Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra on HP 800 G1 USDT,SFF and Tower PC's

Donw35
430 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

For those who have reboot in 3-5 sec after starting Mac OS (after seeing +++++ pattern), you can try to enable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in BIOS (Security -> System security).

Tested on HP 800 G1 DM with High Sierra.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded my second hack which is an HP 400 G2 from 10.13.6 to 10.15.3.  Previously the auto-sleep worked fine but now doesn't seem to be working - the display turns off fine but it doesn't go to sleep.  I can manually sleep it and it will resume fine.  My other hack which is an HP 800 G1 USDT goes to sleep fine.  Any ideas?

UPDATE: I ran pmset -g and it said sleep was being prevented by mdsync so I killed the process and it has now gone to sleep.  I think this is a Spotlight process so presumably will come back on restart?  Not sure why this process should be preventing sleep.

UPDATE2: I rebuilt the Spotlight index by dragging the Macintosh HD to the Privacy tab on Spotlight settings, letting it remove all of the cached results and then removed the HD from the Privacy tab.  Once the Spotlight index search finished it now seems to be auto sleeping fine again.

Edited by brookheather

Hello @Donw35, thanks a lot for keeping this guide always updated.

I just bought a used 800 G1 SFF,  already researching how to hack it ;) I have some hackintosh experiences, obviously not a lot. After reviewing your EFI, I have two points seeking your advice:

• ACPI -> AddIMEI [ON] & Graphic -> InjectIntel [On]: so you're doing Intel FB patch, these two options are suggested to be OFF. Is there particular reason to have them ON as your EFI?
  • USB Fix: is the USBMap.kext used to activate USB? With that, USB port limit kext patch still needed? For example SFF has 6 USB ports, if they are activated precisely using this kext, only 12 ports are occupied; this isn't exceed 15 ports limit.

Edited by semson

Hey Semson, thanks and good catch, probably just stuff I forgot to change along the way, I did remove them and things still work, although no differently. USBMap.kext is was created using the USBMap process, you can find it when you search on it. seems to work. the USB3 port that works at that speed reliably is the one in the back at the bottom.

If you come up with improvements by al means, share..

THanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 11:02 PM, Donw35 said:

Hi @Donw35
thanks for your great work!  you made my day :thumbsup_anim:

did you trying for HWmonitor? i can't see my CPU temp:help:
SMCProcessor.kext & SMCSuperIO.kext is beside VirtualSMC.kext in efi drive as you shared your usb-files

Edited by r4vani
add cpu

On 11/25/2017 at 12:15 PM, cgreg said:

Thanks for the write-up! I got it installed on my HP ElitrDesk 800 G1 USDT and booted properly on the first try although it took a while to get everything right in clover and cover configurator.

The only issue was not knowing that I was supposed to do everything with the config.plist from my real MacBook Pro when setting up. After I realized that it was much easier. I had never used clover configurator so I had to learn where everything was like the text option at the bottom where I was able to copy pasta your plist.

Now if I could get the audio to come through the HDMI I'll be all set! But the speaker from the machine will work fine.

EDIT: Couldn't find where this older post was answered.  I originally posted information that would work, but had some sleep issues; this is now corrected in the response below.

I have an RX 580 Saphire Nitro+ 4gb HDMI connection. I know this is a different hardware configuration than stock, but you mentioned HDMI, which doesn't come standard on the 800 G1.  

For this graphics card, I deleted VoodooHDA, which made the HDMI audio work. The RX 580 and several other graphics cards work natively and do not require audio fixes if running audio through the HDMI. It is also compatible with the AppleALC kext if configured properly, but I do not need the onboard audio for my setup. 

For some reason, also, my boot time became crazy slow after transferring the components to an old PowerMac case. I was getting stuck at gIOscreenlockstate 3 for about a minute or two before finally reaching the login screen. I unchecked Inject Intel in Clover Configurator and in the Bios turned off integrated graphics completely in the Advanced tab (setting the RX 580 as the primary boot GPU was not enough). The system boots up fairly quickly now and sleep works with Hibernation disabled.  There are still some Sound Assertions and maybe other minor boot time issues, but I'm very satisfied with the setup at this point and am not going to do anymore troubleshooting for the time being (until I get the tinkering bug again). 

Also, thanks Donw35 for the guide and everyone else on this thread!

