[RYZEN] macOS 10.12.x (Sierra) Kernel Research&Development Thread

Sinetek

774 posts in this topic

Okay thank you for the quick reply. I am looking to move full steam ahead with completing this build. I have $500 to put toward a cpu cooler, graphics card, and power supply.

I am entering into video broadcasting and need more power! I find ram is not the problem but CPU.

The new build so far is:

AMD 1600x

Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming

16GB (8x2) Corsair 3000mhz

My last build was built circa 2013

Intel i7 3700K @ 4.5ghz

Gigabyte Z77X UD5H

Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Gigabyte 'windforce edition'

32GB (8x4) Corsair 1600mhz

These  AMD HD7xxx, HD8xxx, R9 270, 280x cards are only available used I see or from third parties on Amazon.

When you say "helper card" that means I need both?

Helper card would be needed for R9 Fury, 370, 380, RX 4xx models, the newer ones. The older ones (used) work out of box and run solo.

A good $30 starter card is the GT210, 710 etc. Once the system is running you can add a better AMD card or wait for Vega to release.

For now there is no solution available for Nvidia Maxwell and Pascal cards, they run poorly with Ryzen.

Helper card would be needed for R9 Fury, 370, 380, RX 4xx models, the newer ones. The older ones (used) work out of box and run solo.

A good $30 starter card is the GT210, 710 etc. Once the system is running you can add a better AMD card or wait for Vega to release.

For now there is no solution available for Nvidia Maxwell and Pascal cards, they run poorly with Ryzen.

NV maxwell / pascal malfunctions on Intel CPU as well  ;)

True, but Web Drivers work much better for Intel CPUs than Ryzen.

Maxwell works much better with El Capitan, Sierra is a real catastrophe for nV GPUs in general and especially for Pascal, my old GTX 950 that I got rid of for these poor OS X performance in general, the GTX 1050, similar GPU also works Wrong, I keep it for to spend the summer because it heats very little, I'd get rid of this fall for real AMD GPUs that work much better. ;) 

What are people using for CPU cooler? Prices for an AM4 compatible cooler seems nutty. I need this workstation to function under load of transcoding multiple h264 streams. 

Noctua NH-D15, NH-U12S or can someone recommend something cheaper and still good?

https://www.topachat.com/pages/produits_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_reliq_puis_f_est_245-8540.html

;) 

Cooler Master $30 works pretty well I saw a YouTube comparing it to stock wraith cooler and water cooler, it held its won against the water cooler. It's huge and you want to put your ram in first but it's inexpensive and works much better than stock cooler.

Maxwell works much better with El Capitan, Sierra is a real catastrophe for nV GPUs in general and especially for Pascal, my old GTX 950 that I got rid of for these poor OS X performance in general, the GTX 1050, similar GPU also works Wrong, I keep it for to spend the summer because it heats very little, I'd get rid of this fall for real AMD GPUs that work much better. ;)

It's been speculated (guessed) that the pascal drivers are working off of the Maxwell drivers from El Capitan and that the pascal cards can't work to full Pascal potential because they are mimicking Maxwell architecture. Looking at performance it makes sense because a 1080 is not much if at all better than a 980 in OS Sierra.

However there are some that have been able to configure their pascal cards to work very well but mostly for specific apps, just as AMD cards outperform Nvidia in other apps.

It's been speculated (guessed) that the pascal drivers are working off of the Maxwell drivers from El Capitan and that the pascal cards can't work to full Pascal potential because they are mimicking Maxwell architecture. Looking at performance it makes sense because a 1080 is not much if at all better than a 980 in OS Sierra.

However there are some that have been able to configure their pascal cards to work very well but mostly for specific apps, just as AMD cards outperform Nvidia in other apps.

The big difference is that AMD GPU works well everywhere (Apple general soft;)
It only remains cuda and Adobe mainly! NV has no interest in OS X and that's a shame.

The big difference is that AMD GPU works well everywhere (Apple general soft;)

It only remains cuda and Adobe mainly! NV has no interest in OS X and that's a shame.

