process:

1. With the EmuVariableUEFI.efi installed you don't get the Language Chooser and the OS installation will continue in the recovery mode to continue the second stage of the process

2. Without the EmuVariableUEFI.efi you'll need to choose the language and the second stage of the installation will continue on a gray or black screen (The color is based on the SMBIOS) with the Apple logo and the progress bar just like when you install the OS updates or the security updates.

• Like 1

Hello @chris111; I still get no "Darwin: 16.x" value within VoodooPS2Controller's Info.plist I'm using below, plz check. Thanks  :)

Used latest Build ➤ VoodooPS2

Contents/plugins/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

• Like 1

@Arsradu and @polyzargone

I installed macOS High Sierra on a 6 GB/s 7200 RPM hdd formatted as APFS and at first it was as slow as expected but after rebuilding the kernel cache and upon reboot the speed is noticeably faster. I just thought that you might be interested,

sudo nvram -c
sudo purge
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
  • Like 4

Ok, guys. So let's resume our talk about the Apple ID lock down when adding a new device. I said I'll come back with more information when I have it, so here I am. Sorry about the delay. It's been crazy busy these days.

So I managed to fix the other config that was causing the lock down on my end. And logged in again so it can add the device to my Apple iCloud account. I don't wanna jump into conclusions just yet, but...so far so good. I'll keep you posted if anything changes in the future.

Now, one of the issues (most likely not the main one, but one of them and the one that started all this in the first place) was that, since I was using a Skylake build, I chose iMac17,1 system definition for the SMBIOS. Now, with that system definition, and since I was using an Nvidia card with no OOB support (so using Nvidia's drivers for acceleration), I was getting a black screen for the second stage boot. Googling a bit revealed that this happens because that system basically expects a 5K display. :) Which...well, I didn't have. :))

But, apparently, one of our devs figured out a solution and implemented a fix, using Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext plugin (shoutout and many thanks to @vit9696 for the awesome work on this), which can be loaded very easily from Clover/kexts. If you've never used Lilu + AppleALC to fix your sound, I would highly recommend it, as well.

So that fixed the black screen so I could use the more-or-less appropriate system definition for the CPU. But I doubt that was the reason for the account issues. And after fiddling around with the system serial number, MLB, ROM, SmUUID and all those goodies, I managed to find a combination that seems to work...for now. :) So I tried that. And, as I said above, so far so good.

So, it's conclusion time.

Is this related to the OS (meaning Sierra vs High Sierra)? Well, in my experience, with my tests, I would say no. Is it related to the SMBIOS and the information in the config.plist? So far, I would say yes. Especially if you add an "unsecured" device as new device to your account. So that's where I would start debugging this issue. And don't forget to remove/unlink that device from your account before anything.

And...rule of thumb (or you can choose any other finger or toe, if you want), if your computer starts asking for your Apple ID on startup to "fix a problem", check your config before adding that device to any other account.

@Arsradu and @polyzargone

I installed macOS High Sierra on a 6 GB/s 7200 RPM hdd formatted as APFS and at first it was as slow as expected but after rebuilding the kernel cache and upon reboot the speed is noticeably faster. I just thought that you might be interested,

sudo nvram -c
sudo purge
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

So as I suspected, it is a matter of caches...

Thanks for sharing cyberdevs. :)

• Like 1

my first attempt...I have installed 10.13 on external SSD on my MBP and than just boot it with my current configuration everything looks fine at the beginning pass many things but than stuck on "disk not ready"

how can i make this disk bootable?

thanks!

my first attempt...I have installed 10.13 on external SSD on my MBP and than just boot it with my current configuration everything looks fine at the beginning pass many things but than stuck on "disk not ready"

how can i make this disk bootable?

thanks!

You can make it bootable by installing Clover on you external SSD. You can also mount the EFI partitions on your bootable HDD and the SSD and copy the working EFI folder that you use for your sierra, the only thing that you need to change is to copy the /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 to /EFI/Clover/kexts/other

@MICKHAEL

Does you pc boot ok from hdd? if so copy the ACPI, config.plist and kexts to the the USB disk's EFI partition and try again. make sure you have all the necessary kext files in the "Other" folder

@MICKHAEL

Does you pc boot ok from hdd? if so copy the ACPI, config.plist and kexts to the the USB disk's EFI partition and try again. make sure you have all the necessary kext files in the "Other" folder

On nvme is sierra 10.12.5. managed to boot high Sierra beta 1 but something is changed in beta 2 and it's not booting... Any ideas?

I must missing something...

On nvme is sierra 10.12.5. managed to boot high Sierra beta 1 but something is changed in beta 2 and it's not booting... Any ideas?

NVMe needs to be patched to work in sierra but in high sierra it works OOB, so disable all the NVMe patches and try again.