Edited by danny7g1
Error

Thank you very much, I just bought the HP EliteDesk 800 G1 and used your clover files it is working fantastic. Everything works, the only thing I had to change from the kext folder was to delete the VirtualSMC. Then I downloaded FakeSMC folder by RehabMan (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek) Then put in all the files from that folder so I can see the temperatures of my CPU, GPU and ETC. Other than that it's brilliant and I love my 800 G1 I just need to upgrade CPU to an i7 4790 and I will be very happy. 

Edit: I forgot to mention atm I have a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF, with an i5 4590, Asus GT 710 2GB DDR5, 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Ram, 2tb SSD for storage and 256GB SSD for boot drive. A Fenvi T919 Bluetooth and Wifi Card with BCM94360CD. With 2x 24inch 1920x1080p Panels.

Edited by Hellzy

On 3/4/2020 at 5:42 AM, Donw35 said:

excellent @hellzy, I started using VirtualSMC.kext because it offered better sleep and wake but your experience with vary. 

Enjoy 

Yeah at the moment everything works even the sleep and wake functions. I have been using my Hackintosh for the last few days non stop it sleeps and when I hit the keyboard it wakes. No restarts or problems so far. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:49 AM, rhyker2u said:

From a hardware perspective the nvidia 1050(ti) is also the highest GPU upgrade officially recommended by HP in the tower / TWR model according the specsheets. The highest AMD RX that will work without using an additional / replacement PSU. To power the possible 6-pin connector at the RX560, is to get a mSATA to 6-pin converter cable (can be held pretty much at every local computer retailer costs a few bucks). But, according to a benchmark site like https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-560/3649vs3926 and/or https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Radeon-RX-560/3595vs3708 that 'upgrade' from nvidia to AMD -- to be compatible with Mojave (at this time as put forward by @Donw35) -- does mean a considerable performance loss of roughly 25%. In short: 1050ti is indeed the better videocard in a triple boot environment where Windows gaming is important. A proper a wortwhile price/performance upgrade in most TWR scenario's -- for any OS where GPU performance matters -- would be to get a RX 570 with 8GB RAM. Usually cheaper than a RX 580 with 4GB. And the additional 4GB VRAM is more important for textures in Windows gaming than the 15% performance gain of RX580 (so I've been told), but does involve some hardware modding as explained in my prior post on page 3.

The main reason Apple ditched NVIDIA is due to their Metal API because their GPUs are designed for DirectX 11 (their larger user base). NVIDIA doesn’t do well  with any advanced/low level API like DirectX 12, Metal and Vulkan. AMD is designed for these advanced APIs so their cards pull ahead, drastically in some applications. That being said, the RX560 will likely run circles around a 1050Ti under Metal but then again we will not be able to see this until applications are actually designed from the ground up in the near future and Apple is confident they are ready to ditch NVIDIA and Intel all together. 

Edited by mRayE

3 hours ago, Donw35 said:

USB_Clover is the EFI folder you would use if creating a USB Installer.

The other is the EFI you would use for the local HDD

Thank you.

I use AppleALC instead voodoohda , sound is much better 

I have the HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF (i5-4570) in which the EliteDesk G1 only has a little extra I/O. It’s listed that only a few of your USB ports  work. All mine work - USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, front and back. I would love to get a 4K monitor but it’s seems you have no success with using the iGPU and DisplayPort. I guess I will get a AMD RX560 LP for my 4K solution.  I can confirm the cheap BestBuy brand DisplayPort to HDMI works. 

Request: I would rewrite the process with the USB Clover description because I did it two times without success until I figured out what it all meant. Just in case newbies like myself visits lol. 

Thanks so much for creating these folders man. 

1. Partition the USB 
  2. Use Clover EFI Bootloader that generates content to be installed on USB (use any tutorial)
  3. Use Clover Configurator and “mount” EFI partition. Open mounted partition...
  4. Download the “USB_CLOVER folder” provided below, place the sub folders inside  “EFI” folder previously mounted (Drivers, Patches and Kexts you need to boot up and install Mac OS) 
  5. Unmount EFI partition (very important), Place the Clover Configurator app inside USB  
  6. Use any tutorial to install macOS on computer. Once macOS is fully installed, use Clover Configurator to Mount the EFI partition on the drive in which MacOS is installed. Open the EFI partition....
  7. Download the “Desktop Clover” folder provided below and follow the same steps for “USB Clover Folder” Afterwards, Unmount EFI partition.
Edited by mRayE

I haven't tested 4k in some time but it should work, I just don't have a 4K screen on that machine, that would be asking a lot form the igpu anyways.