I wonder if Apple has no or very little interest in Nvidia? Apple knows that Nvidia makes web drivers to allow apple owners to buy and use non-apple hardware, they (Apple) lose money. AMD has played along with apple by not releasing special drivers and reap the benefits of loyalty. Hackintoshers are probably the biggest beneficiaries of the Web Drivers just look at how many people on this and other forums are using pascal cards these days.

I think Nvidia needs to get a card in an apple product soon so they can get a foot in the door to create better drivers.

I wonder if Apple has no or very little interest in Nvidia? Apple knows that Nvidia makes web drivers to allow apple owners to buy and use non-apple hardware, they (Apple) lose money. AMD has played along with apple by not releasing special drivers and reap the benefits of loyalty. Hackintoshers are probably the biggest beneficiaries of the Web Drivers just look at how many people on this and other forums are using pascal cards these days.

I think Nvidia needs to get a card in an apple product soon so they can get a foot in the door to create better drivers.

The problem is that there is a general "omerta" of owners of GPU nV and do not want to see reality in front, it's painful in the end! If everyone talked about it, we would advance the development of these pitiful pilots but good, everyone but not me, a GPU that works well under Linux or Windows has no reason to malfunction on mac OS

I bought GTX pascal to understand the problems on mac OS, the GPU does not accelerate in most applications, no x264 / x265 decoding, it was exactly the same with the GTX 950 / 3930k, I Edited AGPM.plist and nothing better, I'm still looking ...........

• Like 1

Hey guys. Can someone please test this out on a test partition. I've been looking at how to add support and wish to know if I got it right :) Only test on a test partition incase it doesn't work. 

Thanks.

Thanks man!

Which MacOS version? 

Hey guys. Can someone please test this out on a test partition. I've been looking at how to add support and wish to know if I got it right :) Only test on a test partition incase it doesn't work. 

Thanks.

Thanks for this new kernel which can boot to desktop in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.12.6, but its performance  was very bad by Cine Bench R15 & it took triple time to desktop than Bronya's kernel. Also too many app crashed immediately on open. Please fix it as soon as you can.

For FX-6300 hackintosh it can not boot to desktop at 10.12.4, but it can boot to desktop at 10.12.6 with many Lilu-related errors. Also many app crashed immediately on open. But Cine Bench R15 scores were similar to previous kernel.

post-70188-0-50743800-1502413062_thumb.png

post-70188-0-92725600-1502447319_thumb.png

Thanks for this new kernel which can boot to desktop in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.12.6, but its performance  was very bad by Cine Bench R15 & it took triple time to desktop than Bronya's kernel. Also too many app crashed immediately on open. Please fix it as soon as you can.

For FX-6300 hackintosh it can not boot to desktop at 10.12.4, but it can boot to desktop at 10.12.6 with many Lilu-related errors. Also many app crashed immediately on open. But Cine Bench R15 scores were similar to previous kernel.

Thanks for testing. It boots so I'm on the right path. Was hoping the Lilu errors would be fixed as this kernel doesn't have the OPEMU. Can you send me the output of sysctl -a from my kernel and one from Bronya's please.

is this working for FX or Apu?

It boots my FX on 10.12.6

• Like 1

Thanks for testing. It boots so I'm on the right path. Was hoping the Lilu errors would be fixed as this kernel doesn't have the OPEMU. Can you send me the output of sysctl -a from my kernel and one from Bronya's please.

Bronya.txt from Bronya's kernel and Shaneee.txt from yours.

Both were tested in Ryzen 1700X hackintosh at 10.12.6.

Bronya.txt

Shaneee.txt

• Like 1

Congratulations for your new source :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Thanks.

what did you say ???

I gave you the source , but why are you silent about this ???
what  respect ??
  • Like 1

Thanks jsl. Seems my TSC and cache values are off. I'll look into it.

Edit: Please test,

Thanks for this test2 kernel which can boot to desktop in FX-6300 hackintosh at 10.12.6 (sysctl -a in FX-6300.txt), but unfortunately it can NOT be booted by Enoch/Bronya bootloader or CLOVER EFI in my Ryzen 1700X hackintosh !

FX-6300.txt

• Like 1